How do you even deal with this?

MidnaFoxclaw

#TLDR : Someone crying about stuff that veterans don't want to hear.

Ok, so I left my previous server because it was always tame capped, every single day it seemed, and it was a known hotspot for mass breeders and traders to destroy with their corporate storage bases. (by filling the server with insane amounts of dinos)

This week I started on a server with less than half the population of my previous server, thinking things would be different. I spend 2-3 days building a decent sized wooden base, protected by like 30 wooden dino gates. Which is a lot of work on a new character that can barely carry anything. I started in a slightly more difficult area, filled with argentavis, sabers, raptors, carnos, scorpions and rexes. So 50% of the time I was depositing all my valuables into a box and luring predators away from my base, or bolaing smaller ones and poking them to death. 

Inbetween all of that, I kept trying to tame dodos, but the dodos die every time I try to punch or slingshot them unconscious. Then someone says " The easter event won't let you tame the dodos ".... Which instantly blows a noob's life away. How are we suppose to tame a ptera without dodo kibble? Meat? Ok, get ready for 2 hours of level 20 ptera taming, surrounted by predators and NO good dinos to protect it.

So I gave up on the ptera and went straight for an argy, since my base is surrounded by them. I get a pathetic level 10 down right ontop of my house ( Best conditions possible) and I would have had exactly enough meat stored up from countless battles with smaller predators with my spears. ... But then suddenly, at 10:00am  in the morning when there's usually less players online . " Too many dinos on the ark ". Tame capped. The players in the server say it's been that way every single day since the easter event....

I've pretty much given up on Ark online, since the game fights progress in every way possible.... Just imagine how many newbies are turned away by situations like this..

And yeah, whatever, I could have spent time trying to find less crowded, less capped servers, constantly asking in world chat " Is this server capped ", only to get dishonest  replies from regulars who don't want their server to be invaded by newbies, etc etc. I could have went straight for a dino and had no proper base to protect them once I had tamed them, and realized it was capped sooner, etc. I could have went to a newer server with less days old, and hoped it's not already capped by migrating players who are tired of the tame caps on older servers, etc etc. But I didn't, and those things aside, how do you even play ark when you can't do the main objective of the game? Which is to tame dinosaurs? .. Ok well, maybe not EVERYONE's main objective, but the majority of players. 

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, BrtBulldog said:

Just a tip. Use an Equus and lasou the Easter Dodo's and Oviraptor Bunny's in a 2x4 with ramps to get the dodo eggs.

Not quite the root of the issue here though is it. She/He can't use an Equus if the server is tame capped.

I don't know what to say regarding tame capped servers, i'm pretty sure this is the reason why there are no breeding events these days. All I can honestly say, and this is no jab at anything official related, but unofficials you'll find are never tame capped. Of course unofficials come with their own risks, but so do officials right?

I'd just say don't give up entirely, give unofficials a try.

34 minutes ago, MidnaFoxclaw said:

#TLDR : Someone crying about stuff that veterans don't want to hear.

Ok, so I left my previous server because it was always tame capped, every single day it seemed, and it was a known hotspot for mass breeders and traders to destroy with their corporate storage bases. (by filling the server with insane amounts of dinos)

This week I started on a server with less than half the population of my previous server, thinking things would be different. I spend 2-3 days building a decent sized wooden base, protected by like 30 wooden dino gates. Which is a lot of work on a new character that can barely carry anything. I started in a slightly more difficult area, filled with argentavis, sabers, raptors, carnos, scorpions and rexes. So 50% of the time I was depositing all my valuables into a box and luring predators away from my base, or bolaing smaller ones and poking them to death. 

Inbetween all of that, I kept trying to tame dodos, but the dodos die every time I try to punch or slingshot them unconscious. Then someone says " The easter event won't let you tame the dodos ".... Which instantly blows a noob's life away. How are we suppose to tame a ptera without dodo kibble? Meat? Ok, get ready for 2 hours of level 20 ptera taming, surrounted by predators and NO good dinos to protect it.

So I gave up on the ptera and went straight for an argy, since my base is surrounded by them. I get a pathetic level 10 down right ontop of my house ( Best conditions possible) and I would have had exactly enough meat stored up from countless battles with smaller predators with my spears. ... But then suddenly, at 10:00am  in the morning when there's usually less players online . " Too many dinos on the ark ". Tame capped. The players in the server say it's been that way every single day since the easter event....

I've pretty much given up on Ark online, since the game fights progress in every way possible.... Just imagine how many newbies are turned away by situations like this..

And yeah, whatever, I could have spent time trying to find less crowded, less capped servers, constantly asking in world chat " Is this server capped ", only to get dishonest  replies from regulars who don't want their server to be invaded by newbies, etc etc. I could have went straight for a dino and had no proper base to protect them once I had tamed them, and realized it was capped sooner, etc. I could have went to a newer server with less days old, and hoped it's not already capped by migrating players who are tired of the tame caps on older servers, etc etc. But I didn't, and those things aside, how do you even play ark when you can't do the main objective of the game? Which is to tame dinosaurs? .. Ok well, maybe not EVERYONE's main objective, but the majority of players. 

in a way it is easier for a new player with nothing to quit, compared to people who have been playing since launch.

Think of it as a blessing because aside from the money you spent on the game (hopefully on sale) you didn't waste a lot more time.

Doesn't mean it is right, but these are things many players deal with on a daily basis.

We are prisoners of pixels.

Well, they could keep a pen full of feral dodos and just try to replace them when they despawn.  But they'd still need the horse to drag the dodos around, and then they wouldn't have anything to use the kibble on because taming cap again.  :(  You could try singleplayer, but for some people the fact that it is just you and no one else is a massive drawback.

It would be nice if the kibble rework reduced the need to have giant egg farms full of dinos no one rides or cares about.  It wouldn't help with people breeding hundreds of critters trying to get the perfect colors or stat mutations though.  I only play singleplayer, so my collection of dilos doesn't bother anyone else.  I like them, even if they are pretty close to useless, and they seem to breed almost as fast as dodos.  I've been using them to figure out how to design my hatching and breeding areas, and to see how many tries it takes to get color mutations.  And how likely it is to combine colors in a way that looks nice, that sort of thing.  My original plan was to take the ones that didn't work out, let them stand around and passively level up, then take them out and attack an alpha with them.  Turns out 25 dilos are a pain to lead around, and all of them nibbling at once can actually take out an alpha raptor.  So now I have to thunk the ones I can't keep, and try not to feel bad about it.  :(  (Yes, I know they have the personality of Lego bricks, but I still feel bad even if they are just digital pawns.)

4 hours ago, BrixunMortar said:

Cross server transfers killed official, one island, one rag, one center n one ab should be it. Not every server v every server for dino space

Wildcard killed their own Game! Closing hundreds of Servers and open only a few while all other Tamecaped and overpopulated since month its just retarded... 

poopy Hardware + not Enough Server = Overpopulated, Lagging and Caped servers....

Archived