Official PVP is Trash

TGLoneWolf

I hope I am not being rude but you need to get good.  

I am a scrub that started 3 months ago. I got to point where I had a huge rag base with several wyverns, golems and a giga. I been wiped many times coming to this point. It can be done by anyone who is determined enough. Like I said I am a scrub and had no prior experience with MMOs, clans or survival games before buying Ark on a whim for Christmas.

Its about what you want. If you wanna grief people its super easy, all you need is a good 2x1, or 3x3 design and learn to hide and make multiple bases. You can wipe anyone without good turret setup, which is like 97% of players. By and large the average Ark player is very bad and stupid. Majority build bases you can take down alone or in small groups with good flak, beer and high movement speed.

If you want to build up and have nice base with dinos again its easy. It's all about politics and connections. You need to be friendly with the alpha of your server before you invest time and effort in building large scale there. If you want really good stuff, try to become affiliated with a mega, become a beta tribe in their vast alliance system. Once you know the right people having yuge bases and loads of dinos is easy.

What people don't get is that diplomacy and politics is huge part of the game. They just focus on base building and farming, and predictably suffer consequences in a game that is very social and politically driven.

I've done pve, where every one claims the entire map with pillars....and why? What sense does it make? Why do the devs allow it? I've been playing almost a year and it's just ridiculous the insignificant things the dev focus on. For instance let's create a whole bunch of new content before fixing the bugs/ glitches. It feels like they are lazy tbh. I can't seem to join anyone or get into any tribes on PvP, we have 5 active members. Everyone is already established and they are so afraid of people making progress they needlessly wipe them. It's irrational and I don't have time for it. The game is ridiculously unbalanced and I don't think they really care. All for a dollar.but thank you for your kinds words of advice at any rate. Pubg ftw.

I've played ark for almost 3 years now, first on single play, then with my family on my own server and recently (like 3 weeks) on an official PVP server. Yes official can be hard. I started with a bob on 4 different servers before I found one that ain't so toxic and I could go forward. I'm playing on my own, not in a tribe and not allied to anyone - and I am making progress. Again yes I got messed up in the first  bit, but generally  the people were not viscous about raiding. Some walls blown up and whatever loose kit laying was nicked. Dinos were not much messed with so long as they were on passive. I at first left my tames on neutral to discourage raiding (while I was off line). That plan may have been too successful! I saw some entries in my tribe log "your xxx killed level 256 Argentavis," and then all hell came down on my base with mostly everything wasted. 

My opinion; there is no damn point in a Alpha / Mega tribe coming to raid an out of the way minor tribe. They ain't going to get anything worth their while out of it, and are certainly not threatened by a single bob in the bush with a few lowish level dinos, so the issue is either with the other random bobs that want to come pinch whatever is available, or with toxic idiots that come C4 a base to bits to get hold of the 23 metal ingots left in the forge. If the latter your only answer is to move servers, if the former, well it is PVP

Regarding PVE, I agree that lot is rubbish and foolish - pillar plant the whole map. Why do this?

I guess it depends a lot on what server (and the community on that server) you end up on .......

4 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

I've played ark for almost 3 years now, first on single play, then with my family on my own server and recently (like 3 weeks) on an official PVP server. Yes official can be hard. I started with a bob on 4 different servers before I found one that ain't so toxic and I could go forward. I'm playing on my own, not in a tribe and not allied to anyone - and I am making progress. Again yes I got messed up in the first  bit, but generally  the people were not viscous about raiding. Some walls blown up and whatever loose kit laying was nicked. Dinos were not much messed with so long as they were on passive. I at first left my tames on neutral to discourage raiding (while I was off line). That plan may have been too successful! I saw some entries in my tribe log "your xxx killed level 256 Argentavis," and then all hell came down on my base with mostly everything wasted. 

My opinion; there is no damn point in a Alpha / Mega tribe coming to raid an out of the way minor tribe. They ain't going to get anything worth their while out of it, and are certainly not threatened by a single bob in the bush with a few lowish level dinos, so the issue is either with the other random bobs that want to come pinch whatever is available, or with toxic idiots that come C4 a base to bits to get hold of the 23 metal ingots left in the forge. If the latter your only answer is to move servers, if the former, well it is PVP

Regarding PVE, I agree that lot is rubbish and foolish - pillar plant the whole map. Why do this?

I guess it depends a lot on what server (and the community on that server) you end up on .......

I was in a server controlled by a mega tribe. We had a list of tribes and peoples allowed to play there. Anyone not on the list would get wiped. It was explcitly made clear to all newcomers that the server is not open to new players.  

We wiped all the beach Bob's because even though they are not threats, weakly defended bases are highly attractive to cross server raiders and make server unsafe for everyone. 

Plus you can't know for sure if they really are Bob's. A thatch hut can be a disguised FOB in making.

Mmmmm, different strokes for different folks. This is talking about making an entire server your base so to speak. I assume the fun of the game then comes from cross ark raiding of other servers? Otherwise where is the enjoyment.  Still seems kinda like pillar planting in PVE to me.

I take the point of a FOB in the making, but I don't get the highly attractive to raiders. The same economics apply - burn all the resources required to get to the server and blow open a stone bush bob and get 23 metal ingots for your efforts ....

I guess its a matter of perspective and what different enjoyments people get out of the game .

Pillar planting in pve is ruthless and irrational and the devs do nothing. So irritating. You can't even put down a campfire. Dumb. 

This thread is however opening my eyes to the reasons the alphas wipe newcomers.  I don't have that many tribe members that can hold interest in this game long enough to even create/manage alliances. 6 hours to tame a 150 doed without kibble? Really? When it's a beginner dino? It's insanity. 

The gameplay is too demanding and extremely draining. Salty? You bet your ass. I've spent a lot of time playing this steaming pile of grindage to be awarded nothing. Tribes are cool sure, but what about a server cluster with Max tribemember limit and increased harvesting/ maturation? Idk guess I'll have to start my own unofficial bc we all know the devs are too lazy/ rich to care.

As above - from brief sojourn (like 4 hours) I spent my time walking and respawning at and around all the spawn points on The Island trying to find somewhere to build. And all I found was LOTS of pillars stuck in the ground, often with no real base anywhere near them. Gave up for PVP cause there at least I could take a pickax to those pillars and clear me a place to build ... on otherwise empty landscape!

On 3/29/2018 at 10:58 AM, TGLoneWolf said:

Playing official pvp for months now, can't make any progress, wipe after wipe after wipe. This game is trash. 

i say  play  unofficial  for  players  who isn't ready to lose everything everyday  by  a alpha or a  bully as we don't  run  into pvp mostly because megas are feared by single  alphas because they can't win against people who have grind and breeding power  

Archived