What is/are the best dino(s) for beginners?

XGeneralScrubX

I am getting ark soon and i've played the game for a few hours before at my cousins and he has over 100 hours into the game and he wouldn't give me any advice on the game, so my question is what is the best dino(s) for beginners? Also where is a good place to set up a base and a good spawn area (The Island)? All advice is appreciated and will help me out in the long run.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best all-around starter Dino? Raptors. Easy to tame, fast—can get you out of a jam quick—basic meat-gatherer, and decent defense against moderate threats, at least in a pack. Not really good in terms of weight, but it’ll get you on your feet. 

Parasaurs will be your starter pack mule. Not terribly fast nor strong, but has more health than a raptor and can carry a good amount, and a basic berry-gatherer too. 

1 hour ago, DarkEliteH2 said:

Best all-around starter Dino? Raptors. Easy to tame, fast—can get you out of a jam quick—basic meat-gatherer, and decent defense against moderate threats, at least in a pack. Not really good in terms of weight, but it’ll get you on your feet. 

Parasaurs will be your starter pack mule. Not terribly fast nor strong, but has more health than a raptor and can carry a good amount, and a basic berry-gatherer too. 

Raptor?  Really?  They can't carry poop.  One of the most important reasons to have a dino early is as a pack mule.  You don't want to be running back and forth with 1 stack of stone at a time, it'll drive you mad.    Also low level raptor is pretty weak against anything but other small dinos.

Trike is the way to go.  Trikes are tough, have decent XP even at low level, do decent damage, can carry much more than a raptor, can gather berries for food, taming and narco as well as wood and thatch for building.

No contest.  Trike is the best low level dino tame for a low level newbie.

Turtles were a good first mount. Yes they are slow but they carry a lot and are durable. Their only real weakness is the newraptors pounce ability but every beginner mount is probably susceptable to that. Trikes are good, Stegos are good and not too hard to tranq with arrows. You ust won't be able to ride them for a while.

One tip, always craft plenty of tranqs, I never went anywhere before crafting at least 100, the shield is very valuable too.

One of the first things to tame is several dilophosaurs. Have them follow you around on neutral or passive, and whistle to attack as needed. 

Don't build near the spawn points. Find a preferably hidden spot to make a small wooden (not thatch) building just long enough until you can get a stone building. Raptors are alright; a sabertooth is much better IMO. Get a few of each if you can. As mentioned you'll want a trike, but keep in mind you need a safe place to store these tames before getting a bunch.

I'd say the first dinos you want to tame is a couple of Dilophosaurs once you get access to the slingshot and some rocks. Try and get a male and a female, as you will want Dilo eggs later for kibble. Once you get your wood cabin or hut built, grab a pair of Dodos for the same reason. I'd say if you are still new and not fully familiar with all the aggressive creatures yet, grab yourself a Parasaur after you learn bolas, they will warn you about most threats in a fairly large area around them and will be a decent pack mule till you can grab a Trike. If you have any plans to breed and imprint creatures in the future you will be looking for another Parasaur of the opposite gender. A pair of Raptors will make good early meat gathers as well, so try and a few of these too after you learn bolas.

So generally I would say Dilos, Parasaur, Dodos once you are settled, Raptors, by then hopefully you have a bow or crossbow or two and a decent amount of tranq arrows and maybe a trap to get yourself a Trike. If you want to take a Trike with a slingshot you'll need to be prepared with several spare slingshots and a box of stones at hand as it will take quite a bit to bring one down, obviously, you should find a cliff to hit them from if not in a trap.

3 hours ago, InfameVolante said:

On ragnarok an equs too is very good.

I've got thousands of hours into this game, and have only managed to tame 1 horse ever. it was like a level 2 and it got stuck in some trees so it tamed  easy. But I have failed some many other times, that now I just kill them damn things out of spite.

Beginners? Like right off of the beach beginners? Obviously, Dilos. Easiest carnivore to tame at the start. Just make a club and beat one into submission once you have some meat to give it. Get a few of them before you upgrade to Raptors, which require a saddle mind you.

But if you mean early game, level 1-25, then Raptors and Trikes since they handle your meat, berries, wood, and thatch needs. I would recommend getting Ankys since they can get berries, wood and thatch, and metal, stone, and flint as well.

11 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

I've got thousands of hours into this game, and have only managed to tame 1 horse ever. it was like a level 2 and it got stuck in some trees so it tamed  easy. But I have failed some many other times, that now I just kill them damn things out of spite.

The horse is rather easy to tame provided you have carrots and approach it right.  No gillie suit needed.  Just crouch and come up behind it, once close walk, not run, to its butt and passive feed it.  After the 1st feed you can hope on it, once you do itll take off with you on it, itll start to buck every so often.  When it does the option to feed it is available.  If you dont feed it in like 5 secs you get thrown of and lose half your progress.  Stay on its back til youve fed it a few times and you have a horse.

6 minutes ago, Onimusha759 said:

The horse is rather easy to tame provided you have carrots and approach it right.  No gillie suit needed.  Just crouch and come up behind it, once close walk, not run, to its butt and passive feed it.  After the 1st feed you can hope on it, once you do itll take off with you on it, itll start to buck every so often.  When it does the option to feed it is available.  If you dont feed it in like 5 secs you get thrown of and lose half your progress.  Stay on its back til youve fed it a few times and you have a horse.

YEP, I am fine until the trying to feed it without getting bucked off part. I never seem to recognize the right time to feed it again. Just not worth the freaking time drain it takes for a stupid horse. I HATE THEM! Die horsey die!

4 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

YEP, I am fine until the trying to feed it without getting bucked off part. I never seem to recognize the right time to feed it again. Just not worth the freaking time drain it takes for a stupid horse. I HATE THEM! Die horsey die!

Lol, simplest way to tell is the horse runs when its not ready.  When it is ready it stops moving around, it just bucks in place.

3 hours ago, InfameVolante said:

On ragnarok an equs too is very good.

Problem With horses is they spawn in very dangerous areas with ragnarok putting them with potential gigas xD

Don't worry about Dilos or raptors. The first most useful dino you'll want to tame is a trike.

They're very good at farming berries which you'll need a lot of narcoberries at the start to make tranq arrows and narcotics. This will help you immensely in going after your next tames. As for what you should target next, raptors aren't that great. I usually skip them and go straight for a carno. They're much more powerful for early game and not very hard to tame. The key is to build traps using walls and a dino gate or just try to find a good vantage point to shoot at it from.

2 hours ago, Ascendant said:

One of the first things to tame is several dilophosaurs. Have them follow you around on neutral or passive, and whistle to attack as needed.

A pack of Dilo has saved my ass so many times in the past lol. 

I did raptors as my first on my last Aberration start, and tbh I was kinda underwhelmed with them. They got me enough hide to get some other saddles and bolas made, but I moved on from them quickly. 

Honestly the more I start over the longer I wait before taming anything. As a brand new player with little to no experience, I would also suggest waiting a bit before you tame anything, for several reasons:

You'll die. A lot. And chances are you'll lose your early game tames repeatedly as you learn the game, resulting in a lot of frustration and wasted time for you. Taming dilos and parasaurs and whatnot won't do you any good if you don't have anywhere safe to keep them. I do make one exception--the first animal I always tame is a female dodo. Female for eggs, and then I level her up in weight. I use it as a noob fridge to store things I know I'll need later that will be valuable--eggs, mejoberries, narcoberries and meat, mainly, and also any seeds to avoid using other more valuable storage space. This dodo never leaves my starter base until I'm ready to move to a proper territory since they can be carried by hand.

Moving animals can be difficult. As a new player you'll spawn on a beach, but you won't want to stay there long term. For one thing, if you're playing on a server expect the beaches to be pillared (to keep people from building on player spawn points) if on official; on unofficials they will likely be littered with other newb bases or lazy megabases. Depending on where you are you might find yourself making a lengthy trek through dangerous terrain with multiple animals that have little if any defense against the multitudes of much larger predators and other threats. The fewer animals you have to move, the better.

The corollary to the above of course if that if you know how you can tame some very, very good animals early on that will make your Ark life easier. I do agree with everyone who says get a trike and will add that a good trike can kill an alpha raptor, which can be a serious threat to any new player. I would avoid stegos simply because they can be an unreasonably long tame depending on the level. I would also skip dilos, paras and other animals of that nature. A raptor can be a useful scout, but you really want a decent level one and give it some speed and stamina; expect to run from most threats, but definitely make use of it for early hide stockpiling. If you're feeling ambitious try for a couple carnos or even a low level rex for some early game muscle.

It depends on what map you plan to play on, and whether you’re planning on playing on an official server, or an unofficial/ private with boosted taming rates. 

If you’re playing on an official server I agree with the dilo recommendations for a small bit of protection, along with a parasaur for an easily mount / pack mule.  Once you get a few levels you can look to replace the parasaur with a trike. 

Dodos and Dilos. Store your food in them as they act as your first kind of fridge. Always keep some with you when you travel because if you encounter bad things you can sacrifice them and escape from the threat while they're fighting. Later on you will be happy to have some of their eggs as well to make kibble for Pteranodons, Doedics and Ankys. ;)

Archived