Griffin Taming with High Damage Longneck Rifle?

ambitiousdave

Hello Fellow Survivors,

I've started taming griffins and it's been a blast- especially the Easter ones!

I've been using a primitive crossbow and by the time I knock out Griffins their health is a 25%

I realize I should be using tranq darts and a longneck rifle. Here is my question:

Should I be using a primitive longneck rifle to reduce output damage or a apprentice or journeyman longneck to induce more torpor damage? I am not sure if a higher quality longneck rifle, using tranq darts, increases physical damage or increased torpor induced?

Any insights?

Thank you everyone,

I use a 751.9% DMG rifle on my single player game. Only time I don't recommend something like that is low HP creatures. It may or may not be bad depending on circumstances. Dodo.. instant kill, bad as I wanted some so I just had to punch them out. Bears.. low HP would die and ones with good HP wouldn't.. good (as I didn't want low HP bears). So as for those to examples that may be something to keep in mind. If you are playing on official odds are you don't have a rifle like that and it won't be such an issue. But point remains sometimes you may want/need to change up the option if you find yourself in a spot like me where you have a crazy powerful rifle but yea the rifle is better than the xbow due to DMG/Torpor ratio. Dealing less a blow to HP and requiring less prep/mats overall to achieve a better overall KO. 

It really is situational, as mentioned above. On most occasions a high damage is just more efficient. On some situations, low damage may be better.

This is true for dinos like the gallimimus, where a headshot with a strong enough longneck dart can result in an instant kill, greatly and unnecessarily overpowering their torpor, while a lower tier longneck will still fill their torpor instantly but not kill them.

2 minutes ago, WoOziE said:

Use the highest damage longneck that you can. Just remember to count to 4 after reload is complete before you fire next shot.

Torpor stacks (timer gets extended and total amount gets increased), there is no reason to wait.

On 12/18/2017 at 10:30 PM, invincibleqc said:

So its better to shoot required amount of darts and wait, or (if HP of tamee allows for it) shoot some more to KO it faster with the help of instant torpor part from shots.

1 hour ago, DarthaNyan said:

Torpor stacks (timer gets extended and total amount gets increased), there is no reason to wait.

I have had times where TE is affected from an extra dart even though the dino was still up when it hit him. Also the occasional times where you fire just as it passes out and it counts it as damage after the fact. That's the reason to wait but it should be done later in the tranquing not right off the bat. 

23 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

So its better to shoot required amount of darts and wait, or (if HP of tamee allows for it) shoot some more to KO it faster with the help of instant torpor part from shots.

You don't always know the exact amount of required darts, and to me it really doesn't make a difference when you choose to wait - after each shot or at the end while waiting for torpor to rise.

Waiting after each shot doesn't really have any downsides if you're not in a rush to KO the dino

5 minutes ago, WoOziE said:

You don't always know the exact amount of required darts, and to me it really doesn't make a difference when you choose to wait - after each shot or at the end while waiting for torpor to rise.

Waiting after each shot doesn't really have any downsides if you're not in a rush to KO the dino

Various taming apps and sites can tell the exact amount you need.

Waiting for each shot does have a downside: in case shot does not register or you miss and you are taming something that has obnoxiously high torpor depletion rate then you are just wasting tranq ammunition for nothing just by waiting after each shot.

Archived