Let's talk about Element and Boss Farming

Kayin

The Good:

• Beating a boss the first time at each difficulty is fun.  It's challenging to try different strategies and is overall good content
  • Tek is cool and opens up a lot of unique end gameplay that honestly changes the dynamic of inter-tribe relations.   

The Bad: 

• All Tek is dependent on Element, and not a little bit of element,  A LOT of element.    This would be fine EXCEPT the only way to get element is boss farming. 
  • Beating a boss requires a large investment that is equally at risk the first time or the 1000th time you fight the boss.  
  • Let's face it, after the 3rd time you brainlessly beat the Beta Broodmother,  you want to fall asleep. 

The Results:

Certain Tek items are too expensive to ever actually use without cheat mods. 

• Underwater bases never get constructed or used
  • Tek Saddles are essentially just cosmetic costumes.
  • Tek Armor pieces are purely prestige items that are never used.

The rest of the Tek tier is essentially limited to alpha mega tribes with 10+ people who rotate the element farming as a tribe duty.   Sure, we've seen youtubes and streams of alpha tribes with lots of element all attained back when you could trap the alpha dragon.  Now-a-days you can't do that.

With network latency being a problem a DC can wipe a SIGNIFICANT investment. I don't think there's a tribe around - including a mega tribe - that wouldn't groan at the thought of a boss army being wiped. 

I like how Aberration has an element crafting station.  I have not used those though.  Considering Element can't be transferred, how does this stack up? Do we want to see more of these things?  I personally would like to see a mechanism to craft element, albeit an expensive mechanism.   Just something to remove the boss grind. 

I think it'd change the game a lot in a positive direction but I'm curious what others think as well.

-K

Element is a pain to make on ab. We’ve moved over there to start raising drakes, and I’m grinding element as of this week to run the tek pods (which are great by the way). I have one charge station covered completely, and have made about 50 batteries. This lets me make 18 element at a time. But I have to find five other charge stations to make element because of the 5min cooldown and the 20-30min cooldown to recharge the station so its usable again. So I can make roughly 40-60 element per hour, but it feels real grindy. If the charge station was powered by a tek generator, that would be awesome. But as it is, I’ll get the shards we need to run the generator for the sleeping pods and that’ll be about it I think. 

For bosses, I’d rather run alpha monkey all day long, IF Wildcard ever increase the spino spawns. It’s ridiculously slow to collect them at this point. Spawn increases would help this endgame function. I spend 10-12 hours grinding spino sails to run two or three boss fights. Seems a bit out of balance compared to the rest of the body parts we need. 

Even with 5x element drops from bosses, it's still a grind to get enough to just run a couple tek generators and have some to use for tek suits...

the Crystal Isles map has it right IMO, harvestable element from crystals in the most dangerous part of the map :) now if only element was transferable with a ini setting...

20 minutes ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

Even with 5x element drops from bosses, it's still a grind to get enough to just run a couple tek generators and have some to use for tek suits...

the Crystal Isles map has it right IMO, harvestable element from crystals in the most dangerous part of the map :) now if only element was transferable with a ini setting...

That's making things a little too easy, boss farming isn't hard and you don't need to do it much unless you want to build a tek base.  With just the two of us in our tribe we've built  everything including a tek base with some ape grinding.  Put a bounty on sails and noobs will collect them for you.

1 hour ago, Kayin said:

The Good:

• Beating a boss the first time at each difficulty is fun.  It's challenging to try different strategies and is overall good content
  • Tek is cool and opens up a lot of unique end gameplay that honestly changes the dynamic of inter-tribe relations.   

The Bad: 

• All Tek is dependent on Element, and not a little bit of element,  A LOT of element.    This would be fine EXCEPT the only way to get element is boss farming. 
  • Beating a boss requires a large investment that is equally at risk the first time or the 1000th time you fight the boss.  
  • Let's face it, after the 3rd time you brainlessly beat the Beta Broodmother,  you want to fall asleep. 

The Results:

Certain Tek items are too expensive to ever actually use without cheat mods. 

• Underwater bases never get constructed or used
  • Tek Saddles are essentially just cosmetic costumes.
  • Tek Armor pieces are purely prestige items that are never used.

The rest of the Tek tier is essentially limited to alpha mega tribes with 10+ people who rotate the element farming as a tribe duty.   Sure, we've seen youtubes and streams of alpha tribes with lots of element all attained back when you could trap the alpha dragon.  Now-a-days you can't do that.

With network latency being a problem a DC can wipe a SIGNIFICANT investment. I don't think there's a tribe around - including a mega tribe - that wouldn't groan at the thought of a boss army being wiped. 

I like how Aberration has an element crafting station.  I have not used those though.  Considering Element can't be transferred, how does this stack up? Do we want to see more of these things?  I personally would like to see a mechanism to craft element, albeit an expensive mechanism.   Just something to remove the boss grind. 

I think it'd change the game a lot in a positive direction but I'm curious what others think as well.

-K

Well, not sure why you think TEK is so tedious/difficult to obtain.

Let me tell you about our MEGA - Read 3 (Three) person tribe.

We constantly have lots of Element available to us. We have countless transmitters, a replicator on every map. A cloning chamber on one map, about to make a second one this weekend to clone Basilisks, Crabs etc. An abundance of Tek dino gates. 

An entire structure made of TEK. 45x45 base platform. so it's not a small thing.

50+ Tek troughs, a dozen or so Tek generators, 4 or 5 Tek teleport pads.

Rex's getting wiped? Sure it's a thing. But we plan accordingly and have backups waiting.

We are in process of building a facility to house our Boss Rex army, scaled to hold upwards of 450+ of them. And have 150+ Boss Rexes ready to go as needed (Due to the Issues you mention). As soon as the structure is done we will be hatching 200+ more Rex's to fill it. We have a set of Rex's on Island for fights and a set on the Rag map for fights.

We have completed all Boss fights on all difficulties (Have not done Alpha Rag, no need to do so, is only reason). Completed Alpha Dragon on Island back in December, most likely will not be doing that again anytime soon, No need to, is why.

Takes 25 minutes to set up and run an Alpha Broodmother or Alpha Monkey. We have enough tribute to run about 100 Alpha Broods, running low on Monkey tribute. So we now pretty much run Alpha Brood exclusively. That's 84 Element every day if needed.

All of this with a 3 man tribe, not what I would call Alpha or anything near it, and before you say we have no life, we all have full-time jobs.

As for the gear, we do have some TEK gear, Boots (They Rock), Helmets are great for TEK Cave, Chest also. We do not wear these at all times. But we are about to do so with the boots, cause they rock.

AB Element is easy enough to make and we use that to supplement what we might fall short of elsewhere, not transferable, true, but we craft it into what we need then transfer it off.

Your thoughts are not so much a matter if it is doable/feasible for small tribes. It depends on what your tribe wants to do, plan for it and getting it done, that is how we have done it. Yeah, the fights are tedious, but so what, so are meat runs to raise Dino's, but you still do that when you need it, countless more times than Boss fights happen.

We used to trap the Dragon on Legacy, but since Retail release, not once have we trapped the dragon.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

30 minutes ago, Palenor said:

We constantly have lots of Element available to us. We have countless transmitters, a replicator on every map. A cloning chamber on one map, about to make a second one this weekend to clone Basilisks, Crabs etc. An abundance of Tek dino gates. 

An entire structure made of TEK. 45x45 base platform. so it's not a small thing.

Rex's getting wiped? Sure it's a thing. But we plan accordingly and have backups waiting.

We are in process of building a facility to house our Boss Rex army, scaled to hold upwards of 450+ of them. And have 150+ Boss Rexes ready to go as needed (Due to the Issues you mention). As soon as the structure is done we will be hatching 200+ more Rex's to fill it. We have a set of Rex's on Island for fights and a set on the Rag map for fights.

We have completed all Boss fights on all difficulties (Have not done Alpha Rag, no need to do so, is only reason). Completed Alpha Dragon on Island back in December, most likely will not be doing that again anytime soon, No need to, is why.

Takes 25 minutes to set up and run an Alpha Broodmother or Alpha Monkey. We have enough tribute to run about 100 Alpha Broods, running low on Monkey tribute. So we now pretty much run Alpha Brood exclusively. That's 84 Element every day if needed.

All of this with a 3 man tribe, not what I would call Alpha or anything near it, and before you say we have no life, we all have full-time jobs.

As for the gear, we do have some TEK gear, Boots (They Rock), Helmets are great for TEK Cave, Chest also. We do not wear these at all times. But we are about to do so with the boots, cause they rock.

AB Element is easy enough to make and we use that to supplement what we might fall short of elsewhere, not transferable, true, but we craft it into what we need then transfer it off.

Your thoughts are not so much a matter if it is doable/feasible for small tribes. It depends on what your tribe wants to do, plan for it and getting it done, that is how we have done it. Yeah, the fights are tedious, but so what, so are meat runs to raise Dino's, but you still do that when you need it, countless more times than Boss fights happen.

We used to trap the Dragon on Legacy, but since Retail release, not once have we trapped the dragon.

What you are describing is possible but it is an insane time investment that is not viable for the average and even active player. 450 rexes? While I applaud your investment, you're just proving to us how much time it takes to get tek.

Also, the fact that many tek items are subpar compared to other much more obtainable items is just a slap in the face (armor, saddle armor and gun, for example). Before you tell me about tek boots and how good they are, I just pump my hp past 450 and achieve the same effect.

7 minutes ago, Palenor said:

LOL, that's good and all, but how do you manage moving one stack of Ore at a time?

Thats the tek legs, which I will admit is a nice feature.

As for your double post below, yes lasers are fun. But here are the problems:

1) Tek saddle has a very poor 45 armor rating. Let me just find an apprentice saddle in a red airdrop and skip all this.

2) If you have a tek rex, you might as well charge at the enemy and bite it, youll do more dps.

3) Tek rifle- Its cool. I get it. Now why does it have the scope of a sniper rifle, but the recoil of an artillery piece and the travel time of a rowboat crossing the atlantic? Ok, close the gap to fight then. Oh wait, it does damage to you as well because the shots are explosive. That all said, you could use it for medium range- but rememeber, don't hit a rock or a tree, because somehow each shot that hits a resource node does 5% durability to your rifle.

Basically, yes they are obtainable. The only use for tek weapons is to pound a metal base. You will never kill someone with a tek rifle, and if you do then you would have done it much faster with anything else- For example, the weapon you brought into the bossfight that got you the tekgrams to begin with.

Things I agree on/notes:

1) The most egregious problem right now are the saddles.    These are supposed to be the end-all, be all saddle scenario, but they're just a bad joke

1. None of them have appropriate Armor.    At least 100 to make them competitive with Ascendant
  2. Mosa needs to be Platform, and both it and the Megalodon need to make the dino immune to stuns/jellyfish or there's no point anyway.
  3. Saddles need more functionality than "Firin mah lazor!".    Make it a Tapejera speed increase with booster rockets.    Give the rex some health regen (out of combat maybe for balance).    Etc etc

2) The Tek Generator needs to be suppliable with an alternate fuel or the fuel needs to last longer.    This is actually aimed more at the Vacuum compartments than anything, since the rest of it can be turned on, used, and turned off via the generator without a problem and doesn't need the massive radius that they need.    Alternatively, make the Vacuum Compartments not need a generator to run, since they're already a massive expense.    Right now it's beyond ridiculous to use these on official settings.

3) Tek needs to provide some radiation coverage, it's even in the lore!    The suit is obvious, not being able to use the suit in radioactive areas just feels like a massive oversight.     Moreover I'd argue for making the Vacuum Compartments ALSO protect against radiation, so building in the Rad zone would be a doable, if prohibitively expensive proposition.

4) Various Tek Weapons need a lot of love, in terms of Fuel Efficiency versus how useful they are, there's a monstrous gap.

11 minutes ago, Migol said:

Things I agree on/notes:

1) The most egregious problem right now are the saddles.    These are supposed to be the end-all, be all saddle scenario, but they're just a bad joke

1. None of them have appropriate Armor.    At least 100 to make them competitive with Ascendant
  2. Mosa needs to be Platform, and both it and the Megalodon need to make the dino immune to stuns/jellyfish or there's no point anyway.
  3. Saddles need more functionality than "Firin mah lazor!".    Make it a Tapejera speed increase with booster rockets.    Give the rex some health regen (out of combat maybe for balance).    Etc etc

2) The Tek Generator needs to be suppliable with an alternate fuel or the fuel needs to last longer.    This is actually aimed more at the Vacuum compartments than anything, since the rest of it can be turned on, used, and turned off via the generator without a problem and doesn't need the massive radius that they need.    Alternatively, make the Vacuum Compartments not need a generator to run, since they're already a massive expense.    Right now it's beyond ridiculous to use these on official settings.

3) Tek needs to provide some radiation coverage, it's even in the lore!    The suit is obvious, not being able to use the suit in radioactive areas just feels like a massive oversight.     Moreover I'd argue for making the Vacuum Compartments ALSO protect against radiation, so building in the Rad zone would be a doable, if prohibitively expensive proposition.

4) Various Tek Weapons need a lot of love, in terms of Fuel Efficiency versus how useful they are, there's a monstrous gap.

They could also circumvent the vacuum compartment issue by making them act as power conduits. So you would have a minimum range generator powering the whole thing.

3 hours ago, Palenor said:

How much element do you go through on average and how many boss runs does that equate to every day?   It's not about getting to tek. It's about sustaining it. 

I have Tek structures, engrams, etc.  I don't have the time to raise 450+ rexes or Theriz + sweet cakes and still actually play the game.  So I don't use tek generators or anything that requires a steady supply of element. 

15 hours ago, Kayin said:

How much element do you go through on average and how many boss runs does that equate to every day?   It's not about getting to tek. It's about sustaining it. 

I have Tek structures, engrams, etc.  I don't have the time to raise 450+ rexes or Theriz + sweet cakes and still actually play the game.  So I don't use tek generators or anything that requires a steady supply of element. 

We usually have around 100-200 element on hand on our Island map and on Aberration about another 100 or so.

We try to run at least one boss fight every other day now, used to be 2-3 a night. Usually just Alpha Broodmother, 15-20 minutes, in and out, 74 Element. That includes walking our crew to RED Ob and back out again.

TEK Gens use minimal amounts of the element on the lowest setting, we have all of our TEK troughs on the Island (36 or so) on one generator on the lowest setting and have plans on adding another 20 or so it, on the same setting. 10 Element will last an entire week. Our TEK Troughs are on whenever we are doing a raise. Not everyweek do we do raises, But when we do it will include everything we need, Rex's, Giga's, Quetzals, Ankys, Doeds Etc. So it can run for close to 2 weeks.

Was not always this way, but every time we raise a new set of rexes, the number increase. RIght now we can/will pop 200 eggs for the next raise.Of those, most likely will keep around half of them. 

Our raises used to be much smaller, a dozen or so Rex's at a time along with other dinos.

On 3/29/2018 at 1:27 PM, DeningWei said:

That's making things a little too easy, boss farming isn't hard and you don't need to do it much unless you want to build a tek base.  With just the two of us in our tribe we've built  everything including a tek base with some ape grinding.  Put a bounty on sails and noobs will collect them for you.

We like doing boss fights, but being forced to do them multiple times per week on multiple servers just for fuel/ammo/crafting resources turned something fun into something repetitive and makes it a chore. were a small group that currently plays on 3 servers, with multiple bases per server, and everyone needs element on them all.

Likewise i used to enjoy doing the caves on theisland every now and then, but now they feel like another chore.

Even with 5x element from the bosses, it's still not enough. were always running short on element.

1 hour ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

We like doing boss fights, but being forced to do them multiple times per week on multiple servers just for fuel/ammo/crafting resources turned something fun into something repetitive and makes it a chore. were a small group that currently plays on 3 servers, with multiple bases per server, and everyone needs element on them all.

Likewise i used to enjoy doing the caves on theisland every now and then, but now they feel like another chore.

Even with 5x element from the bosses, it's still not enough. were always running short on element.

Maybe there should be a way to obtain element on island, rag and center besides bosses. Ive always been keen to being able to farm small amounts of element shards say.. deep in caves or a few nodes outside tek cave. Maybe you need to beat overseer to be able to "know" how to harvest them and need tek gloves or something..

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 1:30 PM, Migol said:

Things I agree on/notes:

I like all of these ideas. There should be a huge boost to dino mobility and functuality with a tek saddle. Sure, lasers are nice and all but the tek tapa would be sweet! Rocket thrusters and maybe some sort of grapple or taser to immobilize

27 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Maybe there should be a way to obtain element on island, rag and center besides bosses. Ive always been keen to being able to farm small amounts of element shards say.. deep in caves or a few nodes outside tek cave. Maybe you need to beat overseer to be able to "know" how to harvest them and need tek gloves or something..

I like all of these ideas. There should be a huge boost to dino mobility and functuality with a tek saddle. Sure, lasers are nice and all but the tek tapa would be sweet! Rocket thrusters and maybe some sort of grapple or taser to immobilize

I personally think that there should be a way of converting all these alpha dino trophies/artifacts that are just collecting dust into element via a replicator or some tek structure possibly obtainable from ascension. 

Its no less realistic than bosses just "holding" loads of element.

On 29.03.2018 at 11:30 PM, Migol said:

Things I agree on/notes:

what is the right word . +++

2 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

I personally think that there should be a way of converting all these alpha dino trophies/artifacts that are just collecting dust into element via a replicator or some tek structure possibly obtainable from ascension. 

Its no less realistic than bosses just "holding" loads of element.

Thats a great idea! I played a private server that did that (manually) but also for dino colourings, non island stuff (se at the time) etc. I had a lot of fun hunting alphas, it would have to be gated behind bosses or ascention because often ill take out upwards of 50-100 alphas before reaching the stage of being able to tackle bosses. Wouldnt want beach bobs with element, (or would you?!)

35 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Thats a great idea! I played a private server that did that (manually) but also for dino colourings, non island stuff (se at the time) etc. I had a lot of fun hunting alphas, it would have to be gated behind bosses or ascention because often ill take out upwards of 50-100 alphas before reaching the stage of being able to tackle bosses. Wouldnt want beach bobs with element, (or would you?!)

I think we all agree element should be hard to come by, and require you to actually need it for tek before being able to acquire or even use it.   Some of the element crafting mods out there get close. 

- Formula for crafting element is expensive.
- Requires some trophies, like some alpha wyvern + alpha rex heads. 
- Requires a high level.
- Requires possibly ascending before using, or at least beating all alpha bosses or something

Alternatively,  make the f'king Tek Generator burn gasoline for reduced efficiency.  Then we might actually be able to use tek underwater bases and tek troughs more appropriately.  I've always loved the sea and wanted to live there. It kills me that those engrams are a complete waste. It's just a huge tease. 

12 hours ago, Kayin said:

I think we all agree element should be hard to come by, and require you to actually need it for tek before being able to acquire or even use it.   Some of the element crafting mods out there get close. 

- Formula for crafting element is expensive.
- Requires some trophies, like some alpha wyvern + alpha rex heads. 
- Requires a high level.
- Requires possibly ascending before using, or at least beating all alpha bosses or something

Alternatively,  make the f'king Tek Generator burn gasoline for reduced efficiency.  Then we might actually be able to use tek underwater bases and tek troughs more appropriately.  I've always loved the sea and wanted to live there. It kills me that those engrams are a complete waste. It's just a huge tease. 

Would be cool if you could throw an artifact in the tek generator to power it!

On 29/03/2018 at 6:38 PM, Kayin said:

10 people isn't 'alpha mega tribe'. That's a medium sized regular tribe.

'Mega' tribe is when you have 30 daily active players. 

People still farm a thousand  element per day, in pairs. It's easy to do and doesn't really require more than some decent rexes. They don't even have to be 60 pt monstrosities, good 45 pt imprints suffice.

On 29/03/2018 at 6:38 PM, Kayin said:

Just something to remove the boss grind. 

For raptor's sake you remove boss grind and replace it with element station grind.

It's not really an improvement. 

i grind bosses regulary for my weekly use and it really is boring. Especially when you need to get sails on island. Some ideas i had:

-unlock Tek element harvester from Tek cave which allows to farm shards by harvesting alphas with it.

-some sort of weekly challenges that are defined by the players progress. Lower lvl tribes earn basic resources while end game tribe get element.

-alternate fuel for generator which is crafted with black pearls and other higher tier resources.

with just one of these alternate ways to maintain Tek, it would take away the speed artifact runs, boring tribute farming and the brainless "attack target" boss fight.

Archived