New Player / Giga Defense

LilKickSquad87

Hey all,

My friend and I are pretty new to Ark, I have never played before and my friend has only played a few times. We play on an Xbox PVE dedicated server so that we don't have that 150m distance limit. We aren't really trying to be the biggest baddest tribe out there, just trying to collect/tame/build some cool things and have fun with it. Someone in the server was nice to us and gave us a Rex and we started to have an nice camp and everything with our own tames.

I was offline yesterday and my friend told me that a wild giga showed up and killed all of our dinos and pretty must destroyed the entire camp leaving nothing behind. Once my friend got the giga lured away he said an alpha raptor showed up and killed him a few more times lol. I thought it was kind of funny but also incredibly frustrating because a good week of work essentially down the drain.

I am sure that this is some crazy bad luck, and some people have probably lost way more to gigas. I am just curious if there is a way to prevent this from happening. I'm not really trying to find the best solution for killing gigas, just a simple solution so that he won't just come in and destroy everything. I'm assuming a basic wall would do but I've read that a giga can destroy pretty much all walls. If we put up a wall around the camp wouldn't that keep a wild giga out unless it go provoked somehow? Lol I am assuming they don't just go around destroying all walls just because they can.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

An anti-giga wall should be tall at least 4 walls. Otherwise it can walk over it and enter in your Base.  Try to build in an higher spot maybe with walls around. Keep dinos away from the wall.  Personally I had bad experience with dinos killing my brontos trought the wall :/ the best would be metal walls. A giga can't destroy it.

And yeah as suggested... move from here. At least a bit far.  And higher I'd say xD some tribes on the server I play built in giga area spawn and never have issue because they took their security measures like high walls and high building spot. And turrets. 

In the short term, build in a defensible area with a stone gate or two at a chokepoint entrance.    There's many places you can do this.

In the long term, the best (PVE) strategy is a large Stone base surrounded by a wall of behemoth gates.      Plant some turret plants in your interior yard to keep the smaller irritants at bay, the gates will hold off gigas and the even scarier alpha rexes from coming in.

If you want to be giga safe listen to Mayapatch. DO NOT listen to people say buid stone because gigas eat stone. Metal small dino gates are good to keep out gigas, but a titan can walk over them. I would suggest metal fence foundations with a wall ( 4 high for giga ) but can add a couple of more later to be titan safe.Alphas and theris can also damage stone by the way.

Archived