"When I was a newbie..."

Cowgirl

6 hours ago, LittlePigmyPuff said:

Mine was not paying attention to my surroundings when I first started. I use to run off cliffs a lot while running from things trying to eat me lol

This reminds me of a time I was out on my saber, at the time the settings were high enough that he could fight almost everything, we feared no non alpha animals (no gigas back then) and we were out and ran into an alpha raptor, we fought it a bit but we were losing so we took off and ran off a cliff, thankfully we landed in water lol

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally tamed my first flyer, a pteranodon, like two days after their movement/stat changes. I would use him (Ugh, can't remember his name) to get a hundred metal at a time from a nearby hill. And then, I learned about scissors. I need this obsidian stuff so I can have a cool haircut, I thought. So I flew off from my base in The Footpaw, heading toward the volcano. Making frequent stops for stamina, I reached the edge of the Redwood Forest. I had heard tales of these jumping kitties that would dismount you in that area, so I flew straight upward until I had cleared the tallest tree by a good thirty feet before starting my way across. I finally made it across, and my bird's stamina was kind of iffy, but I had recently added another level into it. So I skipped landing for more stamina and sprinted toward the volcano, thinking I would barely make it.

Unfortunately, it turned out that I was almost to the side of it, maybe a hundred paces or so away, when my bird went into a dive. I was all like, "What's happening?" and starting to panic when I realized my mount was out of stamina. So as my bird floats downward, I'm beating myself up over not erring on the side of caution and landing for stamina when I had the chance. And then, my screen freezes. Or I think my screen freezes, because the bird stops in mid-air, but everything else is still going on around me. I can see a couple of dinos moving in the distance, but we're stuck. This lasts for a minute or so before I get the death screen and spawn back at my base.

That was my only flyer at the time, and I didn't have any land animals that could make that trip and survive. So I admittedly had a fit of newbie angst, thought about cheating my way back there, and finally said the heck with it.

I eventually tamed another pteranodon and flew to the volcano being much, much more cautious. Never found that first bird, but I certainly learned a valuable lesson. *Sigh*

Guest DJRone89

Just remembered, back on legacy in early 2016 we were progressing pretty well as a tribe but still complete noobs as a whole. Me and a buddy had obtained a Giga egg and were keeping it for later with the intention of hatching it when we expanded our base.

A tribe member fed the egg to an Oviraptor to tame it, but in vain because it still woke up. Me and my buddy were beyond pissed.

We found out months later that eggs need to be fertilized...

52 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

Just remembered, back on legacy in early 2016 we were progressing pretty well as a tribe but still complete noobs as a whole. Me and a buddy had obtained a Giga egg and were keeping it for later with the intention of hatching it when we expanded our base.

A tribe member fed the egg to an Oviraptor to tame it, but in vain because it still woke up. Me and my buddy were beyond pissed.

We found out months later that eggs need to be fertilized...

better than it being a super giga fertilized egg and him feeding it to it!

Guest DJRone89
14 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

better than it being a super giga fertilized egg and him feeding it to it!

Nah, you just eat them yourself instead lol

Lets see, built my whole base-by hand-from stone I gathered at one of the islands...my base was over near the swamp on center so would take my boat over to some safe islands near STI to get the resources. This was, of course, before Leeds so my boat was safe, but man did it take a long time to get that base made!!

Did this for two bases before finally learning how to tame an animal...

On 3/18/2018 at 1:02 PM, Cowgirl said:

I just want to hear the most hilarious stories from when you were a newbie. They can be because you were naive and adorably ignorant to the ways of ark, or anything funny! (those ones just amuse me the most)  For instance, when I was a newbie, and kibble had just been added a week or two prior I found a mammoth I wanted to tame. I had the eggs but I needed veggies and jerky. So I set to work making the jerky, I said something like "I doubt it will take that long to make the jerky!" ahahahahaha!!!! Oh how naive I was xD Also you should have seen me flip a lid when the dodos that I had had for like a month and a half suddenly started laying eggs!

When I first started back on legacy, I made a super tall buff character and spawned in on an easy zone. upon discovering my first triceratops I punched the thing a crap ton and somehow It knocked out. Looking back on this I don't know why my level 1 character knocked out a dinosaur with its fist but it happened. Well upon knocking it out I discovered taming was done this way as I noticed a taming bar. I picked up 3 berries after 10 minutes of trying to punch bushes. I loaded them into its inventory and was sad to discover that it would tame about .3% and reset to 0. 

So I just had a noob moment over the weekend. Which wouldn't be bad, except for my thousands of hours played already.

I play on PS4. I just discovered that when in third person, if I push down on the big touch pad in the middle of the controller, it will tyell me in the top left hand part of the screen the time, temp, and what part of the map I am in! I can't believe all this time I didn't know this could be done. I am so dumb.

12 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

So I just had a noob moment over the weekend. Which wouldn't be bad, except for my thousands of hours played already.

I play on PS4. I just discovered that when in third person, if I push down on the big touch pad in the middle of the controller, it will tyell me in the top left hand part of the screen the time, temp, and what part of the map I am in! I can't believe all this time I didn't know this could be done. I am so dumb.

Lets be honest. We all have these moments....

Guest DJRone89
34 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

To be fair, it’s a relatively new feature that was only added a couple patches or so ago. Before, you had to hold it down but now it’s a toggle. It was added the same time scrolling chat for consoles became a feature.

1 hour ago, Aushegun said:

If it makes you feel ANY better, I have over 4,100 hours (most were played, probably 5 total are AFK) and YESTERDAY I chose "transfer all" into the feeding trough while holding 5 different kinds of kibble (I was only wanting to transfer the spoiled meat) THAT is how I learned that tamed animals love bronto kibble. (Thankfully I have very fast reaction time and I got the rest back out before it was all eaten)

My biggest "D'oh!" moment came after I tamed my first bee. The taming took place quite far from where my base was located. I spent the next 3 hours slowly flying the bee back to my base (bees have such slow move speed). It wasn't until I got the bee back to my base that I realized you simply press the action button on the bee and it becomes a hive in your inventory....

D'OH!

I didn't realise that you could filter your (or your Dino's) inventory through the search function, then drop all of a specific item leaving the rest of the inventory intact.

Someone on the server was crying out for meat as they were raising babies and was running out. I threw ~3000 meat at him, one stack at a time.......

My worst moment was probably yesterday. I just killed a giga with my lightning wyvern and had about 1k Hp left after the fight. When I flew home then, I forgot to pay attention to my stamina and the wyvern landed automatically because it ran out of stamina. It somehow landed in mid-air a little above ground and died from falling damage. It was a lvl 190 breed with 100% imprint. 

So, always pay attention to your stamina :P 

Hello,

Taming Equus (horse). I had one stack of taming food for the horse. Going round and round like crazy. Adter some time or 70 horse foods later I started to get worried. That I will run out of food :) Looking how taming bar moved. Taming bar goes up and until next feeding time it goes down about 95%. So I figured I need two stacks or more to tame the horse. Naturakly taming for that long I ruined the TE completely. Doh it is a bug now :) feeling like a beginner I never told anyone.

Ilater tamed 4 very nice equus once the bug was fixed. I also tried to tame the unicorn solo, lost my Rex and one Argent and the unicorn died.

I now look at dododex everytime to see if something is wrong during taming. If not for other players getting the corrwct information I still be taming equus :)

Regards,

Ariana 

7 hours ago, TheJoker957 said:

My worst moment was probably yesterday. I just killed a giga with my lightning wyvern and had about 1k Hp left after the fight. When I flew home then, I forgot to pay attention to my stamina and the wyvern landed automatically because it ran out of stamina. It somehow landed in mid-air a little above ground and died from falling damage. It was a lvl 190 breed with 100% imprint. 

My condolences!

8 hours ago, TheJoker957 said:

OMG!  damn that is one of those throw your controller across the room moments! And of course it was a Wyvern, one of the few Dinos you can't breed and have back up eggs sitting in a Fridge for instances just like yours.

RIP Lightning Wyvern :Jerbcry:

When I was new to the game, I didn't read any guides or anything, just flew right into it (took a while to figure out public chat even).

My first true noob mistake was making the assumption "Oh, I see all of these meat eating Dilos, Raptors and Troodons that want to kill me.    But the Trikes and Stegos and other Plant eaters seem cool with me right next to them so Herbivores must be passive unless you hit them."

Not long after that I had my first encounter with a Therizinosaur...yeah you know what's coming.    I observed it across the river, saw it using its odd motion to harvest bushes and thought "Oh, herbivore, looks kinda funny".    Went along with my business which at the time was collecting stones and harvesting fish.    Wandered too close to the Theriz.    Obvious trauma happened.

Not to be discourarged, I decided that this would be a good thing to tame (at this point I had gotten a few Dilos, a dodos and a raptor).     Suffice to say, after a gruelling fight where I abused cliffs and an abandond half constructed base of some offliner to stay alive...I found I had grossly underestimated how much time, berries and narcotics it would take to tame this thing...

11 hours ago, TheJoker957 said:

What would P me off the most would be the fact it died because of a bug.  Flyers dont take fall dmg because they slow fly to the ground.  Id get PO'ed make a topic in bug reports "cursing out" WC, go to the trenches and destroywilddinos then spawn a crap ton of 190 lightnings, fly away a moment then return, and reap a harvest of 190 lightning eggs.  My defense in cheating?  The game F'ed me 1st with a BS bug, so i F'ed it back harder lol.

47 minutes ago, Migol said:

When I was new to the game, I didn't read any guides or anything, just flew right into it (took a while to figure out public chat even).

My first true noob mistake was making the assumption "Oh, I see all of these meat eating Dilos, Raptors and Troodons that want to kill me.    But the Trikes and Stegos and other Plant eaters seem cool with me right next to them so Herbivores must be passive unless you hit them."

Not long after that I had my first encounter with a Therizinosaur...yeah you know what's coming.    I observed it across the river, saw it using its odd motion to harvest bushes and thought "Oh, herbivore, looks kinda funny".    Went along with my business which at the time was collecting stones and harvesting fish.    Wandered too close to the Theriz.    Obvious trauma happened.

Not to be discourarged, I decided that this would be a good thing to tame (at this point I had gotten a few Dilos, a dodos and a raptor).     Suffice to say, after a gruelling fight where I abused cliffs and an abandond half constructed base of some offliner to stay alive...I found I had grossly underestimated how much time, berries and narcotics it would take to tame this thing...

Yes, zinos are definitely a lot of work to obtain, but oh man they are worth it!

Archived