Ark Xbox Hosting Server For PC Players

On the other hand, depending on how powerful your PC's are and if you both own the steam version of the game, you may be able to host an instance of the game for the server (headless version using SteamCMD or some of the other third party tools) and a second instance where you and your friend can play. This is, of course, assuming a couple of things:

• You both own steam copies of ARK
  • At least one of your computers runs a third or forth gen i7 processor or equivalent along with the graphics card to match.

I know it can be done because I did it for several years on a 2011 27' iMac running boot camp Windows 7. There are lots of resources both in the ark forums and elsewhere to help you with this kind of setup.

Guest DJRone89
On 22/03/2018 at 1:55 AM, PhoenixFirewind said:

On the other hand, depending on how powerful your PC's are and if you both own the steam version of the game, you may be able to host an instance of the game for the server (headless version using SteamCMD or some of the other third party tools) and a second instance where you and your friend can play. This is, of course, assuming a couple of things:

• You both own steam copies of ARK
  • At least one of your computers runs a third or forth gen i7 processor or equivalent along with the graphics card to match.

I know it can be done because I did it for several years on a 2011 27' iMac running boot camp Windows 7. There are lots of resources both in the ark forums and elsewhere to help you with this kind of setup.

Steam is not compatible with the Xbox version.

On 3/23/2018 at 7:39 AM, DJRone89 said:

Steam is not compatible with the Xbox version.

Never said it was, but the question was related to hosting a server on an XBOX that could be played on PC's. Since you would both need the Play Anywhere version of Ark to do so that way, you could also host a headless server on a sufficiently equipped PC that would also allow you to run a full instance of the game on the same machine if both players already owned the steam version.

Guest DJRone89
7 hours ago, PhoenixFirewind said:

Never said it was, but the question was related to hosting a server on an XBOX that could be played on PC's.

How is anything Steam related, contribute to this discussion? As you just said.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 8:02 AM, PhoenixFirewind said:

Never said it was, but the question was related to hosting a server on an XBOX that could be played on PC's. Since you would both need the Play Anywhere version of Ark to do so that way, you could also host a headless server on a sufficiently equipped PC that would also allow you to run a full instance of the game on the same machine if both players already owned the steam version.

Steam is not cross compatible, only the windows store version. You can't host a headless server on windows store PC, the windows 10 version is not even close to the steam version in terms compatibility or stability when it comes to PC hosting. I host via windows 10 store but it is buggy, not headless, constant dcom issues, crashes, players can't join after awhile, no command startup access, a lot of the ini commands don't work, just a complete pile of mess honestly.

To the OP, yes you can host from windows 10 store version on PC and enable crossplay, should you? No. 

You can also host on Xbox and allow crossplay so PC players can join, again should you? No.

Archived