Spino is actually viable now

RipRavage

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Thank you for your testing :)

Well, spinos are great now. Kind of wish they had more hp but being a glass cannon is pretty good when you compare it to a rex.

However I'm still puzzled why both of these get outclassed by megalosaurs.

As far as I know, only ridden megalosaurs are worth a damn, unridden they're still trying to pick stuff up instead of biting them.

27 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Even still. Theres something definitely wrong here

Unfortunately the megalosaurus is a gimmick creature which really isn't good outside of night or aberration.  The spino got a nice buff in the PVP sense with the water boost, but it is still only out damaging the rex slightly without the water buff.  The Rex has 400 or so more base HP than the Spino, which is a lot, so I think they kinda really need to buff the spinos health since water isn't going to always be available.  I'm really not a big fan of the whole gimmick only good under certain circumstances dinos like the Megalosaurus.  The spino is definitely better right now, its just not balanced too well with the rex in terms of the HP vs Melee balance in my opinion.  A standard boss spino pumped as a cannon is probably going to run 10-15k health with the rest in melee, while a similir rex would run 15-20k with the rest in melee (Thats not even mentioning the standard boss rex HP of 30k).

33 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

Unfortunately the megalosaurus is a gimmick creature which really isn't good outside of night or aberration.  The spino got a nice buff in the PVP sense with the water boost, but it is still only out damaging the rex slightly without the water buff.  The Rex has 400 or so more base HP than the Spino, which is a lot, so I think they kinda really need to buff the spinos health since water isn't going to always be available.  I'm really not a big fan of the whole gimmick only good under certain circumstances dinos like the Megalosaurus.  The spino is definitely better right now, its just not balanced too well with the rex in terms of the HP vs Melee balance in my opinion.  A standard boss spino pumped as a cannon is probably going to run 10-15k health with the rest in melee, while a similir rex would run 15-20k with the rest in melee (Thats not even mentioning the standard boss rex HP of 30k).

I would be ok if the spino had the hp of a theri, or something. But it should not be comparable to a thyla, which currently somehow has the same hp.

11 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Thank you for your testing :)

Well, spinos are great now. Kind of wish they had more hp but being a glass cannon is pretty good when you compare it to a rex.

However I'm still puzzled why both of these get outclassed by megalosaurs.

They are usable only at night and unridden Megas try to grab boss doing about 1/10 of their dps instead of using their normal attack. Even when ridden, u can still use them only at night so you should have some advantage over Spinos and Rexes at night. They have slightly less HP than Rexes and a bigger dmg. Thats completely fine.

I'm completely disappointed in the Spino's TLC... The concepts are great, the execution is terrible. Two legged animations do not look "cool" at all, and what's even the point if they don't? "Sure we'll give it a variable stance but it'll waddle around like it has a potato in it's butt." Also the Hydration buff is totally inconsistent, doesn't work underwater, doesn't work in rain, and the animations simply don't line up with the average movement speed of a leveled and buffed Spino. Also their swimming animations have had virtually nothing done to them whatsoever and they still have access to only bite attacks when underwater... The whole point of this dino is that it is supposed to be viable as an amphibious mount, yet as it is... It's only effective on land. After the first TLC Pass, I expected more.

Just curious, whats the comparison between the spino vs the baryonyx after the spino TLC ? Is the spino better in the transition between land/water and the bary better in the fully aquatic environment or what ? Kinda dissapointed that the spino still has the oxygen bar when the bary does not for example. 

14 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Just curious, whats the comparison between the spino vs the baryonyx after the spino TLC ? Is the spino better in the transition between land/water and the bary better in the fully aquatic environment or what ? Kinda dissapointed that the spino still has the oxygen bar when the bary does not for example. 

The spino is better in short streams an on land than the baryonyx, the baryonyx is better for water exploration and cave running.  The spino does seem to have a slightly improved turning radius under water now, but it is limited to it's weaker bite attack as opposed to its higher damaging claw attack.  If you have a spino stick to the shore line and use the increased speed and damage to run on a rampage and wipe anything that moves.  The spino even gets the water boost from taking a dunk in element pools on aberration, though I don't suggest doing that due to the damage it also takes from them but it can be helpful if you need a boost to fight a reaper queen.  The spino is a shoreline glass cannon now, the baryonyx is still going to be the most reliable cave and water diver just based on its unlimited oxygen and its small size.  I wouldn't rely on spinos in deep water too much because they are larger and easier to grab by things like alpha tusoteuthis while a baryonyx might slip by.  unfortunately both of them are going to average between 10-15k HP so the Spino's advantage is mainly its high damage output.

A few notes after playing last night:

1. Love that the old "Crash Crash, Crash Crash" running sound has been replaced, even if the new sound is a bit fruity.    The old sound used to drive me bonkers.     The waggle animation on the sail looks a lot more natural too.
  2. The Spino is now my favorite animal on the river, they turn into giant high speed highways on aberration now with the speed buff.   
  3. Turn radius is MUCH better when bidpedal now
  4. There needs to be a command to make spinos not being ridden "Stay bidped" or "Stay on all fours".
  5. Was totally getting attacked by piranha still?    Was that just a "dossier myth"?

Archived