Suggestions on obtaining a Queen Bee

Toxicmoon

Greetings,

Having a heck of time the last three nights. Have a little over six hours invested so far trying to obtain a Queen Bee on Center Map.  I’m at a hard stop on progress as I’m not able to make veggie cakes.

I have a color deficiency and loose site of the Bee as it blends in with the surroundings and I’m unable to see it.  One of three things occur.

1.       Most commonly I can’t find them shortly after they spawn after dealing with drones or other attacking things. Once complete I can no longer locate the Queen.

2.       The Queen will fly horizontal or up and never descend to something  within reach to tame

3.       The Queen will fly over the ocean and after a while despawn.

I’ve tried a plethora of different things in those six plus hours attempting to obtain one.

1.       Messed with the graphics settings trying all different things to attempt to make it so I’m able to see the Bee. 

2.       I’ve tried using a Quetz so I could fly with it, however the drones took it down the quetz to 95 hit points, was close!

3.       I cannot build as this is an official server so everything is pillared. I thought perhaps I could build up to it and make a box to trap it.

4.       Asked to trade/help but server is one of the new ones and even though it’s a NA server I’m one of the few people that speak English.  (I’m a solo player).

Been stalling hoping someone that can read english would be willing to trade for something as I’m not able to see the Queens.  Honestly don’t see that happening any time soon. Hate to give up the 300 hours or so I have invested in this venture over a bee.  Any suggestion?

I’ve been using Bug spray, and guile suit.  

You need to pop the hive from far enough away so that the bee doesn't agro.  What I do is use a ptera.  I use the ptera roll to damage the hive by doing large circles.  Every pass by the hive I spin.  The spin does 300-500 dmg to the hive, so like 10 spins later, the hive is at sub 500 health.  Once it gets to that point on health, I land about 20 foundations away from the hive.  I'll then pull out a longneck, stone arrows or flame arrows.  Shoot the hive a couple times and it will break.  If done correctly, the drones won't agro to you because you were too far away when you were shooting the hive.  Additionally, the queen will just sit there where the hive was.  At that point you use ghilie and bug repellant and get the tame.  If the queen is high off the ground, you may need to use a quetz to reach it for tame.

Troubleshooting -

1.  Obviously the easiest method is to build thatch around the hive before you pop it. 

2.  If the queen runs after the hive pops, you will need to stay within 8 foundations in order to render it in.  Render range on queen bees is incredibly small.  They "go invis" as soon as they leave this render range.

3.  You can build a trap on a raft or off the side of your quetz for the queen.  Queen bees, like most dinos, are attracted to giant be honey.  If you collect 10-15 from hives before attempting your tame, you can then use honey from your hotbar to attract the queen.  You can get the queen to walk wherever is convenient for you or to stop running from you.

4.  You can still tame the queen even if it's agro'd to you.  Just run up and spam feed.  If you have a dino with you you can leave it on neutral and it will go after the drones that may attack you.  Just be careful that they don't accidentally hit the queen!

3 hours ago, LLOYD0102 said:

unless they changed it you cant transfer bee's to another server. i would use a bear so you dont have to worry about drones and when it flies up keep it in sight and it will eventually come down

You can't upload the hive, but you can transfer the bee. Demolish the hive and have the queen follow you to a transmitter/drop/obelisk(there is a 12hour wait time between demolishing the hive and uploading the queen)

• 2 weeks later...

It's easy if you have a large dino that can chomp down the drones. Just wear any ghillie and mount you dino, killing any drones that aggro onto you (any dino that puts your third person view quite far back, I'm talking mammoths, allos, rexes, quetzs or wyverns, etc. Dinos with AOE is best, dont use breathe attacks of wyverns, just bites). Don't fly wih flyers, land them and use their land based attacks. 8 foundations is plenty to keep distance from the queen so that you can damage the drones with AOEs but not hurt the queen. just walk your dino to keep her in your sights, killing the drones at the same time.

Check dododex for a time interval between feeds, but this is not accurate to the interval in game but will give you a good estimation. Hop off your dino and run to the queen to feed it. If the queen is not hungry, run back to your dino and mount. You only need less than 10 rare flowers and are easy to obtain, even when collected by hand.

Good luck with your tame

On 4/13/2018 at 9:01 AM, yekrucifixion187 said:

Tame a m and f ichtyornis. Make the kibble. Wait for 2x. One kibble and you got your bee. That way you don't have to try and track it. Just get to it once. 

That's quite the effort to get one bee hive mate. You still need to wait for 2x? I think the time you wait for 2x, the 2 ichtys would have laid 2 eggs, maybe more.

I am convinced bees are bugged on Center.  Two weeks ago I spent an afternoon on Center56 in the redwoods trying for a queen with similar results.  After no joy the previous night I wrote everything down as I went.  Here's what I noticed..

1.  Hives are spawning empty.  The majority of them.  The first 11 I destroyed were dead hives.  This includes three FRESH hives.  That's right.  Three of them appeared in an area I had already sweeped earlier that hour.  Only 3 hives out of 18 had bees.

2.  Out of those 3 hives, only 2 had queens.  One had drones and no queen.

3.  The first queen I encountered stayed 20 feet up in the air, flew a quarter of the way around the tree...and then TURNED INTO ANOTHER HIVE!  Yes, I watched this happen.  The queen moved about 5 feet clockwise around the redwood and then poof, another hive.  I destroyed this hive as well and got the queen on the ground.

4.  This first queen took the first two flowers in normal intervals.  After that, it would not accept a flower for roughly 5 minutes.  This continued for 40 minutes until I finally died to random dinos on the ground and lost the queen.  Would only accept a flower every 5 minutes and never tamed.  Generated drones constantly the entire time.  

5.  The second queen I found started the same way.  2 flowers accepted, then stuck in a 5 minute cycle and never tamed.  After 15 minutes of frustration the queen flew off a cliff out over the ocean.

Hives were destroyed with a lightning wyvern at various distances.  First tame attempted with ghillie and bug repellant, second naked with no bug juice, I just ran back to the wyvern to take care of drones.  

This is the fourth outing I've undertaken to get a queen on this server, in this area, over the past month.  They have all had similar results.  It's bugged.  

6 hours ago, Kyubikage said:

That's quite the effort to get one bee hive mate. You still need to wait for 2x? I think the time you wait for 2x, the 2 ichtys would have laid 2 eggs, maybe more.

Look at his issues again

I have a color deficiency and loose site of the Bee as it blends in with the surroundings and I’m unable to see it.  One of three things occur.

1.       Most commonly I can’t find them shortly after they spawn after dealing with drones or other attacking things. Once complete I can no longer locate the Queen.

2.       The Queen will fly horizontal or up and never descend to something  within reach to tame

3.       The Queen will fly over the ocean and after a while despawn."

You are suggesting for him to use 10 rare flowers and track the bee and fight stuff off but he is not able to track the bee. This gives him essentially one or two shots at getting the bee. 2x taming happens almost every weekend so really the wait isn't long and if the ichty's lay more eggs, excellent, more hives. 

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:16 PM, Brayn said:

You need to pop the hive from far enough away so that the bee doesn't agro.  What I do is use a ptera.  I use the ptera roll to damage the hive by doing large circles.  Every pass by the hive I spin.  The spin does 300-500 dmg to the hive, so like 10 spins later, the hive is at sub 500 health.  Once it gets to that point on health, I land about 20 foundations away from the hive.  I'll then pull out a longneck, stone arrows or flame arrows.  Shoot the hive a couple times and it will break.  If done correctly, the drones won't agro to you because you were too far away when you were shooting the hive.  Additionally, the queen will just sit there where the hive was.  At that point you use ghilie and bug repellant and get the tame.  If the queen is high off the ground, you may need to use a quetz to reach it for tame.

Troubleshooting -

1.  Obviously the easiest method is to build thatch around the hive before you pop it. 

2.  If the queen runs after the hive pops, you will need to stay within 8 foundations in order to render it in.  Render range on queen bees is incredibly small.  They "go invis" as soon as they leave this render range.

3.  You can build a trap on a raft or off the side of your quetz for the queen.  Queen bees, like most dinos, are attracted to giant be honey.  If you collect 10-15 from hives before attempting your tame, you can then use honey from your hotbar to attract the queen.  You can get the queen to walk wherever is convenient for you or to stop running from you.

4.  You can still tame the queen even if it's agro'd to you.  Just run up and spam feed.  If you have a dino with you you can leave it on neutral and it will go after the drones that may attack you.  Just be careful that they don't accidentally hit the queen!

This is how you ARK!:Rex:

Archived