Spino is actually viable now

RipRavage

17 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

Ikr, mid april starts in 3 days.  1st thing imma do is get my bred spino to fight my bred rex and see who wins.  Ive seen the YouTube tests, lvl 1s favor the spino, but the lvl 100s he used werent comparative point wise.  So my rex and spinos with 50 points in hp and dmg will make a far better test.

I would guess the Rex barely wins with no water buff on the spino, the spino deals a bit more damage than the rex but the rex has a far larger hp pool.     The Spino would dominate the hell out of a rex with the water buff tho.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Migol said:

I would guess the Rex barely wins with no water buff on the spino, the spino deals a bit more damage than the rex but the rex has a far larger hp pool.     The Spino would dominate the hell out of a rex with the water buff tho.

Im thinking that but im unsure.  The spino base dmg in biped mode is 60(Rex is 62).  The spino strikes about 1.5 to the rexes 1(so a near 50% advantage).  The rex would pull away hp wise but the spino would dps wise.  As long as their gains are comparative the spino would still win.  Hard test for fun tho, and to b safe lol.  With good saddles the spino could kill brood and king kong faster so it wouldnt need the huge hp and the dragon uses percentage based DoT so hp doesnt matter there, just dps.  Only problem is spinos randomly drop out of biped when not rode(we need a behavior option for this).

17 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

Only problem is spinos randomly drop out of biped when not rode(we need a behavior option for this).

Doubt this will happen, I am sure the intention was to make Spinos an optional Boss fighter if ridden, not an all-out replacement for the Rex.

If they make it so the Spino can fight at all time in Bipedal mode, then it would replace the Rex entirely.

I think they have done it just right as it sits right now.

If they did make it so the Spino did outperform the Rex in every case, I think there would be an all-out revolt of a majority of the player base.

All speculation on my part, as I have not been able to test it out yet - XBOX. 

6 hours ago, Palenor said:

Doubt this will happen, I am sure the intention was to make Spinos an optional Boss fighter if ridden, not an all-out replacement for the Rex.

If they make it so the Spino can fight at all time in Bipedal mode, then it would replace the Rex entirely.

I think they have done it just right as it sits right now.

If they did make it so the Spino did outperform the Rex in every case, I think there would be an all-out revolt of a majority of the player base.

All speculation on my part, as I have not been able to test it out yet - XBOX. 

The only way something is an optional boss creature is if it out preforms whats already available, otherwise people dont consider it and therefore not an option.  The spino losses hp wise to a rex, the spinos strength is its dps.  The fact it drops out of biped mode destroys any chance of it being a boss fighter.  Rex has hp, spino has dmg, but it doesnt have it now because it drops out.

16 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

The only way something is an optional boss creature is if it out preforms whats already available, otherwise people dont consider it and therefore not an option.  The spino losses hp wise to a rex, the spinos strength is its dps.  The fact it drops out of biped mode destroys any chance of it being a boss fighter.  Rex has hp, spino has dmg, but it doesnt have it now because it drops out.

There's nothing wrong with a mixed group.    You can have up to 10 players and 20 dinos.    So Ridden Yuty, 1-9 ridden Spinos, 10-19 unridden rexes, with the optimal being 1 ridden Yuty, 9 Ridden Spinos, and 10 unridden Rexes.     Might be worth it to get Alpha Brood down (harder than alpha ape).    Not sure how well it'd do on Dragon since from what I understand most groups are still using guns+deer with a rex soak group or such.

1 hour ago, Migol said:

There's nothing wrong with a mixed group.    You can have up to 10 players and 20 dinos.    So Ridden Yuty, 1-9 ridden Spinos, 10-19 unridden rexes, with the optimal being 1 ridden Yuty, 9 Ridden Spinos, and 10 unridden Rexes.     Might be worth it to get Alpha Brood down (harder than alpha ape).    Not sure how well it'd do on Dragon since from what I understand most groups are still using guns+deer with a rex soak group or such.

That is what I was getting at.

As it stands right now Rexs can tank and spank all levels of Brood and Monkey easy. And they are both DPS races to the finish.

If you choose to ride the Spino in battle, it is a viable OPTION to use, if it only uses Bipedal Attack while being ridden.

However, if you can make them all attack on Bipedal Mode ridden or not, then Spinos become replacements to the Rexs, not OPTIONAL.

Dragon is a whole different approach. We do not take Rexes into those fights, neither would we take Spinos for that matter.

Because rexes have more hp they would still be an option.  Spinos can ONLY be an option as long as it has its dps, which it drops out of.  I dont have ps+ so no tribe for me and therefore im a 1 man leading dino army.  I can only ride 1 at a time.  Your guys argument favors the rex winning everything, my argument has 1 as a tank and the other as a shock trooper which is a lot more fair, i get the feeling your both rex fan boys that hate jp3 because the rex lost.

Ark Spino simply doesn't have nearly the health of the Ark rex (10k full imprint spino vs 21k full imprint rex on my breeds) spino might be able to out dps but it'll die alot faster than a rex would and even if they let unmonted spino go bipedal the AI would be slower than a player mounted spino. 

Simply the spino now has more usefulness but not completely overpowering the rex for its job

1 hour ago, SwishPapaSweets said:

Ark Spino simply doesn't have nearly the health of the Ark rex (10k full imprint spino vs 21k full imprint rex on my breeds) spino might be able to out dps but it'll die alot faster than a rex would and even if they let unmonted spino go bipedal the AI would be slower than a player mounted spino. 

Simply the spino now has more usefulness but not completely overpowering the rex for its job

Exactly, thank you, and even if it has full biped it wont replace the rex.

2 hours ago, SwishPapaSweets said:

51 minutes ago, Onimusha759 said:

Exactly, thank you, and even if it has full biped it wont replace the rex.

It will when ridden in most bosses and especially against dragon, where the dps is important and dmg is % based. 

Unridden and bipedal.. no chance right now. That being said, were talking top% tiers.. spino will still do just fine for the easy and med bosses .. though why a tribe would have boss spinos but not rexs.. dont know.

46 minutes ago, d1nk said:

It will when ridden in most bosses and especially against dragon, where the dps is important and dmg is % based. 

Unridden and bipedal.. no chance right now. That being said, were talking top% tiers.. spino will still do just fine for the easy and med bosses .. though why a tribe would have boss spinos but not rexs.. dont know.

Right so no reason not to allow the AI to stay in biped mode when fighting.

If Spino beats the Rex on the Rex's turf and massacres the Rex on his own turf then the Rex is obsolete. If the Spino beats the Rex on his own turf and matches the Rex on the Rex's turf then the Rex is obsolete.

If Spino has to be Rex's equal as a boss fighter then WC should just create a boss arena that's semi-aquatic and let Spino be the main fighter there. But on a purely land-based battlefield the Rex should be superior. Period.

They could also set it up so that Rex and Spino work together and fill different roles in a team, but for that to work the boss battles would need to be more than just a dogpile tank-n-spank.

As for the Spino's derpy A.I., I get the reasoning behind it but I don't think that that was the right way to go. I would suggest setting it up so that the bipedal mode drains the Spino's stamina which eventually forces the Spino down on all fours, but set up the A.I. to stay in bipedal mode as long as he does have the stamina for it.

1 hour ago, Lockjaw said:

If Spino beats the Rex on the Rex's turf and massacres the Rex on his own turf then the Rex is obsolete. If the Spino beats the Rex on his own turf and matches the Rex on the Rex's turf then the Rex is obsolete.

If Spino has to be Rex's equal as a boss fighter then WC should just create a boss arena that's semi-aquatic and let Spino be the main fighter there. But on a purely land-based battlefield the Rex should be superior. Period.

They could also set it up so that Rex and Spino work together and fill different roles in a team, but for that to work the boss battles would need to be more than just a dogpile tank-n-spank.

As for the Spino's derpy A.I., I get the reasoning behind it but I don't think that that was the right way to go. I would suggest setting it up so that the bipedal mode drains the Spino's stamina which eventually forces the Spino down on all fours, but set up the A.I. to stay in bipedal mode as long as he does have the stamina for it.

I had an argument with a rex addict on the tlc thread where i proved the spino is fully capable of killing a rex 1v1 irl.  Idk if it was you, prolly was.  The end result would either be spino wins or draw with either both backdown or die.  Either way in ark the rex's main role of tank is intact and therefore hes not obsolete.  Let the glory hog yankees lose for a change and let another team win lol.

5 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

I had an argument with a rex addict on the tlc thread where i proved the spino is fully capable of killing a rex 1v1 irl.  Idk if it was you, prolly was.  The end result would either be spino wins or draw with either both backdown or die.  Either way in ark the rex's main role of tank is intact and therefore hes not obsolete.  Let the glory hog yankees lose for a change and let another team win lol.

Pfft. You didn't prove anything. I just stopped arguing the point because it wasn't worth it. I was trying to be nice about it before as you're an obvious Spino fan boy, but if you really want to push this... JP3 lied to you. Sorry. Spino would die if he ever got into a death match with a Rex in real life. As I pointed out before Rex kills Spino in one bite. Meaning that even if Spino attacks first Rex still wins because he will surely get that bite in while Spino is biting at the Rex with those weak jaws and scratching with his claws. There are dinos who would have been a formidable challenge for Rex. Spino is not one of them. Lucky for him though he would have been very scary to the bite-sized fish that he was built to catch.

As for the Rex's bigger health pool, yes that could be something, but as I said that would require them to be set up for different roles. Like if Rex had the ability to force aggro on himself and thus protect the glass cannon Spino. Or if they just specialize in different boss battles. But if Spino is just given the Rex's tank-n-spank even without the water buff then he has simply replaced the Rex. Which is exactly what Spino fan boys always want.

8 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

Pfft. You didn't prove anything. I just stopped arguing the point because it wasn't worth it. I was trying to be nice about it before as you're an obvious Spino fan boy, but if you really want to push this... JP3 lied to you. Sorry. Spino would die if he ever got into a death match with a Rex in real life. As I pointed out before Rex kills Spino in one bite. Meaning that even if Spino attacks first Rex still wins because he will surely get that bite in while Spino is biting at the Rex with those weak jaws and scratching with his claws. There are dinos who would have been a formidable challenge for Rex. Spino is not one of them. Lucky for him though he would have been very scary to the bite-sized fish that he was built to catch.

As for the Rex's bigger health pool, yes that could be something, but as I said that would require them to be set up for different roles. Like if Rex had the ability to force aggro on himself and thus protect the glass cannon Spino. Or if they just specialize in different boss battles. But if Spino is just given the Rex's tank-n-spank even without the water buff then he has simply replaced the Rex. Which is exactly what Spino fan boys always want.

Im not really big on either, i just like having something new to play with and wish it wasnt half done.  You seem to forget the fact the spino weighs several tons more then the rex(Thats a fact).  You have seen the videos of martial artists trying to down guys quite larger right?  The big guy doesnt even flinch.  Now ik the bite would do sever damage, but in your example the spino would likely drag the rex down because his weight allows him to man handle.  Lets see you drop a 300 pound guy, you prolly cant, heck i took martial arts and trying to drop a guy like that wouldnt be easy for me either.  You seem to forget i discredited every reason you have for the rex to win.  The spino could and prolly would go for the throat, the rex small brain capacity would give spino weight and intellectual advantage, it has arms so utility advantage.  You cant say that the spino couldnt hold the rex back considering its smarter and has actual arms.  Ok ill let you tie your arms behind your back and you can try to bite that 300 pound guy and if you can bite him on the neck or spine youll insta kill him, it be funny as heck watching him throw you off of him, and we just talking an average brawler here, not a ninja master.  Id even wager youd be smarter then the brawler so you representing the rex makes it even worse because the spino is smarter due to brain capacity.  You can take your Dr. Quack info about the rex being smarter simply because its newer and flush it.  My parents are from the LSD gen and they were a heck of a lot smarter then the current tied pod gen lol.  I actually wanted rex to win in jp3 so im not a fan boy of him, i just like we got a new butt kicker and wish he was complete instead of half done.  The only reason i brought up real life versions before is because you want to trash and take away something awesome the devs gave us.  Boo hoo your yankees lost, i say YES because we all have something even more awesome to have(gamer view point, real isnt always better)  If i were you id be more PO'ed about the mega flat out kicking rex butt completely, at least the spino could actually do it, the megas just an insult.  And ill say it again, the Frickin rex in this game isnt a rex.  Read the dossier for the rex, helena clearly states the tyrannous is not a rex, the locals are just to stupid to tell the difference and to ignorant to listen to her.  That last fact destroys your argument against the spino being unfair completely because your comparing it to a dino that isnt in the game.  That means the ark "rex" is a complete X factor meaning even if your right theres no reason the spino couldnt beat this tyrannosaur since it isnt an actual rex.  Case closed, charges dismissed.

6 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

Well yeah I guess we can write it off as T-Dominum being a pathetic shadow of the actual Rex. And yeah losing to Megalosaurus is the saddest part if it all haha.

But I do need to ask something: Do you want more options, or do you want Rex to simply be outclassed and unviable? In other words, let's say hypothetically that Spino keeps all of his current abilities, has his A.I. changed to stay in bipedal mode when fighting, and proves strong enough to take down any boss. But at the same time Rex gets buffed so that he still beats Spino 1v1, at least when away from water. Is Spino still awesome? Are you still excited for his new abilities? Or did Spino just become useless again? We all agree that it's ok for Spino to be better at something than Rex, but is it likewise ok for Rex to be better at something than Spino?

Also, you keep comparing the Rex to the yankees finally losing to another team. Not a good comparison, but it actually illustrates exactly what I'm talking about. Because you're basically admitting that instead of establishing differences in strengths/roles/playstyles/ect... they just placed Spino as the clear winner and Rex as the clear loser.

54 minutes ago, Lockjaw said:

Well yeah I guess we can write it off as T-Dominum being a pathetic shadow of the actual Rex. And yeah losing to Megalosaurus is the saddest part if it all haha.

But I do need to ask something: Do you want more options, or do you want Rex to simply be outclassed and unviable? In other words, let's say hypothetically that Spino keeps all of his current abilities, has his A.I. changed to stay in bipedal mode when fighting, and proves strong enough to take down any boss. But at the same time Rex gets buffed so that he still beats Spino 1v1, at least when away from water. Is Spino still awesome? Are you still excited for his new abilities? Or did Spino just become useless again? We all agree that it's ok for Spino to be better at something than Rex, but is it likewise ok for Rex to be better at something than Spino?

Also, you keep comparing the Rex to the yankees finally losing to another team. Not a good comparison, but it actually illustrates exactly what I'm talking about. Because you're basically admitting that instead of establishing differences in strengths/roles/playstyles/ect... they just placed Spino as the clear winner and Rex as the clear loser.

Dude its a progressive tier based rpg.  You upgrade along the way.  I have birds and rexes, my raptor is obsolete, but thats what rpg is.  Your daedric sword is better then your other 5 swords you used before now.  And the reference to the yankees is because your complaining about the rex losing(Which is the glory hog).  The rex has a better stam and hp gain, its far more common(excluding aberration), and spawns frequently higher with better state placement.  The spino takes more time to get a good 1.  Technically no, only one is awesome, poor spino is hardly king of water with sucky swim speed hp and power compared to the options available, and limit time underwater.  His land power is his only true viability.  Giga is king obviously, so 2nd place is a battle ground.  Only 1 can be king of the arena tho and as far as everyone is basically concerned all the others are trash.  Thats rpg tho, you cant escape it.  If the spino isnt the best boss creature then i wont use him.  1 will nudge out the other, and thats the 1 i pick.  And im not big on end game balance either, i like traditional rpg where that last set of armor is just awesome, tho i do want to earn it.  Because of that the tek and riot stuff sickens me because its so weak and costs to much for its piddle value.  I just enjoy the extra power, a lil bone the devs threw us for sitting pretty for so long like good doggies.  Unless the spino can get to go biped for combat, i doubt ill use it for boss fights because its to unreliable.  Same reason i dont use megas, they grab instead of bite.  Options are nice but when you got everything basically the same from balance and you got 1 clear winner, options is just trash to shift thru.  Like borderlands, you have so many guns, like literally thousands, majority of them are worthless to me, and the majority i actually want i never get lol.  So to sum it up, the only not worthless dinos are rex/spino, squid, bary for caves, bronto farmer, giga/titan king trophies, quetz, argy/ptera.  So yes if he dont win he sucks lol.  Note im not factoring dlc.

4 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

Ok as long as we're clear about that. But if you (and by 'you' I mean anyone who pushes these same arguments) openly admit that you want one option to outshine all others then you've given up your right to complain if you think that that one option is the Rex. If Spino were useless and Rex ruled all you'd be getting exactly what you asked for.

Its not even like Spino is meant to be a higher tier than Rex. He's not. His saddle unlocks a few levels sooner than Rex's saddle and his dossier tells you point blank that he's not meant to be as strong as Rex. Abberation only drives the point home further as you see them EVERYWHERE on that map.

9 minutes ago, Lockjaw said:

Ok as long as we're clear about that. But if you (and by 'you' I mean anyone who pushes these same arguments) openly admit that you want one option to outshine all others then you've given up your right to complain if you think that that one option is the Rex. If Spino were useless and Rex ruled all you'd be getting exactly what you asked for.

Its not even like Spino is meant to be a higher tier than Rex. He's not. His saddle unlocks a few levels sooner than Rex's saddle and his dossier tells you point blank that he's not meant to be as strong as Rex. Abberation only drives the point home further as you see them EVERYWHERE on that map.

See idc which is stronger, im just happy i got something stronger, i advanced, i progressed.  Heck it could be the darn dodo thats on steroids and id be happy.  I was cool with the rex, now spinos better(Kinda), so im happy cause i have something better.  All these updates and the only truly good add was the bary.  Patch not dlc.  Its like racing dlc, if none of the cars are the best for a race in the dlc, then the dlc is a waste.  I wasnt the 1 complaining, u were.  I never complained about the rex being better, i was given a treat, we all were, and i dont want a nag to cause it to go away.

42 minutes ago, Onimusha759 said:

Yeah I've seen you complain across multiple threads about how you thought that Rex was outshining other options. But what's done is done. I guess we've both said what we have to say on the topic. For the record I enjoy strategic choice rather than one option nullifying all others.

Archived