What is the best way to kill an alpha?

XGeneralScrubX

While playing, some of my buddies and I keep running into alphas wherever we go(mostly raptors). We play on an official server (on xbox) and the place we set up base is very isolated and the only things that really gets us are compys, troodons, Therizinosaurs, bugs, and raptors. Our current strategy is to sacrifice one of ourselves so the raptor will be fixated on the bodies (unless someone runs by it). Someone yesterday donated my buddies and I some ptera eggs so we can have a good start (we already have a trike and iguanodon and we had a raptor but it died). So my question is what is the best way to kill an alpha?

So at your level i would try to tame a high level argy i would only up melee and stamina for the first few levels then when you think your ready circle it and keep attacking. be sure to watch your stam and have a safe place to land. Option 2 make a door frame trap and pelt it with arrows like a mad man.(Warning  alphas can break stone just repair it and alternate agro on other doors.

Hello :)

I would not kill it. As all wild creatures in Ark follow you most easy down a cliff and lose aggro when you die. I would build where this action is easy to do. Since it will be many times you clear your area for farming or some other reason. When you have a carno or Rex tame. So you can use the dropps from alphas after killing, like crossbows of higher quality.

Regards,

Ariana 

There are couple of options as a low level player. You can easily kite one away with a ptera (just watch your birds health if it's a lower level, plus keep an eye on your stamina). You could also build a stone wall trap. 3x stone dino gates, with a stone wall on stone fence foundations and a door to run through. Leave the far gate open outwards, have the alpha chase you in and run through the door. Have a tribe mate shut the gate, and you have it trapped. 

Build a small tower with pillars and put a ceiling on it so you can take your time shooting it with arrows from out its reach.

I second the recommendation for the Argy, plus this will open up a lot more gameplay to you.  You can build a wooden pen/trap to catch it in if resources are an issue...use pillars or doorways to keep material costs low, which is important in these early stages for you.

Trying to trap the alpha is an interesting suggestion, but they are so fast that it may be tough for you if you are new...one little lag spike and you are toast.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:20 AM, prodigy1202 said:

Alpha                             Solution

Alpha Raptors:        High Level Carno or better

Alpha Carno:           Rex of the same level

Alpha Rex                Multiple High level (120minimum) large carnivores, Yuty, Rex, Spino, Allo etc.

a dire bear with 600 melee and 5k health can rock any alpha rex up to lvl 50 that i have tested. A direbear with 700 melee took down a lvl 85 alpha rex, 150 alpha carno and a mate boosted set of alpha raptors (85 & 135) with ease.

Archived