Phoenix

Vaculity

Been looking to tame a Phoenix one day in SE. I would like to ask a few questions with regard to this:

• Should I use a Griffin with a decent (few) flamethrowers and its fuels during Superheat/Heatwave? If not, what would be the best recommendation? (There are cases where ashes could drop on a claimed area, so building a huge height area is out of the question.)
  • I am aware it only eats Sulfur once tamed, and I am planning to just bring it to Ragnarok once I tamed it. But where would be the best location to place a Phoenix within? (Vague, but I can't think of the question properly. Apologies.)
  • Where would Phoenix normally spawn within SE, or would they appear just about anywhere at a rare rate, even as ashes?

15 hours ago, Vaculity said:

Been looking to tame a Phoenix one day in SE. I would like to ask a few questions with regard to this:

• Should I use a Griffin with a decent (few) flamethrowers and its fuels during Superheat/Heatwave? If not, what would be the best recommendation? (There are cases where ashes could drop on a claimed area, so building a huge height area is out of the question.)
  • I am aware it only eats Sulfur once tamed, and I am planning to just bring it to Ragnarok once I tamed it. But where would be the best location to place a Phoenix within? (Vague, but I can't think of the question properly. Apologies.)
  • Where would Phoenix normally spawn within SE, or would they appear just about anywhere at a rare rate, even as ashes?

My friend and I are actually looking for one on an SE server ourselves. But the issues we are having are the heatwaves are so far and in between more than they used to be, and only one phoenix spawns on a SE server (at least for xbox anyway... heard up to 3 can spawn in at a time on PC but have been told someone had seen 2 on xbox). So the issues are the lack of heatwaves and locations on where these things are known to spawn. Sure, all of SE can be its spawn point, but without any "uncommon" locations, this thing is almost not worth it.

I can confirm up to 3 spawn at a time.  A phoenix can spawn anywhere on the map.  The wiki says the mountains are the best place but ive never found one there.  Ive seen and heard others mention they spawn in the desert west of ble obelisk.  The mose effective way to tame a phoenix is a fire wyvern.  Remember getting to close will burn you, the fire is immune.  I have tested and discussed with dave, the dododex guy that phoenix have a grace period when taming.  As long as u consistently hit it youll get a literal perfect tame which is impossible for most dinos.  Thus waiting for the wave to end and cage it between 4 stone foundations and 5 wall high doorframes with a roof, all stone is very very recommended.  My mastercraft flamethrower only got 20some% tame progress on a lvl 10 before it broke.  So if your determined to go flamethrower route youll need a lot of fuel and throwers.  I recommend after caging getting 2 wyverns with 1000 stam.  Go back and forth draining their stam with fire.  Very easy way to true perfect tame even a 150.

23 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

I recommend after caging getting 2 wyverns with 1000 stam.  Go back and forth draining their stam with fire.  Very easy way to true perfect tame even a 150.

Did you do this on officials?

My tribemate and I have mate boosted, imprinted wyverns with 2.5k stamina and something around 300 melee (if that matters at all).

We did not manage to tame a lvl 55 in one heatwave, even though we kited it inside the trap within a minute and started taming. Got it to about 60%.

We never tamed anything above lvl 30 within one heatwave on normal rates.

1 hour ago, Weiss said:

Did you do this on officials?

My tribemate and I have mate boosted, imprinted wyverns with 2.5k stamina and something around 300 melee (if that matters at all).

We did not manage to tame a lvl 55 in one heatwave, even though we kited it inside the trap within a minute and started taming. Got it to about 60%.

We never tamed anything above lvl 30 within one heatwave on normal rates.

The progress is supposed to remain at the start of the new wave.  Just be ready for it.  The waves last roughly 5 mins and my example was based on 1 already trapped at the beginning.  Either way when the next wave hits its yours.

On 3/24/2018 at 8:23 PM, Vaculity said:

I've gone on a couple phoenix hunts. Don't use a griffin-the flamethrower method is harder than it sounds. Use a fire wyvern (or a couple set on ai breath mode-whistle passive when it gets close to the phoenix so it doesn't bite). Phoenixes seem to spawn anywhere in the left half of the map, I've seen some in the SW dunes, the southern mountains and the western mountains. Sometimes the phoenix doesn't despawn properly and can be seen outside of a heat wave, but can't be tamed.

I've seen people tame phoenixes by building a structure close to its location, then kiting it in with a rare flower.

19 minutes ago, rororoxor said:

I've gone on a couple phoenix hunts. Don't use a griffin-the flamethrower method is harder than it sounds. Use a fire wyvern (or a couple set on ai breath mode-whistle passive when it gets close to the phoenix so it doesn't bite). Phoenixes seem to spawn anywhere in the left half of the map, I've seen some in the SW dunes, the southern mountains and the western mountains. Sometimes the phoenix doesn't despawn properly and can be seen outside of a heat wave, but can't be tamed.

I've seen people tame phoenixes by building a structure close to its location, then kiting it in with a rare flower.

I see. And What should be a feasible stat for the wyvern to properly tame a phoenix? I am looking to get a decent (not 150) Phoenix both as a trophy and as a forge/cooker (Not to a certain extent;  Iam aware of its low weight capacity)

1 hour ago, Vaculity said:

I see. And What should be a feasible stat for the wyvern to properly tame a phoenix? I am looking to get a decent (not 150) Phoenix both as a trophy and as a forge/cooker (Not to a certain extent;  Iam aware of its low weight capacity)

Uhh...maybe around 400% melee at least? It's stamina that you should be concerned about. Maybe around 1.5K.

I think any high level wyvern (170+ on official) should do the job if max imprinted.

23 minutes ago, rororoxor said:

Uhh...maybe around 400% melee at least? It's stamina that you should be concerned about. Maybe around 1.5K.

I think any high level wyvern (170+ on official) should do the job if max imprinted.

Its TE will b crap, iv had a decent wyvern and unless your rotating during the chase your TE will suffer

5 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

The progress is supposed to remain at the start of the new wave.  Just be ready for it.  The waves last roughly 5 mins and my example was based on 1 already trapped at the beginning.  Either way when the next wave hits its yours.

I know the progress remains, but I can't stay up forever. That's usually my problem. 

We need one heatwave to find and kite it, maybe another heatwave to kite the rest of the way, then we can start taming. (we do the stationary trap+rare flowers). 

I do not believe that you can tame a 150 in one heatwave, even if it is already trapped. I can't count the phoenixes we tamed any more, and I know that everything above 50 is really slow. 

15 minutes ago, Weiss said:

I know the progress remains, but I can't stay up forever. That's usually my problem. 

We need one heatwave to find and kite it, maybe another heatwave to kite the rest of the way, then we can start taming. (we do the stationary trap+rare flowers). 

I do not believe that you can tame a 150 in one heatwave, even if it is already trapped. I can't count the phoenixes we tamed any more, and I know that everything above 50 is really slow. 

Thats just problems of a soloist or taming a phoenix, cant be helped.  My method is easy, time consuming(cant be helped without help) but easy.

• 1 month later...

Is there a guarantee that there will always be at least 1 Phoenix?  

I've spent close to 20 hours hunting one.  I've gone through about a dozen heatwaves scoured the entire map. I can't find the stupid thing anywhere. 

Also - after the heatwave ends, is there a visible ash pile on the ground where it despawns or is it always invisible?

Does anyone know if there is a pattern on the heat waves?  I think that’s the hardest part. Knowing when a heat wave will come. We had two trapped this weekend (at the same time mind you) and were trying to tame them. We hit a gap of 7-8hrs with no heat wave, then had two back to back. Then a gap of a couple hours. Then one heatwave. Then two hour gap, then heatwave. It just doesn’t show any type of pattern. 

On 3/28/2018 at 9:09 PM, Onimusha759 said:

If thats the case, about the progress remaining through wave breaks, then there was an issue when I was taming a level 15 on x2 a few weeks back when I posted this. Only got the level 15 up to around 50% with a single wyvern, but once the next heat wave rolled in, the pheonix spawned above my trap and the tame bar was reset.

5 hours ago, Kayin said:

Also - after the heatwave ends, is there a visible ash pile on the ground where it despawns or is it always invisible?

To answer your question on the ash pile: yes. However, the ash pile is only visible for about 30 seconds to a minute. So once it despawns, watch for that ash pile and stick a pillar where it spawned at. Then come back and build a trap over it and try to tame it when the next heat wave comes in.

On May 14, 2018 at 4:58 PM, YourFavoriteOni said:

If thats the case, about the progress remaining through wave breaks, then there was an issue when I was taming a level 15 on x2 a few weeks back when I posted this. Only got the level 15 up to around 50% with a single wyvern, but once the next heat wave rolled in, the pheonix spawned above my trap and the tame bar was reset.

That does sound like a bug with the taming bar.  As for the trap if its not 5 walls high the phoenix will spawn above it.

23 hours ago, Kayin said:

This tame is almost as bad as the troodon.  I finally found it, after 30 - 40 hours (not exaggerating) of searching.   I put up 1 trap, it spawned just next to it.  Followed it to the 2nd spot, built another trap, and now after 3 heat waves it won't spawn.    It just... went away.

Awesome.  

Ill give you trap advice.  You cant build on a phoenix, so you can use that to properly cage it.  Build 4 stone foundations, 20 stone doorways, 1 stone ceiling.  Get the foundation ready to set, it turns red when your on the phoenix so check the left to right to see when it turns green, after calculating the exact spot center the foundation with the phoenix and place as close to it as possible, set the other 3 corner to corner around it with small gaps in between them, put up 5 wall high doorways on the inside of the foundations, put the ceiling on the top.

Have you interacted with the phoenix at all?  Once you interact with a dino itll have a despawn timer activate.  Drawing aggro or attacking a dino, even touching it will start the timer.  Therefore do NOT attack the phoenix til its caged, and be sure to be there before the wave starts so the phoenix cant render clip and escape.

On 5/17/2018 at 1:03 AM, Kayin said:

This tame is almost as bad as the troodon.  I finally found it, after 30 - 40 hours (not exaggerating) of searching.   I put up 1 trap, it spawned just next to it.  Followed it to the 2nd spot, built another trap, and now after 3 heat waves it won't spawn.    It just... went away.

Awesome.  

Adding to onimushas advice, I always put a dino gate on one side of the trap to kite the phoenix back in, in case something goes wrong. 

Our stationary trap has a second floor and a giant trapdoor between the floors, and when the phoenix respawns it will be one floor higher, but is still trapped. Opening the trapdoor and eating a rare flower will bring it back to the lower part (actual trap).

We built with pillars instead of doorways (only one doorway "wall" stacked to place the trapdoor). 

We build a cage around it once it turns to ash. Stone: 8 fence foundations, 4 pillars, 7 ceilings and 48 door frames. Make a hexagon shape. 6 high is what works for us. We use Fire Wyvs with 2000+ stam and we have 3-4 of us who tame it together as that is the easiest method. We've tamed 5 phoenix's this way. 

Good luck!!! :D

Archived