Official PVP is Trash

TGLoneWolf

On 4/10/2018 at 1:21 PM, covenantgrunt said:

I was in a server controlled by a mega tribe. We had a list of tribes and peoples allowed to play there. Anyone not on the list would get wiped. It was explcitly made clear to all newcomers that the server is not open to new players.  

We wiped all the beach Bob's because even though they are not threats, weakly defended bases are highly attractive to cross server raiders and make server unsafe for everyone. 

Plus you can't know for sure if they really are Bob's. A thatch hut can be a disguised FOB in making.

we  got 50 metal  gates and frames from a  thatch hut that claimed they was a beach bob  so sadly we have to  wipe everyone that we don't know

On 11/04/2018 at 8:42 PM, TGLoneWolf said:

That's a map I haven't played much of... If my saltiness subsides and I regain some interest it .ay be a possibility. thanks

Aberration is best for small players who know what they're doing. There's so many nooks and crannies. 

Step 1) learn how to play, high rates servers are best for that 

Step 2) try to make friendly with a reasonable alpha, or, be so persistent at re-building every time they wipe you that they stop doing that and just let you live because it's less work. 

Not sure why no one has mentioned this already but the Apocalypse cluster is a bit easier to play on if you're going solo or are part of a small tribe, sure you lose your progress each month but it's full of action and excitement even though it tends to dull down near the end.

I think not many people think about the diplomacy side of things either, sure it's a PVP game and you kill people but you can choose to be strategic about that or not... If you go out blindly murdering everything in your path then you're likely going to have a hard time in ARK when you're playing with such a small group of real people, you could try maybe to join a new server and try to make some friends or join an alliance where you would be able to grow your situation a bit more... I know quite a few large tribes who offer sanctuary to decent solo players in return for some help and assistance now and then.

But yeah idk if you're a person with other commitments in life and don't have the time that is required to build, maintain and defend a base properly then you're going to have a hard time trying to do so and end up with the kind of experiences that you have playing solo on official clusters.

I live in a few 1x1s, keep only really 1 ptera at a time and that is solo life as I have not got the time it takes to build up and maintain or defend a real base. Or I play on Apocalypse and try to build up because everyone gets wiped anyways so theres no harm in trying to build a base and seeing how well it can hold out. On unofficial I play with some friends and have a bigger base with more dinos and other stuff. This is ARK?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2018 at 2:11 AM, Avalancheheavy said:

Its really not hard to find  a backwater quiet server and lvl/build in secret until you can get a start.

Even if you build up, you're only making it easier for the alpha tribe to simply check you back into the stoneage, the games official PVP scene is pretty rubbish in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:58 AM, TGLoneWolf said:

Playing official pvp for months now, can't make any progress, wipe after wipe after wipe. This game is trash. 

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, Strop said:

Or there is PVE

Thats the problem, its not that we mind the wipes. It is that we mind the harassment that PvP invites. In several reviews we have read that the way that things are setup invites an extremely toxic community of players. We have the North American Server which invites 3 different languages on its own. Thats a language barrier. If you log into a server and you do not know the language that the mass-majority of players are speaking in, then every time you talk, you are something that is not like the other. Thats the bottom coefficient behind racism. Indifference.

In addition to the language barriers that challenge the servers their are tribes that have reached alpha-status on PvP and they have completed all of the game-objectives within the game itself, yet they all still linger around and become alpha-trolls. After the final assentation their one and only purpose can be one of two things: trolling via the PvP mechanics or mentorship in the game. They can play both.

This makes that entire game-mode prime for harassment. People aren't working on game objectives. People aren't working together to slaughter the people who do not care about the game objectives, and people who have already completed the game objectives linger around.

If a single tribe has no objectivism in ark then the whole-game is ruined in PvP. Why? It invites harassment.

Ark Ruins PvP compared to what that experience can be. This isn't "PvE's" fault and we should not be forced to play PvE just because of Alpha Trolls on the servers.

It's all a state of mind.  You have to grind... gather, tame, breed, and above all else, SEARCH FOR BP'S. Yeah, it takes time, but if you work at it, anyone can become a powerful tribe. Plus, if you prove yourself a worthy opponent, you can even ally with a mega, or merge with one.

The only thing I will say is don't try to do this on abberation. Abberation is a great map, but it's only best for certain tames, ie Reapers, basilisks, and resources. Unless you start out on some other server like Rag or Center, DON'T START ON ABBERATION.

Because this is a critical post about PvP:

I started PvP and I had to quit playing PvP because my family plays this game. Whenever we were playing PvP I would wake up every morning to my wife complaining about the issues that were going on in the tribe. I would walk to the computer not even dressed to hear the other-side of the verbal altercation. Finally (not even eating breakfast yet) I got the story. Would start getting dressed, and then got online to work on the issues. By the end of the night everything would be fixed just to repeat the same thing the following morning. The problem with PvP and Family is that in-game issues become real-life issues. This account can never play PvP again because of that. The entire family is back on the PvE servers.

Its sad because I enjoyed PvP for the first 2 weeks. We made alpha-status fast and got recruited by the pre-existing alpha tribe. The server was really growing. I had developed a Microsoft Access database and a Manual Input Program in order to calculate and track the progression of not only me and my tribe but of the other tribes that were on the server. We had line-graphs for each and every tribe that we played with. We analyzed to create a deviation of performing players. We erased everyone nightly. We recruited those that were in the 90th percentile of that deviation immediately after wiping the server. The tribes potential sky-rocketed. Players that didn't have a since of purpose, could not survive. Players that had a since of purpose were alpha. Players who had-no purpose were considered untrustworthy. We believed that a since of purpose is the single measurable factor behind character. Our players moved with a since of purpose.

We MOTIVATED players to build-up nicely and if they could not be encouraged to build up then we ERASED them completely and regularly. We rinsed, we repeated. We were one-tough tribe thanks to performance tracking. We refused to help people. We believed that people on PvP need to be independent, self-sufficient, and strong; if they weren't we preferred that they got there. If they chose to get-lost instead than we settled with that decision.

I wish I could have kept it going, as I said though: My family plays this game. Whenever family plays, in-game issues become real-life issues. PvP is actually AMAZING. However; I would-never ever suggest playing PvP "casually". Its such a strategy game with player politics.

Archived