Why not merge legacy and official servers?

CarpeDiemIn

On 4/17/2018 at 11:23 PM, VoidScape said:

As I've always heard Legacy servers were affected by a massive number of dupes/exploits prior to release that were fixed at release and that is why they are separated. Not sure if this is for sure the reasoning but it makes sense.

This is true however a lot of the same exploits were executed on the new. Not nearly the same amount as dupeing (at least so I heard) I can’t confirm. It was not worth the time after the patch as it was more difficult and time consuming and produced little results. At this point the only things that separate the two are the names “legacy and official” and Dino stats which could be nerfed if needed.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AngryGamer666 said:

Whats the point as Officials are now as empty as Legacy. Even the Alphas are dying off, nobody is interested in pillared off lagging servers anymore.

YEah, servers might be empty with players but ppl keep on resetting and servers are tame capped anyway.

I know i will get some hate for that what I'm about to say but Legacy has no space or no real reason to exist anymore. You cannot expect to keep stuff what you have played in alpha. Every other game which gets fully released deletes your savings, if you want your stuff from legacy download the files and make your own server, its just wasted space for the people who want to enjoy the OFFICIAL Game. Legacy is the reason why there are still not enough servers to help fight against the problem with tame caps.

I really hope that Legacy servers are shut down some day, so they release atleast 20 new servers to give people a chance to play. Nowdays you have to get lucky to tame a dino - and that is the core mechanic of this game!

8 minutes ago, FluffyDinoPartey said:

YEah, servers might be empty with players but ppl keep on resetting and servers are tame capped anyway.

I know i will get some hate for that what I'm about to say but Legacy has no space or no real reason to exist anymore. You cannot expect to keep stuff what you have played in alpha. Every other game which gets fully released deletes your savings, if you want your stuff from legacy download the files and make your own server, its just wasted space for the people who want to enjoy the OFFICIAL Game. Legacy is the reason why there are still not enough servers to help fight against the problem with tame caps.

I really hope that Legacy servers are shut down some day, so they release atleast 20 new servers to give people a chance to play. Nowdays you have to get lucky to tame a dino - and that is the core mechanic of this game!

No hate but I am unaware Of any game of this type of platform that had a 2 year beta and deleted servers. By a merge it would add more people on the cluster. Not to mention there are many vacant servers on legacy as well witch would add to the official that would fix any issues that you have mentioned. If legacy was to be deleted I know my self and many others would no longer invest in wildcards ventures. That would be a bad PR move.

alpha or beta indicates that it is not the release build, so people should be aware like in any game, any progress made (doesnt matter how long) will be wiped. not many games have betas/alphas that take that long, I'm aware of that but still, Conan Exiles had Early Acces for 1 year or a little longer - they wipe every official server, only the unofficial will stay of course. Just to mention one game

Merging economy which had been there before official launch would have been a catastrophe, there wouldnt be the need to farm rex stats for instance or start to breed colours because you could just buy them from day 1- if they merge ARK becomes only a game where to farm currency to buy stuff, theres would be no more effort to breed on your own for instance. I hope you see my point

1 minute ago, FluffyDinoPartey said:

alpha or beta indicates that it is not the release build, so people should be aware like in any game, any progress made (doesnt matter how long) will be wiped. not many games have betas/alphas that take that long, I'm aware of that but still, Conan Exiles had Early Acces for 1 year or a little longer - they wipe every official server, only the unofficial will stay of course. Just to mention one game

Merging economy which had been there before official launch would have been a catastrophe, there wouldnt be the need to farm rex stats for instance or start to breed colours because you could just buy them from day 1- if they merge ARK becomes only a game where to farm currency to buy stuff, theres would be no more effort to breed on your own for instance. I hope you see my point

I was unaware that Conan was similar. However wild card did state that there would be no wipe. As far as farmin rexes the color scheme as of now are identical on both legacy and new and if there is a stats issues that could be a resolved via nerf similar to that of the flyer nerf. All I am trying to say is that the two are not as different as everyone believes and any issues could be resolved in a nerf which wildcard has done before. From what I have seen from the new that stat boosts on tames progress much faster than it did on legacy. 1/12 on legacy for giga melee 345 on hatch/ new 7 months that’s just one example.

I think you don't understand what I mean.

IF tamed Rexes where already there with lets say 16khp and 600 melee damage base, why would anyone tame Rexes to try to get better stats?!

There would be no reason to do so, basically the core mechanic of the game would be useless if everything from legacy would have transferred over, on PvE Servers you wouldnt even stand a chance to play, new players would have a worse expirience with Tribes already been on the map and stuff.

I know they say they won't wipe the servers but i really hope they do.

16 minutes ago, FluffyDinoPartey said:

I think you don't understand what I mean.

IF tamed Rexes where already there with lets say 16khp and 600 melee damage base, why would anyone tame Rexes to try to get better stats?!

There would be no reason to do so, basically the core mechanic of the game would be useless if everything from legacy would have transferred over, on PvE Servers you wouldnt even stand a chance to play, new players would have a worse expirience with Tribes already been on the map and stuff.

I know they say they won't wipe the servers but i really hope they do.

Ok I apologize I am referring to PVP as I never played PVE. On PVP you won’t get a tamed rex with 600 melee

18 hours ago, CobraForce said:

My name is Cobra I'm an admin in a strong tribe on legacy and call for a petition to merge legacy and official. I've never duped ever and don't believe I should have to lose everything just cuz others have cheated the game. I have two colored wyverns that I will not leave behind.

I played on legacy and never duped either. For close to 18 months I HARDCORE slaved away on my bases on my my servers, and in the end some troll hitting the server wanted to paint his dinos so we traded him 500 paint for AN ENTIRE VAULT OF TEK BEHEMOTH GATES. if you think new servers have the same duping problem you are out of your dam mind. So I quit because it doesn't matter if YOU dupe, if you raid someone else and they duped, now you have an impossible amount of gear. we still have a tribe on a legacy server a guy won't give up on and he just demos tek cloning chambers and such for materials and literally hasn't farmed once since game release. 

As for the whole "but my character is high lvl =(" thing, I have 3 level 100s already, and 2 level 80+.  Grind wood for 2 days and be level 100. I have no pity towards this matter. It's been so long you've forgotten how easy leveling is. My character was level 64 on day one of release. No tame, no base, just skill and ability. Get sum

6 hours ago, CarpeDiemIn said:

This is true however a lot of the same exploits were executed on the new. Not nearly the same amount as dupeing (at least so I heard) I can’t confirm. It was not worth the time after the patch as it was more difficult and time consuming and produced little results. At this point the only things that separate the two are the names “legacy and official” and Dino stats which could be nerfed if needed.

This is actually what needs to happen. As stated the only thing separating the 2 is Dino stats and those are easily patch and need they have done it before.

On 4/18/2018 at 2:05 PM, CobraForce said:

My name is Cobra I'm an admin in a strong tribe on legacy and call for a petition to merge legacy and official. I've never duped ever and don't believe I should have to lose everything just cuz others have cheated the game. I have two colored wyverns that I will not leave behind.

lol my good quetzals too

They need to stop giving everyone the run around and either just wipe them all NOW and repurpose them, or just leave them be and stop calling them legacy. The word Legacy has an inevitable 'wipe' associated with it, whereas if they just rename the cluster group as something else to rid of the 'inevitable wipe' tied to it, and keep them on their own cluster, they will fill up again. If it was up to me, I'd say keep them and rename the cluster pool. Then up the rates on them to populate them. Either/or, the run around on the 'inevitable wipe' is just really.. really.. unnecessary. Again, wipe them all now.. or leave them be and up the rates + rename the cluster. 

Whatever the real reason is  for segregating them , resolve this stupidness. 

18 hours ago, Sphere said:

Instead of losing everything, I opened my own servers and moved over to there with a bunch of other players. I also am able to open up a copy of any legacy server, and allow others to move in with me.

This is a real solution now, rather than hoping that Wildcard will have some sense to either close or merge.

I believe this option is only available for certain platforms and pve. Please correct me if I am mistaken 

"The Great Migration" aimed to block the dumpers, taking new maps for the players, but it was not possible to stop the dumpers until now. That was WildCard's biggest mistake. The correct would be to solve the problem and then make the "big migration" to other servers. Unfortunately, there is no way to fix and block dumpers and other problems, which we can not admit under any circumstances, the company writes its internal policy by suppressing the right of the honest consumer who paid for the game and who is not to blame for the mistakes that WildCard has not yet has a solution. In summary Legally speaking, Wildcard has to support both the new server and the legacy.
As it was not possible to bar the dumpers, the correct thing, in my opinion, is to unify the servers, this detail will happen soon as the Wildcard team finds a suitable solution to block the dumpers.

On 4/19/2018 at 8:22 AM, Rhinenorr said:

I played on legacy and never duped either. For close to 18 months I HARDCORE slaved away on my bases on my my servers, and in the end some troll hitting the server wanted to paint his dinos so we traded him 500 paint for AN ENTIRE VAULT OF TEK BEHEMOTH GATES. if you think new servers have the same duping problem you are out of your dam mind. So I quit because it doesn't matter if YOU dupe, if you raid someone else and they duped, now you have an impossible amount of gear. we still have a tribe on a legacy server a guy won't give up on and he just demos tek cloning chambers and such for materials and literally hasn't farmed once since game release. 

As for the whole "but my character is high lvl =(" thing, I have 3 level 100s already, and 2 level 80+.  Grind wood for 2 days and be level 100. I have no pity towards this matter. It's been so long you've forgotten how easy leveling is. My character was level 64 on day one of release. No tame, no base, just skill and ability. Get sum

Np however I can't bring my dragons with me sorry can't just leave them. Another thing I feel that releveling is a little redundant and I won't do it.

As a old timer legacy player I made the move, finally to a new official server. It’s fun but has some serious issues, rag server I am on already tamed cap, island server had like 150- 200 ping all day. Problem is to many players on those servers. It’s time bury legacy servers now and make new server so people can play with less overcrowded servers.  

On 4/17/2018 at 11:23 PM, VoidScape said:

As I've always heard Legacy servers were affected by a massive number of dupes/exploits prior to release that were fixed at release and that is why they are separated. Not sure if this is for sure the reasoning but it makes sense.

Its what WildCard is saying, but from what I hear, their efforts to fix these issues on their re-purposed servers post-launch have been ineffective, thus the new code of conduct. The way I see it, they just don't have the time, resources, or desire to go through every remaining legacy server, go door-to-door to every tribe to personally inspect them all to make sure they are playing honestly. 

Cheaters are going to cheat, if for no other reason than to find and prove that there are ways to do it. For now, this is probably the best thing WildCard could do, ineffective as it is. 

You have a smaller pop on the legacy servers, that gives them a narrower point of focus to see what possible loopholes cheaters are utilizing, and then, in turn, find ways to patch them in the main game. In short, you have a Control sample (the repurposed, official servers) and you have your experimental sample (legacy servers.)

On 4/19/2018 at 7:16 AM, iStephano said:

I agree on that, they should at least allow a naked toon to be transferred to the new official servers. I do not see any harm in that, we spend a lot of time getting the end game tekgrams and get your char deleted so you need to redo all again is a real kick in the “coconut”. 

Legacy players have spend a lot of time already with that char so.. 

Legacy players were also warned and chose to stay on legacy servers.

Personaly i think WC should have wiped on release. But had backed themselves into a corner when they, much earlier said they would not.

The purpose of legacy servers is to motivate pple into wiping themselves.... that is why they will never allow legacy characters to move off legacy servers.

12 hours ago, Extraterrestrial said:

Its what WildCard is saying, but from what I hear, their efforts to fix these issues on their re-purposed servers post-launch have been ineffective, thus the new code of conduct. The way I see it, they just don't have the time, resources, or desire to go through every remaining legacy server, go door-to-door to every tribe to personally inspect them all to make sure they are playing honestly. 

Cheaters are going to cheat, if for no other reason than to find and prove that there are ways to do it. For now, this is probably the best thing WildCard could do, ineffective as it is. 

You have a smaller pop on the legacy servers, that gives them a narrower point of focus to see what possible loopholes cheaters are utilizing, and then, in turn, find ways to patch them in the main game. In short, you have a Control sample (the repurposed, official servers) and you have your experimental sample (legacy servers.)

The legacy receives the same updates as the new ( I also believe they’re all on nitrido servers now since amazon no longer has the contract). If there are cheating exploits they would be discovered on the new servers first as you have a larger player pop looking for these exploits. If you move the legacy servers ie.. either change a code or create an image of the legacy servers and combine the 2 clusters you would retain a player base and would not risk losing players. This would maintain a demand for the product and not risking a loss of players.

8 hours ago, Vesuvious said:

Legacy players were also warned and chose to stay on legacy servers.

Personaly i think WC should have wiped on release. But had backed themselves into a corner when they, much earlier said they would not.

The purpose of legacy servers is to motivate pple into wiping themselves.... that is why they will never allow legacy characters to move off legacy servers.

Wildcard would have lost many players had they done a wipe. I don’t believe the purpose of legacy was for players to “wipe themselves” ( I am unsure of the reasoning behind that please explain). If anything ark transfer introduces the wipe element that remains on both clusters. For evidence of this either team up a mega tribe and do a server wipe or watch a YouTube video if you do not have that option.

16 hours ago, iStephano said:

As a old timer legacy player I made the move, finally to a new official server. It’s fun but has some serious issues, rag server I am on already tamed cap, island server had like 150- 200 ping all day. Problem is to many players on those servers. It’s time bury legacy servers now and make new server so people can play with less overcrowded servers.  

I have been on the new servers as well 397 I believe, server pop was roughly 7 thoughout the week only lag was the usual rag lag. Did you choose to move to a high pop server? If so then that would explain the lag. 

On 4/18/2018 at 8:26 AM, Rhinenorr said:

Legacy dinos are cheat, legacy gear is duped. Why can't they mix? Seems rehtorical. Everyone had a chance to start new with everyone else. Just because legacy is dying (wich was always part of the plan) doesn't mean that because you didn't switch, you get to keep all your stuff. It's kinda like, ya snooze ya lose. You been snoozing for six months. Can't wait for legacy to officially die. Get some new servers up.

I was checking the new servers yesterday on ps4 and more than half of the new servers had a pop count of 0/70 while prim+ legacy still had people playing on the servers. during the past week server 6 on prim+ legacy hit around 34 players (which is highly uncommon). There's barely any servers left for us to travel to and honestly our community is keeping up just fine unlike the new unpopulated and broken servers.

Archived