This Raporting Raptors!

Frogspoison

So, I was reading the TLC notes, and saw the Raptor section. I thought "Oh, cool Raptors got a decent buff.". At the time, I was more thinking along the lines of tamed raptors, because surely WCS wouldn't make wild Raptors, long known as the bane of noobs, but a speed bump as soon as you get bolas, an actual threat? Boy, was I wrong.

I take my Bear out to do my weekly meat run. A raptoring Raptor pounces on me, knocking me off the mount. Fortunately, my Bear can kill even 150 mate boosted raptors with a single strike, but what if it was an Alpha Raptor? What if there was a Rex along with the Raptor? I'd be dead, that's what.

And for newbs, running around on their not-as-damaging tames? Absolutely devastated by this change I'd reckon. I'm not looking forward to Extinction, because wild Raptoring Raptors will remain a nuisance ALL the raptoring time!

Please remove Wild Raptor's ability to knock players off their mount!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard enough on Abberation starting out why on earth would WC think it was a good idea to have a dinosaur 1/10 the size of a carno able to leap up and take the rider off? First time I have raged quit from this game in a long time. I had big plans for the night in game but noooooo, we need more tiny dinosaurs that can knock you off your high level perfect tame dinosaur... 

i made a similar post, this is a seriously game damaging mechanic. New players are going to get trolled during the hardest time, starting out. They will quit and the game will die. I have almost 2,000 hours and needless to say getting wrecked by a raptor while on a carno is just dumb. Carno obviously will be fine but i have to run all the way back now? Because they added an OP ability? Why not just make it deal some damage to the rider vs taking you OFF your mount and pinning you to the ground?

If raptors are to have this strong of abilities they should only live in more dangerous areas of the maps, this will cause so many new players to just quit. 

2 minutes ago, Xenithar said:

This is an issue? OK, not trying to sound like a troll, but learn to keep an eye out. They're not bothered me a bit on or off of a mount. I do assume a level one player who has never played before having a lot of trouble being pinned, but they'll learn and adapt. No big deal.

Oh yes, while you are out on your beaver, doed, anky, carno, bear (and many others) regardless of how easily you can destroy a raptor they should be able to spear you off and pin you to the ground until you die. Meanwhile the entire reason you are out on your dino is to farm, but the raptors spawn everywhere so by your logic you just avoid what you need so its not an issue.... makes sense.... I am guessing a trex would be fine against the raptor now? So every time you want to farm you have to bring bolas with you or a rex... great game mechanic.

1 minute ago, Xenithar said:

This is an issue? OK, not trying to sound like a troll, but learn to keep an eye out. They're not bothered me a bit on or off of a mount. I do assume a level one player who has never played before having a lot of trouble being pinned, but they'll learn and adapt. No big deal.

It's not an issue once you are getting out Rexes and other large dinos for your runs...

But they can pull you off the following mounts from what I've found.

Trikes, Stegos, Iguanodons, Parasaurs, Turtles, your own Raptors, Equus, Pteranodons, Ravagers, Direbears, Megaloceros, Argentavis, Tapejara, Gallis, Doeds, Ankys, Beavers, Toads, Kapros, Sarcos, Araneos, Arthros, Mantis, Morellatops, Roll Rats, Basilisk, Baryonyx, Chalico, Daedon, Dirwolf, Giganotopithicus, Thylaceo, Lymantria, Megalania, Pachy, Pachyrhino, Procoptodon, Pulmino, Sabertooth, Terror Bird, and for GOOD measure, the Ovis.

So, basically, every single mount in which you aren't twice as high as the Raptor. Note that they CAN take you off even taller mounts if they drop on you from above!

So yea. Raptors are now basically Microraptors, except deadlier, and EVERY RAPTORING WHERE!

7 minutes ago, Frogspoison said:

It's not an issue once you are getting out Rexes and other large dinos for your runs...

But they can pull you off the following mounts from what I've found.

Trikes, Stegos, Iguanodons, Parasaurs, Turtles, your own Raptors, Equus, Pteranodons, Ravagers, Direbears, Megaloceros, Argentavis, Tapejara, Gallis, Doeds, Ankys, Beavers, Toads, Kapros, Sarcos, Araneos, Arthros, Mantis, Morellatops, Roll Rats, Basilisk, Baryonyx, Chalico, Daedon, Dirwolf, Giganotopithicus, Thylaceo, Lymantria, Megalania, Pachy, Pachyrhino, Procoptodon, Pulmino, Sabertooth, Terror Bird, and for GOOD measure, the Ovis.

So, basically, every single mount in which you aren't twice as high as the Raptor. Note that they CAN take you off even taller mounts if they drop on you from above!

So yea. Raptors are now basically Microraptors, except deadlier, and EVERY RAPTORING WHERE!

Carnos are easily 2x as high as a raptor and they knock you right off ... fortunately microraptors are limited to specific spawn zones that you become aware of. Raptors on the other hand spawn virtually everywhere... 

1 minute ago, tyranttommy said:

Carnos are easily 2x as high as a raptor and they knock you right off ... fortunately microraptors are limited to specific spawn zones that you become aware of. Raptors on the other hand spawn virtually everywhere... 

Yea, forgot Carnos, and probably forgot another dino or two. You are basically forced to run with a large dino now, any other dinos are putting yourself and the dino at risk.

If you could at least whack the raptor, it wouldn't be too bad - I can kill one with a few stabs from my pike, but you can't.

For the three other dinos, Microraptors aren't that fast and deal almost no damage, Purlovia/Thylacs can be spotted ahead of time and avoided. Raptors? They aggro onto you from a mile way, are faster then a large number of mounts, and deal a decent amount of damage.

Sarcos can grab you off their mount, but I'm not complaining about them - They are slow on land, squishy, and found only in the swamp.

2 minutes ago, Frogspoison said:

If they added MIcroraptors to every single inch of the Island, Center, Aberration, Scorched Earth, AND half of Ragnarok, would you still see no problem?

i have lived in a microrapter spawn for at least 2k hours and have only ever been knocked off a hand full of times and im not sure if i have ever died from one so no i dont see the problem

1 minute ago, aggravating said:

i have lived in a microrapter spawn for at least 2k hours and have only ever been knocked off a hand full of times and im not sure if i have ever died from one so no i dont see the problem

Then why are you even in this thread? Upping your post count? This thread is for those who either A) View the Raptor change for wild raptors as bad, or B) View it as a good thing. For those who don't care...

Perhaps you should find a better hobby then upping post counts?

Just now, Frogspoison said:

Then why are you even in this thread? Upping your post count? This thread is for those who either A) View the Raptor change for wild raptors as bad, or B) View it as a good thing. For those who don't care...

Perhaps you should find a better hobby then upping post counts?

Here to voice my opinion on the subject do you have a problem with that?

Just now, Frogspoison said:

It releases you after about 5 seconds, but with it's attack speed, its enough to deal 135 damage on an unarmored player, and breaks Cloth Armor after a single pin-down.

Huh thats pretty cool... Makes it more of a survival game. And to be honest. For a low level, a raptor getting to you means you die anyway.

That said I can see why it would be extremely unfair if alpha raptors could do this.

What if you could could it off you, let's say if your level is higher than the raptor's? Or if your melee stat is high enough?

3 minutes ago, aggravating said:

Here to voice my opinion on the subject do you have a problem with that?

"Whats your thoughts on your current country leader?" "He's the current country leader.".

"How do you feel about your country's current involvement in foreign affairs". "Eh."

A non-commital response is pratically the same as NO response. So, yes, you ARE just upping your post count.

2 minutes ago, Frogspoison said:

"Whats your thoughts on your current country leader?" "He's the current country leader.".

"How do you feel about your country's current involvement in foreign affairs". "Eh."

A non-commital response is pratically the same as NO response. So, yes, you ARE just upping your post count.

please stay on topic

2 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Huh thats pretty cool... Makes it more of a survival game. And to be honest. For a low level, a raptor getting to you means you die anyway.

That said I can see why it would be extremely unfair if alpha raptors could do this.

What if you could could it off you, let's say if your level is higher than the raptor's? Or if your melee stat is high enough?

Personally, I wouldn't be posting this if I could hit the Raptor with a weapon or shoot it with my shotgun. It's still be annoying, but so are Microraptors. Or if you could Bola it off of you.

I'll let you know in a bit if Alpha Raptors can do this as well.

For sub-9, you can fight a single low level raptor off with a spear, providing you have spent points into health or melee. Once you hit 9, you get bolas, which turn any raptor into hide and meat, regardless of the level of the raptor. However, with the new change, if the Raptor gets the drop on you, it will deal a signficant amount of damage at a low level, and significantly increases the risk you take when on any mount that doesn't poop large poop.

13 minutes ago, Sphere said:

Cool, raptors that make the game interesting. I like and approve of this. A survival game shouldn't feel like a boring grindfest.

The thing is, there isn't much counter to this. If a raptor hits you from the front, you can keep it at bay with dinos with strong knockback. If you have any decent combat dino, it'll kill the stationary raptor while you are on the ground, you get back on the dino, and probably get promptly knocked off by another raptor.

If you are on foot (Especially a problem on the few no-tame servers there are), you either A) Have to have decent defensive equipment, B) Have to have more then 140 health, or C) Have to spot and bola it before it hits you.

I'd have significantly fewer problems with the Raptor change if you could at least fight back.

Archived