What is/are the best dino(s) for beginners?

XGeneralScrubX

I use a mantis because I'm a solo player that focuses on leveling (not note running, but combining notes with alpha raptor kills then scorched for deathworm hunting) and raptor? LOL... At least go with wolf m8.. raptors were only ever a thing in 2016. It's 2018.. on top of that.. speed is a mandatory stat for PvP.. unless you are fighting beach scrubs.. don't worry.. most people are like you. Pro tip.. your harder to hit if your not on a dino.. you are more un predictable (dino turn radius ECT makes kiting you easy) and when I force you off your tame you will be my woman because you never learned basic PvP combat <3 but thanks to people like you I haven't crafted my own saddle is ages.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

If your harvesting a metal node with a pick then your more noob then the OP LOL

Indeed. I do use a pick. One of many ascendants that I got from focusing levels.. with a mantis I got the deathworm horns to tame through.. you guessed it.. focusing levels... If you honestly think there is something nooby about a max damage mantis with an ascendant pick farming metal.. read a book m8.

4 hours ago, Jlmaples said:

Indeed. I do use a pick. One of many ascendants that I got from focusing levels.. with a mantis I got the deathworm horns to tame through.. you guessed it.. focusing levels... If you honestly think there is something nooby about a max damage mantis with an ascendant pick farming metal.. read a book m8.

I meant by hand, but you would of needed to farm a lot of metal to get thay quality of pick, or killed an alpha and got really lucky or got stupid lucky with a drop.  Quality of ease from earlier tames is nice.  Being able to get around easy without wasting a lot of levels in speed is nice.  Not having to worry about early storage because you have a trike is nice.  Btw im assuming your 1st lvl 50 saddle tame needs narcos, so your gathering by hand to craft these(noob like)?  The way you stroll in here and say basically all the info here from everyone else is bad is kind of a D head thing to do, especially when the info in here is actually rather useful to a noob.  You giving veteran level tacts is bad advice.  The play style you are suggesting to a complete noob would be rather hard to pull off without experience in the game.  We are dealing with a newcomer, baby steps.

On 3/27/2018 at 4:17 PM, Lonelly said:

Getting lucky? You realize how easy it is to find and kill alpha raptors? Didn't realize it took an ark vet to be able to YouTube how to get an alpha raptor stuck on a corpse.. and no man.. alpha raptors drop great tools and cbows.. the more you kill the higher your odds of getting good tools and crossbow.. as well as hide capable of keeping you warm in the snow without needing fur. And speed is not a waste.. even combat on Dino's comes down to getting the take bolad or being whiped off if you come across anybody that actually knows how to PvP.. at which point speed is the most useful stat. Your recommending for him to do things like he is in a big tribe. Which.. he never said he was. And FYI. Alpha raptors spawn in easy zones too. There are too many different ways to get wiped by players or wild Dino's to use taming effectively early on. Take it from someone who has created more characters than I can count (played hardcore solo for 50% of my time on ARK) taming is a waste of time till you can atleast get metal tier. Expecially considering it takes 1 alpha raptor to get you to it with a note durring evolution event... Levels determine your overall survivability.. let's not forget that (if not using speed strat) lvl 11 can double your health or lvl 31 can allow you to straight up outrun everything except allos and alphas.. and let's not forget fliers are still the most used travel tame.. you need levels for the saddles. Focusing your first few days on leveling up ensures that your progress won't be wiped by that 5 man tribe while your offline. You get a few tools and stash em in the oblisk and your level 70 instead of being level 30 with a tribe log of dead Dino's and a few raided storage boxes. 

PS.. you need like 2 tranqs to ko a 150 ptera with a decent crossbow. Which is 10 narco berries. Bio toxin is easy to get. If your still farming for narcotics your either saving for a big tame or playing the game like it's 2016.

Neroku did a test for loot on alpha raptor, carno and rex a few weeks back and put it on YouTube. 5 aloha raptor kills gave him a MasterCraft item 2 jman crossbows and a jman tool.. that's not counting the other stuff. And like I said.. alpha raptors are easy. They literally stand there letting you shoot them in the face. In a 4 hour time period I killed 7 alpha raptors starting from scratch lvl 1 and starting to kill them after just 5 explorer notes. I was level 78 at the end of the 4 hour mark (official PvP server, not Extinction or hardcore) it was durring evolution event though

On 2. 4. 2018 at 6:20 PM, Jlmaples said:

Neroku did a test for loot on alpha raptor, carno and rex a few weeks back and put it on YouTube. 5 aloha raptor kills gave him a MasterCraft item 2 jman crossbows and a jman tool.. that's not counting the other stuff. And like I said.. alpha raptors are easy. They literally stand there letting you shoot them in the face. In a 4 hour time period I killed 7 alpha raptors starting from scratch lvl 1 and starting to kill them after just 5 explorer notes. I was level 78 at the end of the 4 hour mark (official PvP server, not Extinction or hardcore) it was durring evolution event though

Do you really recommend beginners to start by killing alpha animals? You are crazy, sir!

Beginner needs to learn how to play and it needs time. Your shortcuts may work for PVP experts but 1) OP never mentioned he plays PVP (the form of his post suggest he plays PVE) and 2) what fun is skipping basics when you just starts...

imo, the first thing is to get familiar of the map/zones which you may die many times until to find good spot to build a starter base. If you tame dino too early it's likely to be your burden than your tool which is likely to die in short time any way. Upgrade your base until you got some level. Then, your first dino should be an Argentavis.

9 hours ago, Graviphoton said:

Do you really recommend beginners to start by killing alpha animals? You are crazy, sir!

Beginner needs to learn how to play and it needs time. Your shortcuts may work for PVP experts but 1) OP never mentioned he plays PVP (the form of his post suggest he plays PVE) and 2) what fun is skipping basics when you just starts...

That was my argument lol.

3 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

That was my argument lol.

Totally agree with both of you. A lot of the suggestions seem more like what they would do starting from scratch with what they know. A new player just does not have the knowledge or skills yet to tackle taming some of the first dino suggestions when there are some easier tames that they can practice on first.

1 hour ago, Mortus said:

Totally agree with both of you. A lot of the suggestions seem more like what they would do starting from scratch with what they know. A new player just does not have the knowledge or skills yet to tackle taming some of the first dino suggestions when there are some easier tames that they can practice on first.

Ikr, theres no way in heck a noobs gonna pull half this stuff people are suggesting off.

I've always had a fondness for trikes. They're pretty easy to get (if you have high ground to shoot from) and for an early gatherer, they can protect you from almost every mid tier carnivore. Argents and allos are really the only two that I can see giving you a bad day, as long as you're careful. Just don't aim for the head, they have armor there.

10 hours ago, ReddDoc said:

I recommend playing on an unofficial server if you don't have time to sit and feed dinos for hours. Depending on the map I'd go for a mantis on scorched or rag. They're great if you place an axe in their hand for wood/stone pick for flint/metal and you can place pikes and swords in their hands for killing.

Yet again bad advice for a noob, that noob gonna kill a deathworm to tame a mantis?  Its a noob, could you of tamed a mantis when a noob?  Truly all noobs should start on single player.  Your advice is good, but not for a noob.

When I first played I ran from dippys lol.....anything large really lol 

i went dodo -> Dilo -> parasaur -> raptors and pteranodon (tamed same time by luck side by side lol) -> Rex. 

We all played differently in our early hours of ark. When I hit the raptor stage I had walled off the base and a Rex had wandered close. Alone I didn't dare screw with it but once a buddy jumped on we went into action to take it down. So here we are lvl 30 no speed boosts nothing just bowing this thing. We run into the base as to get a safer shot and the bad boy jumped the fence using the spiked walls I placed around the outside of the walls and we panicked lol all our tames were in danger. 2 more arrows and he was down, inside the compound....nowhere better to have fallen I'd say. Got lucky. 

• 7 months later...

I personally tame a Moschops. They are omnivors and do decent damage. Their speed isn't bad and niether is their weight. They are a passive tame. If you can find one they switch between a cycle of foods varying from raw prime meat to timtoberrys. I found that they are way most common on Ragnarok but i've still seen them on all the other maps. Also if you are looking to build a starter base, don't ever use thatch. Start with wood or stone and work your way up.

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, Tuneboy said:

I kinda need help with this as well.   Im a new player just startes bout week or so ago on xbox one and im lvl 67 almost 68 but i dont have anything.   No dinos or such.  I have a small hut and some storage boxes.      Need some help lol

Welcome to ark. You definitely need to get yourself some dinos, dinos are your lifeblood in this game. They will help you harvest resources quicker, be your transportation, and protect you from other dinos.

Since you have no dinos, i would recommend getting a trike to start with. You will need to make tranq arrows. Then, either lure it to a cliff or somewhere you can shoot it and it can't get to you.  Understand that as it gets close to passing out, it WILL start trying to run away so, I find that trapping them is usually the better option so i don't have to chase it all over the place and possibly aggro other more dangerous dinos.

Or, what i did when i was really new, learned how to make a wooden sign, put 3 in a U formation, pissed off a trike and got it to follow me into the U, then put down the fourth sign behind it so it was trapped, Tranq until knocked out and feed berries. Once you have a trike, he/she can harvest berries for you at a much higher rate, this will allow you to get A LOT more narco berries for taming. My next tame would be a pteranodon. You definitely need a flyer in this game, usually better to have 2, because inevitably, you will die and need a second flyer to go retrieve your body and your first flyer. For the ptera you can use a bola to immobilize it for 6 seconds (they land on the ground a lot) and shoot it with tranqs. Pteras usually only take a few arrows/darts to knock them out. For the ptera, the highest level you can get is best, you want as much stamina as you can get.

Those 2 would be a good start. ANd one other tip you may not know, Store all your food and perishables on your dinos at first because things don't spoil as quickly in their inventory, until you can make preserving bins and refrigerators.

8 minutes ago, graystorm01 said:

Welcome to ark. You definitely need to get yourself some dinos, dinos are your lifeblood in this game. They will help you harvest resources quicker, be your transportation, and protect you from other dinos.

Since you have no dinos, i would recommend getting a trike to start with. You will need to make tranq arrows. Then, either lure it to a cliff or somewhere you can shoot it and it can't get to you.  Understand that as it gets close to passing out, it WILL start trying to run away so, I find that trapping them is usually the better option so i don't have to chase it all over the place and possibly aggro other more dangerous dinos.

Or, what i did when i was really new, learned how to make a wooden sign, put 3 in a U formation, pissed off a trike and got it to follow me into the U, then put down the fourth sign behind it so it was trapped, Tranq until knocked out and feed berries. Once you have a trike, he/she can harvest berries for you at a much higher rate, this will allow you to get A LOT more narco berries for taming. My next tame would be a pteranodon. You definitely need a flyer in this game, usually better to have 2, because inevitably, you will die and need a second flyer to go retrieve your body and your first flyer. For the ptera you can use a bola to immobilize it for 6 seconds (they land on the ground a lot) and shoot it with tranqs. Pteras usually only take a few arrows/darts to knock them out. For the ptera, the highest level you can get is best, you want as much stamina as you can get.

Those 2 would be a good start. ANd one other tip you may not know, Store all your food and perishables on your dinos at first because things don't spoil as quickly in their inventory, until you can make preserving bins and refrigerators.

Good advice!  I would also add taming tons of dilos and eventually a bunch of raptors if possible.  Why?  Because they are everywhere and in groups can be quite formidable, allowing you to safely escape many tricky situations.

Just now, choroni said:

Good advice!  I would also add taming tons of dilos and eventually a bunch of raptors if possible.  Why?  Because they are everywhere and in groups can be quite formidable, allowing you to safely escape many tricky situations.

My biggest mistake when starting ark, was not using dinos to their fullest, most especially, not using them to protect me. I was too used to games like skyrim and kingdom come where mostly, it's just you against the world. Now, If i'm on a ground mount, i never leave base without at least 3 other dinos. (Currently, have a hyaenadon pack of 5 that are just brutal and can rip through just about any dino pretty quickly) The only thing that bugs me about the hyaenadons are their pathing issues. When i made a trek across the island from my new base to my old base, i kept losing one of my hyaenadons, and having to go back, ride around and whistle until he showed up.

Archived