is it me, or new argents are oversized chickens

OttoGrunf

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly think the new argy changes are very good, and I for one like it’s upright stance, which is WAY more accurate for a vulturine bird like argentavis. Here are some pictures of it’s closest living relatives:2D60FCEB-2153-4466-A5A6-3DDA328D6719.thumb.jpeg.ff9cfb12a4147977671a20019248efc0.jpeg This is the black vulture, the second most common of the North American vultures (the most common being the Turkey Vulture) As you can see it has an upright stance similar to the current argy, if not identical.

6B064CBD-5C83-459E-A0F8-2C6CE388E5F9.thumb.jpeg.5e63e9ad0f23a0d9cd36b44223bdeb38.jpeg

And here’s an Andean condor, an even closer relative to Argentavis, who also has the upright stance. 

I couldn’t fit any other photos in currently, so look up a condor in flight, and you’ll see that the large wings and small body the current argy has is totally accurate and very normal for vultures.

Also look up the Lappet-faced vulture, which is what the in-game argy is likely based on (and coincidentally the genus the SE vulture is placed in) These however are not very closely related to the New World vultures, and thus not very closely related to argentavis, but I think that the large beak is a reasonable creative liberty the modelers took. At least it’s still based off of SOME kind of vulture, right?

All in all I think the new argy is great, scientifically accurate, and pretty dang cool looking and SUPER useful. Just need to fix the bugs with carrying certain creatures and the smithy-saddle, and it’s perfect. And to all those who think it looks like a chicken: Have you ever seen a real chicken bro? They have big chests, big bodies, relatively short necks, and very small wings, unlike the argy. Vultures don’t really resemble chickens much aside from the obvious fact that they’re both birds.

I think the chicken-thing comes from the feathers on it's head. I don't have the right words in english to describe what I mean.

It also looks kind of fluffy overall, that might add a "friendly" touch that doesn't really fit.

I can't put my finger on that "thing" that makes me think of pidgeons when I see argies. It's not the animation, not the front view. It's when I look at it from the side.

On 3/21/2018 at 10:06 PM, prodigy1202 said:

I like the way that the Argy looks now. In response to the claim that the previous Argentavis model was more scientifically accurate I have to say...no. The previous model irl would not have been able to take flight at all. It's body was WAY too big. The current Argy is more anatomically accurate than the previous. In terms of my opinion I love the new Argy.

If you are referring to my post, that is what I said, the new model is more scientifically accurate.

11 hours ago, Weiss said:

I think the chicken-thing comes from the feathers on it's head.

This touches on the one minor criticism I have with the model.  The forehead ruff of feathers is slightly, well, I suppose awkward would be the correct word.

I get why it's there, many birds have a somewhat distinctive forehead patch of feathers (which might have something to do with GP's parrot comment), but there is something about it's shape or texture that draws a little too much attention to itself.  This is further emphasized by the way the color patterns are laid out, with that patch often being a distinctly different color than the rest of the head.

Again, this is a very minor criticism...  it really doesn't bother me in any way and falls firmly into a design choice category not a bug/defect/problem category, but I do tend to notice it.  So in all fairness I'll point it out.

On 3/21/2018 at 11:21 AM, AngrySaltire said:

I prefer the idea of a giant eagle over a giant vulture

Strongly agree. Argent new/old cool, Griffin really like but just doesn't do it for me. Still really want a giant war eagle or falcon. A flying killing machine that's agile and not clumsy and isn't a wyvern. That can be imprinted on and fast. Actually good AI for fighting in the air without being ridden and has a saddle. No flying around in circles with it's target. No purpose for hauling or scouting but killing and spreading fear. So not a ptera, not an argent, not a wyvern, not a quetz, not a griffin, but a eagle/falcon that is like a fighter jet of the sky. Don't care if it can pick up people or not.

On 22/03/2018 at 4:52 AM, edandbunny said:

I am 50/50 on the argy changes. Like others here I will likely start calling them pigeons. The longer neck and the head tuft are a bit much. Beyond that, I do agree they needed some serious help. They were much too stiff and looking down at a wild argy walking they looked like cockroaches. I do like the beak carry ability, and the weight reduction on certain items  will make things nice. Unfortunately that weight reduction now makes the quetz  more in need for some TLC love.

The cockroach comparison made me laugh. I only now realised, how accurate it is :D Their chubby bodies used to make them look kinda cute, though. The new argy model is no where near cute. But I should admit, I started liking it a bit more after some time. Especially after realising, that the new model is more anatomically accurate, according to modern knowledge about how these birds used to look like.

12 minutes ago, MotherOfRaptors said:

The cockroach comparison made me laugh. I only now realised, how accurate it is :D Their chubby bodies used to make them look kinda cute, though. The new argy model is no where near cute. But I should admit, I started liking it a bit more after some time. Especially after realising, that the new model is more anatomically accurate, according to modern knowledge about how these birds used to look like.

My nephew told me he likes the new Argents because the old Argents walked like Baymax and the new ones walk like birds. lol

On 3/22/2018 at 8:35 PM, RowletAlex said:

I honestly think the new argy changes are very good, and I for one like it’s upright stance, which is WAY more accurate for a vulturine bird like argentavis. Here are some pictures of it’s closest living relatives:2D60FCEB-2153-4466-A5A6-3DDA328D6719.thumb.jpeg.ff9cfb12a4147977671a20019248efc0.jpeg This is the black vulture, the second most common of the North American vultures (the most common being the Turkey Vulture) As you can see it has an upright stance similar to the current argy, if not identical.

6B064CBD-5C83-459E-A0F8-2C6CE388E5F9.thumb.jpeg.5e63e9ad0f23a0d9cd36b44223bdeb38.jpeg

And here’s an Andean condor, an even closer relative to Argentavis, who also has the upright stance. 

I couldn’t fit any other photos in currently, so look up a condor in flight, and you’ll see that the large wings and small body the current argy has is totally accurate and very normal for vultures.

Also look up the Lappet-faced vulture, which is what the in-game argy is likely based on (and coincidentally the genus the SE vulture is placed in) These however are not very closely related to the New World vultures, and thus not very closely related to argentavis, but I think that the large beak is a reasonable creative liberty the modelers took. At least it’s still based off of SOME kind of vulture, right?

All in all I think the new argy is great, scientifically accurate, and pretty dang cool looking and SUPER useful. Just need to fix the bugs with carrying certain creatures and the smithy-saddle, and it’s perfect. And to all those who think it looks like a chicken: Have you ever seen a real chicken bro? They have big chests, big bodies, relatively short necks, and very small wings, unlike the argy. Vultures don’t really resemble chickens much aside from the obvious fact that they’re both birds.

I agree  with you. Even though I like the old Argies better. These new ones fit the vulture look a lot better.... Good job guys !!!

Archived