Most Underrated Dino

RabbitRidge

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:08 AM, RabbitRidge said:
My vote is Pelagornis and if you're interested I'll explain why. But I'm big on Raft use, what's yours?

Yeah back when I did play Pelagornis was my main mount. I used mine to farm jellyfish venom, first as a better way to keep dinos knocked out then to craft the shock darts once I hit the required level.

I'll say high level Dimetrodons were worth it in my single player playthroughs. I once tamed up 5 150s and ghe pack of them when leveled could hanlde Allos even with the Alpha bleed.

I feel like mammoths don't get a lot of love anymore because of beavers. They are better wood collectors because of their much higher base weight and better wood weight reduction. Plus they have decent HP, stamina and melee so they're pretty good at combat too. I hadn't tamed one in a long time because my tribemates always want beavers, but when I moved to official it was much easier for me to get a mammoth. It's not even that good a level but it has served me very well for both gathering and base defense.

I also feel like spinos don't get the attention they deserve even after the TLC. I've been stuck on a rex as my only good combat mount and I am so, so sick of this thing. It's slow, its AoE sucks, it barely swims and I've actually died from its bad hitbox, not being able to hit dimos after stepping on one by accident. I have a spino but it's a low level event color animal, I would kill for a high level one right now. Sure, they may not be able to handle bosses like a rex, but they can travel literally anywhere you want to go, they're so fast compared to a rex and with the tlc even more agile than before (the original still had a better turning radius than a rex imo). On the other hand I kind of like them being less popular so less people are hunting for them lol, I'm lucky in that my server pillared off all their spawn points so people can't unintentionally block the spawns.

1. Spino. Since Aberration I like them a lot. On Island they are rare and I never bothered with them. I transferred high lvl aberrant spinos to Island and started breeding them there for color muts. I use them to farm meat and fish. Can't wait for the TLC 2 (PS4) then they become even better. The rex might be better at meat farming, I don't know. I never cared for the rex in game and in real life. It's not appealing to me. 

Just wish I could make the spino shut up. Those hissing sounds are terror to my ears.

2. Direwolf. Was it always that strong? Or only since the TLC 1 phase? I can't remember. It has good attack speed and can destroy stuff quick. Solo that is (my strongest one currently has 9.4k health, 405% melee and 67% imprint), in the pack it's even better. I killed a lvl 100 bronto in 20-30 seconds and lost only 2k health to a lvl 40 alpha raptor. I'm positively surprised. I like the wolf a lot now and started breeding them for color muts. 

55 minutes ago, AdligerAdler said:

2. Direwolf. Was it always that strong? Or only since the TLC 1 phase? I can't remember. It has good attack speed and can destroy stuff quick. Solo that is (my strongest one currently has 9.4k health, 405% melee and 67% imprint), in the pack it's even better. I killed a lvl 100 bronto in 20-30 seconds and lost only 2k health to a lvl 40 alpha raptor. I'm positively surprised. I like the wolf a lot now and started breeding them for color muts. 

Wolves have always been good in packs. They have been very good caving mounts for tribes for a long time. The problem they ran into was they suck solo and are very much so glass cannons. They did get a boost during the tlc, but they were strong and overlooked before that as well.

My vote would be the moschops or baryonyx. The moschops is one of the best gatherers hands down. You can't beat the org poly farming it can do. They are fairly easy to tame once you get a fishing rod or a good water dino to get raw prime fish meat. With them becoming rideable I think we will see a lot more of these out on the servers soon.

My second bet would be baryonyx. The reason this is second for me is I don't think they are as overlooked as moschops. There are quite a few people who know how good they are and breed them, but a lot of people don't seem to know what they even are or what they can do. A high level one that is leveled in health (over 5k minimum) and melee (anywhere over 500% will be very strong) can clear all the caves it can fit into (including swamp cave) like they are nothing. Couple that with the fact they are decent swimmers and have that ridiculously amazing move when they are swimming and literally all my wolves and sabers have become obsolete. I don't even use them at all anymore.

My personal favorite mount is the Iguanodon!  They move fast, hit hard enough to take out low to mid level rex's, and have enough HP to survive in many of the easier caves.  To top it all off, you can shoot while mounted allowing you to face tank stronger dinos to tame.  Even after I got my rex on the Island, I still used high level Iguanodons for travel in semi-dangerous areas.  It also helped that I lived above a cave and could use them to farm crystal in hard-to-reach places.

Megaloceros. Hard counters onyc and dimorphs, has solid scaling for it's size, solid speed.. prim + I use a bred one to defend my base from rexes that kept coming up to eat my plants.. I would chase them and hit them and run and repeat. Eventually killing all 3 of their rexes before they made it to my second layer of xplants. I don't ever run caves anymore nor do I do boss fights so I have little use for them. But they are extremely good in the right circumstances

Surely everyone here is joking, right? We all know about the completely broken kangas (procoptodon), even before the TLC they were op, but now they are beyond broken. They can traverse the entire map in a matter of seconds, their kick attack can wreck dinos (my bred one cans killed two titans so far), and their berry gathering is better than a bronto near green obelisk on Ragnarok. Couple that with the fact that it has insane weight, saddle armor, and can carry TWO PLAYERS.....     one player with c4 in the pounch can raid a base, even if they have heavy turrets.

On Wednesday, April 04, 2018 at 3:15 PM, AdligerAdler said:

1. Spino. Since Aberration I like them a lot. On Island they are rare and I never bothered with them. I transferred high lvl aberrant spinos to Island and started breeding them there for color muts. I use them to farm meat and fish. Can't wait for the TLC 2 (PS4) then they become even better. The rex might be better at meat farming, I don't know. I never cared for the rex in game and in real life. It's not appealing to me. 

Just wish I could make the spino shut up. Those hissing sounds are terror to my ears.

Wolves used to be the only good way to pelt in early days after the great dino melee nerf. You would take your 250% speed quetz with 15 xplants (lol) and a few wolves and massacre.

I see a lot of overused mounts mentioned here, Bary, Bear, Thyla etc. My vote is on Terror Bird. I do a lot of no flyer runs and a good bred terror bird with a nice saddle (can boost speed and weight) is a beast. I also like speed sabers for travel now that they take less fall damage. Just wish they added a claw jump to latch onto big tames

On 4/5/2018 at 1:15 PM, Kraken said:

Procoptodon, pretty much my main go to non flyer mount, the new kick attack is boss, they gather berries like champs, quick, agile, can jump to almost anywhere, and they're fun af.

ha, this so much. procoptodons now properly statted can cross a map faster than really anything if you include their super jump to scale mountains.  I'd like to add the megalania. it's great for caves and it gives mega rabies.  i've done alot of caves by walking on walls with the megalania with a flock of dimorphs with me to deal with bats.

Archived