Aberration Wild Levels

Onimusha759

Im curious to how wild lvls work on aberration.  Is it crap like scorched and island, or is it better like center and ragnarok?  Im referring to the low to high lvl spawn ratios, how often good lvls spawn.  The island and scorched are extremely boring because you hunt an hour at least looking for a dino over 120 which is still trash until you get to 140.  Most of those will be trash also.  At least the center and rag spawn high levels frequently, but even that can take hours to find 1 not trash dino of a specific type.  So is aberration like island/SE or center/Rag

More like Island from my experience (never played SE). Often I had to search for hours. I was searching 20+ hours for a 140+ featherlight female. Same with 140+ aberrant megalosaur male. I've been playing Ab since release and to this day I have never ever seen any wild shinehorn over lvl 110. 

140+ that don't take that much time to find are bulbdogs, ravagers and aberrant spinos from my experience.

1 hour ago, AdligerAdler said:

More like Island from my experience (never played SE). Often I had to search for hours. I was searching 20+ hours for a 140+ featherlight female. Same with 140+ aberrant megalosaur male. I've been playing Ab since release and to this day I have never ever seen any wild shinehorn over lvl 110. 

140+ that don't take that much time to find are bulbdogs, ravagers and aberrant spinos from my experience.

Thanks for the info, pity imma have to play it like SE and island.  On those maps i literally take anything i find 125 or higher.  Trying to specifically hunt a good lvl is way to boring and a HUGE waste of time.  Its no wonder why people cheat so much lol

1 minute ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Id like to also add that dino respawn rates are crazy on aberration. So while you might not find a near max level right away, as soon as you leave the areas those dinos will have respawned.

So for example reaper queens, you can literally go in a specific circle in the rad zone and encounter like 8 every time

That could help.  Still with the crappy lvl ratio, all 8 probably be lower then 100 3/4 laps, it still take way to long.  I love this game but the hunting for good dinos usually causes me to switch games because its not just to random, its a lil random with a roll system favoring lower levels, then random point placement that also wastes 14-28% of the available points every single time.  This is a very Crappy very rip off system.

You cant really consider a 150 to be a 150 when it wastes up to 44 points, easily, in movement speed and oxygen.  I dont know any other level based rpg style game with wasted attribute/skill points.  Anything that doesnt have an active 149 points isnt truly a 150.  This system rips us off, its crap, that is opinion, but getting ripped off is BS, thats a fact.  I have lapped the carno island repeatedly on the island.  It takes forever to get a rex over 125 to spawn, we talking hour+.  That will be boring to the majority of the gaming community, the worldwide 1.  I mean Ark got crappy reviews by the game judges remember?  I dont mind earning my dinos Joe, its not even that bad on rag or center, but the story arks make it way to much of a pain.  You need 140-150s for good breeding, and really the 140s have such a small chance to be good we might as well not even consider them.  You can go days farming 1 type of dino looking for a 145 on the island.  Then you have less then a 10% chance that dino will have good stats, then you have less then a 10% chance that when tamed the bonus levels add right.  Its reasonable to see why some people get bored with this and why i said its a crappy system.  @Joebl0w13 So why are you facepalming me?  You dislike what i say then explain why.  I dont want to hear any generic sheep response with no numbers or merit either.  If you have a good counter then say it.  Id like to hear how losing up to 28% of your points is a good thing?  How getting ripped off of your prize youve spent hours and hours finding is right or good.

16 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

You cant really consider a 150 to be a 150 when it wastes up to 44 points, easily, in movement speed and oxygen.  I dont know any other level based rpg style game with wasted attribute/skill points.  Anything that doesnt have an active 149 points isnt truly a 150.  This system rips us off, its crap, that is opinion, but getting ripped off is BS, thats a fact.  I have lapped the carno island repeatedly on the island.  It takes forever to get a rex over 125 to spawn, we talking hour+.  That will be boring to the majority of the gaming community, the worldwide 1.  I mean Ark got crappy reviews by the game judges remember?  I dont mind earning my dinos Joe, its not even that bad on rag or center, but the story arks make it way to much of a pain.  You need 140-150s for good breeding, and really the 140s have such a small chance to be good we might as well not even consider them.  You can go days farming 1 type of dino looking for a 145 on the island.  Then you have less then a 10% chance that dino will have good stats, then you have less then a 10% chance that when tamed the bonus levels add right.  Its reasonable to see why some people get bored with this and why i said its a crappy system.  @Joebl0w13 So why are you facepalming me?  You dislike what i say then explain why.  I dont want to hear any generic sheep response with no numbers or merit either.  If you have a good counter then say it.  Id like to hear how losing up to 28% of your points is a good thing?  How getting ripped off of your prize youve spent hours and hours finding is right or good.

'wasted points' in movement speed, food, or oxygen aren't really wasted, as even the points in movement speed contribute to stronger/higher level bred dinos. 

Guest BubbaCrawfish

And even then, so many people put so much emphasis on getting a higher level one, where a lower level one in the meantime, can still be of benefit.

1 hour ago, DeweyDecimal said:

'wasted points' in movement speed, food, or oxygen aren't really wasted, as even the points in movement speed contribute to stronger/higher level bred dinos. 

They are wasted, and technically foods not wasted.  I brought up oxygen  because aquatic mounts that have no oxygen stat will waste points in both oxygen and speed.  The points in these stats have no value and therefore are wasted.  Because of this a 145 could be better then a 150 because the 150 point wise is actually/technically a lower lvl because it has fewer active points.  Really this is bad because a lot of wasted points that counts as "levels" puts you closer to the lvl cap so you cant breed them for mutations as well.  Its a waste that also wastes space on your lvl cap.  As i said before i know of no other rpg or level based game that has wasted points.

I personally consider Oxygen and Movement Speed to be more of a "torpor" stat, which can be useful on PvP servers since starving out a dino is a way of not leaving behind footprints. If you get the dinos torpor to be 4.5x their health, then you pretty much cause the opponent to have to waste metal and gunpowder to starve out dinos.

2 hours ago, Frogspoison said:

I personally consider Oxygen and Movement Speed to be more of a "torpor" stat, which can be useful on PvP servers since starving out a dino is a way of not leaving behind footprints. If you get the dinos torpor to be 4.5x their health, then you pretty much cause the opponent to have to waste metal and gunpowder to starve out dinos.

They can be useful, but im referring to dinos with no oxygen stat wasting points in oxygen(Like sarco or sharks).  Then wiold points also being wasted ontop of that...They fixed it for birds, which still waste on oxygen(Cause they cant swim), so why not fix movement speed wasting on all other wilds.

2 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

They can be useful, but im referring to dinos with no oxygen stat wasting points in oxygen(Like sarco or sharks).  Then wiold points also being wasted ontop of that...They fixed it for birds, which still waste on oxygen(Cause they cant swim), so why not fix movement speed wasting on all other wilds.

The specific reason for the change for birds was to help "compensate" for the inability to put lvl ups into flying, so you have a better chance at finding higher level birds.

Personally, I think they should just remove Oxygen as a stat for most dinos, period. There is only two dinos with whom Oxygen actually matters - the Diplocaulus, and the Spino. It matters for the Diplocaulus because thats the entire point of that little guy - He serves as an oxygen tank. It matters for the Spino because the Spino is the only aquatic dino who actually loses Oxygen while in the water - Every other aquatic dino that has Oxygen doesn't actually lose it while underwater (See Beaver).

Beyond that, to get an actual speed boost in the water requires a ludicrous amount of Oxygen - I don't really see ppl specing into swimming-capable land dinos.

What I suggest, instead, is this - Oxygen removed as a dino stat entirely. For the Spino, he gets a 2000-point worth of Oxygen in terms of swimming speed, and can no longer drown. For the Diplocaulus, food is increased, and it uses food to fill up your Oxygen stat (This also allows you to refill your Diplocaulus while underwater)

For all other dinos, drowning is based on Stamina. As long as the dino has Stamina while in the water, it won't take any damage. As soon as it runs out, it starts taking drowning damage.

As it stands right now, Oxygen is THE most normalized stat - With a few exceptions, every single dino gains the same amount of Oxygen per level up - 150, +15/lvl. Exceptions are...

Baryonyx - 225, +22.5/lvl, despite not using Oxygen.

Beaver - 750, +75/lvl. Also does not actually use the Oxygen.

Dimetrodon - 500, +50/lvl. Also does not actually use Oxygen.

Diplocaulus - 1050, +105/lvl. Does use it for the rider, but the Diplocaulus itself cannot drown.

Diplodocus - 300, +30/lvl. Does actually need Oxygen to live.

Direbear - 270, +27/lvl. Also needs Oxygen to live.

Electrophorus - 1050, +105 lvl. Despite being a fish. Note that most other fishes only have 150 baseline Oxy, +15 per "hidden" lvl up. Also does not use Oxygen.

Giganotosaurus - 150, +.4/lvl. The main thing about the Giga's exception is that it has terrible, terrible, terrible Oxy scaling, but a lvl 1 Giga will drown the same as almost every other lvl 1 dino.

Lystrosaurus - 215, +21.5/lvl. Will drown too.

Megalania - 200, +20/lvl. Also dies without Oxygen.

Megatherium - 270, +27/lvl. Similar to the bear in that it does make sense that the Sloth is a good swimmer - IRL, sloths and bears are excellent swimmers. Also little tidbit - IRL, they also drown. Who woulda thunk?

Otter - 600, +60/lvl. Otters are weird, as wild ones will not drown, but tamed ones will. It's an exception among exceptions!

Spino, 650, +65/lvl. Unlike Otters, Wild Spinos CAN drown.

Thylac - 200, +20/lvl. The dropbears drown too.

Tusoteuthis - 215, +21.5/lvl. It's why I said "Most other fish" with the Electrophorus's little line.

That's pretty much it. It really grants a bit of insight into WCS's development decisions... Who am I kidding. A number of dinos who CAN'T drown have high Oxygen stats. An even larger number of dinos with a hidden Oxygen stat have the same 150 Oxygen as the majority of land-based dinos. Some dinos who have NO business being in the water, like the Lystro, has an arbitrary oxygen number. There just ISNT a recognizable pattern to be seen here!

So, yea. Remove Oxygen as a stat. Spinos and Otters get the same no-drown flag that Dimetrodons and Beavers do. Diplocaulus uses Food (Maybe Stamina? Maybe the sole exception and can keep Oxygen as a stat since it directly relates to the player's Oxygen stat?) to provide Oxygen for players. All other dinos get normalized swimming speed per species, and movement speed increases their swim speed.

Note that in terms of Oxygen increasing swimming speed, it does it slowly at first, and then hits a sort of break point where your speed just goes out-the-raptoring window after 3 lvl ups. There is no noticable smooth increase between increasing Oxygen, and increasing a Dino's swimming speed, unlike Movement Speed, where making a dino 20% faster... actually makes it 20% faster.

Yes ab levels are weighted the same as the island/SE, and I’d prefer rag/center level weighting too.

On the other topic about the wasted levels I disagree with you there. They have the dinos balanced as they want them with the wasted levels in mind. If they did away with them all, they would rebalance the base values so you would get the same thing in the end.  Then varying less per level, they’d end up too similar in wild stats and not only that but if it were higher in a useful stat like health, they couldn’t pull from a wasted stat for an overall benefit.  Those points would come strait from another useful stat.

The current system is what allows you to tame a 130, and have that tame stand up better in a certain area than a 150 you tamed the other day. With less variation this would’t happen. I personally like the more widely varying stats for that reason, but that could be debatable I guess.

8 hours ago, BP1 said:

Yes ab levels are weighted the same as the island/SE, and I’d prefer rag/center level weighting too.

On the other topic about the wasted levels I disagree with you there. They have the dinos balanced as they want them with the wasted levels in mind. If they did away with them all, they would rebalance the base values so you would get the same thing in the end.  Then varying less per level, they’d end up too similar in wild stats and not only that but if it were higher in a useful stat like health, they couldn’t pull from a wasted stat for an overall benefit.  Those points would come strait from another useful stat.

The current system is what allows you to tame a 130, and have that tame stand up better in a certain area than a 150 you tamed the other day. With less variation this would’t happen. I personally like the more widely varying stats for that reason, but that could be debatable I guess.

As an rpg fan since the gameboy, there should never EVER be a 130 outshining a 150...EVER.  Busting your butt for hours and hours to find a good lvl only to find its stats are crap because a lot of points got wasted also is BS.  If they were more common it would be ok because it would be balanced(Reward vs Time Spent vs Effort).  If speed was removed from wasting we'd still have food and oxygen(worthless stats) to pull from.  Because these stats would steal a portion of the lvls wasted on speed it would still balance out but at least we have active lvls which we can work with.  Id prefer that over ghost stats we can only guess at and limit us( breeding wise, which is a big deal for non cheating players).

On 4/8/2018 at 4:03 PM, DeweyDecimal said:

Points in movement speed are 100% wasted, especially on aberration where we have auric mushrooms.  Literally the only benefit of the higher total level is more torpor. If you're in a situation where torpor is a problem, force feed an auric mushroom to your dino.  You now have 2400 torpor of drainage over about 30 seconds.  During this time, torpor won't rise due to other things.  It's very similar to how feeding narcotics to something stops their torpor decay until it's finished increasing the torpor.  Your dino isn't "stronger" by having a higher level.  It's only a little harder to knock out.

On 4/7/2018 at 6:25 PM, AdligerAdler said:

To be fair, Shinehorns are very squishy dinos. They probably spawn often enough, but are dead before anyone notices them. I nearly had an event Shinehorn die in front of me. :/

But I agree, it seems certain dinos are easier to find high levels for. Direbears and Carnos seem to be some of the harder ones to come by. But I do stay in the "noob" area more often than not.

As for wasted stats, I don't consider Speed to be a wasted stat. Though it would be nice if was slightly boosted a bit more for certain dinos. And I only consider food over 10k - 12k to be a wasted stat. And I intend to kill any baby dino I breed that pops out with more.

58 minutes ago, Locket said:

To be fair, Shinehorns are very squishy dinos. They probably spawn often enough, but are dead before anyone notices them. I nearly had an event Shinehorn die in front of me. :/

But I agree, it seems certain dinos are easier to find high levels for. Direbears and Carnos seem to be some of the harder ones to come by. But I do stay in the "noob" area more often than not.

As for wasted stats, I don't consider Speed to be a wasted stat. Though it would be nice if was slightly boosted a bit more for certain dinos. And I only consider food over 10k - 12k to be a wasted stat. And I intend to kill any baby dino I breed that pops out with more.

Im talking about wild lvls for speed.  Have you ever used a stat calculator on a 150?  A 150 has 149 points available to spread around, if you add up where all the points went youll notice that 15-30 are missing.  Those missing points went on the wild dinos speed.  Those points literally did nothing, wild dino speed is locked at 100%.  Even after its tamed those points it put into speed have no effect.  It be cool if once tamed its speed would go up from those points, but it doesn't.  To make it worse the 75 extra lvls will also be missing roughly 7-15 points that went on speed and literally did nothing.  If you see your animal with over 100% speed once tamed its because it naturally gets a speed buff on tame, any and all points put on speed up to that point literally are wasted and do nothing.  This problem is doubled with aquatic dinos because  they have no oxygen stat, but they put points into oxygen, wasting on both speed and oxygen.

6 hours ago, DeweyDecimal said:

But... Higher food stat gives you a better buffer between feedings. 

Like im not swimming in meat already lol.  We have troughs, with cooked meat your good for at least a day before it goes dry.  If your talking babies, the babies weight stat can allow it to hold meat and then itll eat from the trough.

On 15/04/2018 at 2:03 AM, Onimusha759 said:

Like im not swimming in meat already lol.  We have troughs, with cooked meat your good for at least a day before it goes dry.  If your talking babies, the babies weight stat can allow it to hold meat and then itll eat from the trough.

i wonder how many troughs you'll need when raising 10 giga + 20 rex and some other dino , what you'r saying may be true if you raise only 1-3 babies but at some point you'll start to raise army and you'll understand why you need high stats on food.

15 hours ago, zxv said:

i wonder how many troughs you'll need when raising 10 giga + 20 rex and some other dino , what you'r saying may be true if you raise only 1-3 babies but at some point you'll start to raise army and you'll understand why you need high stats on food.

I think your fantasizing on how many dinos people raise at once.  If i capped at 600 dinos i can feed 60 per trough.  Youll also need a lot of space for said dinos.  No one raises an army in 1 hatching.  And considering i have food drain at 3x on my server and have yet to worry about food, i doubt an upkeep on an army would be that hard with 10 troughs.  I already have about 100 dinos just on my recent map and only have 1 trough which never causes me to worry even with food draining 3x faster.  Also these dinos your talking about breeding wont instantly drain the food, they already will have a decent number to start, after they eat all the food youll have considerable time before the stat drains and then considerable time b4 it actually dies from starvation.  Plus if you arnt being a reject that forgets about them then there should be no problem.  That said i have a few points on my rex and spinos food, but only the natural wild points.

Archived