modding Wildcard Workshop #1: Getting Started!

ZenRowe

• Wildcard Community

Hello, Everyone!

Welcome to the first installment of Wildcard Workshop! Where I bring you tutorials, tips & tricks, and best practices for modding.

Today we’re going to be starting from the top. We will be installing the ARK Dev Kit and everything that you need to know about that. I will introduce you to all of the resources you have available to turn to when building your mods, and then we will set up our project space and the required files for a 'game mod' which we will use when creating our first mod in the next episode of Wildcard Workshop!

<-- Back to Wildcard Workshop tutorials

Here are the links and resources that were referenced in the video:

Download the Epic Games Launcher

Information Resource Links:
Ark Dev Kit forums (UE4 subforum)
SurviveTheArk.com Workshop Forum
ArkModding.Net Website
ArkModding Discord
Modding World Discord (This is another modding discord that did not get referenced in the video)

Unreal Engine 4:
UE4 Documentation
UE4 Forums
Unreal Engine Youtube Channel

If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to leave a reply!

Having a bit of trouble here.  Tried re-creating the mod start up you've made step by step.  But on loading PrimaGameFiles_BP, the entire dev kit locks up tight as a brick.  Can't cancel, can hit anything else, have to get out of it via task manager to close.

Waited a while and nothing changes.  Locks at 80% when you hit the BP file showing a progress bar and doesn't move any further.

EDIT:  Finally got this to go thru the 2nd time, which brought up a task download bar, but somehow made another file named New World which appears next to Dinoshrine (have no idea how I did that but there is an icon in the middle of this file that leads me to believe I'm blueprinting the New World file instead of Dinoshrine) but when naming the blueprint, I do not understand what "suffics it" means and can not see what your typing there in the vid. (too small)

Finally got out of the dev kit this time, appeared to be locked up again, but this time when I brought up task manager to close it out, it brought up another box to save or not save.  Didn't save it.

I'm using a Windows 10, 2017 Alienware Area 51, 64 ram, top of the line, so hopefully this lag/lock up in the dev kit is not caused by computing power. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Wildcard Community
On 5/16/2018 at 1:36 PM, HoganRyan01 said:

When I attempt to open the Epic Games Launcher I get an application error.

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

I haven't actually seen that error before, but I did find this in regards to it:
https://launcherhelp.epicgames.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2291317-error-0xc000007b-when-attempting-to-launch-the-epic-games-launcher

On 5/18/2018 at 5:26 AM, ZenRowe said:

I dont get what I'm supposed to do now.. I've done both of the DWalker and Procmon thingy but it doesnt tell me what to do after that.. It just says it will be in the next section which there isnt one.

• Wildcard Community
16 hours ago, HoganRyan01 said:

I dont get what I'm supposed to do now.. I've done both of the DWalker and Procmon thingy but it doesnt tell me what to do after that.. It just says it will be in the next section which there isnt one.

I'm not sure either like I said I've never actually seen this issue before.
Google does have some results for the problem, but this is something with the epic launcher specifically so the Epic forums would more likely have someone with the knowledge to help you fix the problem.
Have you taken a look at this thread already?
https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/forums/unreal-tournament-discussion/ut-development-bug-reports-qa/windows-troubleshooting/3621-error-0xc000007b

• 2 months later...

Guten Tag,

I just watched this awesome tutorial, thanks for not speaking too fast. English is not my mother tongue :-)

Is it ok, if I create a main folder under Mods where all my stuff goes in? Like Quo_Stuff and in that folder some new folders for each mod if ever work on more than one ans have some testmods in too, not that I cook all at once or the download is filled with useless stuff. Because I like it clean and not one folder over Terrain and another one underneath TheCenter.

And a second question, if I may. I want to make a copy of my mod-files to store them to a disc and carry them over to a different computer. The only files I need are in shooterGame/Content/Mods/MyStuff, right? Or are there some reference files I need to copy too?

Thank you

• Wildcard Community

The cooking system is looking at the \mods\ folder for individual mods, so a group folder within that could cause issues, you can color code the folders in the devkit though if that might make it a bit better for you.

In addition to your individual mod project folders, you will want to back up the mods.db file which can be found in:

ARKDevKit\Projects\ShooterGame\Saved

Rather than doing a system of manually transferring and backing up files though, I recommend using version control system like Git to manage your files. You can even create free private repositories at gitlab.com or bitbucket.org so your mod files will be accessible from anywhere should you need them.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Wildcard Community
On 2/18/2019 at 3:04 AM, covenantgrunt said:

There is no modding tab in Epic Game Launcher anymore, how do I get the ARK Dev Kit in 2019 ?

you'll find it now at the bottom of the store page if you have never installed it before, after that it's in the library

• 4 weeks later...

Archived