Aberrant Bear Breeding Breakthrough

DeweyDecimal

Since bears were released on Ab, I've been hunting them down, taming the best ones I can find. Took over a month to get a pair of 150's. The next few weeks saw a few 145's, 130's, etc. Not much in the way of strong stats.

This past week or two has been good to me, some nice colours from the Easter event, and cubs that are starting to take better stats,  but more importantly, three new bears with excellent stats for breeding. 

A 135 with impressive melee, room to improve, but better than what I had. 

A 145, with a really nice weight roll, and strong health. 

And today a 140, with a Monster health roll and just a point shy of the best melee. 

Now I'm waiting on a batch of cubs, if I'm lucky, I'm only a few generations away from some truly beastly bears. 

4 hours ago, HaleTech said:

I envy you sir! every bear i found 130+ has been eaten by ravs before i could down them or just garbage rolls, keep this post updated i'm curious to find out what stats you end up with!

Well, the only cub that took the health was the lower level Easter tame, lol, the others all kept their mother's good stats, all female, so at least when they're grown I'll have twice as many pregnancies to try to match each stat to the health. 

I finally saw with my own eyes the 'babies assume 100% taming effectiveness' thing work out, as my 329.7 melee turned into 331.1, without any mutations. A pretty decent boost in melee.

In short, while this batch is technically a failure, we failed up, at least getting closer to the goal. 

Current best stats: 

HP - 3,225

Stam - 2,300

Oxygen - 1,100

Food - 15,000

Weight - 1,100

Melee - 331

Some Figures rounded

18 hours ago, Frogspoison said:

That's overall pretty solid. Taming bears would be a LOT easier if Karkinos could pick them up. Perhaps WCS could buff the Karkinos to be able to pick up larger (And flying for non-Ab maps) with 2 claws?

Those stats are still spread among different bears for now, in the process of breeding them together. 

Today was almost a total writeoff. Six pregnancies, each aimed to combine two high stats in single offspring, (ie stam/hp, melee/hp, hp/weight) one by one I watched the babies pop, checked the stats, sighed, and introduced them to my breeding pistol. 

Some were 'worst possible' others got one stat, none were worth keeping, until the final pregnancy produced triplets with both health and Stam. 

Post-edit:they have food too, one of the last stats I check, so I forgot to mention it

Only one 'successful' breed out of six, but at least the triplets should help get the rest of the stats to come together. 

1 hour ago, DeweyDecimal said:

Those stats are still spread among different bears for now, in the process of breeding them together. 

Today was almost a total writeoff. Six pregnancies, each aimed to combine two high stats in single offspring, (ie stam/hp, melee/hp, hp/weight) one by one I watched the babies pop, checked the stats, sighed, and introduced them to my breeding pistol. 

Some were 'worst possible' others got one stat, none were worth keeping, until the final pregnancy produced triplets with both health and Stam. 

Post-edit:they have food too, one of the last stats I check, so I forgot to mention it

Only one 'successful' breed out of six, but at least the triplets should help get the rest of the stats to come together. 

Just a quick note - killing babies does give a good chunk of XP, which can be useful for lvling useful dinos that otherwise would be pretty tricky to level, like Dung Beetles.

On 17/04/2018 at 7:30 PM, Frogspoison said:

Just a quick note - killing babies does give a good chunk of XP, which can be useful for lvling useful dinos that otherwise would be pretty tricky to level, like Dung Beetles.

Bears don't give much tho... 

A tribemate did a bunch of levelling by killing unwanted baby gigas. The XP for killing a baby is equal to killing a wild Dino of the same level and species. 

If shooting bears was a viable levelling Strat, I'd have been level 100 weeks ago

10 hours ago, DeweyDecimal said:

Bears don't give much tho... 

A tribemate did a bunch of levelling by killing unwanted baby gigas. The XP for killing a baby is equal to killing a wild Dino of the same level and species. 

If shooting bears was a viable levelling Strat, I'd have been level 100 weeks ago

Lvl 100 is a !@#$ing slog, and your best bet is to just use a Grinder.

Again, the baby XP is more useful for unleveled, but useful dinos that likely will get killed if they try to kill anything tougher then a dodo. Thus my example of Dung Beetles.

Six more pregnancies today, two aimed at possibly mutating the Health or Stam stats in the last batch. No success. Three aimed at combining more stats, (two melee and an oxygen) of which only one was a success. 

Finally, an attempt to pass on Easter colours failed for the third time running. 

At least now I'm one stat closer to getting them all together. 

Next batch shall mate the hp/stam/food male with his hp/stam/food/melee offspring, in the hopes of a 4 stat male, as the remaining stats are all on females. 

Archived