pvp Insiding

I honestly don't understand the mentality or thought process behind insiding someone. To me, it's a weak way to get back at someone. I have been playing ark since legacy days, I've had tribe leaders do me really dirty. The first tribe I was in, was on an island server, and these guys didn't even know what dododex was. Now, that's all fine and dandy since I was new to the game, and therefore didn't realize how behind the tribe was (wooden base even though they'd been there for weeks, tames were lackluster, no resource tames so everything was done by hand), anyway, after a couple days of this I realized we weren't doing something right, so I hit up some friends that played and they joined. After that, the tribe started making huge strides towards moving forward. Some of the older members were getting alarmed that the new guys and myself were getting too much power in the tribe, so one day when we were out gathering materials, they locked us out of our own base and then kicked my buddies. I was seething after putting in weeks of hard work for a tribe that sucked before we got there. Nonetheless, I logged on the next couple of days and took care of poop around base, only to be told to grab my pt and gtfo, couldn't grab any of the armor, weapons, or materials I had grinded for. My immediate response wasn't to destroy their poop (though I could have) or kill their poop (though I could have done so as well), but I did join an alpha tribe on a center server and came back with weapons and friends to exact my revenge. Those guys STILL don't play ark to this day honestly. My point is this, if you are good enough at ark, you shouldn't have to resort to insiding. There's no honor in insiding.

You don't HAVE to resort to it, but people will do it anyways. At one point in the PS4 ARK community, Insiding was actively encouraged and people were posting youtube links left and right of them insiding a mega or alpha.

You have to think about it from a ongoing conflict perspective. You don't have to inside a tribe, but if you do that tribe will be severely weakened, and many of the players if they don't know anybody will more than likely quit from it. For Smaller tribes this is a death blow, but for an alpha or a mega it's more an inconvenience than not. Insiding is also commonly used in large scale megatribe warfare, alongside undermeshing and ddosing. The tactics are dirty, but they're damn effective at making people lose interest in the game unless you have a grudge against a tribe. You also need to look into it from an RTS perspective, something that the majority of the ARK  PS4 playerbase doesn't really do. large scale conflicts essentially become a war of attrition, as to who can kill the most dinos the quickest. 500 dead dinos is 500 dinos, and insiding is a quick and cheap method of doing, particularly if you know someone in that tribe who is dissatisfied with their tribe leadership (though more often than not they do it for the lolz). At the end of the day, it isn't if you're good or not, it's if you're willing to spend the time to tank defenses, deal with other players, and the general rampant lag/connectivity issues that this game has. Insiding isn't by far the most virtuous tactic, but it's a tactic nonetheless, and the only sure way to circumvent that is to have a tight recruit screening process and that they have enough intelligence that they don't have to run to a "tribe lead" for the most basic of tasks.

Archived