What is/are the best dino(s) for beginners?

XGeneralScrubX

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, ClanTKC said:

Giga. They are a passive tame so just sneak up behind one with plenty of Tinto berries.

I'm only kidding, don't do that, get a Parasaur.

No no! You're right! Go to a Giga(notosaurus) and feed it some berries. If it doesn't want to eat, just punch it. It's a known bug.^^

20 hours ago, mobius999 said:

Raptor?  Really?  They can't carry poop.  One of the most important reasons to have a dino early is as a pack mule.  You don't want to be running back and forth with 1 stack of stone at a time, it'll drive you mad.    Also low level raptor is pretty weak against anything but other small dinos.

Trike is the way to go.  Trikes are tough, have decent XP even at low level, do decent damage, can carry much more than a raptor, can gather berries for food, taming and narco as well as wood and thatch for building.

No contest.  Trike is the best low level dino tame for a low level newbie.

That’s...why I added that they’re not good in terms of weight, and suggested a parasaur as a replacement. Trikes are great but very time consuming if you don’t have the kibble. Comparing the tame times between a 150 trike (over 3 hours with mejo with no other variable to make it faster other than kibble) versus a 150 raptor (almost an hour and a half, and even then, you could harvest prime meat along the way to cut that time down), it’s a faster choice to make. High level raptors in a pack can be a formidable force as well.

But that’s my opinion based on past experiences. 9_9

How about tame a pack of high level raptors to protect your three-hour tame? ?

PvE: Don't tame anything when you start except maybe one dodo to store food. Spend your time gathering materials by hand and either scouting for a base location or saving up to buy a dino from another player. If you start taming right away you'll find that most of your focus is spent making sure it's safe. You can handle just about any starting area threat with a bola and spear, or worst case scenario by leading it into a bronto. If you insist on having something else, one trike would be fine for hauling goods. In my opinion your main goal should be to set up a decent base and start farming so you don't even need to go gather berries or crops.

Argies are pretty cheap to buy from players and have fantastic utility. They can carry tons of weight and can kill almost any predator assuming it's high enough level. Use this to transport your goods to your new base location and gather more materials far more easily. From here you buy some basic gathering dinos, like an anky, doed, and beaver or thorny dragon.

Now assuming you don't buy anything from other players I'd still just recommend gathering materials to build a base. Once you're sitting comfortably start taming low level dilos for kibble. With this you can tame an anky and doed to gather resources. Use a raft as an early mobile base to find resources. You could potentially build some traps with these resources to tame much higher level dinos.

2 hours ago, covenantgrunt said:

Surprised no one mentioned the Iguanodon. It is fast, has unlimited stamina, can farm wood, thatch, fiber and berries, and can turn berries into seeds. It's everything need to make your starter base, and get supplies for better tames.

i was just fixing to mention those they are all around good and they can swim fast for maps like the center but you need a few levels to get them. I usually get those and bypass trike. for my fresh off the beach bird i usually tame a ichthyornis because they are mean, and they can get me prime meats early on, also they ride on your shoulder and can usually kill other ichthyornis.

Dont waste time on a Raptor. As for Killing get your meat ect with a spear. Gets your lvl up and you'll still get what you need. Killing Dodos for a good half hour is always a good start for meat. Cook half let half spoil. Also Start on an Island Map and YouTube Island note run. You'll get to a higher level faster which in result will help you start up quicker. 

For Berries. Definitely go with a Trike it will get you berries and can be a tad of a tank so has a better chance of killing off other dinos that might attack. My personal Favorite for berries is a Stego. Get the HP to about 5k Stam to 900-1k the rest movement speed  and in a proper area you can get 400+ Narco Berries in 1 tail swing. My starter stego has about 271 speed. 6k hp and 200 melee. This guy was also tamed at lvl 130ish. But They are easy to tame as long as you Gather the Narcotics before hand. 

Hope This Helps :) 

parasaurs are the ideal beginner dino good carry weight sonar that acts as an early warning system so you can avoid predators or see if theyre getting close to your base and a roar you can activate every ten minutes that allows you to scare off anything up to the size of a raptor for a short while giving you ample time to escape and they can gather berries. and in a pinch they can take on a low level raptor i think there base damage might have been buffed slightly

It really depends on how you want to play. I like using all kinds of dinos, even ones people think suck or are a waste of time. Sometimes what you find the most fun isn't the most efficient. I normally get a parasaur, they are easy to find and have a low level saddle and a couple of dilos to follow as guard dogs. I do try to get a trike and ptera as soon as possible then a raptor or carno. Dodos are easy and their eggs are useful. Turtles are slow but strong. If you find a horse they are worth the time to tame, very good at knocking dinos out.

On 3/27/2018 at 8:28 AM, DarkEliteH2 said:

That’s...why I added that they’re not good in terms of weight, and suggested a parasaur as a replacement. Trikes are great but very time consuming if you don’t have the kibble. Comparing the tame times between a 150 trike (over 3 hours with mejo with no other variable to make it faster other than kibble) versus a 150 raptor (almost an hour and a half, and even then, you could harvest prime meat along the way to cut that time down), it’s a faster choice to make. High level raptors in a pack can be a formidable force as well.

But that’s my opinion based on past experiences. 9_9

How about tame a pack of high level raptors to protect your three-hour tame? ?

Well since the title was "best dino for beginners" I wasn't thinking of a level 150 anything tame.  Imo a beginner is someone running around their tame feeding it narco berries as they gather them because they just started and have no way to get tons of berries, let alone having a built up supply of narco.  No one in their right mind would try a 150 that way.

Whenever I start fresh I hunt down a lvl 5-15 trike to start.  I'll usually grab 2 and put them on neutral.  They level up fast, even a lvl 10 trike can stand up to most stuff you find in easy spawn areas (with your help) and you've got a couple great pack mules.

Again I'm thinking beginner.  Before you even have access to saddles to think about what you want to ride.

I would recommend follow these steps:

1. Protector: Use slingshot and tame couple of Dilophosaurus. It is easiest carnivore and gives a good protection against surrounding threats. Increase health and melee.

2. Workhorse: Trike indeed (saddle from level 16). It can harvest, it can carry your stuff and it is good protector too (after TLC2 even better than ever). Increase mainly weight and little bit healt and melee.

3. Scout: It can be Parasaur (L9) or Raptor (L18) or Equus (L20) or Iguanodon (L30). Increase speed and stamina.

As always in ARK you have to take an opportunity - for example if you find stucked trike start with him and skip previous step. :-)

7 hours ago, seikatsukira said:

I was going to say horses, because they are super easy and useful. But then I noticed you said the island, so I'm not sure. If you were on Ragnarok you could spawn in the highlands pick some carrots and tame a horse.

A noob in the Highlands sounds bad.  Betweeh allos, gigas and the fact as soon as the sunsets youll start freezing to death and at midnight not even a campfire will take the hypothermia away, it sounds like a bad idea for a completely new beginner.

This is so gross.. the lists of terrible advice that people give.. bruh.. if your actually USING "starter Dino's" your doing it wrong.. it is simply too easy to level up and unlock saddles for late game creatures.. this is 2018.. there are at least 3 ways to get to level 50 solo in a couple hours. And honestly.. I wouldn't even recommend getting an ACTUAL tame till you get there.. dodos? Sure.. dilos? Sure.. but these come after crops mate.. that being said.. if you want to rush into taming.. follow the steps below. 

1. Spawn on island.. get explore notes till at least level 20. 

2. Transfer to Ragnarok and spawn in NE highlands

3. Pick carrots and tame highest equus you find.. then you can tame 99% of starter tames.. 

4. Rage quit because your tames die because your a noob that's taming starter tames when you can hit lvp 70 in 3 hours easily.

3 hours ago, Jlmaples said:

This is so gross.. the lists of terrible advice that people give.. bruh.. if your actually USING "starter Dino's" your doing it wrong.. it is simply too easy to level up and unlock saddles for late game creatures.. this is 2018.. there are at least 3 ways to get to level 50 solo in a couple hours. And honestly.. I wouldn't even recommend getting an ACTUAL tame till you get there.. dodos? Sure.. dilos? Sure.. but these come after crops mate.. that being said.. if you want to rush into taming.. follow the steps below. 

1. Spawn on island.. get explore notes till at least level 20. 

2. Transfer to Ragnarok and spawn in NE highlands

3. Pick carrots and tame highest equus you find.. then you can tame 99% of starter tames.. 

4. Rage quit because your tames die because your a noob that's taming starter tames when you can hit lvp 70 in 3 hours easily.

Yes and while doing these runs you are ill equipped, so you die a lot.  The other option is you build a house and a forge and a smith and do resource runs which these other low tier dinos help with.  You do all this prep without tames just so uou can prep your level just so you can start actually playing your way, but the prep for the prep is playing, so your advice just went full circle.   Id like to see a lvl 10 running around in the jungle getting jumped by raptor packs and carnos looking for lil chests.  The dino beat downs would cause a noob to quit.

Um.. you realize a raptor is common spawn in easy zones? Dying till you get speed (145 is enough to outrun raptors now) is all part of it. But like I said.. I don't recommend getting tames till you can get the levels. Because they will just die. Takes 10 seconds to respawn.. takes half hour to tame a new dino depending on the dino. So no.. I don't recommend getting tames till your equiped to defend them.. thats counting levels.. levels is the most important thing early on.. 

1 hour ago, Jlmaples said:

Um.. you realize a raptor is common spawn in easy zones? Dying till you get speed (145 is enough to outrun raptors now) is all part of it. But like I said.. I don't recommend getting tames till you can get the levels. Because they will just die. Takes 10 seconds to respawn.. takes half hour to tame a new dino depending on the dino. So no.. I don't recommend getting tames till your equiped to defend them.. thats counting levels.. levels is the most important thing early on.. 

Equipped to defend them?  Ok you gonna sword or pike that carno?  No wait your doing metal runs for flak armor, a shotgun, and ammo.  Even with that the theriz or carno still prob eat you alive.  No wait your cave divind with a crossbow for chitin.  Either idea sounds like a noob mistake.  I personally find speed to be as worthless as food, oxygen, and water.  Im on the back of a tame 99% of the time from the time i can ride a raptor.  Nothing in the easy zone can outrun 1.  Your 1st play should  be fun and getting the awe factor, doing a calculated note run is boring as heck and would kill the noob nostalgia.  The south coast doesnt spawn raptors usually and the lil island in south2 is an amazing beginner spot to setup.  Its very safe.  I do tend to build a thatch then wood house til i get my tranq arrows.  But waiting more sounds like wasted prep, your gonna need an ank or doed to make use of the higher stuff.  If your harvesting a metal node with a pick then your more noob then the OP LOL

Archived