Community Crunch 126: Console Update, Server Maintenance, Contests and more!

Jatheish

• Administrator

Hey Survivors! Welcome to the latest edition of the Community Crunch! :Jerbhi:

The Community Crunch is where we share important things going on with ARK, as well as host contests and showcase creations made by the community!

Console Transfers and TLC2!

We're targetting a console release for this update in mid-April (week of 16th April) and will keep you posted about more accurate release dates once we get closer to the date! With this update, we'll also be:

- Enabling item transfers and the vanilla-version of aberrant creatures to be moved to Aberration servers. This means that you'll be able to take over your regular Spino to an Aberration server.

- Preventing people from building within the Ragnarok Puzzle cave, so if you store any structures or creatures down there, make use of this time to relocate them ASAP as once this update goes live on console, that will no longer be possible. 

It is important to note that the Turret Update will not go live on console with this update, but instead a future one. 

Upcoming Maintenance for some NA PC Servers!

The maintenance will take place on Wednesday, April 11th at 2 pm Eastern. The maintenance will take approximately 2 hours to complete. During this time the servers will be shut down and the save data transferred. Once the transfer is complete, the servers will be brought back online. These servers will no longer appear in your Favorites due to an IP address change, therefore, you will need to search for the server again and re-favourite your server.

You can find the list of servers in this thread:

ARK: Evolution Events!

evo_event.jpg

We will not be running an Evolution Event this weekend. Our next Evolution Event will take place from the 20th of April at 1 PM EST until Monday the 23rd at 3 PM EST. All Official Servers will be undergoing this evolutionary change which includes:

2x Harvesting Rate
2x Taming Rate
2x EXP Rate

Easter Egg Contest!

During the Eggcellent Adventure Easter Event, we ran a little egg painting contest! Survivors were tasked to collect their Easter Eggs and decorate them! We had two categories, one for in-game submissions, and the other was for real life egg painting. With the conclusion of the event, we're excited to announce our winners! Let's give it up for the following survivors and their eggcellent painting abilities!

Rex Hatching Egg by Mitharen!

20180408200200_1.jpg

Bunny Dodo Egg by Hosscat!

dodoegg.jpg

and...

Bunny Plesiosaurs Swimming Egg by wenkula!

ark_plesio_eggo.jpg

We'll be in touch via email for your prizes! 

We hope you guys enjoyed the Eggcellent Adventure event! We've loved all the screenshots you've sent us of the festively coloured tames you've discovered. Here are some pretty awesome ones:

large.Easter.jpg

This year, unofficials servers can also continue to enjoy the event to their heart's content by keeping the event running ;)

Mod Tutorial Contest Update!

Mod tutorial contest #3 is currently underway and still accepting entries until Friday. Remember that for this contest I am looking for tutorials for ridiculous and wacky buffs.

I would also like to announce that the winner of the mod tutorial contest #2 is Xanjis! 
He has made an excellent tutorial for making a material/blueprint combo react to the time of day in ARK. Using a system like this, you could have a material do any number of things. It could shift textures, change values for stuff like roughness or specular or any dynamic parameters that you have set for your materials. You could have the entire world look light and fluffy during the day and nightmarish at night!

Have fun with this kind of system in your mods!

Next week I will have a new Wildcard Workshop tutorial ready for you. We'll be diving into and breaking down replication for you all. You get a detailed look at how to build your mods with multiplayer in mind while keeping them performant.

Official PC Legacy PVE Savefiles!

Download 'em here!

Attention PC PvE Legacy Survivors! We've made the current Legacy PC PVE Savefiles available to download. This has been a community request for some time from our player base as some of you have expressed interest in moving on to your own dedicated servers. The snapshot was taken on the 3rd of April 2018 and we're going to see if we can also make console PVE legacy saves available. Please keep in mind that we won't be offering this on our regular Official Network or PvP Legacy servers.

Notification Settings on SurvivetheARK!

There have been some changes made to the email notification settings on our community hub. You can read more about the changes in Chris' latest announcement:

ARK is on Sale for PS4 & Xbox!

large.springeu.jpg

ARK is available on sale in the PS4 Europe region with discounts across all titles!

ARK: Survival Evolved

ARK: Scorched Earth

ARK: Aberration

ARK: Explorer’s Edition

ARK: Season pass

large.XboxSpringpsd.jpg.30a180a96562870e

ARK is currently on sale in the Xbox Digital Store until 9th of April 2018!

ARK: Survival Evolved - 40% off

Explorer's Edition - 40% off

and later on in Spring, there will be some more awesome Xbox sales available!

Community Contests!

Future Contests

Going forward, we're going to be pausing our weekly community contests (ARKitect & Nvidia Ansel). We'll be looking at new ways which we can directly engage the community, as well as share the best content that you guys produce through different initiatives. We enjoy hosting these contests and love seeing what you've come up with, so hang tight to see what we have in store! Now without further ado, let's check out this week's submissions! 

NVidia Ansel Photography Contest

large.Ansel.jpg.683f020687f3fe873c17912d

ARK: Survival Evolved now includes support for NVIDIA Ansel -- a revolutionary new way to capture in-game shots. Learn more about these features from the NVIDIA blog. Now let’s get to the contest!

There were 3 potential categories for survivors to enter their shots into and they were the following:

Three Categories

Super Resolution & Freestyle: These can entries using both Super Resolution (8x resolution) or Freestyle filters. Players can optionally use Depth of Field effects accessible in Spectator mode by pressing the [Delete] key.

Panoramic 360 Stereoscopic 3D: These should be taken at 4x Super Resolution, in 360 Stereoscopic 3D mode. We will crop them to 2D for web display, while also providing the 3D version for viewing within VR display.

Freeform: Any settings, whacky and creative use of Ansel filters are encouraged. Adding humorous titles/captions in Photoshop is also acceptable for this category!

Super Resolution & Freestyle!

Winner!

pitsmat - Spotlight

large.5acbd468f1ae0_pitsmat-Spotlight-Freestyle.jpg

Honourable Mentions!

BlueDragon - Bulbdogs Playground

large.5acbd44f7cce6_BlueDragon-BulbdogsPlayground-SuperRes.jpg

BlueDragon - Caged

large.5acbd452bf3e5_BlueDragon-Caged-SuperRes.jpg

BlueDragon - Drop of Light

large.5acbd454f1aac_BlueDragon-DropofLight-Freestyle.jpg

BlueDragon - Ringworld

large.5acbd458225f4_BlueDragon-Ringworld-SuperRes.jpg

pitsmat - Killer Slap

large.5acbd45e8754b_pitsmat-KillerSlap-SuperResolution.jpg

pitsmat - Melting Walls

large.5acbd462ea3a5_pitsmat-MeltingWalls-Freestyle.jpg

pitsmat - Scorch

large.5acbd4660da12_pitsmat-Scorch-SuperResolution.jpg

pitsmat - Teeth and Scales

large.5acbd46bbc94a_pitsmat-TeethandScales-SuperResolution.jpg

pitsmat - Watching

large.5acbd46e2570e_pitsmat-Watching-Freestyle.jpg

roguewolf91 - Ambush

large.5acbd4713d462_roguewolf91-Ambush-SuperResolution.jpg

roguewolf91 - Bird Watching

large.5acbd473dfc15_roguewolf91-BirdWatching-Freestyle.jpg

Valoule - First encounter

large.5acbd4768be11_Valoule-Firstencounter-Res.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - Angelic Wings

large.5acbd479dcc9b_WolfAmaterasu-AngelicWings-8x.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - Charge!

large.5acbd47d8285a_WolfAmaterasu-Charge!-8x.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - Dodo Crossing

large.5acbd481c348a_WolfAmaterasu-DodoCrossing-8x.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - Ghost Island

large.5acbd4842008e_WolfAmaterasu-GhostIsland-Freestyle.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - Raptor Isle

large.5acbd488419e9_WolfAmaterasu-RaptorIsle-8x.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - Sunrise  Watcher

large.5acbd48c73290_WolfAmaterasu-SunriseWatcher-8x.jpg

Panoramic 360 Stereoscopic 3D!

Winner!

Wolf Amaterasu - Crystal Isles Sunset

large.5acbd4362689e_WolfAmaterasu-CrystalIslesSunset-360.jpg

Honourable Mentions!

BlueDragon - Welcome to Ringworld

large.5acbd4303ddee_BlueDragon-WelcometoRingworld-360.jpg

roguewolf91 - The Duel

large.5acbd43264575_roguewolf91-TheDuel-Panoramic360Stereoscopic3D.jpg

Valoule - Burning tree

large.5acbd4344c1d9_Valoule-Burningtree-360.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - Evening at the Beach

large.5acbd4386e10e_WolfAmaterasu-EveningattheBeach-360.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - Stream Junction

large.5acbd43b1e1e9_WolfAmaterasu-StreamJunction-360.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - Tropical Sunset

large.5acbd43d75043_WolfAmaterasu-TropicalSunset-360.jpg

Wolf Amaterasu - Where the Rivers Meet

large.5acbd43f33119_WolfAmaterasu-WheretheRiversMeet-360.jpg

Freeform!

Winner!

Valoule - 3D Spear

large.5acbd442a4633_Valoule-3DSpear-Freeform.png

Honourable Mentions!

Valoule - Scratching the surface

large.5acbd444d4f85_Valoule-Scratchingthesurface-Freeform.png

Wolf Amaterasu - Survivor ARK Evolved

large.5acbd44ca9abe_WolfAmaterasu-SurvivorARKEvolved-Freeform.jpg

ARKitect!

This is an award given to Survivors to celebrate the amazing structures you build. These bases are judged based upon a number of different factors such as their creativity, uniqueness, how fun of a base it is, the difficulty of building it, the functionality it provides and much more!

The ARKitect for Community Crunch 126 is…

ThePilgrim for their Jumping Spider Tek base

We'd also like to wish a huge congratulations to our runner-up!

captainfatdog and their Figure of 8 Race Track!

If you'd like to check out the submissions from the rest of the entrants, you can do so here:

Fan Feature!

Bronto Mansion by Valoule
Ic3w8gf.png

You can check out the full album here: https://imgur.com/a/igFuU

How Nameless become Alpha by Shockal
FA5116E636398E6306321CCFF062E4EA6321A768
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1355244772

A raptor couple by Phenix220 (Fr)
6232C31F3EB3E212434CA57C709A25C25CA48963
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1353813466

Hulk and Superman! by CyanPug3lqy4k4okxq01.jpg

Dodo Wyvern by 드찌/어찌
F5429251E4C6DA561FEBE9738C6127F0BA182558
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1352125879

Thylacosmilus WIP 2 by Laelamcpitty
2368C46CA614EC8D06704144DBD39E994E1758C7

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1354582952

Introducing the Archelon! by Nokryn
E2A8A79B688EBC965E7A79ED450CD6F5AFCE283C

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1353983928

Introducing the Sea Cow! by Nokryn
D2594869813D934D860F00FAFF87AC0B3F650A4B
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1352375132

That's it for this post guys! As always if you’ve got anything to share please get in touch and be sure to follow us on:

Twitter: twitter.com/survivetheark
Facebook: facebook.com/survivetheark
Reddit: reddit.com/r/playark
Instagram: instagram.com/survivetheark

All the best,
Studio Wildcard

:Jerblove:

View full article

• Like 1

if the sea cow and the archelon were in ark i would so tame them especialy for such of purposes as the users that made those dossiers.... i think they would have a wonderfull niche in arks ecosystem to considering a carboenemys is a tortoise and we dont have yet a sea turtle.... wich would be more effective in water then said tortoise and the ocean is lack sea mammals..... we only have basilo wich is a whale... we need more sea life anyways and i think these would be good starters...

• Like 1

Hello, first congrats to the winners ! And thanks you for the freeform win ! :) 

I dont want to complain, but common... sometime its just seems unfair.

And dont get me wrong, i love the others build too, specially the race tracks :P (Cool and simple) . I think some more rules about how much one person can win by month would be cool and more interesting. Like 1Win/Categories/person/month. (thats will be for me more fair and will encourage more people to participate ) And I dont says either that i deserve some rewards for this builds. But sometimes because you  are a repetitive participant you seems like you are put aside from the contest.  

Or my build are just poop and im dissapointed, who knows ...

• Administrator
1 hour ago, AdligerAdler said:

Great. Not just 2x breeding, now they reduce even the normal evo events.

We've not always run them each weekend, this was just the first time we've given the heads up about it, though you'll see an event the following weekend.

20 minutes ago, Valoule said:

Hello, first congrats to the winners ! And thanks you for the freeform win ! :) 

I dont want to complain, but common... sometime its just seems unfair.

And dont get me wrong, i love the others build too, specially the race tracks :P (Cool and simple) . I think some more rules about how much one person can win by month would be cool and more interesting. Like 1Win/Categories/person/month. (thats will be for me more fair and will encourage more people to participate ) And I dont says either that i deserve some rewards for this builds. But sometimes because you  are a repetitive participant you seems like you are put aside from the contest.  

Or my build are just poop and im dissapointed, who knows ...

This was mentioned in the post and may have been missed, but we're taking a break from these contests, we're looking into other ways to actively engage the community. Feedback is appreciated though :)

The issue with the breeding events or lack there off is sad and quite frankly depressing for those of us that have a life, now the reason you have given for doing only 4 a year is really crap eg. ( server tame limits capped) this only happens on PVE servers NOT PVP so my question is can we get breeding events for pvp servers only???

for all those that agree with me spam the ?Out of this 

How about a contest where you hide different collectables to help with maturation rates? Kinda like the valentines event with the chocolate but instead like a Golden Dodo which when killed gives you a special golden meat when fed to the babies it helps raise their maturation rate and imprint. And for berry babies have special bushes hidden around the maps when harvested does the same thing for berry eaters.

I think you guys are making a mistake not doing the minimum 2x events on the weekends. Your player base plays more because of them. Unless your goal is to get people to play less (which admittedly it feels like a lot of the time), I think you’re mistaken. Guarantee I’ll be checking out some new games since it doesn’t make sense to Ark a lot without 2x. 

2 minutes ago, flamron said:

I think you guys are making a mistake not doing the minimum 2x events on the weekends. Your player base plays more because of them. Unless your goal is to get people to play less (which admittedly it feels like a lot of the time), I think you’re mistaken. Guarantee I’ll be checking out some new games since it doesn’t make sense to Ark a lot without 2x. 

Yeah I agree dude 

Hey everyone.

So in a post for ARK Park I had asked the question "Where is Extinction?"  So far those who saw, I never received a response.  I believe as that we, as the customers and consumers of your product, should not have to wait for click-baiters to mention the name for the views on their channel.  We would rather hear from the people making the game, as well as Extinction.  I'm just tired of checking every week for Extinction news, and not seeing a Q&A or anything, just news on things we were told in December of 2016 and TLC that, as gorgeous as it looks, is not required.  I'm not asking for everything about Extinction, just simply "where is it?"

If you agree, spam this as a message--the people have a right to know.

2 hours ago, danlillis said:

if the sea cow and the archelon were in ark i would so tame them especialy for such of purposes as the users that made those dossiers.... i think they would have a wonderfull niche in arks ecosystem to considering a carboenemys is a tortoise and we dont have yet a sea turtle.... wich would be more effective in water then said tortoise and the ocean is lack sea mammals..... we only have basilo wich is a whale... we need more sea life anyways and i think these would be good starters...

Agreed.

Thanks for having held these contests. They have been going almost 3 years so I think that is just part of the natural life cycle where it feels like most things have been done in some form or another or people have moved on to do other things. I remember way back in 2015 when there were 15+ entries to the building category.

The idea Jat was talking to me about in December would be interesting to see followed through, the "themed ideas". So for pics, the themes could be like "carnivores" or "action" or "colorful" or "black and white", and similar key words for other stuff, like build a dinosaur for arkitect, create a vehicle, a ship, spaceship, etc. I think having such a specific focus might create more appeal since you won't suddenly have someone come along with a massive village that took 200 hours or something, and levels the playing field a bit more.

3 hours ago, VenomXenomorph said:

Actually, DLC is exactly what they need rn.  Both to continue the story for the fans, and to finish the story.  Then bug fixes will be all that's left to focus on.

I wouldn't treat that as a proper story tbh. Randomly found notes of dead explores throw narration pace away through the window. 

It was high time for WC to start working on bug fixes seriously. Pumping the game up with more and more redundant features would reach a point where it would be impossible to fix anything. The core fundation of the game is a buggy, unoptimised mess. That's the fact and WC did nothing to adress this problem once and for all. We do not need more things that will be broken, because they did not pay attention to the quality of the game for 2,5 years. If you built something on buggy code, the result may be extremely unpredictable. The game is in a huge need of QoL updates. 

With right commitment to bug fixes game can thrive like Division or Rainbow Six Siege. That is a marathon, not a sprint tho. However, WC has attention span like a child, because of bad project manager I assume, so I'm quite sceptical they will stay with current commitment for long. 

Edited by Lewiatan
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VenomXenomorph said:

Hey everyone.

So in a post for ARK Park I had asked the question "Where is Extinction?"  So far those who saw, I never received a response.  I believe as that we, as the customers and consumers of your product, should not have to wait for click-baiters to mention the name for the views on their channel.  We would rather hear from the people making the game, as well as Extinction.  I'm just tired of checking every week for Extinction news, and not seeing a Q&A or anything, just news on things we were told in December of 2016 and TLC that, as gorgeous as it looks, is not required.  I'm not asking for everything about Extinction, just simply "where is it?"

If you agree, spam this as a message--the people have a right to know.

your totally right as a somewhat clickbait tuber the amount of question i have got about extinction plus other parts of the game due to wildcards inability to set correct dates has been huge but i cant complain with so many people never gettinga straight answer channels that do news are big because of it  but that shouldn't be the case so come on wildcard its time you officialy announce extinction at least not happening this spring, unless you catch a comment on social media by yourselfes there has been no official word that extinction is not due this spring yet we all know its coming in summer? i get you want the hype train of e3 or some other expo to show off whatever you have cooking but its really disappointing you haven't learned from sotf and primal survival not to leave bad news to the last minute

5 hours ago, pkurzawski said:

Evo Events never have been a guaranteed thing. They put them on 95% of the time over the weekends so missing one weekend every now and then isn't hurting anyone.

What's the motive behind that? Recently they stated there will be a max. of only 4 breeding events a year. Not everywhere there's the tame cap issue. Then the weekend before Easter there was no evo event. Now 2 weeks after Easter there will be no evo event again. What's the reason? When was the last time we didn't have an evo event twice within 4 weeks (we didn't even get a breeding event this easter)? 

I hope it won't become true but this could show the event future. This is why I'm worried. I wouldn't like that. Many others wouldn't like that. Personally I'll probably play less Ark and more something else this weekend. Bet I'm not the only one. After they gave us an evo event almost each weekend for a long time, it should be standard in my opinion. Would it hurt the game or any player if it was standard? I can't imagine how. Maybe make it 48 hours but don't cancel it.

Edited by AdligerAdler

40 minutes ago, jammyjade said:

your totally right as a somewhat clickbait tuber the amount of question i have got about extinction plus other parts of the game due to wildcards inability to set correct dates has been huge but i cant complain with so many people never gettinga straight answer channels that do news are big because of it  but that shouldn't be the case so come on wildcard its time you officialy announce extinction at least not happening this spring, unless you catch a comment on social media by yourselfes there has been no official word that extinction is not due this spring yet we all know its coming in summer? i get you want the hype train of e3 or some other expo to show off whatever you have cooking but its really disappointing you haven't learned from sotf and primal survival not to leave bad news to the last minute

Overall, I agree what you said here. However, you ought to use punctuation, because your comment is hard to read without it.