Breeding dino army for Rockwell, and other bosses too.

DonaldDuck

Can anyone share your dinoes army specifications for fighting Rockwell and other bosses? Like back in the days when I was playing on Ragnarok server, people were talking about their victory with these rexes stats, 500 melee dmg and 35000 HP. And what wild lvl stats is sufficient to reach that. Highest I ever heard ppl talk was 11k HP rex and 360 melee rex.

So based on that I'd say something like this :

Map : Ragnarok

Boss : .......I don;t know what the boss name is

Dinoes :

REX (bred and leveled) : 35,000 HP, 500 melee  ;  REX (stats from wild for breeding) : 11k HP, 360 melee

DAEDON ?????

YUTY ?????

Is that really possible ? as far as I remember, from my 8 rexes ranging from 120-150 wild, after tamed they only have like 6-8k HP, while melee dmg is 230-290. 

I want to know for Rockwell, Aberration. But if you have any info for others that'd be great for future reference.

Map : Aberration

Boss : Rockwell

Dinoes :

SPINO (bred and leveled) : ? HP, ? melee ; SPINO (stats from wild for breeding) : ? HP, 295 melee ( dunno if this is sufficient but that's my highest from the tames I have so far, only 2 btw)

ROCK DRAKE : highest lv egg as possible, ? HP, ? Dmg

FEATHERLIGHT : for charge light.

MEGALOSAURUS (bred and leveled) : ? HP, ? melee ; MEGALOSAURUS (stats from wild for breeding) : ? HP, ? melee

Something like that. Or whatever works. Or if there are similar threads already please link it here too.

I have seen a video where Rockwell was beat with just stegos and light pets as tames. The rest were just geared players shotgunning him from their backs. I don't think the stegos had all that much health either just really good saddles. As for Ragnarok you should bring a yuty that has good hp and stamina and a good saddle, rexes with at least 30k hp and 400-500 melee and good saddles. The brunt of the damage is due to the dragons fire (which theris are resistant against so you can substitute out rexes for them) and getting unmounted dinos killed by golems. It is possible for one player to tank/kite the golems away at the cost of overall dps to the manticore. 

Do note that Dragon heavily punishes extremely high HP pools, as it's flame does %health damage.

First of all, note that you are going to need an entirely seperate team for Rockwell in comparision to all other boss fights.

Also note that for Rockwell, high melee is more effective then high health, as you want to down the tentacles and nameless fast.

Now, specifically for Rockwell, you are somewhat limited in what dinos you can bring in - There are no Rexes, Yutys, and Daedons available, which are pretty much what makes up every single other bossing team in the game.

So, we have a few viable Dino's for Rockwell, lets go over them.

First - Spinos. Out of all of the Aberration dinos currently available, Spinos are the ONLY one who can be both breed, AND don't have a derpy AI hampering their unridden preformance. Your primary concern for Spinos is going to be getting a good, 100+ armor saddle, and then pumping them to a reasonable amount of health, and extremely high melee.

Second - Reapers. They have the best damage output, and they make up for their low damage reduction with a high health pool. Again though, the inability to really breed Reapers will limit their upper layer preformance - You may eventually be able to get a 60/60 health/damage Spino (Or even better with luck), but a Reaper with a base 50/50 H/D is extremely unlikely.

Third - Megalosaurs. While they basically have Rex-like stats, their derpy AI makes them attempt to grab ungrabbale bosses, thus hampering their overall damage out. They do, however, make for excellent tanks for Rockwell.

For the Rock Drake, it has fairly low damage output due to its slow attack speed, and, again, is unable to be breed.

For the Karkinos and Basilisk, they will forever be a sub-par choice due to their inability to breed, period, not to mention Radiation poisoning

So, really, you have 3 choices.

1 - Extremely high damage output in the form of Spinos, especially after the TLC buff. Do note, however, that they are the squishiest of the 3 options.

2 - Immense damage output in the form of Reapers, but you'll take much more damage per hit, so you don't want to tank with them!

3 - High tankiness via Megalosaurs, but their derpiness lowers their damage output below that of Spinos and Reapers.

Other mentions for Rockwell include...

1 - Roll Rats. Their ability to consume veggie cakes, combined with their high baseline stats make them a plausible alternative. Do note that you'll need to feed them mushroom brews.

2 - Giganotopithicus - If you have an excellent Riot Helmet with high durability and defense, Bigfoots deal a stupid amount of damage and are extremely tough, especially when combined with veggie cakes.

3 - Direbears. I do not suggest them, but they have very high damage output. Their low health pool is a problem though.

Now, you'll also probably want Charge of some sort - Charge lantern is best as you don't have to waste a slot on a charge pet that way. Just kill the tentacles, clear adds, and down Rockwell!

Interesting reads.

How about the actual stats for the spino army ? Judging from the Spinos parked in other players' bases, I think Spino is the dino of choice many people use for Rockwell.

Like how much HP minimum or recommended and how much dmg ? I'd guess dmg is the same as rexes on other map which is 400-500, but the HP of spino seems lower than rex.

Getting High Level Spinos for breeding stock is also much easier than the other dinoes, I often kill them for exp along the river and I always see one or two high level ranging from120-145.

Now, for other bosses...

The general setup is 1 Yutyrannus for the damage reduction buff/damage buff, and 1 Daedon for healing (Two if you don't feel like farming hundreds of dodo kibble) and 17-18 "filler" Dinos.

For Filler, there are currently 2 contenders - Rexes (High damage output, and best health pool), and Therizinos (Best recovery via sweet veggie cakes, damage and toughness isn't far behind Rexes).

Additional contenders include..

Megatherium (Only for the Broodmother and Center fights, the bug rage boost makes those fights a piece of cake)

Spinos (Best damage output, but squishy)

Wyverns/Argents/Quetzals (Scorched Earth Manticore only)

For stats, note that you will want a high armor saddle for doing Alpha (So 100+ armor), regardless of the Dino you are bringing in. Health vs Melee's effectiveness can vary, although for the Dragon, immensely high health is detrimental - 10-15k is the sweet spot for allowing your Daedon's to heal through the fire damage. More then that, and your Daedon's can no longer keep up with the incoming damage output. 35k HP means you are taking THREE times as much damage from fire compared to just having 15k health! Whats more, investing heavily in melee allows you to significantly reduce the time spent fighting, which means less damage taken, and less risk of dying.

Physical damage on these fights is greatly reduced - You have significant reduction from armor, as well as from mate boosts and Yuty. So the Alpha Monkey's nearly 2k damage rock toss will only wind up doing 300 or so damage to your dinos.

So, main things..

1 - Acquire a great saddle for your chosen filler dino.

2 - Go out and tame dinos. Look for high health and melee values. 11k health/360% damage on birth is basically around 45/45 h/d for a Rex. If you manage to get 60/60, you basically can do alpha.

3 - If you want to test your raiding party, go kill a Titanosaur, as it's damage and health values are similar to that of Beta bosses. It merely has no additional mechanics/adds. If you fail, you can recover your saddles.

4 - For the player riding the Daedon, you want to use either an Assault Rifle, or a Compound Bow.

5 - Level up your dinos! Note that if you have one other person in your tribe, you can have them sit on the Rexes while you run the Industrial Grinder, and you can quickly lvl up 40 lvls per Rex that way. Bonus points for having a Lystro AND enlightment broth during a 2x weekend!

Thats pretty much it. Megatheriums make Broodmother cheese, flying dinos make SE Manticore cheese.

For Rockwell, we use Rock Drakes (10k - 15k HP, 1k Stam) with 70+ armor saddles and 200+ dmg shotguns (with 400 shots per player to be safe). Split the players into teams, assign each team to a certain number of tentacles. If your ppl know what to do (e. g. evade tentacles, etc) and don't mess around, Rockwell is really easy to defeat.

But as Frogspoison already pointed out, you cannot use Rockwell setups for other bosses effectively.

17 minutes ago, DonaldDuck said:

Interesting reads.

How about the actual stats for the spino army ? Judging from the Spinos parked in other players' bases, I think Spino is the dino of choice many people use for Rockwell.

Like how much HP minimum or recommended and how much dmg ? I'd guess dmg is the same as rexes on other map which is 400-500, but the HP of spino seems lower than rex.

Getting High Level Spinos for breeding stock is also much easier than the other dinoes, I often kill them for exp along the river and I always see one or two high level ranging from120-145.

The main thing I tend to have an issue with, is that players tend to focus WAAY too much on HP when you have Daedon's. Daedons regen 200 health a second for as long as they have food, and with a poop-ton of Dodo kibble, you can basically keep the Daedon up on food while it heals.

With a 45/45 h/d Rex, Getting to 35k HP requires 31 lvl-ups. This leaves you 40 lvl ups to put into melee, putting you at only 780% melee damage. Note that the final 10 or so levels on a dino each take as long as the previous 60 levels together! So really you are around 600% melee damage.

On the other hand, getting only 15k health, allowing your Daedon to do it's healing, and having high saddle armor along with the Yuty and mate-boosting (Plus imprints on ridden dinos), allows you to get 1000% melee at max level, doubling your damage output! And you only need 3 health lvl-ups to get 15k health from 11k base.

The faster you can down the boss, the less amount of damage the boss outputs overall, and the lesser chance you have of messing up at some point in time. If you want to be a bit on the safer side, you can invest an additional 7 lvls into health, bringing you to 20k HP - You won't take too much extra damage from the fire breath on the Dragon, and hard-hitters like the Monkey won't be as worrisome.

4 minutes ago, Finall said:

For Rockwell, we use Rock Drakes (10k - 15k HP, 1k Stam) with 70+ armor saddles and 200+ dmg shotguns (with 400 shots per player to be safe). Split the players into teams, assign each team to a certain number of tentacles. If your ppl know what to do (e. g. evade tentacles, etc) and don't mess around, Rockwell is really easy to defeat.

But as Frogspoison already pointed out, you cannot use Rockwell setups for other bosses effectively.

I see, so standard high level Rock Drake for egg run can be used, got a journeyman pumped up shotgun with 200+ dmg, gotta work on finding the saddle. 

@Frogspoison What's your minimum wild level dino you usually tame for breeding stock ? Is 120 ok or skip ? 

And why people always look at how many is the stat leveled up instead of looking directly at the number of the stat like 45/45 or 60/60 instead of x HP or x dmg. Isn't the increase % from wild and tamed value per level different ? I've spent like 2k hours in this game but only play casually, but looking at my tames I never seen one with that many levelups on one stat. Mostly 15-30 wild from dododex, hardly ever use ark smart breeding for the overall though. Is that 45/45 or 60/60 from both wild+domesticated lvl or just wild ?

4 minutes ago, Frogspoison said:

The main thing I tend to have an issue with, is that players tend to focus WAAY too much on HP when you have Daedon's. Daedons regen 200 health a second for as long as they have food, and with a poop-ton of Dodo kibble, you can basically keep the Daedon up on food while it heals.

With a 45/45 h/d Rex, Getting to 35k HP requires 31 lvl-ups. This leaves you 40 lvl ups to put into melee, putting you at only 780% melee damage. Note that the final 10 or so levels on a dino each take as long as the previous 60 levels together! So really you are around 600% melee damage.

On the other hand, getting only 15k health, allowing your Daedon to do it's healing, and having high saddle armor along with the Yuty and mate-boosting (Plus imprints on ridden dinos), allows you to get 1000% melee at max level, doubling your damage output! And you only need 3 health lvl-ups to get 15k health from 11k base.

The faster you can down the boss, the less amount of damage the boss outputs overall, and the lesser chance you have of messing up at some point in time. If you want to be a bit on the safer side, you can invest an additional 7 lvls into health, bringing you to 20k HP - You won't take too much extra damage from the fire breath on the Dragon, and hard-hitters like the Monkey won't be as worrisome.

Damn , using all 71 levelups  ? isn't that like 2.5 MILLION exp ? Even my active Rock Drake that I use everyday still hasn't reached 50 levelups lol, maybe 47. And still have to level up the filler dinoes to max 71 levelup points with 2.5 million exp each ? OMG.

How long does it take to gather all those necessary for beating the boss, from farming BPs for saddle/weapon and breeding the perfect dinoes, on top of that still need to max their levels ? (and in the end can still lose the dinoes) 

1 minute ago, DonaldDuck said:

I see, so standard high level Rock Drake for egg run can be used, got a journeyman pumped up shotgun with 200+ dmg, gotta work on finding the saddle. 

@Frogspoison What's your minimum wild level dino you usually tame for breeding stock ? Is 120 ok or skip ? 

And why people always look at how many is the stat leveled up instead of looking directly at the number of the stat like 45/45 or 60/60 instead of x HP or x dmg. Isn't the increase % from wild and tamed value per level different ? I've spent like 2k hours in this game but only play casually, but looking at my tames I never seen one with that many levelups on one stat. Mostly 15-30 wild from dododex, hardly ever use ark smart breeding for the overall though. Is that 45/45 or 60/60 from both wild+domesticated lvl or just wild ?

It's basically Wild, or what you get when it comes out of the egg. So 45/45 is 45 wild lvls in health, 45 wild lvls in melee.

Depending at what point you are at... If you don't have a decent Spino stock right now (Lets say they hatch with below-30 lvls in health or damage) I'll knock out everything above 100 to take a look at it's stats. If you have the time, you can go lower, and if you don't have as much time, you can go higher. Note that a lvl 100 CAN, potentially, have up to 99 lvls in Health or Damage, although that's something like one in a few billion chance of happening. It is somewhat likely for a lvl 100 to have closer to 40-50 lvls in a single stat though - I generally get a ~40 stat dino out of every 15 or so wild's I knock out above 100, though is often in something like Oxy, speed, or food. 150s are closer to 1 every 10. 50+ is pretty rare though, I've only managed to find a very few 50+, mostly in stamina or food.

14 minutes ago, DonaldDuck said:

And of course light pets. Doesn't really matter whether Bulbdogs, Featherlights or Glowtails, just make sure they have enough charge capacity to last the whole duration of the fight.

1 minute ago, DonaldDuck said:

Damn , using all 71 levelups  ? isn't that like 2.5 MILLION exp ? Even my active Rock Drake that I use everyday still hasn't reached 50 levelups lol, maybe 47. And still have to level up the filler dinoes to max 71 levelup points with 2.5 million exp each ? OMG.

How long does it take to gather all those necessary for beating the boss, from farming BPs for saddle/weapon and breeding the perfect dinoes, on top of that still need to max their levels ? (and in the end can still lose the dinoes) 

Hrmm. I would start with the Ragnarok fight first - This gives you Tek Troughs, which makes breeding much, MUCH easier to do. So you can breed a full 20 dinos in a single weekend. You only need do to gamma Ragnarok too at that. Maybe Beta for the Tek Transmitter, which will allow you to easily transfer things to and from Ragnarok and Aberration.

For the XP, it's significantly easier with 2+ people. You know the Industrial Grinder? Go farming the smart way (Weight-heavy Karkinos/Quetzal, depending on map, along with another person using a high-melee Doed/Mammoth. Gather a full 300 inventory full of stone/wood. Put it in the grinder, and start making flint or thatch. Note that the XP given is the same for equal amounts of wood or stone, its just that stone gives you it twice as fast. This gives you 60k XP during regular times. One person starts up the grinder, and then goes about crafting and whatnot, making sure to keep the grinder running. The other person just hops on a mount and AFKs. Do note that you can use further XP multipliers. The dino basically absorbs the XP the player is supposed to get. So, you can use a Lystro, for an additional 50% XP, and the person in question can drink an Enlightment Broth, for 150% XP multiplier. Note that these are multiplicative, so during a 2x weekend, you are getting 450k XP per full doed/mammoth of stone/wood. Multiple grinders makes it go faster, although I wouldn't bother past 3 since it just becomes a cluttered mess at that point.

So, maximizing your time...

First, find a great saddle. 100+armor is best, but 70 armor will suffice for Gamma. This will take an indeterminite amount of time, since it's completely RNG.

Secondly, start knocking out every high-lvl dino that you want to do bosses with you come across above a certain level. If you are a tribe of 3 ppl, you want one person running around looking for the high lvls, while the other 2 just slaughter every single dino in the area they spawn at to force respawns. More respawns=more higher levels, my tribe averaged about 15 or so 150s an hour with this, not mentioning the many, MANY 130+.

Once you have your higher stat breeds, start breeding them. 2 dinos become 3, 3 dinos become 4, 4 dinos generally become 6, and it increases exponentially. Once you hit your 17-18 good, decent stock, get a number of extra eggs, just in case. Grab your Daedon/Yuty, lvl 150, no breedingreally needed, and a primitive saddle is fine.

Make your excellent saddles, gather the artifacts (On Ragnarok, this can be done in a day), and do Gamma Ragnarok boss. Get Tek trough+generator.

Now you are pretty much set. You may have to do Gamma an additional time for the element to run the generator, but you basically just run the generator whenever you are doing massive breeding, you breed your full set of dinos over each weekend. Saddles become the main pain-in-the-ass - A full set of Rexes can be done with just 4 hours invested each weekend with a tek trough, but a full set of Saddles if you lose them requires hundreds of thousands of metal, fiber and hide.

For Aberration, just replace Rexes with Spinos - Spinos raise faster then Rexes, so it's less time invested. Finding higher level Spinos will take quite some time on Aberration though, since Aberrration really, REALLY likes to have high concentration of low-lvl dinos.

2 minutes ago, Finall said:

And of course light pets. Doesn't really matter whether Bulbdogs, Featherlights or Glowtails, just make sure they have enough charge capacity to last the whole duration of the fight.

and what is the stats like,capacity/regen ? I usually only level up to 1000 charge capacity max, the rest into regen. So it won't take too long to regen for the auto.

11 minutes ago, Frogspoison said:

It's basically Wild, or what you get when it comes out of the egg. So 45/45 is 45 wild lvls in health, 45 wild lvls in melee.

Depending at what point you are at... If you don't have a decent Spino stock right now (Lets say they hatch with below-30 lvls in health or damage) I'll knock out everything above 100 to take a look at it's stats. If you have the time, you can go lower, and if you don't have as much time, you can go higher. Note that a lvl 100 CAN, potentially, have up to 99 lvls in Health or Damage, although that's something like one in a few billion chance of happening. It is somewhat likely for a lvl 100 to have closer to 40-50 lvls in a single stat though - I generally get a ~40 stat dino out of every 15 or so wild's I knock out above 100, though is often in something like Oxy, speed, or food. 150s are closer to 1 every 10. 50+ is pretty rare though, I've only managed to find a very few 50+, mostly in stamina or food.

I see,  can't be too picky much then, since even the lower level can be a lucky one.  If 50+ is pretty rare , so the 60/60 you mentioned is combined with the domesticated level from taming effectiveness ? 

5 minutes ago, DonaldDuck said:

and what is the stats like,capacity/regen ? I usually only level up to 1000 charge capacity max, the rest into regen. So it won't take too long to regen for the auto.

I see,  can't be too picky much then, since even the lower level can be a lucky one.  If 50+ is pretty rare , so the 60/60 you mentioned is combined with the domesticated level from taming effectiveness ? 

The 60/60 is from legacy tribes/mega tribes who can spend far, FAR more time then casual players do, so they can go through enough dinos to the point that finding a 60/60, or even better, is more of a matter of time then possibility. I remember seeing a screenshot some time back of a person with a Rex who, on officials, had 81 health, 86 melee on their breeds.

Also note that as you continually breed new dinos, mutations will happen, which can grant up to 40 extra lvls of stats. If you pay attention, you can make sure that the mutations favor health or damage, thus allowing you to reach numbers that require winning the lottery to reach otherwise!

A little bit of clarification on Wild vs Domesticated lvls in terms of stats - Note that Wild levels (Before you put ANY level ups into the dino) are static - Spinos, for instance, gain 140 health per wild level in health. With 50 wild levels in health, a Spino will have 7700 health.

Domesticated levels, however (After you tamed it, 71 lvls) are scaling- Each level up will add a percentage of the wild stat to the dino, depending on the dino. Spinos, for instance, get 10% of their base health per domesticated level, so a Spino with 50 wild levles in health will get 770 health per domesticated level up.

Finally, you have imprinting, which increases the stats of a dino by a percentage. With a 100% imprint, Health is increased by 20%. So a fulling imprinted Spino with 50 lvls wild health will have 9240 HP, and will gain 924 HP per level up spent in health.

This is why wild levels are so important, as the higher their base is, the better off your own dinos will be!

@Frogspoison  I see, reading all that makes me remember. I ever been in a tribe with pro people, it's really impressive how they worked in tandem taming dinoes, no way a solo player or even 2 ppl working separately can do what they do. And so that's the secret of maximizing dino level. 

23 minutes ago, Frogspoison said:

A little bit of clarification on Wild vs Domesticated lvls in terms of stats - Note that Wild levels (Before you put ANY level ups into the dino) are static - Spinos, for instance, gain 140 health per wild level in health. With 50 wild levels in health, a Spino will have 7700 health.

Domesticated levels, however (After you tamed it, 71 lvls) are scaling- Each level up will add a percentage of the wild stat to the dino, depending on the dino. Spinos, for instance, get 10% of their base health per domesticated level, so a Spino with 50 wild levles in health will get 770 health per domesticated level up.

Finally, you have imprinting, which increases the stats of a dino by a percentage. With a 100% imprint, Health is increased by 20%. So a fulling imprinted Spino with 50 lvls wild health will have 9240 HP, and will gain 924 HP per level up spent in health.

This is why wild levels are so important, as the higher their base is, the better off your own dinos will be!

Yea and I found out about that just recently after I tamed a ravager with 900 base weight I was curious how come this ravager has so much weight even though it's a fresh tame, so now I understand how bred dino can have insane stats. Even more impressed after breeding it. 

About level, I thought there are 3 kinds of level, wild 5-150, domesticated level is the level from taming effectiveness max is +74, and tamed levelup +71. Or is the level that I thought was domesticated level is still considered as WILD ?  Because wild stats after knocked out and after tamed is also different, dododex only covers the stat calculator after KO-ed, while Ark Smart Breeding app is used for after tame.

Taming effectiveness is odd, and despite ARK being out now for quite some time, the exact details of what exactly it does, besides give extra, seemingly random levels, isn't well known. It has, however, been shown to be irrelevant when it comes to breeding, as even if you get 2 0 effectiveness, lvl 150 dinos with identical stats, the baby will still be born with 100% effectiveness, at lvl 225.

On 3/22/2018 at 6:02 PM, Frogspoison said:

Taming effectiveness is odd, and despite ARK being out now for quite some time, the exact details of what exactly it does, besides give extra, seemingly random levels, isn't well known. It has, however, been shown to be irrelevant when it comes to breeding, as even if you get 2 0 effectiveness, lvl 150 dinos with identical stats, the baby will still be born with 100% effectiveness, at lvl 225.

So if for example, I knocked down a lv 150 spino, even if it gets hit by a raptor while I'm taming it and ended up with 0 bonus level and tamed as a lv 150 spino without bonus lvl. It won't matter for breeding because the offspring will still get full breeding stat value as if it was tamed with 100% TE. Only if that exact dino is going to be used then the TE is important.

I think I get it now, I misunderstood what a mod  ever told me earlier in other thread. I thought since the sum of lvl up points from each stat equal to dino level then level from TE will be important, but the formula for the stats used on the offspring is using taming bonus stats with 100% TE. So technically it ignores the TE gained from taming  and replace it with 100%.

This also answers my earlier question why people prefer to use how many times a stat is leveled up instead of the real number like x HP and x MeleeDmg.

-Edit-

I think you're mistaken regarding this one, TE does matter for getting extra wild level points, and this extra wild lvl points from TE also get boosted by taming bonus, makes it even more important for maximizing the base stats. I did a test the other day and level from TE is considered as WILD LEVEL, so aside from the max 150 wild level, there is also an extra of +74 wild levels depending on TE.

TestDoed copy.jpg

3 hours ago, Novawiz00 said:

Has anyone ever tried a paracer with a platform saddle and have turrets on it? Maybe leave a couple Dino’s following it to protect it. 

Official does not let you build turrets on platforms anymore.
I have done this in dedicated but not in boss fights, just for general fun exploring the Red zone.

Paracer is too heavy to take to the boss battle.

I've done alpha rag multiple times, and alpha rockwell.  

Alpha rag is Rexes with 27khp and 700-800 MD, a yuty, and 1-2 pigs.  Use shotguns while manticore is in the air.

Alpha rockwell is an attrition fight.  Stegos to tank, crabs to give yourself mobility and tankyness, and shotguns.  A few lightpets to kill reapers.  Stegos will hold the reapers in place and kill nameless.  Max dmg shotguns with 2 people minimum.  All damage on boss comes from shotguns.  A reaper is too squishy (I know, I tried that) and not worth it.  More people + more shotguns = less stress.  One of our tribemates runs through with a rockdrake for faster tentacle clears.  

Otherwise, I've heard of somebody soloing rockwell with highbred spinos.

Archived