Will ARK ever utilize more than 3 Threads?

TheSlayerNL

• Volunteer Moderator
45 minutes ago, TheSlayerNL said:

ARK is only using 3 threads max at the moment, as we are in 2018 I actually find this a shame. I am running on a 12 thread i7 cpu and really wish ARK could harnass all its threads.

On 11/20/2017 at 12:52 AM, TheRightHand said:

The ARK Server also only uses 2 threads on the CPU. This is because the version of Unreal that we built the game on did not support multi-threading/paralellization. We have integrated Paralellized animation, and networking, so our networking overhead and cost of animation work are done on a 2nd thread. We're doing more work to try and thread more elements of the server, but it is incredibly complex and difficult work to do. Running 3 instances per server only takes up 6 cores at most. Having less instances per box would have no impact on the performance of each individual server.

20 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

I am asking if it will ever support more then 3 threads, your answer just explains about what ARK currently runs on, which I already knew. I wonder why they don't just go for an Engine Upgrade, would make sense as they started this game on an Engine that wasn't finished in the first place. I just find it sad this game is so behind in performance due to older Engine Version, many UE4 games have Engine Updates.

25 minutes ago, TheSlayerNL said:

I am asking if it will ever support more then 3 threads, your answer just explains about what ARK currently runs on, which I already knew. I wonder why they don't just go for an Engine Upgrade, would make sense as they started this game on an Engine that wasn't finished in the first place. I just find it sad this game is so behind in performance due to older Engine Version, many UE4 games have Engine Updates.

Simple engine update might be not feasible due to the many changes and tweaks they did to engine version they have built the game on.

On 14-4-2018 at 5:13 PM, DarthaNyan said:

Simple engine update might be not feasible due to the many changes and tweaks they did to engine version they have built the game on.

Well, if that is the case, they surely raptored it up. ARK demands a lot of hardware and if it were able to use all the CPU Resources I bet it would run a whole lot better.

5 hours ago, TheSlayerNL said:

Well, if that is the case, they surely raptored it up. ARK demands a lot of hardware and if it were able to use all the CPU Resources I bet it would run a whole lot better.

I read a dev reply on reddit with the reason they havent done any engine upgrades (was related to epics new updates) was because theyve done a lot of custom work on theirs and they cant / wont bring it all to the nee versions

16 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

Afaik GPU bottlenecks client, not CPU. Server could benefit from more/better threading for sure.

I do wonder how it is possible that there are cases where my FPS goes down and when I look at how my system performs, it also has GPU usage drops at the very same time the FPS drops. I just think with some more CPU Power to handle a couple of more thing it would run better but ye, I could be wrong when just having this based on usage numbers only.

On 13.4.2018 at 6:54 PM, TheSlayerNL said:

ARK is only using 3 threads max at the moment, as we are in 2018 I actually find this a shame. I am running on a 12 thread i7 cpu and really wish ARK could harnass all its threads.

And thats the moment people in 2018 realize that they should have bought 4x4,5GHz (2,7GHz Base i7-8559U) instead of 6x4,1GHz (2,2GHz Base i7-8750H) because it's almost impossible to find any program/game that can actually utilize more than 2-3 threads for core-calculations :)

2 hours ago, Campi said:

And thats the moment people in 2018 realize that they should have bought 4x4,5GHz (2,7GHz Base i7-8559U) instead of 6x4,1GHz (2,2GHz Base i7-8750H) because it's almost impossible to find any program/game that can actually utilize more than 2-3 threads for core-calculations :)

Lets see, Final Fantasy XV, Far Cry 5, Planet Coaster, just to name a few from the past year, seem to actually use all threads. UE4 probably can utilize them all as well, the devs just decided to mess around with the engine and modify it to their needs, too bad multi threading isn't one of those modifications. I also don't really have an 8th gen i7, I run on a 5930k i7.

ARK uses the Unreal graphics engine that needs more GPU than CPU power.. 

to improve performance upgrade your GPU.. Oddly enough most high end computing are now slowly lowering CPU power and increasing GPU power with the GPU's like Tesla for example, you might find yourself looking back to the "old days" when high CPU powered machine were still used. 

not than I'm saying unreal is the future, but I think people is looking at raw CPU power in the wrong way. 

On 4/16/2018 at 7:34 AM, Campi said:

I run this game on a Threadripper 1950x.  I never have any CPU related issues in ARK.  A few things I've noticed:  The game seems to be a memory hog.  Having a surplus of RAM has a huge improvement.  I'm only @ 16GB, but that seems to be enough.  Time spent logging into the server is dramatically reduced (1/10 of the time) by having the game installed on an M.2 SSD.  This game really doesn't like G-Sync.

On 4/16/2018 at 6:34 AM, Campi said:

Yep, made that mistake myself, running six cores (dunno how many virtual or whatever) with 4 basically idle. 

Still, i was able to boost the gpu (way out of scale performance-wise) and i get great fps. 

I still have room to OC quite a bit but i just dont need to; the gpu jump was plenty (for 1080p).

Archived