How to disable Sleep Dept

zyphen

4 hours ago, Frogspoison said:

If you ported regular Megalosaurs into Aberration, they will still be sleepy during the day, so you can only really use them 3 out of every 10 days.

If you ported Abberrant Megas into other maps, then they will behave just like regular Megalosaurs, and sleep during the day.

Its like Aberrant Megalosaurus are used to the night cycles of the underground map, hence the reason why they can stay active all the time and only behave like other mega if they are at other maps. Originals on the other hand, are not used to such cycles, and will still sleep even with at least a 10% Night.

On 3/23/2018 at 2:52 AM, Vaculity said:

Its like Aberrant Megalosaurus are used to the night cycles of the underground map, hence the reason why they can stay active all the time and only behave like other mega if they are at other maps. Originals on the other hand, are not used to such cycles, and will still sleep even with at least a 10% Night.

I have addressed this elsewhere, but this logic makes 0 sense for the following reason:  Nocturnal creatures aren't awake at night and asleep during the day because of daylight or "night cycles"  Nocturnal creatures are active during the night time for one of 2 reasons:  1)  As prey, they more easily escape their predators at night or 2)  As predators, their prey is better hunted at night.  Literally every other aspect of nocturnal creatures is the RESULT of being asleep during the day time and awake during the night time, not the CAUSE of that behavior.  @Jen made a comment on twitter about this at one point to justify aberrant megalos sleeping on other maps, and it's merely a cop-out.  The fact of the matter is this:  If you took aberrant megalos out of their habitat of aberration and placed them elsewhere, they wouldn't suddenly submit to the sleep cycles of their non-aberrant cousins.  They would actively hunt out a desired prey.  Now, over generations, if their desired prey were better hunted during the night time, they would evolve to exhibit that behavior over time.  I personally would have happily accepted "It's an experiment and their genetics have been coded to sleep when not on aberration!"  It's still a cop-out, but at least THAT is an acceptably logical answer to it.  I would have accepted "We don't want the aberrant megalos to be too OP on other maps!".  They wouldn't... but again... at least that's a logically acceptable answer.  What we got... biologically and evolutionally makes no sense whatsoever.

4 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

What we got... biologically and evolutionally makes no sense whatsoever.

Yes. That is correct...and it applies to literally every creature in the game including the humans. People really only seem to have a problem with this near universal Ark-logic when it's something they don't agree with.

Two dinos - both with with near identical physical makeup and different sleep patterns based on different environments - exist, and one will automatically sync to the others dino's sleep schedule if introduced to the habitat of the other? "Well that's simply unacceptable and makes no evolutionary sense." Dinos that have evolved to carry 1000+ pounds and a small house on their back can regain their stamina while hovering in the air if you dismount and stand around? *crickets*

It's not a copout...it's a video game. Sometimes things that don't make sense in reality are put into video games. This is not new. You don't need to eat colorful mushrooms in hopes of shooting fireballs to learn that lesson.

10 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

"Well that's simply unacceptable and makes no evolutionary sense." Dinos that have evolved to carry 1000+ pounds and a small house on their back can regain their stamina while hovering in the air if you dismount and stand around? *crickets*

1:  There's a huge difference in something put into the game that doesn't make sense and is FUN vs something put into the game that doesn't make sense and takes away fun.

2:  Did I say that I have no problems with the other non-explained inconsistencies with real life?  Many of these real life inconsistencies in the game are actually explained in the lore.  This makes them acceptable.  The lore for megalos offers no explanation to their nocturnal behavior beyond "LAWLZ IZ TIRED!!", so we're left to fill in the gaps.  Logically, we can make assumptions based on real world nocturnal creatures.  Being a predator with few of its own, we can then reasonably assume that it falls under the category of "I'm awake at night because I hunt at night."

9 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

1:  There's a huge difference in something put into the game that doesn't make sense and is FUN vs something put into the game that doesn't make sense and takes away fun.

You have effectively described the concept of subjectivity whilst simultaneously implying that there is no such thing as subjectivity.

9 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

2:  Did I say that I have no problems with the other non-explained inconsistencies with real life?  Many of these real life inconsistencies in the game are actually explained in the lore.  This makes them acceptable.  The lore for megalos offers no explanation to their nocturnal behavior beyond "LAWLZ IZ TIRED!!", so we're left to fill in the gaps.  Logically, we can make assumptions based on real world nocturnal creatures.  Being a predator with few of its own, we can then reasonably assume that it falls under the category of "I'm awake at night because I hunt at night."

You didn't say that, nor did I suggest you did. I used them as examples to demonstrate why your reaction to this issue has nothing to do with "evolutionary sense." It doesn't. It has everything to do with, "Hey, I don't like that. Let's find a MacGuffin I can use to make my personal opinion sound more like a scientifically justifiable argument." Megalos/Ab-Megs are the way they are because they needed to be balanced between maps. Just because you want done it differently doesn't mean it's wrong and must be fixed. It just means you don't like it. Not everything in the world was made so you will like it.

How would a plant evolve that heals nearby animals while also producing light?  How would said plant produce fruit that is a flash bang grenade?   How can animals the size of a small pickup truck burrow and travel under ground at the speed a person can run? How would having a lamprey attached to your body protect you from radiation? How can you fit a fish in a basket that is smaller than its entire body while keeping it alive?  How does a huge lizard evolve the ability not only to cloak itself but a saddle and a rider?

30 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

How would a plant evolve that heals nearby animals while also producing light?  How would said plant produce fruit that is a flash bang grenade?   How can animals the size of a small pickup truck burrow and travel under ground at the speed a person can run? How would having a lamprey attached to your body protect you from radiation? How can you fit a fish in a basket that is smaller than its entire body while keeping it alive?  How does a huge lizard evolve the ability not only to cloak itself but a saddle and a rider?

Precisely. Compared to all of those things, a creature whose activities and sleep/wake cycle change based on the existence of sunlight (or lack thereof) doesn't seem so farfetched...at least not in my opinion. It's no stretch of the imagination for anyone who has ever worked a long hard day in the sun and spent the following day inside resting with the A/C on. Does it make perfect sense? No...but this is a game where people ride dinosaurs. Nothing makes perfect sense...

"I don't like it!" is one thing...but suggesting that evolution science precludes such a thing from being feasible in a video game is a bit obtuse, especially when considering the concept in the context of this particular game...don't you think?

2 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

As far as healing properties of plant Z, no explanation beyond "hey, it's a game". For the other parts, though, producing light and a flash back effect from its fruit is simply explained as phosphoric chemical reactions. The fruit could contain 2 compounds that, when combined, rapidly create light and sound. 

For reaper subterranean movement, have you ever seen a mole dig through the ground? The speed that they travel while digging through soil (not previously dug tunnels) is amazing. Reapers could easily have the same capabilities. If you look at their claws, they look adequate for digging.  Having a larger body means needing to displace significantly more soil, but it's not beyond the means of possible or even reasonable.

Fish basket falls under "Meh, it's a game" 

Drake cloaking isn't unreasonable, though. Now, admittedly, cloaking the rider wouldn't be possible, but cloaking the entire body of the drake would. From sides or below, the drake could shield the rider from visibility of others. 

My point is this: if you are going to make something in a game that has real life counterparts, make it as close as possible to the real life counter part. If you're going to cling to a real life concept to explain a part of your game, get that concept right. I can accept the explanation of "Meh, it's a game" a whole lot more than "there's no sunlight, so he doesn't need to sleep." 

Also, yes.. Fun is subjective... However there are certain things that no one will ever find fun. A Dino you grow to love on one map being useless on every other map because of a behavioral trait that it shouldn't have in the first place is one of those things. We have hashed this out in another thread and this is the part that I can't understand why it doesn't click for you... On other maps, megalos are not used for anything except kibble. Period. You never see someone running around on megalos on any map except aberration. Why? Because they are both horribly unreliable and aggro magnets. They aggro literally everything that aggro naturally. That, alone, provides the balance megalos needed. Yes, they're strong. Yes, they're agile. But when you're needing to do something, do you want to have to fight off every single raptor, Saber tooth, Rex, wolf, purlovia, micro raptor, terror bird..... See where I'm going with this?  Balance is done for 2 reasons in a game:  to prevent exploitation of something in a PvP setting and to prevent obsolescence. Often times devs of games swing the nerf hammer way too hard when trying to balance and it creates imbalance. The megalo is not balanced. 

On 3/30/2018 at 4:55 AM, banggugyangu said:

My point is this: if you are going to make something in a game that has real life counterparts, make it as close as possible to the real life counter part. If you're going to cling to a real life concept to explain a part of your game, get that concept right.

Sounds pretty sweet. A game where you run around on an empty map, make houses, and wonder what happened to make all the dinosaurs extinct. You can still have dinos, but first you have to dig up their bones, put them together like a puzzle, and display their completed skeletons in the base you built by hand. Good game, 10/10 IGN.

14 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Sounds pretty sweet. A game where you run around on an empty map, make houses, and wonder what happened to make all the dinosaurs extinct. You can still have dinos, but first you have to dig up their bones, put them together like a puzzle, and display their completed skeletons in the base you built by hand. Good game, 10/10 IGN.

You're the master of missing the point.....

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Qwertymine said:

Abberant Megalos shouldn't fall asleep simply because they aren't on Abberation, that makes no sense. If the devs simply said because they didn't want normal Megalos to be overshadowed, that would be fine, but their excuse is stupid.

What y'all keep forgetting....theres a story line that literally explains the lore of ark. Explains map barriers, why the temp changes drastically in each biome, why rex is in the arctic zones, how scorched can support sooo many carnos with minimal prey. 

The game is a genetic experiment. EVERYTHING HAS BEEN A GMO SINCE THE BEGINNING. 

Why do they fall asleep on the island and not aberration? Because the obelisks maintain order on each map. It's not hard to fathom the fact that once they're trabfered they are forced to cycle their sleeps. The ob have the power of maintenance on each ark, thus they are the reason the arks maintain "balance". They cause the spawns, weather, and any other manipulation of the arks. The arks are by no means self sufficient ecosystems so stop expecting it. They are manipulated by outside forces. Literally. 

Read the explorer notes, and if you have already and dont agree with this than read them again. 

I don't agree with everything but it is what it is. 

48 minutes ago, Qwertymine said:

There is no in-game lore describing the way Abberant Megalos interact with other maps. The excuse the devs made is BS

What's their excuse? 

There's enough lore to explain why things are the way they are. Just cause there no direct explanations to the mega you automatically have to discredit the story? You can't accept that the ob can cause any of this? Can you argue why the ob wouldn' be able to cause such a phenomenon or ?

No, I can't accept that the Obelisks control this. They aren't as powerful as you are making them out to be. You make it seem like they are virtual gods that control every tiny thing that happens on the Arks, but they aren't. You keep using lore as a means of justifying a game mechanic that makes no sense when applied logically. The Abberant Megalosaurs experience a day almost exactly like one on any of the other maps while in the Fertile Biome, and yet they don't fall asleep. 

Oh great, another person in denial of the gameplay mechanics. This is getting old, thinking they rather have their own way and will do anything to get to it. "Jerboas should be a thing in Aberration because they are easy to raise" "Raptors should not have pounce because they ruin the game" Come on, this is getting old, can we stop about these ridiculous stuff and get over it?

So you are telling me in a sense, Megalosaurus should never sleep? Because the way you are posting right now is telling me all types of megalosaurus should never sleep, regardless of map. Aberration map is an underground-related ARK, Island is a surface ARK, Ragnarok is a surface ARK, Scorched Earth is a surface ARK, Center is a surface ARK. Aberrant Megalosaurus are only used to underground ARK simply because of the fact its mostly "dark" (Yes, quoted, because there are still daylight, but they are used to the area here), so they don't sleep there. Every other ARK are considered surface, and they are not even used to the light there. And to add on, aberration's day/night cycle are not like the same as any other map, they change each day depending on the last digit of the day.

Obelisk are what maintains the entire ARK. If you are going to say that "I can't accept that the Obelisk control this" and stick with it just because of a that one dino, then boy, you need to quit the game (I literally mean it), because thats how this game goes by. Its how the entity which we don't know maintains each ARK, malfunctioned or not.

• Wildcard Community
On 3/28/2018 at 7:11 PM, LouSpowells said:

Yes. That is correct...and it applies to literally every creature in the game including the humans. People really only seem to have a problem with this near universal Ark-logic when it's something they don't agree with.

Two dinos - both with with near identical physical makeup and different sleep patterns based on different environments - exist, and one will automatically sync to the others dino's sleep schedule if introduced to the habitat of the other? "Well that's simply unacceptable and makes no evolutionary sense." Dinos that have evolved to carry 1000+ pounds and a small house on their back can regain their stamina while hovering in the air if you dismount and stand around? *crickets*

It's not a copout...it's a video game. Sometimes things that don't make sense in reality are put into video games. This is not new. You don't need to eat colorful mushrooms in hopes of shooting fireballs to learn that lesson.

I just want to point out, flowers make you shoot fireballs, not mushrooms.

Can't attest to the Jerboa thing because I don't raise them(Aberrant Jerboas do kinda sound cool, is there a mod for that?), and I'm personally not against the Raptor pouncing, but the fact still remains that Megalosaurs on Aberration are used to daylight. They don't sleep at all. It's not a matter of the Obelisks controlling them, it's just them not sleeping. I don't think it makes any sense that a creature that normally doesn't need to sleep suddenly has to sleep at night simply because it is on a different map. In the context of gameplay balance, I understand. A creature as powerful as a Rex but small as a Carno with no drawbacks being used to raid caves for Artifacts? That would be the most broken thing since the Giga. But it seems unreasonable for a creature to work one way on a map, and work differently on another. Like why do Reaper Kings retain their damage resistance on the Island despite there being no natural way of combating the,, or why do Bulbdogs not grant you with the charge buff when not on Aberration(Which isn't a big deal, but you get the point). Its just... inconsistent I guess? Sorry if that doesn't make any sense.

On 5/3/2018 at 11:47 PM, Qwertymine said:

Can't attest to the Jerboa thing because I don't raise them(Aberrant Jerboas do kinda sound cool, is there a mod for that?), and I'm personally not against the Raptor pouncing, but the fact still remains that Megalosaurs on Aberration are used to daylight. They don't sleep at all. It's not a matter of the Obelisks controlling them, it's just them not sleeping. I don't think it makes any sense that a creature that normally doesn't need to sleep suddenly has to sleep at night simply because it is on a different map. In the context of gameplay balance, I understand. A creature as powerful as a Rex but small as a Carno with no drawbacks being used to raid caves for Artifacts? That would be the most broken thing since the Giga. But it seems unreasonable for a creature to work one way on a map, and work differently on another. Like why do Reaper Kings retain their damage resistance on the Island despite there being no natural way of combating the,, or why do Bulbdogs not grant you with the charge buff when not on Aberration(Which isn't a big deal, but you get the point). Its just... inconsistent I guess? Sorry if that doesn't make any sense.

Charge Light are... questionable, but I can say they aren't like the daylight light.

Archived