Why do tamed Griffins randomly just fly off?

KnuckNorris

I haven't had my griffins fly off but many new tames will run off after being tamed. I had a terror bird I just tamed follow me back to my base. Unfollowed it and it ran off to attack something, I had to go chase after it. Other fresh tames will also just walk away. I also had an otter I threw off my should try to run away, luckily it was inside my base so he couldn't get far. Whistling follow and unfollow fixed that.

26 minutes ago, annageckos said:

I haven't had my griffins fly off but many new tames will run off after being tamed. I had a terror bird I just tamed follow me back to my base. Unfollowed it and it ran off to attack something, I had to go chase after it. Other fresh tames will also just walk away. I also had an otter I threw off my should try to run away, luckily it was inside my base so he couldn't get far. Whistling follow and unfollow fixed that.

If you kill something they will run back to harvest corpse 90% of the time thats case, other said might be on neutral or attack my target. Good practice is to whistle passive, then stop all.

Just tamed a few griffins for my tribe the other day and 50% of the time, if it isn't on follow when you dismount, they just take off and go to some random spot on the map. Is this part of the animal's programmed behavior or just another stupid flaw?

My tribe experiences this issue alot! Doesn't seem to matter what the Griffin is set to (passive, neutral, etc..) It's got to the point that we had to build aviaries just for the Griffins to hang out in while not being used, and when we do take them out have to make sure they are set to follow the rider.

We have also had some issues with our Argentavis and Tapejara on occasion. Hours have been wasted searching for the mounts after they inexplicably fly off to some random point on the map. It is very frustrating and we've already lost one tribe member due to his mount running away.

We are on PS4 playing on a non-official PC server that we pay a monthly premium for.

1 hour ago, d1nk said:

If you kill something they will run back to harvest corpse 90% of the time thats case, other said might be on neutral or attack my target. Good practice is to whistle passive, then stop all.

That happens sometimes, I agree. But not in these cases. The terror bird went to attack some non aggro-ed creature that was some distance away. We weren't attacked on the way back to base. I'm on single player so instead of walls I keep guard dinos around. They never aggro-ed. I don't know what is up with fresh tames, they will just begin to walk, not run. And sometimes if I dismount the dino will just start to walk away, no matter if it is on neutral or passive. I guess the otter could have been going to a corpse, but it was nowhere near by if that was the case. 

I had this yesterday and it turned out that it had somehow been set to Passive Flee after a server restart, the flee however didn't kick in until I took it out for a flight between bases, as soon as I landed and dismounted it hared off by itself repeatedly until I twigged and set it back to passive after parking it inside so it couldn't disappear over the horizon.

22 hours ago, annageckos said:

That happens sometimes, I agree. But not in these cases. The terror bird went to attack some non aggro-ed creature that was some distance away. We weren't attacked on the way back to base. I'm on single player so instead of walls I keep guard dinos around. They never aggro-ed. I don't know what is up with fresh tames, they will just begin to walk, not run. And sometimes if I dismount the dino will just start to walk away, no matter if it is on neutral or passive. I guess the otter could have been going to a corpse, but it was nowhere near by if that was the case. 

Oh okay! Maybe its that passive flee thing? We dont have it on console yet (?) And i havent put any testing into it

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago. Every time I got off him he would fly off and I would have to whistle him to passive (he was on neutral) and bring him back in. This was even while following me. Finally I got another griffin and allowed him to fly off while I followed. He flew a little ways away and attacked a parasaur(!?!?) He hit it a few times then he was done and came back to me. Haven't had a problem since.

• 7 months later...

I had this too today that why i looked it up but i had bad berry collectors especially for my narcs and wanted tio get a bronto unfortunatly i knocked it out while i ran to it my game froze for 3 seconds and i was stuck inside now i happened to use my griffin for this so i was searching on how to get out i saw if you leave the game and go back in you propably shouldve spawned outside of the animal well i did that didnt work and ofcourse griffin gone it happened to me 2 times now no death occured in tribe logs when i was going to the scar in ragnarok with another griffin i flew like 10 meter above the lava and still died by lava i went back to get my griffin gone no where to be found no death in log and now it happened again i guess griffins and most of the flying animals are jsut a little bit stupidly designed

(and yes i have the best luck in the world)

Guest RandyStilskin

Megalodons to me are the worst. I disable victim/harvest collections right off the bat and that seems to stop them from swimming off. There are still lots of tame glitches.

I was on a baronyx set to neutral with victim/harvest collection off when I was attacked by a raptor and knocked off/pinned. Rather then come back it ran the other way and I KNOW it was 100% set for neutral.

The BUG seems to trigger anytime you are on a mount in combat and hop off if whatever you were fighting is killed.

Archived