"When I was a newbie..."

Cowgirl

Breeding had just come out when I was a newbie.  So of course I wanted a baby!  At that time, I had parasaurs, two raptors, and a few dilos.  So I  at first I combed the beaches looking for wild dinos that were mate boosted, and waited for an egg.  I sat next to a pair of parasaurs for almost an hour, trying to figure out why the wild parasaurs weren't dropping an egg even though they were clearly on wander.

I finally went back to base, looked a few things up, watched a video, and realized you could only get fertilized eggs from tamed creatures.  I put my two highest level dilos together, set them to wander in a pen, and got an egg.  (Back then I didn't know you could spam 'u' to get them to breed in place, you see.)  I then placed the egg next to a single campfire, and babysat that egg the whole time--picking it up when it got too cold (at night), placing it back down.

The egg hatched, and I had no refrigerators.  I was not prepared for how much a baby would eat.  I had not dreamed of how much the baby would eat.  This tiny dilo looked up at me with it's giant eyes, tiny mouth open, and demanded food.  So much food.  So so much food.  Within 10 minutes, I was out, and panicking.  My tribemate went out on our sad sad "battleraptor" and began scrounging for anything he could eat.  This was back in the days with no dino caps, so when more than 15 people on the server, the wild dino population went to 0.

We scrounged and scrounged for about 40 minutes before my tribe mate finally convinced me that there was no way we could bring this baby into adulthood, so I sadly logged off (I did not want to see the death message).

Determined, I then hatched a parasaur egg, gathering berries by hand.  I had no trike at the time, you see, and I REALLY wanted to do this newfangled  breeding thing in this brand new game I had purchased.  Everything was going swell until I got distracted by a titanboa, forgot about the baby, and got the red text of death.

It was a few weeks (and a few fridges later) before we dipped our toes into breeding again.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

I first started breeding with Dimos. The first time I started with a few males and a few females. Had a 3x3x3 sealed raft build I was breeding on parked in the Herbivore island bay on a PvP server. It ended up working out perfectly for breeding small stuff, but I didn't realize that babies were born on wander since they auto-follow the moment you claim them. I logged off and wasn't able to get back on for another 2 days.

When I logged back in, the roof of my raft had a hole in it, and there were like 50+ dimos flying around inside with some babies and juveniles meandering around. I looked outside and there were a couple dozen dimos sitting on the beach. A tribe on the server said had tried to raid the raft, but when they broke in it was apparently like a bunch of bats flying out of a cave in a horror movie. Since it was a hyper-PvP server (like 15x all, monthly wipes) apparently there were like 400+ unclaimed dimos that were still breeding in the wild and dropping fertilized eggs everywhere. They ended up needing to wipe all dimos on the server. It was beautiful.

That is such a fantastic story! lololol

7 hours ago, Wasabolito said:

Breeding had just come out when I was a newbie.  So of course I wanted a baby!  At that time, I had parasaurs, two raptors, and a few dilos.  So I  at first I combed the beaches looking for wild dinos that were mate boosted, and waited for an egg.  I sat next to a pair of parasaurs for almost an hour, trying to figure out why the wild parasaurs weren't dropping an egg even though they were clearly on wander.

I finally went back to base, looked a few things up, watched a video, and realized you could only get fertilized eggs from tamed creatures.  I put my two highest level dilos together, set them to wander in a pen, and got an egg.  (Back then I didn't know you could spam 'u' to get them to breed in place, you see.)  I then placed the egg next to a single campfire, and babysat that egg the whole time--picking it up when it got too cold (at night), placing it back down.

The egg hatched, and I had no refrigerators.  I was not prepared for how much a baby would eat.  I had not dreamed of how much the baby would eat.  This tiny dilo looked up at me with it's giant eyes, tiny mouth open, and demanded food.  So much food.  So so much food.  Within 10 minutes, I was out, and panicking.  My tribemate went out on our sad sad "battleraptor" and began scrounging for anything he could eat.  This was back in the days with no dino caps, so when more than 15 people on the server, the wild dino population went to 0.

We scrounged and scrounged for about 40 minutes before my tribe mate finally convinced me that there was no way we could bring this baby into adulthood, so I sadly logged off (I did not want to see the death message).

Determined, I then hatched a parasaur egg, gathering berries by hand.  I had no trike at the time, you see, and I REALLY wanted to do this newfangled  breeding thing in this brand new game I had purchased.  Everything was going swell until I got distracted by a titanboa, forgot about the baby, and got the red text of death.

It was a few weeks (and a few fridges later) before we dipped our toes into breeding again.

If breeding was new the dilo may have been hit by the bug where they eat like 20x what they are supposed to, that sucks! (once I was so busy cooing over the adorable baby monkey I had that I forgot to feed him and he starved lol)

Maybe a week into playing back when gather rates were half of what they are now, my wife and I found this gorgeous spot to build (west on the island just where the sand turns to snow) and spent 4 hours building a beautiful WOODEN treehouse with a huge runway for our pteras. Just as we were finishing 3 rexes strolled up, we laughed and hid inside the cabin room we built on the upper level. Wasn't long before we realized rexes could damage wood and weren't overly bothered by our spears. 

1 hour ago, FreelancerKnux said:

Maybe a week into playing back when gather rates were half of what they are now, my wife and I found this gorgeous spot to build (west on the island just where the sand turns to snow) and spent 4 hours building a beautiful WOODEN treehouse with a huge runway for our pteras. Just as we were finishing 3 rexes strolled up, we laughed and hid inside the cabin room we built on the upper level. Wasn't long before we realized rexes could damage wood and weren't overly bothered by our spears. 

I built there once on a private server I believe, that is rough!

I recalled getting pissed off about dying to raptors, so the first thing I did when I got stone was to replace all my woden stuff at the bottom of my "Fort" (I called it a fort and placed signs directing me and others to it in case I got lost) with stone. of course, an alpha raptor showed up, so I began the longest battle of my Ark life. It took my around 3 hours of maneuvering and attacking, but I won in the end with ZERO deaths. Then a carno showed up while I was doing a victory lap down the beach and ate me.

1 hour ago, THESHREKONING said:

I recalled getting pissed off about dying to raptors, so the first thing I did when I got stone was to replace all my woden stuff at the bottom of my "Fort" (I called it a fort and placed signs directing me and others to it in case I got lost) with stone. of course, an alpha raptor showed up, so I began the longest battle of my Ark life. It took my around 3 hours of maneuvering and attacking, but I won in the end with ZERO deaths. Then a carno showed up while I was doing a victory lap down the beach and ate me.

1st rule of any victory, never celebrate alone lol

I remember taming our first quetzal on our old legacy Centre PVE map. I made a rudimentary trap with the intent to tame a better one. A tribe that knew I was after one spotted a 135 F off the West coast of Lava so I grabbed my kibble and darts and flew after it. By the time I caught it, it was just off the coast of North snowy mountain.

About an hour and a half into the tame, I finally noticed that the flak armour I had on was not keeping me warm enough and my health was less than a quarter and I was all but out of cooked meat. I put out a request for help, and a tribe that I'd never had contact with previously flew all the way from Redwood with fur and meat. They had to throw it from their inventory into my platform saddle, and I nearly fell off twice trying to grab it, but it was a defining moment for me in Ark, realising that there were some really nice folk out there, and to be better prepared when going to long and awkward tames.

On 3/23/2018 at 2:57 PM, LouSpowells said:

I first started breeding with Dimos. The first time I started with a few males and a few females. Had a 3x3x3 sealed raft build I was breeding on parked in the Herbivore island bay on a PvP server. It ended up working out perfectly for breeding small stuff, but I didn't realize that babies were born on wander since they auto-follow the moment you claim them. I logged off and wasn't able to get back on for another 2 days.

When I logged back in, the roof of my raft had a hole in it, and there were like 50+ dimos flying around inside with some babies and juveniles meandering around. I looked outside and there were a couple dozen dimos sitting on the beach. A tribe on the server said had tried to raid the raft, but when they broke in it was apparently like a bunch of bats flying out of a cave in a horror movie. Since it was a hyper-PvP server (like 15x all, monthly wipes) apparently there were like 400+ unclaimed dimos that were still breeding in the wild and dropping fertilized eggs everywhere. They ended up needing to wipe all dimos on the server. It was beautiful.

I did basically the same thing, but on my single player. (Increased breeding /hatching/maturing rates)  I had tamed 2-3 males Level 100+ and about 5 females Level 100+. I put these Dimos in a 2x2 stone building, and had 3-4 food bins around it. I stayed in the building for the first round of hatching and raising, but then I started getting the fighting music, so I ran out to the base to see what was going on. Turns out an Alpha raptor was causing havoc, as it had somehow gotten over the fence perimeter, and all my animals were on passive (since I thought they were "safe" in my base). Ended up fighting off the Alpha, but had a bunch of wounded dinos. So I took my Argy out to gather some meat the heal them up. During my first meat run, I saw a a blue Doed, and I had always wanted one. So I went out to tame it. Then I wanted to test it out, then I wanted and Anky.... and so on and so on. So this was over a weekend, and I played a ton of hours. Then I played again 3-4 hours each night that week after work. finally the following weekend I notice that my gameplay is really lagging when I'm on one side of the mountain my base is on. Then while flying around, I see my 2x2 building, and I think "oh yeah, I was breeding Dimos". So I fly down, and the gameplay nearly stops, the entire screen is filled up with red unclaimed dimos. I'm talking hundreds! I tried to kill them, but there were just too many. So I googled a few things, and found out I could do the destroy all xxx command.  Made the same mistake about 3 months later on Scorched with Jerboas.  What a mess!

1 hour ago, MoralDK said:

When I was a newbie and the fridge first came out, the E key would turn it off and on.  Not open it like it does now.  

Ya i hate it when im just trying to get inside my things and im starting fires and flipping off my generator lol.  It didnt take too long for me to realize to use the other button.

After first playing on the PC for a few months, back when the cold didn't actually do anything to you, just got the ice cube.

Fast forward to when it previewed on XBOX, started playing again, found a very helpful and friendly server, various tribes gave dinos to me the first week, one of which was an Argy.

So I quickly decided to fly to Blue Ob to farm for materials. Saw the normal ice cube pop up, was not taking any damage. Thought I was good to go.

As soon as I jumped off the Argy, my health started to drop FAST, I jump back on Argy and it still continued to drop. Tried to fly away as fast as I could, I died on the back of the Argy somewhere over the mountain. Still, have not found her to this day.....

31 minutes ago, MoralDK said:

That's right! It was a lot of stuff, wasn't it?

Ya but now we got the problem with the tek helmet where we dismount or throw our shoulder pet when trying to use the visions.  Or if you try to throw your pet and it messes up your helmet lol.  Sega had the right idea, 6 buttons.  Cmon sony and micro, adding * # and C Z wouldnt be that hard lol.

12 minutes ago, Onimusha759 said:

Ya but now we got the problem with the tek helmet where we dismount or throw our shoulder pet when trying to use the visions.  Or if you try to throw your pet and it messes up your helmet lol.  Sega had the right idea, 6 buttons.  Cmon sony and micro, adding * # and C Z wouldnt be that hard lol.

I play Single player,  and after seeing all these videos with the TEK gear, I decided to give it a shot.  Well for the life of me, I could not figure out how to work the controls for any of the TEK armor, I would find myself flying, then crashing, or running fast and then stopping, and I NEVER got the helmet/visor to work.  I searched and googled and nothing was found on the controls for PS4 and TEK armor usage. So FORK it, I gave up on it, and have never used it since.

So I guess I am still a Newbie when it comes to TEK.

I'm sure I am not the only one, who upon taming their first flyer (Ptera) took off with it, and wanting to do the cool barrel rolls I saw in the YouTube videos promptly jumped off the PTera mid-air, fell to my death and then would see the death message that something ate my Ptera too.  Literally happened the first 2 Pteras I ever tamed!  I then got smart and tamed a couple and before trying again, so I would have back up.

2 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

I play Single player,  and after seeing all these videos with the TEK gear, I decided to give it a shot.  Well for the life of me, I could not figure out how to work the controls for any of the TEK armor, I would find myself flying, then crashing, or running fast and then stopping, and I NEVER got the helmet/visor to work.  I searched and googled and nothing was found on the controls for PS4 and TEK armor usage. So FORK it, I gave up on it, and have never used it since.

For ps4 it turns on by either double tap triangle(which would throw your shoulder pet) or hold triangle.  Double tapping triangle also switches its view modes.  I believe holding L2 makes you run and R1 is the punch.  Double X is a thrust up and any touch of X while running or mid air causes it to activate also.  Pressing crouch in air cause a hover mode, its very effective underwater to get around.

8 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

I'm sure I am not the only one, who upon taming their first flyer (Ptera) took off with it, and wanting to do the cool barrel rolls I saw in the YouTube videos promptly jumped off the PTera mid-air, fell to my death and then would see the death message that something ate my Ptera too.  Literally happened the first 2 Pteras I ever tamed!  I then got smart and tamed a couple and before trying again, so I would have back up.

Tribes I own AWAYS have one rule that, if broken, you are kicked, first offense.  If you are on a flier you will have that flier set to follow you and you will have at minimum 2 parachutes in your quickbar when flying.  No excuse to lose a flier if following those rules.  I developed said rule shortly after losing way too many fliers as a newb.

18 minutes ago, JamesDoty said:

Tribes I own AWAYS have one rule that, if broken, you are kicked, first offense.  If you are on a flier you will have that flier set to follow you and you will have at minimum 2 parachutes in your quickbar when flying.  No excuse to lose a flier if following those rules.  I developed said rule shortly after losing way too many fliers as a newb.

I always fly with parachute now, and and my flyer on follow.  So that is a good rule for your tribe!

21 minutes ago, JamesDoty said:

Iv never lost a flyer from falling but i have lost em from shooting the idiot because it was following me with the horrible and insanely annoying AI

5 minutes ago, Neverender said:

My friend gave me a crossbow and some tranq arrows to knock out something I wanted to tame. Half an hour later they came back to me shooting a dilo with tranq arrows to keep it from waking up.

I had lost several dodos by that point to the same thing. 

Thank god for nooblets and his beginner guide video, without which i would probably of done the same thing lol

Archived