This Raporting Raptors!

Frogspoison

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the new pounce/pin mechanic. It seems more natural to how I envisioned them in the first place. Anything to make this game more challenging is a positive in my book. This game was a cakewalk as it stood. Who wants to play a survival game that's easy? As soon as you reach Rex tier, there's very little to challenge players as a threat. Personally I'm happy for an element of surprise while farming mats. Most dinos can easily take out a raptor if on neutral.

5 hours ago, Rufiosghost said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as I do not yet have the update, but didn't the parasaur just get the ability to scare off raptors?

If you're that concerned with raptors, would taking a parasaur with you not effectively prevent a surprise attack?

I'm just going to quote this post for no particular reason, and in no way should this be interpreted as me promoting the obvious answer.  I'm sure the fact that the Raptor pounce ability and the Parasaurs ability to scare them (and other small predators) away is entirely coincidental, and was no way designed to provide a direct counter for new players to use.

6 hours ago, Rufiosghost said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as I do not yet have the update, but didn't the parasaur just get the ability to scare off raptors?

If you're that concerned with raptors, would taking a parasaur with you not effectively prevent a surprise attack?

It's funny though, considering how much raptors usually abuse parasaurs in the wild... THE TABLES HAVE TURNED

Also, isnt it kinda weird that the thyla lets you pull out a weapon but not the raptor?

This would make interesting poll to see a clean metric as to how everyone votes on the topic. I personally love this. Raptors should be dangerous. Before they were like really large rabid basilisks (from real life see below). Seriously they looked similar just raptors didn't run on water. I love you can't pull out a weapon. If a large heavy dangerous predator knocks you down, standing on top of you are you really able to pull out a large shotgun? Maybe you could pull out a knife.. idk. This is an awesome change, part of many awesome changes. I don't want to feel like I am going to the grocery store when I go get mats. The best part of the game is when you start out because it's hard. If the game can maintain that pressure of difficulty throughout while you grow and get stronger then I am all for that. It keeps the game so much more interesting and exciting. If I want to go to the grocery store I can do that in real life. If I want to have a death defying raptor fight I have Ark. As someone who plays single player I don't have the human element added to my game play. I am very sorry for anyone who doesn't like this much but this is game changing stuff for me, in a good way as it enhances the quality of the game for me. I want to have to use strategy when I do things. I hope everyone can adapt well and enjoy the changes. My two cents.

Basilisk_Lizard1_2.jpg&transform=resizeC

8 hours ago, Frogspoison said:

Note - Alpha Raptors, fortunately, do not have the mechanics of the new Raptor.

Of course, Alpha Raptors are often accompanied by several Raptors, so they will pull you off your mount while the Alpha raptor murders it, and then you.

I was wondering if alpha raptors had this ability as well. I thought giving the pounce to alpha raptors would be a poor design choice as it would make alpha carnos much easier to kill than alpha raptors.

I live in a big raptor area. I kite Argy's with my Thyla into traps. This will probably mess me up on several occasions (console player so not there yet) and on paper, I am a fan. This is why 90% of the time I put my mount on neutral and follow to me. 

Raptor's, unlike microraptor's and purlovia's and freaking kapro's on occasion, can at least be seen a good majority of the time. this gives you pause of just running up to smash them easily. 

Obviously I need to see it deployed and tested for myself before I can make a final decision but I am a huge fan of the first TLC and everything in this one sounds good too.

Anybody know how big of a dino Sarco's can death roll now? (Sarco skins are one of my Ragnarok boss fight alliance gathering responsibilities so this is of particular interest to me)

2 hours ago, DeningWei said:

Need a Tek Seatbelt

When they first started having dinos that could dismount you, I suggested a new engram.  A harness that keeps you on your saddle when dismount is attempted.  Each time a dino attempts to dismount you, the harness takes damage.  Eventually, sometime between 5 to 10 attempts, it will break if you do not repair it at the smithy on a regular basis.

18 minutes ago, JamesDoty said:

When they first started having dinos that could dismount you, I suggested a new engram.  A harness that keeps you on your saddle when dismount is attempted.  Each time a dino attempts to dismount you, the harness takes damage.  Eventually, sometime between 5 to 10 attempts, it will break if you do not repair it at the smithy on a regular basis.

I was just thinking about this myself. Could be like a skin that works similiarly to the glide suit or zipline pull thing which uses the up durability of a chest peice, leggings or something.

16 hours ago, Frogspoison said:

So, I was reading the TLC notes, and saw the Raptor section. I thought "Oh, cool Raptors got a decent buff.". At the time, I was more thinking along the lines of tamed raptors, because surely WCS wouldn't make wild Raptors, long known as the bane of noobs, but a speed bump as soon as you get bolas, an actual threat? Boy, was I wrong.

I take my Bear out to do my weekly meat run. A raptoring Raptor pounces on me, knocking me off the mount. Fortunately, my Bear can kill even 150 mate boosted raptors with a single strike, but what if it was an Alpha Raptor? What if there was a Rex along with the Raptor? I'd be dead, that's what.

And for newbs, running around on their not-as-damaging tames? Absolutely devastated by this change I'd reckon. I'm not looking forward to Extinction, because wild Raptoring Raptors will remain a nuisance ALL the raptoring time!

Please remove Wild Raptor's ability to knock players off their mount!

I completely agree.  Raptors spawn everywhere.  Beaches used to be a trade off,  less resources but more safety.   Is anywhere on the island safe from dismounting spawns now?

I like the change. The beginnings of ARK is always going to be hard, but you will adapt as you level up and grow. Eventually they will become less of a nuisance to you.

But like many said...tame a Parasuar if your that early game, now that they can actually SCARE a raptor away. Or leave the dino you are riding on neutral.  Raptors still have piss-poor health and if it's not an alpha one, your mount can get rid of it.

Don't be afraid. Adapt. It's a survival game. You'll learn that by the time you hit end game, you'll be GLAD that things like this can still happen, otherwise it's a large snorefest while doing chores.

15 hours ago, Jacira said:

The most concerning thing about this thread is that you're doing meat runs on a dire bear.

I'm... Not really seeing the concern?

Bear - Faster, deals more damage per hit, carries twice as much, no stamina issues, and harvests equal amounts of meat as the Rex at same melee level. Not to mention berry harvesting when I don't feel like dealing with the garden.

Rex - Has more HP, isn't attacked by everything.

I'm... Not really seeing the concern?

Bear - Faster, deals more damage per hit, carries twice as much, no stamina issues, and harvests equal amounts of meat as the Rex at same melee level. Not to mention berry harvesting when I don't feel like dealing with the garden.

Rex - Has more HP, isn't attacked by everything.
If you use a rex you're doing it wrong too.

10 hours ago, Ranger1 said:

I'm just going to quote this post for no particular reason, and in no way should this be interpreted as me promoting the obvious answer.  I'm sure the fact that the Raptor pounce ability and the Parasaurs ability to scare them (and other small predators) away is entirely coincidental, and was no way designed to provide a direct counter for new players to use.

That was a very witty dose of sarcasm, but the funny thing is, with the deb's previous history, it wouldn't surprise me if they were in fact completely unrelated and coincidental. 

Archived