Let's talk about Element and Boss Farming

Kayin

38 minutes ago, GGSDubSt3pz said:

i grind bosses regulary for my weekly use and it really is boring. Especially when you need to get sails on island. Some ideas i had:

-unlock Tek element harvester from Tek cave which allows to farm shards by harvesting alphas with it.

-some sort of weekly challenges that are defined by the players progress. Lower lvl tribes earn basic resources while end game tribe get element.

-alternate fuel for generator which is crafted with black pearls and other higher tier resources.

with just one of these alternate ways to maintain Tek, it would take away the speed artifact runs, boring tribute farming and the brainless "attack target" boss fight.

Also, they could make the weapons and armor run out of the generator. So you could recharge your suit and guns by being within the radius of a generator, and having element in your inventory would be an alternative if you plan on traveling with it.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:38 AM, Kayin said:

The Good:

• Beating a boss the first time at each difficulty is fun.  It's challenging to try different strategies and is overall good content
  • Tek is cool and opens up a lot of unique end gameplay that honestly changes the dynamic of inter-tribe relations.   

The Bad: 

• All Tek is dependent on Element, and not a little bit of element,  A LOT of element.    This would be fine EXCEPT the only way to get element is boss farming. 
  • Beating a boss requires a large investment that is equally at risk the first time or the 1000th time you fight the boss.  
  • Let's face it, after the 3rd time you brainlessly beat the Beta Broodmother,  you want to fall asleep. 

The Results:

Certain Tek items are too expensive to ever actually use without cheat mods. 

• Underwater bases never get constructed or used
  • Tek Saddles are essentially just cosmetic costumes.
  • Tek Armor pieces are purely prestige items that are never used.

The rest of the Tek tier is essentially limited to alpha mega tribes with 10+ people who rotate the element farming as a tribe duty.   Sure, we've seen youtubes and streams of alpha tribes with lots of element all attained back when you could trap the alpha dragon.  Now-a-days you can't do that.

With network latency being a problem a DC can wipe a SIGNIFICANT investment. I don't think there's a tribe around - including a mega tribe - that wouldn't groan at the thought of a boss army being wiped. 

I like how Aberration has an element crafting station.  I have not used those though.  Considering Element can't be transferred, how does this stack up? Do we want to see more of these things?  I personally would like to see a mechanism to craft element, albeit an expensive mechanism.   Just something to remove the boss grind. 

I think it'd change the game a lot in a positive direction but I'm curious what others think as well.

-K

I have been trying to devise a method of farming element from the gamma-dragon and we have the artifacts as well as the tames down to a science. We just have not figured out the technique during the boss fight. I am looking for someone who can teach the raid technique to the administrators of my tribe. 

While reading your post and experiencing the later-game, I have to argue that the caves are far-more superior to the boss fights. Most of the tek-tier lacks a specific type of value that the blueprints offer. The rifles, grenades, or any of it for that matter are not affected by the crafting skill. Meanwhile the BP's that you can loot have actual usage value.

Tek, it looks pretty. Key components of it are extremely beneficial. For the most-part though there is no usage value whenever comparing them to the loots that the caves offer. 

1 hour ago, jrulie101 said:

I have been trying to devise a method of farming element from the gamma-dragon and we have the artifacts as well as the tames down to a science. We just have not figured out the technique during the boss fight. I am looking for someone who can teach the raid technique to the administrators of my tribe. 

While reading your post and experiencing the later-game, I have to argue that the caves are far-more superior to the boss fights. Most of the tek-tier lacks a specific type of value that the blueprints offer. The rifles, grenades, or any of it for that matter are not affected by the crafting skill. Meanwhile the BP's that you can loot have actual usage value.

Tek, it looks pretty. Key components of it are extremely beneficial. For the most-part though there is no usage value whenever comparing them to the loots that the caves offer. 

Take a deer. Ride it and use a shotgun. Have rex riders as well. Shoot dragon to aggro it while riding deer. 

I am in a 2 man tribe and we both have full-time jobs and families and have still managed to get enough element to get the things we want from boss runs. We have a generator and troughs and some tek gates.  This is now allowing us to raise more and more rexes.  One medium spider run lets us run the generator for more than a week.  I think they should add some value to some of the other BP  but I don't think the grind is that bad.

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, Kayin said:

The Bad: 

• This would be fine EXCEPT the only way to get element is boss farming

This point is void since Aberration.

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, Migol said:

1. Tek Saddles need more functionality than "Firin mah lazor!".    Make it a Tapejera speed increase with booster rockets.    Give the rex some health regen (out of combat maybe for balance).    Etc etc

They had more functionality, like taming golems. Kiss that goodbye.

Now its just the pew pew and cool factor left.

Main thing i would like to see changed would be lowering the cost of running the genny on the higher settings and that would just be a QOL change.  As a PVE player myself i would remind those complaining about the saddles to watch a few PVP raid videos, the Tek saddles are pure offense and those lazors deal massive damage and can kill people off of saddles with just splash damage.

On the armor, it would be nice if we somehow had a way to improve the dura on them.  Im not bothered too much by the armor rating as the abilities make up for it but that expensive armor breaking faster that ramshackle flak seems pretty weak.

1 hour ago, Dreadnaught said:

Main thing i would like to see changed would be lowering the cost of running the genny on the higher settings and that would just be a QOL change.  As a PVE player myself i would remind those complaining about the saddles to watch a few PVP raid videos, the Tek saddles are pure offense and those lazors deal massive damage and can kill people off of saddles with just splash damage.

On the armor, it would be nice if we somehow had a way to improve the dura on them.  Im not bothered too much by the armor rating as the abilities make up for it but that expensive armor breaking faster that ramshackle flak seems pretty weak.

Tek BP’s would solve this and add an element to the game I think is missing. 

The fact that no one uses the tek generators to completely replace their gas generators proves that something is broken in my mind.

When you get to flak, do you still wear hide armor? when you get an industrial forge or cooker or grill, do you still use stone forge, cooking pot, or campfire? if you go through the Massive grind to beat all the bosses, you should be able to freely use (within reason) all your learned tek engrams without perpetually spending more time grinding for element than doing anything else in the game.

Is there a possible issue with too much element leading to it becoming too easy to run and maintain 100's of tek turrets and shield generators? i don't know, i don't pvp in this game.

They should have done something like make element harvestable in the tek cave. the higher difficulty the cave run, the more element you can harvest. And give the option at the end of the tek cave to teleport out with your element or teleport to the boss.

I don't know a perfect solution that would make most people happy, i just know the current system sucks and needs change :P

• 2 months later...

I just started playing this game in January of 2018, i have a full time job and a family. We started out with a 3 man tribe. It took us 2 months to get from ground zero to a point where we can start raising dinos. Unfortunately my tribe mates stopped playing before the rex raising saga. So after raising 20 rexs i started my element grind. Now a single man tribe it really is more work then i would like to put in for so little reward. I'm still only able to do gamma brood and monkey i lost 20 dinos to the gamma dragon and had to start over ( almost quit there) breeding rexs. I played wow and other mmo games and they all seem to have a rare boss system out in the world that is ok. I don't see why Ark couldn't do some kind of loot chest or rare spawn mechanic something to difficult for a player that can't at least kill a boss. 

its easy to farm alpha monkey with 19 rexs and 1 yuty now adays  (on pve) but i wouldnt suggest doing a boss fight solo if you dc or die then its pretty much good bye dinos

i also agree with waza there should be a worldly mini boss type thing maybe a couple of different ones that spawn on a rotation basis , even something that gigas could join in on would be nice possibly a water world boss too that mosas and tusos could get stuck into would be cool

6 hours ago, Tiguris said:

I just started playing this game in January of 2018, i have a full time job and a family. We started out with a 3 man tribe. It took us 2 months to get from ground zero to a point where we can start raising dinos. Unfortunately my tribe mates stopped playing before the rex raising saga. So after raising 20 rexs i started my element grind. Now a single man tribe it really is more work then i would like to put in for so little reward. I'm still only able to do gamma brood and monkey i lost 20 dinos to the gamma dragon and had to start over ( almost quit there) breeding rexs. I played wow and other mmo games and they all seem to have a rare boss system out in the world that is ok. I don't see why Ark couldn't do some kind of loot chest or rare spawn mechanic something to difficult for a player that can't at least kill a boss. 

Not everything has to be made easy. The bosses are easy enough albiet time consuming. Many solo players regularly clear bosses on official. Just takes prep and planning

You are correct, everything doesn't have to be easy. And that is not what i'm saying. I do at least 2 bosses a day, that requires getting all of the artifacts and having the rexs that i raise that also requires 100 hours of time. The  reward factor could be better. Killing rare spawns doesn't have to be easy. I just prefer to be rewarded for time spent in this game. Not being kicked in the nuts for playing.

Too lazy to read all the replies. In a nutshell though this post is wrong. Me and my wife are two people and can run Alpha Ragnarok arena no problem with 19 Rexes and 1 Yuty. The Rexes aren't even top of the line or imprinted. ? One run nets 410 element which is enough to run a Tek Generator on max range for two months.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/29/2018 at 10:01 AM, BrixunMortar said:

I'd personally like tek to have never been added, to me it ruined the game and caused the mega tribe problem we now see.

I disagree. Its a really cool set of armour and u can get around so much easier. (for me anyways) It's hard to get and you dont see someone with tek everyday. Also, from what I know it breaks easily. (might be wrong) So you constantly have to repair it each time, but that's because tek armour is really useful. I don't feel your problem because I only play PVE, but still. This is your opinion and im fine with that :)

3 hours ago, AdventurousSun said:

I disagree. Its a really cool set of armour and u can get around so much easier. (for me anyways) It's hard to get and you dont see someone with tek everyday. Also, from what I know it breaks easily. (might be wrong) So you constantly have to repair it each time, but that's because tek armour is really useful. I don't feel your problem because I only play PVE, but still. This is your opinion and im fine with that :)

Old thread but the tek blueprints help with that. Great for pve (immune to rad and spores with it!) Plus if you have element to burn you can travel pretty quick around 

2 man tribe,  we grind element on Alpha Monkey one or 2 runs a week allows us to do anything we want Tek wise. Realistically though we only really use Tek gennys,  teleporter replicator, cloning chamber, tek troughs and tek door/gateways (  best tek item without a doubt ). Most other tek isn't that beneficial in day to day play.

Archived