modding Wildcard Workshop #3: Building our First Mod

ZenRowe

• Wildcard Community

Welcome to Episode #3 of Wildcard Workshop where we actually build our first mod.
The mod is simple but it leaves a lot of room for us to expand and polish it in the future. (And we will)

You will see how to prototype your mods using existing assets, testing your mod in PIE, and hooking it all up with the entry points that were built for us to use for implementing out mods in game. At the end of this video we have a mod that if it were to be uploaded to the workshop, it should work!

I hope you enjoy the tutorial and learn something new, and as always if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

<-- Back to Wildcard Workshop tutorials

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Zen,

I may have missed something.  By the end of this video, everything was working fine except for one thing.

I can see the engram for the dino shrine and can learn it. I can see the engram in my crafting engrams. I can create a dino shrine and place it in my hotbar.

When I press the number key for the hotbar slot to place the dino shrine, it shows up as most do when trying to find a place to put it.  Unfortunately at the same time it spawns a turtle.  Yes, that is before I have placed it anywhere.  If I then click somewhere to place the shrine, it spawns another turtle.  So now I have two.

What is causing the first turtle to appear when I choose the hotbar number key to place the Dino Shrine?

• Wildcard Community
1 hour ago, shaunmontg said:

Hi Zen,

I may have missed something.  By the end of this video, everything was working fine except for one thing.

I can see the engram for the dino shrine and can learn it. I can see the engram in my crafting engrams. I can create a dino shrine and place it in my hotbar.

When I press the number key for the hotbar slot to place the dino shrine, it shows up as most do when trying to find a place to put it.  Unfortunately at the same time it spawns a turtle.  Yes, that is before I have placed it anywhere.  If I then click somewhere to place the shrine, it spawns another turtle.  So now I have two.

What is causing the first turtle to appear when I choose the hotbar number key to place the Dino Shrine?

This gets addressed in a later video, you did nothing wrong. The reason this occurs is that the preview structure is also running all of that code as well. You'll see how to prevent that in a few videos.

Archived