This Raporting Raptors!

Frogspoison

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
On March 21, 2018 at 12:23 AM, Frogspoison said:

So, I was reading the TLC notes, and saw the Raptor section. I thought "Oh, cool Raptors got a decent buff.". At the time, I was more thinking along the lines of tamed raptors, because surely WCS wouldn't make wild Raptors, long known as the bane of noobs, but a speed bump as soon as you get bolas, an actual threat? Boy, was I wrong.

I take my Bear out to do my weekly meat run. A raptoring Raptor pounces on me, knocking me off the mount. Fortunately, my Bear can kill even 150 mate boosted raptors with a single strike, but what if it was an Alpha Raptor? What if there was a Rex along with the Raptor? I'd be dead, that's what.

And for newbs, running around on their not-as-damaging tames? Absolutely devastated by this change I'd reckon. I'm not looking forward to Extinction, because wild Raptoring Raptors will remain a nuisance ALL the raptoring time!

Please remove Wild Raptor's ability to knock players off their mount!

No offense, but you SHOULD be dead trying to fight an alpha raptor on a bear...  I'd suggest a more hearty meat run animal personally, of if you are having problems, try using a flyer.

2 hours ago, D4u2s0t said:

Then what is the complaint?  You're surely not saying fighting alphas on a low level bear is a good idea, right?   Or even regular raptors when you're on a weak mount?  

Complaint? I was just correcting your statement of he SHOULD be dead fighting an alpha raptor on a bear. And yes, even a lvl 50 tamed bear will chew through alpha raptors. And is there a mount weaker than a raptor XD. Maybe if i had a parasaur a raptor would beat me lol.

Alpha raptors have a very low health pool for an alpha and cannot pin you. Moral of my input, Direbear > any raptor. Unless were talking like lvl 15 tames or some nonsense thats not worth the effort of taming.

The raptor pounce is great, i love it, and honestly  see no issue with it. Even while out farming. Set your farming mount to neutral go about your day If you get pounced your mount will kill it in a few hits. Another solution is have a argentavis(reduced carry weight on  almost everything and mobility) or some other dino as back up to ensure your survival I always wear flak or anything with armor  atleast 80 or higher so a raptor pounce still only barely damages me, even when i go out armorless a raptor half the time does no damage to me during a pounce cause when they pounce their mouth isnt lined up and doesnt count as a hit. So i say yeah this is a great feature.

I redownloaded the game 2 months ago and I can say from a "new" player's perspective that raptor are absolute hell to deal with. Even with 200-300HP, just one of them can kill you with 1 pounce, forget about surviving against a pack.

I am currently level 75 and while I don't care much anymore, it's still a nuisance to see one. They charge at you full speed, pounce and you are required to wait until they get off you to do anything despite having a sword strong enough to kill them in a matter of seconds.

16 hours ago, D4u2s0t said:

No offense, but you SHOULD be dead trying to fight an alpha raptor on a bear...  I'd suggest a more hearty meat run animal personally, of if you are having problems, try using a flyer.

With the current state of the game where on official servers the alphas have wiped out all local life and rule the beaches, especially near bob spawns, even a lvl 15 dilo should be able to solo an alpha.

If you're gonna make them so prevalent near noob spawns, make sure noobs actually stand a chance. Otherwise, keep them in the difficult areas only.

Got taken off my bear yesterday whilst gathering fiber by a 145 raptor. 

It didn’t break a single piece of my PRIM flak, I stabbed it once with my pike, got back on my bear and ate it.

Cloth armour is trash, and being naked in a survival game is idiotic. Stop moaning about a mob mechanic when your ignoring large parts of the game. Don’t leave your base in trash gear.

Also,you can still pike and knock them back, you just need to survive for 5 seconds.

To all those who say this is a fair buff: let’s compare it with the Thyla.

Thyla: harder to tame, bigger stats, rarer, can climb walls, superior in all other ways, allows piked and such when pinned, pretty much never in packs

raptor: trash stats, fast tame, EVERYWHERE IN PACKS OF 3-5, inferior on all other ways, doesnt allow anything when pinned, + if you encounter a pack, you are essentially perma-stunned, as when you get up immediatly pinned again

Now this is something other than the wild ravager gnash, it’s not too serious if not on a para or iguana and prevents fleeing in a fair way

so complete stunlock even if on a ab megalo-tier mount is fair on way more common enemies? I would like it if you could adapt to the situations, but you cant even fight back, unlike with other dismounters.

Plus, you often have your mount on passive so it wont run away if you dismount for some purpose, and you cant even whistle while pinned, so you are toast in that situation. Even if you have your 360 full imprint full mutation bear

1 hour ago, Everybody said:

Plus, you often have your mount on passive so it wont run away if you dismount for some purpose, and you cant even whistle while pinned, so you are toast in that situation. Even if you have your 360 full imprint full mutation bear

Unless its a flyer I always keep my mount on neutral, If it starts to run then whistle passive. The only other exception is when i take drakes down to the blue zone, they lunge around so fast they can easily fall into the red zone defending you.

The situations that your completely screwed by raptors are far less common than the situations they can be easily dealt with with a bit of forethought. Im much more cautious around raptors now but they are only a threat at low player lvls and improper planning.

But if someones wants to start a thread about kapros grabbing you off flyers ill jump on that bandwagon quick lol.

On 7/11/2018 at 1:03 PM, D4u2s0t said:

Umm, what? You ARE aware that Bears have among the highest damage in the game, and if you exclude sea/air creatures, the third highest damage for a land creature, behind the Giga and the Titan? (Yes, with their swipe attack, Bears deal more damage then Rexes and Spinos).

Also, note that Alpha Raptors can be taken on with a TRIKE, providing you have the elevation advantage. Yes, that's right, a TRIKE.

Finally, it's not the Alpha Raptor itself that's dangerous - It's the pack of raptors it runs with. Ya know, those little things that used to be speed bump, but can now rip you off of any dino providing they got the angle for it? (Creature size only matters so much as how easy it is to get ripped off it. While its extremely unlikely to get ripped off one of the large dinos, I've gotten ripped off Quetzals, Paracers, Rock Drakes, Therizino's, Spinos before.).

Raptors by themselves are almost never a threat to virtually any dino - They are just a major annoyance, and a repair bill. It's even more annoying that you can't do anything if they grab you, unlike EVERY single other grabber in the game.

Also, did you know that if a raptor grabs you AS it dies, you'll just lay there for 5 seconds with nothing happening? The Raptor pin attack is poorly implemented, period.

Archived