easter event EASTER EVENT 2018

Z1C4D0

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DJRone89

No breeding confirmed here, and likely not for a while so no point wasting your energy asking for 2x for this event or every week, because if it’s not mentioned in the latest crunch (Monday’s) then it won’t be happening at all.

2 hours ago, ClanTKC said:

We already have the even running on our unofficial and it appears the easter egg laying part of the event is broken.

What did you do to get yours enabled?  I tried adding the -ActiveEvent=Easter line to start up command line for the dedicated server, and two subsequent dino wipes, but no luck.  No fun-colored dinos and no bunny eared dodos.

We love the fun-colored dinos because it magically becomes a scavenger hunt for a little while.

3 hours ago, ClanTKC said:

We already have the even running on our unofficial and it appears the easter egg laying part of the event is broken.

1 hour ago, Hosscat said:

Yeah, I was wondering if the eggs are laid by the dodos or dropped when you kill them....haven't gotten any either way. On unofficial as well.

It's only the wild bunny dodos and ovis that lay the easter eggs: they're not dropped when killed, but laid just as wild dinos always lay eggs in the wild. So run around where they are looking at the ground - 50% of the wild eggs will be easter eggs. As wild dinos don't drop too many eggs, I didn't expect too much, but I suspect they increased the egg laying as well as I've seen many more eggs than I had expected! I even get more just easter eggs than I usually did ordinary eggs.

Have a look at your dodos - if they don't have bunny ears and are called Wild Bunny Dodo, then they probably aren't effected. In addition to activating the event, do a -ForceRespawnDinos as well so that you get fresh new dinos.

1 hour ago, Scrysis said:

What did you do to get yours enabled?  I tried adding the -ActiveEvent=Easter line to start up command line for the dedicated server, and two subsequent dino wipes, but no luck.  No fun-colored dinos and no bunny eared dodos.

I have a .bat-file to run my server. I just added the '-ActiveEvent=Easter' command to the end of the command line. I also did a -ForceRespawnDinos the first time I started the server, so that I would get some easter dinos :D

7 minutes ago, Zahlea said:

It's only the wild bunny dodos and ovis that lay the easter eggs: they're not dropped when killed, but laid just as wild dinos always lay eggs in the wild. So run around where they are looking at the ground - 50% of the wild eggs will be easter eggs. As wild dinos don't drop too many eggs, I didn't expect too much, but I suspect they increased the egg laying as well as I've seen many more eggs than I had expected! I even get more just easter eggs than I usually did ordinary eggs.

Have a look at your dodos - if they don't have bunny ears and are called Wild Bunny Dodo, then they probably aren't effected. In addition to activating the event, do a -ForceRespawnDinos as well so that you get fresh new dinos.

I have a .bat-file to run my server. I just added the '-ActiveEvent=Easter' command to the end of the command line. I also did a -ForceRespawnDinos the first time I started the server, so that I would get some easter dinos :D

Do you mind putting up your bat file (like copy-pasted) with any of the sensitive info starred out?  I'd like to make sure that I don't have my stuff in the wrong place or whatever.  I'm frustrated and confused at this point by my bat file, so I'd love a comparison.

4 minutes ago, Scrysis said:

Do you mind putting up your bat file (like copy-pasted) with any of the sensitive info starred out?  I'd like to make sure that I don't have my stuff in the wrong place or whatever.  I'm frustrated and confused at this point by my bat file, so I'd love a comparison.

Not at all! I've starred out the port numbers and dashed out the server name:

start ShooterGameServer.exe TheIsland?listen?Port=*****?QueryPort=*****?MaxPlayers=36?RCONEnabled=True?AltSaveDirectoryName=ServerSave--------Island?AllowRaidDinoFeeding=true -clusterid=-------- -ForceAllowCaveFlyers -noBattlEye -ActiveEvent=Easter

REM -ForceRespawnDinos

I keep the REM -ForceRespawnDinos there for copy-paste-purposes (REM makes it a comment that is disregarded by the .bat-file ). So just for accessibility - the first time I started the easter event, my command line looked like this:

start ShooterGameServer.exe TheIsland?listen?Port=*****?QueryPort=*****?MaxPlayers=36?RCONEnabled=True?AltSaveDirectoryName=ServerSave--------Island?AllowRaidDinoFeeding=true -clusterid=-------- -ForceAllowCaveFlyers -noBattlEye -ActiveEvent=Easter -ForceRespawnDinos

Hope it helps!

9 minutes ago, Zahlea said:

Not at all! I've starred out the port numbers and dashed out the server name:

start ShooterGameServer.exe TheIsland?listen?Port=*****?QueryPort=*****?MaxPlayers=36?RCONEnabled=True?AltSaveDirectoryName=ServerSave--------Island?AllowRaidDinoFeeding=true -clusterid=-------- -ForceAllowCaveFlyers -noBattlEye -ActiveEvent=Easter

REM -ForceRespawnDinos

I keep the REM -ForceRespawnDinos there for copy-paste-purposes (REM makes it a comment that is disregarded by the .bat-file ). So just for accessibility - the first time I started the easter event, my command line looked like this:

start ShooterGameServer.exe TheIsland?listen?Port=*****?QueryPort=*****?MaxPlayers=36?RCONEnabled=True?AltSaveDirectoryName=ServerSave--------Island?AllowRaidDinoFeeding=true -clusterid=-------- -ForceAllowCaveFlyers -noBattlEye -ActiveEvent=Easter -ForceRespawnDinos

Hope it helps!

I'm trying it again. . . . I forgot about the -ForceRespawnDinos command.  Sadly, my bat file contains a bunch more important junk.  I run the server on an old computer that sits in my living room, and have to add stuff to the command line that not only tells it which internal IP address stuff should go to, but what IP address to broadcast so that my friends can see the server from outside of the network.  Hell, I've never even gotten the -noBattlEye command to work :-(.

I really hope I can get this to work. . . .the holiday events are a lot of fun.  I have no regrets, even if I did have to redownload the content folder after Christmas.

7 minutes ago, Scrysis said:

I'm trying it again. . . . I forgot about the -ForceRespawnDinos command.  Sadly, my bat file contains a bunch more important junk.  I run the server on an old computer that sits in my living room, and have to add stuff to the command line that not only tells it which internal IP address stuff should go to, but what IP address to broadcast so that my friends can see the server from outside of the network.  Hell, I've never even gotten the -noBattlEye command to work :-(.

I really hope I can get this to work. . . .the holiday events are a lot of fun.  I have no regrets, even if I did have to redownload the content folder after Christmas.

I have some more stuff as well - I'm running multiple servers (only online when I am) so I also have commands to copy in the correct .ini-files before starting the server, but that's my command line. I'd be happy to hear if you got it to work!

So, you run a server from a .bat-file but you got the Christmas event working? How did you do that? I searched high and low for information but couldn't get it to work :/

2 minutes ago, Zahlea said:

I have some more stuff as well - I'm running multiple servers (only online when I am) so I also have commands to copy in the correct .ini-files before starting the server, but that's my command line. I'd be happy to hear if you got it to work!

So, you run a server from a .bat-file but you got the Christmas event working? How did you do that? I searched high and low for information but couldn't get it to work :/

There was TWO tricks to the Christmas Event.  You had to add a line to your CMD update file, update the server, THEN add a line to enable it on the start up batch file.

I'm still having issues getting it to work.  This is the full batch start up for me:

start ShooterGameServer TheIsland?listen?SessionName=******?ServerPassword=*****?ServerAdminPassword=******?
OverideStructurePlatformPrevention=true?OverrideOfficialDifficulty=6.0?DisableWeatherFog=true?
EnableExtraStructurePreventionVolumes=true?QueryPort=*****?MultiHome=******?AutoDestroyOldStructuresMultiplier=0?MaxPlayers=5?Port=*****?listen 
 -ActiveEvent=Easter -noBattlEye -ip ****** -port ****** -automanagedmods -nosteamclient -useallavailablecores -server -log -ForceRespawnDinos -game

exit

Any ideas would help.  The game is straight up ignoring a few options there.  It still uses fog (HATE YOU SO MUCH) on the Island, still starts up BattlEye (HATE YOU TOO), still has a max of 70 players.

It DOES use automanagedmods (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE YOU), it DOES override the difficulty so that I now have dinos up to 180 on the server, but I'm not sure if this is actually being read from the ini file since it's in the ini files too.

If I remove the bottom "-ip ****" (Stars represent an actual address) and corresponding port, the server disappears from the Steam server list, and my friends can't find it to play it.  Haven't tested the Structure stuff, but it seems to get auto-added.  The multihome and query port are for the internal network, so can't be removed either.  Maybe stuff is in the wrong location?

Any help would be appreciated.

7 minutes ago, Scrysis said:

There was TWO tricks to the Christmas Event.  You had to add a line to your CMD update file, update the server, THEN add a line to enable it on the start up batch file.

I'm still having issues getting it to work.  This is the full batch start up for me:

start ShooterGameServer TheIsland?listen?SessionName=******?ServerPassword=*****?ServerAdminPassword=******?
OverideStructurePlatformPrevention=true?OverrideOfficialDifficulty=6.0?DisableWeatherFog=true?
EnableExtraStructurePreventionVolumes=true?QueryPort=*****?MultiHome=******?AutoDestroyOldStructuresMultiplier=0?MaxPlayers=5?Port=*****?listen 
 -ActiveEvent=Easter -noBattlEye -ip ****** -port ****** -automanagedmods -nosteamclient -useallavailablecores -server -log -ForceRespawnDinos -game

exit

Any ideas would help.  The game is straight up ignoring a few options there.  It still uses fog (HATE YOU SO MUCH) on the Island, still starts up BattlEye (HATE YOU TOO), still has a max of 70 players.

It DOES use automanagedmods (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE YOU), it DOES override the difficulty so that I now have dinos up to 180 on the server, but I'm not sure if this is actually being read from the ini file since it's in the ini files too.

If I remove the bottom "-ip ****" (Stars represent an actual address) and corresponding port, the server disappears from the Steam server list, and my friends can't find it to play it.  Haven't tested the Structure stuff, but it seems to get auto-added.  The multihome and query port are for the internal network, so can't be removed either.  Maybe stuff is in the wrong location?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ah! That's it then - I'm not using Steam CMD so that's where I fell short: I couldn't work out how to get the event branch downloaded.

Unfortunately, I can be of very little help with your issues. But as I've understood it, the OverrideOfficialDifficulty is read from the .ini (that's where I have it, and I get max lvl 150 on the island without having it in my command line). I've also found that specifying MaxPlayers in the .ini has no effect - that's why I've added it to my command line where it actually does make a difference (I have max of 36 on my server). I don't know why your ?MaxPlayers=5 doesn't work. Have you tried moving it earlier in the command list? Or maybe moving ?listen to be the first command after the map name? Grasping at straws here, trying to find differences between your command line and mine, but of course it could depend on ini settings as well.

When friends are connecting to me, I give them my public ip (which I can get from sites such as whatismyip.com) and on my router, I have forwarded the ports that ARK uses to the private IP of the computer running the server. That seems to work - my friends can add the server in the Steam Server List by [Public IP]:[Port], but maybe your setup/network/ISP needs a different solution.

2 minutes ago, Zahlea said:

Ah! That's it then - I'm not using Steam CMD so that's where I fell short: I couldn't work out how to get the event branch downloaded.

Unfortunately, I can be of very little help with your issues. But as I've understood it, the OverrideOfficialDifficulty is read from the .ini (that's where I have it, and I get max lvl 150 on the island without having it in my command line). I've also found that specifying MaxPlayers in the .ini has no effect - that's why I've added it to my command line where it actually does make a difference (I have max of 36 on my server). I don't know why your ?MaxPlayers=5 doesn't work. Have you tried moving it earlier in the command list? Or maybe moving ?listen to be the first command after the map name? Grasping at straws here, trying to find differences between your command line and mine, but of course it could depend on ini settings as well.

When friends are connecting to me, I give them my public ip (which I can get from sites such as whatismyip.com) and on my router, I have forwarded the ports that ARK uses to the private IP of the computer running the server. That seems to work - my friends can add the server in the Steam Server List by [Public IP]:[Port], but maybe your setup/network/ISP needs a different solution.

Hey, anything I can get will help.  Are you running off of a hosted server?  Because if they allow you to manually update the server with launch options, you could probably still update as though you're using CMD (chances are that the hosted server is running CMD under the hood).

I'll try rearranging a few things.  You've given me a few more ideas, at least.  :-)

5 hours ago, Scrysis said:

We love the fun-colored dinos because it magically becomes a scavenger hunt for a little while.

3 hours ago, Zahlea said:

Scrysis, I'm with survivalservers.com, we have a checkbox in our control panel to enable it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Zahlea, I already knew all that, unfortunately that is the problem. I follow them around and they have laid MANY eggs but they are all normal eggs. Yes, they have the bunny ears on.

2 minutes ago, ClanTKC said:

Scrysis, I'm with survivalservers.com, we have a checkbox in our control panel to enable it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Zahlea, I already knew all that, unfortunately that is the problem. I follow them around and they have laid MANY eggs but they are all normal eggs. Yes, they have the bunny ears on.

Sorry I couldn't help then.

9 hours ago, Zahlea said:

Have a look at your dodos - if they don't have bunny ears and are called Wild Bunny Dodo, then they probably aren't effected.

I run a PC dedicated server and have the event running just fine. I have colored dinos and bunny dodos and oviraptors. I corralled a bunch of bunny dodos using some rare flowers (in order to keep the females near the male for the mate boost) and so far have collected 15 eggs from 4 wild females. None of them are easter eggs. So that 50% stat is either way off or the eggs are broken. 

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, geneticbits said:

I run a PC dedicated server and have the event running just fine. I have colored dinos and bunny dodos and oviraptors. I corralled a bunch of bunny dodos using some rare flowers (in order to keep the females near the male for the mate boost) and so far have collected 15 eggs from 4 wild females. None of them are easter eggs. So that 50% stat is either way off or the eggs are broken. 

50% doesn't necessarily mean you will get an easter egg every few eggs they drop. You could have a dodo drop 20 regular eggs and no easter eggs but it would still be 50% chance at dropping an easter egg.

I've had 21 easter eggs so far from 2 females and a ton of regular eggs.

Anyone know the spawn commmand for bunnydodos/oviraptor? I’m too lazy to follow them around and I was just gonna spawn some in a pen. I tried the command on the wiki but it didn’t work, unless I did it wrong.

Also, I’m not seeing any eggs yet, of any type. I put the egg laying interval at 0.2 but not a single egg. Is it bugged out, and if so should I just cheat in the items?

7 hours ago, GP said:

50% doesn't necessarily mean you will get an easter egg every few eggs they drop. You could have a dodo drop 20 regular eggs and no easter eggs but it would still be 50% chance at dropping an easter egg.

I've had 21 easter eggs so far from 2 females and a ton of regular eggs.

If each egg has a 50% chance of being an easter egg, then it also has a 50% chance to be a normal egg. Which means it's like flipping a coin. Each time you flip, it's a 50% chance to be heads (normal) or 50% tails (easter). The chance one flip is heads: 1/2. Two flips both heads: 1/4. Three flips, all heads: 1/8. Is it possible to get 15 'heads' in a row? Sure. Is it likely, no. It's 1/32,768. You even said you've gotten 21 easter eggs and a "ton" of regular eggs. If the chance of an egg being easter was 50% then for large numbers of eggs (15 total eggs is admittedly a small sample size), you'd have equal numbers of easter and normal eggs. So unless your "ton" means (approximately) 21, it just further validates the assumption that the 50% stat is bogus. Again, it could just be due to small sample size. I've finally gotten a couple easter eggs, but I'm not convinced on the 50% rate.

6 hours ago, RowletAlex said:

Anyone know the spawn commmand for bunnydodos/oviraptor? I’m too lazy to follow them around and I was just gonna spawn some in a pen. I tried the command on the wiki but it didn’t work, unless I did it wrong.

Also, I’m not seeing any eggs yet, of any type. I put the egg laying interval at 0.2 but not a single egg. Is it bugged out, and if so should I just cheat in the items?

Spawn regular dodos, they show up as bunny dodos. I tried spawning in an oviraptor to hopefully get my wild bunny dodos to lay more eggs (not sure if it works that way or not, but I figured it was worth a shot) and it came in as a bunny oviraptor. So I spawned a dodo... it was a bunny dodo.

admincheat summon Dodo_Character_BP_C

OMG, duh! Thanks for that! After a relog the natural bunnydodos finally began laying, so now I can make an egg farm and put eggshell helmets on all my dinos, hehehe.

So far the Easter event is really fun, got a nice orange turtle with a blue shell, a parasaur that looks like the Easter bunny decided to poop funfetti cake all over it, and a REALLY nice light blue iguanodon, and I’ve seen loads of others, though nothing’s really caught my eye otherwise (except for a nice blue chalico outside my base, I might start a brewery so I can tame it) Hoping to find a good procoptodon or bear soon, and maybe an argy.

I hope that we’ll be getting cooler events from now on (COUGH COUGH HALLOWEEN VAMPIRES AND WEREWOLVES COUGH COUGH) but so far this seems pretty promising. I hope they keep the unique colored dinos, because honestly I find they’re the best part of the events, other than the skins (hopefully the other seasonal skins revert to being seasonal so they’re actually fun to get and don’t crowd your inventory every time you die) 

5 hours ago, geneticbits said:

If each egg has a 50% chance of being an easter egg, then it also has a 50% chance to be a normal egg. Which means it's like flipping a coin. Each time you flip, it's a 50% chance to be heads (normal) or 50% tails (easter). The chance one flip is heads: 1/2. Two flips both heads: 1/4. Three flips, all heads: 1/8. Is it possible to get 15 'heads' in a row? Sure. Is it likely, no. It's 1/32,768. You even said you've gotten 21 easter eggs and a "ton" of regular eggs. If the chance of an egg being easter was 50% then for large numbers of eggs (15 total eggs is admittedly a small sample size), you'd have equal numbers of easter and normal eggs. So unless your "ton" means (approximately) 21, it just further validates the assumption that the 50% stat is bogus. Again, it could just be due to small sample size. I've finally gotten a couple easter eggs, but I'm not convinced on the 50% rate.

I have had roughly 50% easter eggs from the bunny dodos, or even more! Lured some into a pen and some runs I get more easter eggs and some, I get more regular eggs. I'm inclined towards it working properly (especially since it's not a complex system). Considering how many players ARK has, some survivors are bound to find significantly more of one or the other. Add to that the human bias where it's very easy to feel that an actual ratio of 50% easter eggs is much less since the easter eggs are the desired ones: i.e. the "disappointment" of a regular egg weighs more than the "happiness" of easter eggs meaning the "disappointment side" is heavier even though that's not a true reflection of the reality.

Archived