Are we ill? Why do we even play this game

BloodHulk

19 hours ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

Granted, there is no changing the amount of money made but who knows how many people won't be back for the next game.

Let's try and be objective for a moment. Despite all the criticisms (justified and otherwise), Ark is wildly popular. It has performed as well or better than most AAA titles on Steam. To put it into perspective, GTA5 and Ark were released in mid 2015 and both have been on the Steam top 10 played list ever since, much of it trading blows. It's seen similar popularity on consoles. I agree that Wildcard could and should have done more with the game to make it play and perform better...but this "Am I ill for playing this game?" talk is the epitome of histrionics.

Like the game or not and in spite of its flaws, Ark succeeded on an extraordinary level...an indie game that ended up being released on 3 consoles, has spinoffs incoming, a mobile version in the works, is being ported to FREAKING NINTENDO, has an age demographic span of decades, has an obscene amount of replayability, and - objectively, obviously - blew the minds of anyone who grew up playing with dinosaur toys as a kid.

So...will people be back for the next game? Yes. Are people ill for wanting to play it? No. At all.

I look at it like this your finding something you enjoy something that brings fun into your life that nothing else could your also spending time with others normaly or doing something you couldn't do irl long as it isn't causing you to stay in doors for 15 hours a day I say your doing good more then 6 a day and well your either rasing babys a lot or you enjoy it a lot but nah unless you missing meals and making the choice not to hang out over ark then your all good your time is your time

7 hours ago, crazyhobo said:

I look at it like this your finding something you enjoy something that brings fun into your life that nothing else could your also spending time with others normaly or doing something you couldn't do irl long as it isn't causing you to stay in doors for 15 hours a day I say your doing good more then 6 a day and well your either rasing babys a lot or you enjoy it a lot but nah unless you missing meals and making the choice not to hang out over ark then your all good your time is your time

Right but this game basically demands you give it your hole life.  If you arnt becoming a house body you arnt getting anywhere.  Lou is right about its success, but it was stolen success because they stole the idea from someone else and was sued for it.  And all the big name critics gave ark average to bad scores, the world eye is against it.  Its success is regardless tho, but i think its more based on the idea of the game then the game itself.  Its the 1st realistic 3D open world with an emphasis on taming.  This was a game idea i had as a kid and wanted to create to create the ultimate video game.  I think we've all played games that were open world and saw amazing monsters and was like "god i wish there was taming".  Happens to me when i play dragons dogma a lot lol.  Lets be honest the closest thing to this has been pokemon, and weve all seen its success.  Its outlived so many games from newer gens, and its older then PlayStation1.  Its safe to say quite a few of us ark players have been pokemon fans at 1 time or currently.  This is like pokemon for adults and thats why we are addicted to it, even tho the game itself is poor quality, the concept is addicting.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, BloodHulk said:

What is wrong with us? The game is officially out and yet its plagued with bugs.  I recently had a Dino fall through the Map on the newly released expansion, i just today have a squid stuck on a dang rock near red ob on Rag.  The game is plagued by lag and cheaters who are able to get under the map and kill your stuff. 

I feel like this game is like a training ground for newly graduated programmers. They should honestly take the game down for a month or so and fix the game then release it. Its in an embarrassing state imo. 

I must be ill, with all this I still play the dang game, perhaps because there is a lack of good games out, idk. 

What are all of your thoughts.

In general my thoughts are too much free time and obsessive personalities.

I refuse to submit to either of these.

10 hours ago, Srs said:

There are some other dino games on pc but ark for me is top. And when JWE comes out gunna be a tough choice which to play haha 

Am on console so the choice ia limited :D Probably will be taking a break from Ark when it releases. Great to get a sequal to JPOG. That game consumed so much of my childhood lol.

9 hours ago, mmart said:
On 15/04/2018 at 4:41 PM, AngrySaltire said:
Because its fun... it has dinosaurs.... and dragons.....
So much you can do in the game and it can offer so much. I struggle to find another game to play which is as fun so I keep playing despite some of the quirks.

Try subnautica

I have been contemplating it. Is it fully released for xbox yet ? 

Guest DJRone89
1 hour ago, AngrySaltire said:

Am on console so the choice ia limited :D Probably will be taking a break from Ark when it releases. Great to get a sequal to JPOG. That game consumed so much of my childhood lol.

I have been contemplating it. Is it fully released for xbox yet ? 

Not yet but next major update may be its release from EA. I started a play through end of last month but I’m yet to experience anything game breaking. Buy it now while it’s still cheap ;)

12 minutes ago, Onimusha759 said:

I look at its cover and the 1st thing i think of is no man sky, instant turn off.  Ocean only makes me cringe as well.

Seen some footage of it and liked the look of it. Used to play a game on the Wii called Endless Ocean or something so thought maybe it might be a similiar, despite Subnautica being more of a survival game. Like exploration type games. Thought I'd give it a try.

The game does have bugs. Lots of them. The disconnecting and the lag rubberbanding is annoying. The 40 minute timer to stop duping and roll backs is still happening.

Dinos and buildings and other structures lose texture. I still have issues with items vanishing out of my inventory and dino inventory on PVE.

Dinos still fall through map and babys still have trough problems.

The problem is that the game is addictive and there isn't really another game that imo nothing compares to. I probably wouldn't even still have my xbox if I didn't have this game.

You really need to think about what you do in game and must consider randomly disconnecting before even crossing the oceans or going into battle.

PvE official is my choice of play because I don't want months of work destroyed in PVP.

But then there are mass pillars and that a different story.

Bugs? Sure. That's the nature of a game with continuing development.  Players make the choice to deal with it and play or they don't.  Clearly due to the continued popularity of the game, people seem to be playing and enjoying otherwise.

Another important point to make is that not uncommonly, people who complain of bugs and issues once you start looking very specifically at their issues, that it can be user end generated as opposed to Wildcard. Again that's not being dismissive of fault or issues with Wildcard's development shortcomings, its just saying that people don't separate the two.

And then there are issues outside of the hands of Wildcard to fix currently(like the Unreal Engine ones that Wildcard is waiting on from UE4's 4.20 update in the coming months).

Then there are issues that people dislike official game play servers conditions and claim as bugs yet playing on unofficial servers becomes a non issue. In those cases that's just a mismatch and choice on the players part.

All of that gets lumped into one big pile with which WC becomes the whipping boy.

People just need to keep in mind Ark will never, ever be bug free, even if its ever shuttered unless players take on the mantle of fixes there after.  Its always a triage and catchup situation.  So again the choice is left to a player as to whether or not they handle what's going on or they move on(or in the case of some who cant let go like a jilted lover just continue to complain to their hearts content because they're still madly in love with the game even if they've stopped hehe).

As others have said - because it’s fun. I’m currently playing solo official PvE while my usual friends are currently playing other games. I’ve made pretty decent progress without having lots of regular time to play. Often it’s just 15-20 minutes to keep animals feed, or gather food. I progress when I have longer play periods available. 

Anyone bored ? With all the servers tammed capped. My dinos are separated between 3 servers I only have around 100 of them.  I got dinos stuck in oblique. Might try a 4th server... wish i could get them all on one server... gahh for me trying to get out of a unhealthy server. I have screwed myself.  Now bored waiting for some dino to die in order to clear my dinos from oblique... been rotating between red and green for amusement.  I hear there is something called taming and breeding. Do people actually do that ?.... how ?? I'd like to try it... it .sucks when your tameing a tapejara and it takes 12+ hours to tame with kibble.. worse is when it restarts during tame cause you ran out of necros after 13 hours..  oh well... bored here. What's everyone up too ? I'm tired of building structures for no use.

Archived