RPG and the ice cave

20GT

On 3/23/2018 at 7:00 AM, 20GT said:

Why don't I ever read anything about using the RPG in the ice cave? Is it nerfed in there? 

Ice worm 1800 hp 

RPG 1800 damage 

Splash damage maybe? They pop out right in your face and will bury again to move when you back up far enough. So you'll be too close when you fire and hit yourself. I haven't tested it yet but that's my guess. 

1: RPGs are much more expensive then Shotgun Ammo.

2: RPGs are heavier then Shotguns, and will break much, much more often, so you will need to bring more RPGs over.

3: RPGs cause significant splash damage that close, and you will thus kill yourself.

So, yea. All are decent reasons as to why you don't use RPGs in the Ice Wyvern caves, or really PvE in general.

We use RPG's for the Queen. Allied tribe so no damage to myself who tanks her with the shield. 

In the tunnel though I tank with the shield and they stay back and destroy with 290 assault rifles. 

RPG solo you would need a wing suit I think to make an escape and provide enough distance to unleash a rocket to prevent proximity backlash damage. Not too bad in the arena but too tight of quarters in the main cave section. 

Try the beauty of a high level compound bow. The ones my tribe used hit for about 1.8k and crit for over 4.5k. There are stronger ones out there. Combined with some high level shields the cave is a breeze. I even managed to tank the Queen with a shield while the rest of the tribe killed her. (2x Ascendant metal shields (12000 HP) and 3x journeyman riot shields (7000 HP).

With a group of 4-5 people and the right tools, it's really not that hard.

On 4/6/2018 at 12:09 AM, Vitiablesoup said:

Try the beauty of a high level compound bow. The ones my tribe used hit for about 1.8k and crit for over 4.5k. There are stronger ones out there. Combined with some high level shields the cave is a breeze. I even managed to tank the Queen with a shield while the rest of the tribe killed her. (2x Ascendant metal shields (12000 HP) and 3x journeyman riot shields (7000 HP).

With a group of 4-5 people and the right tools, it's really not that hard.

You might have your math a little off there, unless you are on unofficial. Compound bows do 200 damage and cap out close to 300%.

17 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

You might have your math a little off there, unless you are on unofficial. Compound bows do 200 damage and cap out close to 300%.

There is technically no cap, it's just really, REALLY rare to get a super-high quality chest. It's possible with the pluerodon though.

Their rate of fire is what makes them scary too-  Note that while you do have to hold it all the way back to do "max" damage, the difference between min and max damage is like 10%, so you can REALLY rapid fire the bow if you need to for fast damage output.

Finally, you have to determine which is easier to get - Gunpowder, or cementing paste+polymer. For me, I can get enough paste and polymer for a few hundred arrows in a half arrow, but getting enough gunpower for the same amount is a bit more pain.

I much prefer to use Gunpowder for explosives.

As for damage output? While the Shotgun DOES have higher damage per ammo (450.8 vs dinos), the Compound Bow shoots MUCH faster.

It really depends on your preference at that level.

49 minutes ago, Frogspoison said:

There is technically no cap, it's just really, REALLY rare to get a super-high quality chest. It's possible with the pluerodon though.

Their rate of fire is what makes them scary too-  Note that while you do have to hold it all the way back to do "max" damage, the difference between min and max damage is like 10%, so you can REALLY rapid fire the bow if you need to for fast damage output.

Finally, you have to determine which is easier to get - Gunpowder, or cementing paste+polymer. For me, I can get enough paste and polymer for a few hundred arrows in a half arrow, but getting enough gunpower for the same amount is a bit more pain.

I much prefer to use Gunpowder for explosives.

As for damage output? While the Shotgun DOES have higher damage per ammo (450.8 vs dinos), the Compound Bow shoots MUCH faster.

It really depends on your preference at that level.

I have to disagree. On official, any weapon you get past 290% (Unless it changed slightly) will actually get auto-nerfed down to 290%.

Also, the compound bow shoots faster if you do not charge your shot. Which seems counterproductive.

10 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

I have to disagree. On official, any weapon you get past 290% (Unless it changed slightly) will actually get auto-nerfed down to 290%.

Also, the compound bow shoots faster if you do not charge your shot. Which seems counterproductive.

Does that include crafting skill bonus? I have a number of 315-325% crossbows from 1k crafting skill (280% baseline crossbow BP), not nerfed.

The difference between a fully-charged shot and a brief right-click is 10% damage, so while it IS a damage loss per arrow to not fully charge your shot, if you are point-blank with an angry deathworm, I would say that killing it faster is more important then saving arrows.

8 hours ago, Frogspoison said:

Does that include crafting skill bonus? I have a number of 315-325% crossbows from 1k crafting skill (280% baseline crossbow BP), not nerfed.

The difference between a fully-charged shot and a brief right-click is 10% damage, so while it IS a damage loss per arrow to not fully charge your shot, if you are point-blank with an angry deathworm, I would say that killing it faster is more important then saving arrows.

Yes. Even items made with crafting bonus get auto nerfed sooner or later.

The skill is only useful if you want to use a cheaper blueprint to get the same maxed result.

Archived