population Dinosaur Population Dropping?

Myrm

Hi

I am playing The Island on Single Player.

When I first spawned into the game (easy south coast areas) I noticed lots of Dodos, pteranodons, parasaurs, and other creatures near me.  However, I am now in game day 110, or somewhere about there, and I am at level 75.  I have noticed that as time goes on there seems to be a dramatic drop in dinosaur population.  I went back to the south coast today, where I first spawned, and it seems the whole area is devoid of life, whereas before it was teeming with creatures.  I hardly see any more sharks in the sea either.

Do the creatures here not reproduce, or are more not spawned into the game?  As they kill each other, and, indeed, as I kill to feed myself and my tamed pets, am I decimating the population of the Island?

I play on XB if that helps.

Thank you.

The wild dino populations seem to exhaust themselves over time, especially apparant on single player. Wild dinos do not reproduce naturally and the populations should be maintained by the game spawning them in automatically.

For me on single player I notice that certain species take over such as raptors on carno island for example. Might be a similiar problem to what you are having. I recommend undartaking regular dino wipes using the destroywilddinos admin command to refresh the spawns.

45 minutes ago, Myrm said:

I play on XBox, therefore (as far as I am aware) I do not have access to admin commands like the PC players do.

You do indeed have access to admin commands on Xbox.  The input box is hidden by default and on the pause screen you have to press 4 buttons simultaneously to reveal it.  I cant remember the combo off the top of my head but check out the wiki and you will find that and the commands you can use.

You activate the admin console on Xbox by pushing RB, LB, X, and Y. 

There’s at least a few good apps which allow you to copy any command you want on your phone, and then paste into the Xbox app when connected to your console. When playing on a private Xbox server with my friends we had to purge all wild dinosaurs periodically as certain ones seemed to stop spawning. 

22 minutes ago, Myrm said:

Thanks for the information regarding the command option on the XBox, I shall check it out momentarily.  So, just to be sure, a wild dino wipe will clear the whole game of WILD dinos, repopulate the Island, but will not wipe my tamed dinos?

Yes, it will only wipe the wild dinos.. Read the wiki on the admin commands 

KK, so I just tamed a level 32 T Rex.  I spawned him in using the command console, but I didn't use any infinite health cheats or auto-tame.  I had a quiver of 50 tranq darts (of which he took most) and I manged to run from him as I was firing arrows.  I then scrambled up a big rock and continued firing.  Eventually he started to run away and so I chased him into the sea.  I fired some more tranq arrows and he fell unconscious - underwater!!!  Luckily he didn't drown.  It seems T Rex can breathe underwater >.<

Not sure if his taming is classed as a cheat because I spawned him in, but that was the only command I used.  The rest of his taming was by normal methods.

He doesn't fit inside my dino pen!! >.<

This could still be the broken spawn glitch that I used to experience when I hosted a private server from a second xbox.  Spawns would just break.  Carno Island would be full of raptors, the frost biome full of wolves and lots of dodos everywhere.  Dimorphs would rule the volcano river.  The only thing I could do to fix this was to do a destroywilddinos every day or every other day.  It resets the map spawns to what they were when you first started the server.  It doesn't impact your already tamed dinos, but I believe it will delete a dino that you have knocked out at the time of performing the command.

Once you clear carno island after you do a wipe, it will again break.

This does NOT happen on Nitrado hosted servers on xbox thankfully.

2 hours ago, Brayn said:

This could still be the broken spawn glitch that I used to experience when I hosted a private server from a second xbox.  Spawns would just break.  Carno Island would be full of raptors, the frost biome full of wolves and lots of dodos everywhere.  Dimorphs would rule the volcano river.  The only thing I could do to fix this was to do a destroywilddinos every day or every other day.  It resets the map spawns to what they were when you first started the server.  It doesn't impact your already tamed dinos, but I believe it will delete a dino that you have knocked out at the time of performing the command.

Once you clear carno island after you do a wipe, it will again break.

This does NOT happen on Nitrado hosted servers on xbox thankfully.

You are correct, it will kill any dino you have knocked out for taming.

There has been a lot of talk about server corruption (specifically on consoles) and dino wipes. It seems most servers that was reported as corrupt save, multiple dino wipes have been used. Why it does it? I dont know. Is it the cause? Noone actually knows.. it cant be coincidence that a majority of threads ive read about corrupt save a bunch of dino wipes were used.

Im also playing SP at the moment and I try not to dino wipe more than once a week real life time. I had a few hosted xbox servers that have corrupted and I really want to take any steps possible to avoid it on my long term SP. 

@Jatheish Have you found any new information regarding this issue? I tag you because I remember you posting on reddit about the correlation between the two.

21 hours ago, Myrm said:

KK, so I just tamed a level 32 T Rex.  I spawned him in using the command console, but I didn't use any infinite health cheats or auto-tame.  I had a quiver of 50 tranq darts (of which he took most) and I manged to run from him as I was firing arrows.  I then scrambled up a big rock and continued firing.  Eventually he started to run away and so I chased him into the sea.  I fired some more tranq arrows and he fell unconscious - underwater!!!  Luckily he didn't drown.  It seems T Rex can breathe underwater >.<

Not sure if his taming is classed as a cheat because I spawned him in, but that was the only command I used.  The rest of his taming was by normal methods.

He doesn't fit inside my dino pen!! >.<

I would consider it cheating, personally. I wouldnt worry too much about it. You will find a higher level one eventually and (hopefully) legit tame it :) 

Archived