Simple adventure finding crystal, oil and pearls

Darf

I just spent 3 nights in the arctic on a raft wearing hide armor and got a boatload of new mats for the 1st time. If you hug the west coast of the island map and follow it all the way north until you see ice. Go past the 1st huge looking cove and around the iceberg and there are several places to ramp up and sprint to your resource nodes. I brought about 100 pieces of cooked meat and used all of it. I surrounded the rudder with a campfire and 2 torched filled with thatch and did just fine when it got down to -19C at night. I didnt get a whole lot of organic polymer from the penguins but I was able to craft 4 sets of Ghille armor so be prepared and bring mats for that. And also note that dire wolves appear to be able to smell you through the raft walls. I had a lvl 140 trying to eat through my wooden walls so I put the crossbow to use. Goodluck it's a crazy adventure up there for the 1st time so be prepared with everything you need stocked on your raft.

I remember building a raft with an open fire in it and sailing around that coast for days when I first started playing. No Leeds to worry about then for getting home of course! I was impressed with the amount of oil and pearls I brought home to the tribe. 

Once you get a good weight argie or quetzal, those boat trips get resigned to the past though.

Darf, thanks for sharing; it brought me back to when I did something similar in the beginning. I took a raft up there from The Footpaw complete with a cooking fire right by the tiller. I might have put it a little too close, though, as I recall burning myself a few times while trying to get around it, heh.

My favorite thing at the time was to head into that cove, with the broken ice, and swim for pearls. With the water as murky as it is without a scuba mask, I almost tried harvesting a jellyfish once. Luckily, I realized it in time. Anyway, I’d harvest, climb out of the freezing water onto the boat, hurry inside to warm up, eat a bunch of cooked meat, then head out for more.

One time, I got quite a start. I was in near shore, under the ice, grabbing a clam. When I looked up, just in the gap between the ice and the sandy bottom was a sabertooth’s unhappy mug. Fortunately, the gap wasn’t large enough for it to fit through. I probably beat one of Michael Phelps’ records swimming back to my raft.

On 3/19/2018 at 7:07 AM, Onimusha759 said:

Ya dude ppl known this for years now.  Oil is way easier and plentiful in water and crystal is in caves and on peaks even in the south.

Everyone has to learn some time. Just because you've known it for years doesn't mean anything, there are always new players joining the game.

46 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Everyone has to learn some time. Just because you've known it for years doesn't mean anything, there are always new players joining the game.

Yes but im not making topics that 99% people already know as if its something new or anything.  Its like people on facebook doing these videos about their day as if theyre a celebrity.  No one cares, its vain as heck and very odd and yet somehow its becoming a trend.  This post isnt that bad or extreme and my initial reaction was maybe a bit cold.  Im glad someone had that happy thrilling adventure.  1st times are VERY important.

5 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

Yes but im not making topics that 99% people already know as if its something new or anything.

Your "Yes but..." shows that you missed the point. The point of "there are always new players joining the game" is that they don't all go back and read every post in the history of the game, some things are worth telling and retelling, so that each new wave of people coming in can find out about them.

Beyond that, the OP also didn't make any claims that what they did was "something new", you're reading things into the post that they didn't say.

8 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Your "Yes but..." shows that you missed the point. The point of "there are always new players joining the game" is that they don't all go back and read every post in the history of the game, some things are worth telling and retelling, so that each new wave of people coming in can find out about them.

Beyond that, the OP also didn't make any claims that what they did was "something new", you're reading things into the post that they didn't say.

The yes but was supposed to of had when i was a noob attached to it.  As i said my initial reaction was probably to cold.  After i read it tho i was like "wasted my time here".  As a noob i asked questions and was silent otherwise.  I knew even as a noob that whatever kinda cool thing i found wasnt really worth sharing because everyone(Not new people) already know and therefore it be just a bother to all the veterans.  Ive already agreed with you about noob first times.  Do we really have to do a back and forth?

12 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

If you are trying to play on any PVP server whatsoever you had better have checked the resource spawn map long before you have even decided where to settle on the map.  You need to know exactly where everything is spawning to actually be able to get yourself established and actually have a fighting chance to compete.  If the OP is roleplaying and actually exploring the map from a immersive stance then I get it, but from an actual competitive stance this stuff is the kinda stuff you should have known from checking the wiki.  Being prepared is half the battle.

This is one of the handiest tools for any new player

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Resource_Map_(The_Island)

On 3/24/2018 at 3:39 PM, RipRavage said:

If you are trying to play on any PVP server whatsoever you had better have checked the resource spawn map long before you have even decided where to settle on the map.  You need to know exactly where everything is spawning to actually be able to get yourself established and actually have a fighting chance to compete.  If the OP is roleplaying and actually exploring the map from a immersive stance then I get it, but from an actual competitive stance this stuff is the kinda stuff you should have known from checking the wiki.  Being prepared is half the battle.

I instinctively agree with you, because I play games the same way you do. I read, I look up, I make sure that I know what I'm getting into in advance even if it's a solo game of PvE environment. But not everyone plays that way.

Having said that, your choice and my choice don't bind other people to play the same way. Some people like to "wing it", some people like to explore new stuff without reading/knowing about it first. I have a friend who died more times in his first 30 levels than I did all the way to level 100, because he only enjoys a game when it's giving him a good butt-kicking, so he hate to read/learn about things in advance. To him, the process of personal discovery is a much better gaming experience than knowing things in advance.

There are plenty of people who would rather read the OP's forum post than read a detailed guide or a web site. He offered just enough information to say "Here's a good place for some adventures" without giving people a detailed step-by-step guide on everything they have to do. Just because you and I approach a game a certain way doesn't mean everyone does, they're entitled to enjoy the game (and share their experiences and their different perspectives on the forums) just as much as we are.

2 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

I instinctively agree with you, because I play games the same way you do. I read, I look up, I make sure that I know what I'm getting into in advance even if it's a solo game of PvE environment. But not everyone plays that way.

Having said that, your choice and my choice don't bind other people to play the same way. Some people like to "wing it", some people like to explore new stuff without reading/knowing about it first. I have a friend who died more times in his first 30 levels than I did all the way to level 100, because he only enjoys a game when it's giving him a good butt-kicking, so he hate to read/learn about things in advance. To him, the process of personal discovery is a much better gaming experience than knowing things in advance.

There are plenty of people who would rather read the OP's forum post than read a detailed guide or a web site. He offered just enough information to say "Here's a good place for some adventures" without giving people a detailed step-by-step guide on everything they have to do. Just because you and I approach a game a certain way doesn't mean everyone does, they're entitled to enjoy the game (and share their experiences and their different perspectives on the forums) just as much as we are.

I wasn't telling him not to play the game that way, I was just offering some friendly advice.  I roleplay sometimes, and I was just giving him the heads up about some valuable tools like the wiki's resource map, which it seems like most players that come to these forums don't even realize exist.  I want to give him the edge he is going to need if he is going to be competing against a bunch of ruthless PVPers that are just waiting to destroy anybody that is a bit behind them in knowledge and progress.  I am all for roleplay and fun stories about our explorations and meant no offence.  I will state again, being prepared is half the battle.

Archived