strategy for lava cave

Syrilian

What I have done in this cave is to tame scorpions, I have one at the entrance, one across the first jump point for the artifact. The reason I use scorpions is the fact I can use weapons while riding them. I also make sure to have a Pick for the crystals that are in the beginning of the cave (scorpion tends to get stuck) A decent sword and pike. I use the sword for the bats, and the pike for everything else.  One downside is that you need to plan the areas you want to do battle. I have had my scorpion lost due to being knocked into the lava a few times. I generally pull everything to a big enough area that I know I won't get accidentally knocked into lava, then fight. Once and a while I may end up with mega-rabies, lesser antidote is a good thing to have, or just make sure you have enough health to survive long enough for the rabies to wear off.  I also bring at least 10 grappling hooks. Far too many times I have thought I can make the jumps without them, only to miss the jump and end up in lava. Also good quality ghillies suit helps with the heat, otherwise bring plenty of water.

Which lava cave?  East Lava Cave on Center, fly in with Ptera and park it about 4 walls off the ground on a tiny little lip on the wall on the right.  It's kind of up against the big drop you fly down to get to the mouth of the cave.  From there, run like mad to where the lava bridge starts, avoiding combat.  Once on the bridge and throughout the cave, shoot all of the wilds from a distance with a simple or fabricated pistol.  They will always walk straight at you, so you can make them go into the lava 90% of the time due to the zig zagging lava walkway.  Use grapples to make it past any difficult jumps.

West lava cave on Center, just brute force it.  Go in with stims, stone/fire arrows and a good longneck.  You should be able to ranged damage your way through.  There aren't many enemies in there to begin with.

Fire cave by Herbivore on Island - Go in with med brews or antidotes.  Wear full gillie armor, upgraded preferred.  If basic gillie, have a couple sets.  Also bring with you 2 canteens or, as I prefer, custom drinks.  You can also bring a stack of any adv veggie.  5 will usually fill up your food AND water.  Stimulants (if you get bit by a snake/scorp), grapple hooks (for the jumps).  If you're playing on a PvP server, bring 10 thatch foundations, 10 thatch ceilings and 10 wooden ramps.  You can build over any of the jumps.  I used to use a Bary in here, but I understand they may be blocked now.  You can do this cave on foot if you just go slow, kite land dinos into the lava where you can and crouch/pike bats as they come at you if you can't kill them at range.

Archived