Most Underrated Dino

RabbitRidge

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread quickly went from "most underrated dino" to "my favorite dino is".......  Most that people are listing are by no means underrated.  

One that I think IS underrated is the  Megatherium.  As a lower level utility dino or an all-in-one dino to station at a remote base or server you tx back and forth from.  

With the right click attack it's a better berry gatherer than any other medium size dino.  It's top rated at gathering thatch.  It's also top rated at gathering fiber.  It's not the best at gathering wood but does the job.  It's also the best dino for gathering chitin.

In addition to resource gathering it's decent as a guardian.

Really I consider it to be a poor man's Theri.  It's better at resource gathering, not as good in combat.  But not many people use them at all.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:09 AM, ChargingParacerParacer said:

Yeah back when I did play Pelagornis was my main mount. I used mine to farm jellyfish venom, first as a better way to keep dinos knocked out then to craft the shock darts once I hit the required level.

I'll say high level Dimetrodons were worth it in my single player playthroughs. I once tamed up 5 150s and ghe pack of them when leveled could hanlde Allos even with the Alpha bleed.

Yeah, Pelagornis is great for rafts/motorboats. You'll never starve or drown and a lvl 80 or better will get you from the North East Shores River mouth to the top of Frozen Tooth (Far's Peak too of course) without investing in any stamina points. Even more important to me, it has a very tight on the ground turn radius and low profile so it fits good with even one high walls and ceiling (two high is my limit for anything a couple of foundations behind the rudder and every thing forward in order to see). You'll be cursing your mother trying to do that with a Pteranodon for example unless you go open top...which is very risky on river runs. I've also gotten black pearls from their shallow water Trilobite attacks when it was too dangerous for me to kill it.

Edit: forgot to mention the Kairuku organic polymer and prime meat feasts.  :)

It's not my favorite Dino, just the one with the most diverse utility for me and I haven't seen it mentioned much.

4 hours ago, RabbitRidge said:
Yeah, Pelagornis is great for rafts/motorboats. You'll never starve or drown and a lvl 80 or better will get you from the North East Shores River mouth to the top of Frozen Tooth (Far's Peak too of course) without investing in any stamina points. Even more important to me, it has a very tight on the ground turn radius and low profile so it fits good with even one high walls and ceiling (two high is my limit for anything a couple of foundations behind the rudder and every thing forward in order to see). You'll be cursing your mother trying to do that with a Pteranodon for example unless you go open top...which is very risky on river runs. I've also gotten black pearls from their shallow water Trilobite attacks when it was too dangerous for me to kill it.

Edit: forgot to mention the Kairuku organic polymer and prime meat feasts.  :)

It's not my favorite Dino, just the one with the most diverse utility for me and I haven't seen it mentioned much.

Unfortunately even pre nerf it had the worst stats in the game for flying mounts in return for the utility so yeah even back then a lot of people didn't bother even mentioning Pelas. 

Another thing I used them for whdn I did play was eat Leeches for the white pearls and kept some of the blood for antidotes. Trolling Kapros was pretty fun too lol.

2 hours ago, kryddsTeR said:
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:08 AM, RabbitRidge said:
My vote is Pelagornis and if you're interested I'll explain why. But I'm big on Raft use, what's yours?

I would like to know your explanation why you think pelagornis is underrated and how you use it.

They are very useful for getting Polymer from penguins and jellyfish venom from the jellyfish, and the fact they czn land on water to rest where other flying mounts can't is helpful. A well stated Pela is worth it.

On 4/4/2018 at 7:46 PM, Kayin said:

Baryonyx.   They are the ultimate cave mount - you can solo virtually every cave on the island on a good one, and also the best starter water mount you could ever ask for.    My bary is what got me my whale which opened up the deep oceans. 

-K

This right here. That is why i worked on a nice breed line of them. We plannin to try manticore and dragon with barrys as well.

6 hours ago, bigfishrob said:

This right here. That is why i worked on a nice breed line of them. We plannin to try manticore and dragon with barrys as well.

nice.  Do post your results on how the Bary fairs against the dragon. They do have some potential with their fish / heal ability but I haven't extensively tested it to know how viable it'd be to go into the dragon loaded up on raw fish. 

1 hour ago, Kayin said:

nice.  Do post your results on how the Bary fairs against the dragon. They do have some potential with their fish / heal ability but I haven't extensively tested it to know how viable it'd be to go into the dragon loaded up on raw fish. 

The benefit would be the ability to run and gun, manuverability, and good direct dmg. I have taken a barry in the past and since it is % dmg i was able to tank a round even with it.

Equus. I started breeding them a bit ago but mostly for looks and because I liked their ability to craft mortar stuff. Little did I know how amazing they really are especially for beginners until I had to move my legacy chars to another server and had nothing: not only are they really easy to tame in the highlands of ragnarok where carrots just grow in the field, they're fast, can carry a lot, have weight reduction on some resources, gather berries and the ability to knock out dinos is just gold. I got a lv 140 one and really just knock out anything that is too fast or defensive to hunt on foot. And yay, horses!

On 4/9/2018 at 8:08 PM, mobius999 said:

This thread quickly went from "most underrated dino" to "my favorite dino is".......  Most that people are listing are by no means underrated.  

One that I think IS underrated is the  Megatherium.  As a lower level utility dino or an all-in-one dino to station at a remote base or server you tx back and forth from.  

With the right click attack it's a better berry gatherer than any other medium size dino.  It's top rated at gathering thatch.  It's also top rated at gathering fiber.  It's not the best at gathering wood but does the job.  It's also the best dino for gathering chitin.

In addition to resource gathering it's decent as a guardian.

Really I consider it to be a poor man's Theri.  It's better at resource gathering, not as good in combat.  But not many people use them at all.

My megatherium on SE is the king of the desert. murder waterbugs for the buff and then murder everything else. It can tank and kill two death worms at once... Dont think a theri can do that.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:00 PM, kryddsTeR said:
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:08 AM, RabbitRidge said:
My vote is Pelagornis and if you're interested I'll explain why. But I'm big on Raft use, what's yours?

I would like to know your explanation why you think pelagornis is underrated and how you use it.

Think I generally already provided much of that 4 posts previous to yours.

But I could also add that they attract Ichthyosaurus and Megalodons, which makes trapping and taming them much easier. They also have very good swimming sprint speed, so luring an Alpha Megalodon away from your area (and possibly to someone's water base...which I wouldn't do) is easy.

On 4/4/2018 at 2:08 AM, RabbitRidge said:

Until recently, Pachyrhino.  They have been exposed as the most overpowered bullet soakers in the game.  I believe with a MC saddle they take about 5 dmg per bullet. It's absurd.  

27 minutes ago, Sharpshot879 said:

Otters, they are stronger than you would think and are adorable. Just watch their health.

Huh? Their base damage is 10, one of the lowest in the game. Their base health is basically non-existent and they have no saddle for defense. They are adorable, but the only thing they are underrated for is their ability to carry artifacts.

Archived