PvP is not Safe? PvE is also! (Better Server Discussion)

ChylChaz

I've been playing Ark for almost 9,000 Hours main on PvP. I know the struggle of building and getting wiped on PvP. So I took the experience and tried it on PvE. Just to chill and relax until I found out that building a house or base is nearly impossible. Due to the pillar + ladder trick where all you need to do is place it down, a server is not safe. I feel like it is a waste of time creating new PvE servers due to this. Tribes can go around the entire map without getting penalized. This gives new PvE players that want to build a base and work hard almost nothing to do but leave their dinos and items out in the open. Feeling cluttered doesn't help when you have to put your dinos in random parts of the map. Then I hop back to PvP. The servers are just ridiculous. I am an exceptionally patient person. I deal with the lag but at some times, I believe that your servers are being hosted off of $20 basic server packages with no reliable backups or smooth running connections. This is just a quick rant, opinions are appreciated.

There are plenty of free spots on most maps, the issue is that most people don't try to find a spot for more than 2 minutes. On PVE you have to protect a lot of spots or noobs will build on them(beaver dams, metal spawns, certain dino spawns,  player spawn locations). People also pillar around their base to prevent people from building right next to you, which can be a huge problem if its a large dino count tribe and your pc isn't that strong.

I have only seen it become a really big issue when the new servers were added recently. When our tribe went to a ragnarok server, we found people pillaring large areas that were simply too large to use, and if anyone asked for the land they would respond with a comment about how much are you willing to pay to buy it. It was quite crazy, but as time passed, since there is so much available land it wasn't really a massive issue, more just an inconvenience since the mega tribes stole much of the best land. 

Pretty much why we never left legacy, once we got established it was a hard call, so although we are on borrowed time, what was the options? jump ship like a lot of other people did? fight for space? suffer the same dino taming limits everyone else did? and for pete's sake? 500 cap per tribe?? we just got a 50 upgrade not too long ago and legacy is still on 250, maybe thats why everyone is tame capped?

9 hours ago, jtbn said:

I have only seen it become a really big issue when the new servers were added recently. When our tribe went to a ragnarok server, we found people pillaring large areas that were simply too large to use, and if anyone asked for the land they would respond with a comment about how much are you willing to pay to buy it. It was quite crazy, but as time passed, since there is so much available land it wasn't really a massive issue, more just an inconvenience since the mega tribes stole much of the best land. 

PVE has always been first come first serve.  Curious how someone can steal something that is not actually yours in the first place?  While the pillaring issue has been around for a few years at this point the truth is that there is always somewhere to build if you look, no one even the large tribes on PVE have the dedication or the motivations to completely lock down a server.  People just give up looking way too fast or are bummed they cant build right where they spawned on servers that are even thousands of in game days old.

21 hours ago, d1nk said:

Thats beside the point. As someone who advocates this usually there is  no place for that in this thread

No, it's right on point.

The problem is missing administration on officials and this is something that will not change. It's something players complain about for more than 2 years and after release it didnt got better. The solution is to play on properly administated servers, you only find them on unofficial.

On 4/2/2018 at 4:58 AM, ChylChaz said:

I've been playing Ark for almost 9,000 Hours main on PvP. I know the struggle of building and getting wiped on PvP. So I took the experience and tried it on PvE. Just to chill and relax until I found out that building a house or base is nearly impossible. Due to the pillar + ladder trick where all you need to do is place it down, a server is not safe. I feel like it is a waste of time creating new PvE servers due to this. Tribes can go around the entire map without getting penalized. This gives new PvE players that want to build a base and work hard almost nothing to do but leave their dinos and items out in the open. Feeling cluttered doesn't help when you have to put your dinos in random parts of the map. Then I hop back to PvP. The servers are just ridiculous. I am an exceptionally patient person. I deal with the lag but at some times, I believe that your servers are being hosted off of $20 basic server packages with no reliable backups or smooth running connections. This is just a quick rant, opinions are appreciated.

The solution is trusting PVP, Find a server that has governship through a mega. Mega tribes can't be threatened (like an admin) so you can build safely if your cool with them. I got built up off of one protecting us and supplying us with a quetz and anky to start. 

I felt the same way when I first started PvE, as I tried to build my little thatch hut and later my wooden palace.  You just need to have patience, and spend some time scouting locations for a long term base.  People quit and land becomes available, or you find land in areas other people won’t go (swamp, etc) that make great long term bases close to strategic resources.  I spent a lot of time on the island trying to secure “easy” bases in the south before settling on land bordering the snow...this ended up being way closer to great metal spawns, nice carnivore taming areas, pearls, oil, etc.  Was it harder to get established there?  For sure, but this is a survival game and PvE is easy mode.  There’s land available on every server and map, just have to venture out a bit.  My recommendation is to first find a server with the community you like and then find land to build.  I’ve upgraded my base location twice by moving when other players vacated a space...didn’t really need to, just found more convenient and prettier areas...if you plan on playing for months then it shouldn’t be an issue.

How many servers did you try before deciding you didn't like PVE servers? As a general rule, PVEs do have their own "alphas"--not necessarily the strongest, but the players with the strongest influence/presence on the server. Just like a PVP server, they have a lot to do with the community of the server itself, so yes some PVE servers are just as toxic as any PVP. But not all of them, you need to spend a little time looking around for ones that mesh well with you. I got lucky, the first official I tried is a decent place, it probably helps that I decided to set up on The Island, reasoning that it's a less popular map and a new server so I was able to get a foothold without much trouble.

Generally, pillaring is important for the general health of a PVE server. If you find one that is truly pillared "everywhere" then you don't want to stay there, obviously. On mine the pillars are mainly on mountains, around player spawns and protecting spino/beaver/other rare or important spawns. There are also pillars and foundations down on the areas people plan to build on. That's what I did to protect my territory before I was able to build the walls and lay my base foundation. When I'm done building I'll reduce but not entirely remove my security perimeter, so that way I'm not blocked in the event I need to add or rebuild something.

If the beaches/player spawns weren't pillared there would be bases on top of them. One spawn on my server is already inside a base and that has been causing issues for new players even though they did unlock the door. So if you want to find somewhere to build, get off the beach. Even just a few steps inland and you would probably find plenty of space. Try using a raft base until you get a raptor or a bird to scout for a base location; just stick to the shallows and Leeds won't be a problem.

Archived