"When I was a newbie..."

Cowgirl

I have seen many mistakes in this topic I also made x) (taming efficiency, whats da?!) These are two I hadnt seen yet;

- I took me several months to figure out that the use for a spyglass was to see the level of a creature... I would always just fly/walk close to it and try not to get eaten *sigh*

- I didnt know dinos could gather resources other than meat/berries, I was mindblown when I got taken on a metal run in my first tribe

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On day one, hour 2 of Ark life I kept getting killed by a pack of meganura outside my hut not know why they kept attacking me when ever I went to hunt something. I spent hours almost 16 hours taming up a pack of dilo's to help me kill them. When I went looking for them they were gone and a carno destroyed me and dilo's and was lured right outside my straw hut as I kept re-spawning and trying to kill it.

I moved server to get away...

2 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

I’m on Xbox, but back when we played legacy, one of the guys asked why we kept landing our flyers and said “just press X”. We still bring it up from time to time because it’s hilarious.

2 of what I Iisted, I found out when I moved to unofficials, months later lol.

P.S. Thank you for making this thread :D

I often reminisce on my early days compared to how I play now. Raft building has definitely come a long way.

omg, that reminds me back when there literally was not a land button for fliers (at that point pteras and argies were the only fliers) if you wanted to get stam you had to go near the ground, jump off and spam the "all stop" button and hope with all your might that nothing came out of the bushes and ate your face, or your bird didn't fly off lol and omg once they added the ability to walk once landed, GOOOLLLDDEENNNN! Also you're welcome, I am glad I made this thread, so much funny and interesting things!

5 minutes ago, Zambezi said:

On day one, hour 2 of Ark life I kept getting killed by a pack of meganura outside my hut not know why they kept attacking me when ever I went to hunt something. I spent hours almost 16 hours taming up a pack of dilo's to help me kill them. When I went looking for them they were gone and a carno destroyed me and dilo's and was lured right outside my straw hut as I kept re-spawning and trying to kill it.

I moved server to get away...

I live by the swamp, you would be flabberghasted at how many thatch huts I find. I hate going in there and my character is lvl 99 with the option to lvl! IDK why a lvl 12 newbie thinks the swamp is a good place to live xD (the huts are ALWAYS abandoned after a short period lol)

So me and my friends were on an official pvp server with chinese alphas. We decided to build in a cave so they wouldn't find us (lower south cave). We hid there for about a month or two, got turrets up and everything. When we got raided we held them off but they put turrets outside so we couldn't get out. In an effort to get past the turrets (they had 1 or 2 near the entrance of the cave) we decided to use a rocket launcher to blow the turret up.

We needed to keep the pressure off the guy with the rocket though so we decided to have the person with the highest health run up first and tank bullets (he had like 300 hp and prim flak). We had him hold a dodo as a bullet shield while the guy shot the rocket. Rocket blew up in our face and we lost, but we still have good laughs about it haha.

me and my friend's first base on day one was a thatch hut near the eastern shore of the island right up next to the swamp because the swamp looked pretty. we didn't know snakes could climb into our house and we spent like two hours trying to get the snakes out of our house and eventually we got a trike out of it because a wild trike tanked the snakes so we could kill them. 

My very first noob moments were.

Trying to tame a alpha raptor.

Going to tame a better anky and forgot my Rex was set to attack my target, RIP anky.

Another time I was exploring the mountains feeling unstoppable on my lvl 309 Rex with a journey man saddle then I see a very large tail sticking out of the side of the mountain I ran over to it the giga was only lvl 8 no way I could lose this fight I thought so I bit it's tail as the very large angry beast was turning around I ignorantly kept chomping away, suffice to say that my Rex quickly died and I just sat there for a few moments in shock and awe of the hulking beast that just shredded my Rex.

I remember my first noob moments after I raised my first lightning wyvern.

Oh it's fine I'll just hop off and collect that bag and my Dino murdered me in cold blood(i hopped off during the lightning attack).

Not long after that I used the lightning to kill a Dino going to attack my tribe mate and accidentally killed him.

I finally learnt my lesson.

My early noob moment. very very early in the game and walking about in just my pants (as you do).

Saw my 1st dino, a trike. walked up to it, no hassle, looks nice, lets keep going. about 5 mins later, i hadnt seen any other dinos, and ove the hill is my 1st rex. watch it kill a few dilo's and it kind of calms down and wanders away. Me being the noob at the time thought, i will have a look at this fella.

Yup, about 10 secs later after he roared, i ran and swiftly got chomped.

7 hours ago, Lenok said:

I collected stones on the shore because I did not know that you can cut the stones with an ax)) I built huge houses collecting stones only from the ground. It was hell.

I commend you on your commitment! At my oldest base I have a fence that I set every other set of walls/fence foundations to be metal, I collected all that metal by hand with an argent, AND it was back when the gather was half what it is now lol

2 minutes ago, Frogspoison said:

Did not understand how to remote-use items, so I kept trikes, parasaurs, stegos, ect under by whacking em with a club. Took about a week before I figured it out, and couldn't tame any Dodos, because I couldn't keep them under with a club.

I was the opposite! I FORGOT you can keep dinos under by hitting them, so the first raptor I ever took down woke up cause I couldnt find narcos fast enough lol

I had been playing for a few days and had finally gotten my 3x3 wood shack set up. I was in an area that had regular troodon spawns, so I learned how to quickly run and get into my house and be safe. Then came the time when when I was just a bit too slow at closing the door and now I was inside with the troodon. So thinking quick I opened the door, jumped outside, and then closed the door leaving the troodon inside my house. Ok, now what do I do? Then of all times, one of the neighbors decides I can survive and comes to introduce himself. Of course he asks me if I know there is a troodon in my house. I still had no clue about how to activate chat, so all I could do was make body motions in response. God only knows what he thought about my situation. In the end, I did manage to kill my unwanted house guest with spears as it stuck its head through the walls, but in the process, most of my stuff inside was destroyed.

On 3/19/2018 at 9:07 AM, wasser510 said:

I`ve wasted hundrets of narc arrows on an alpha carno because i wanted to tame it :D

(Had only Trike + Dodo at this point)

I did something much like that. I trapped not one, but two alpha raptors in a taming pen. Thinking that I had just won the ARK lottery. I used all of my narcs trying to make enough arrows to knock them out. Then as I was frantically farming more berries on my trike they broke out of the (stone) taming pen and killed me, and the trike of course.

Way back in the day...

Bolas didn't exist and neither did most of the animals that are in game now, so raptors were actually a pretty big deal to tame as a newbie. But back then taming calculators didn't exist, and not knowing how to play/distribute player stats well, so mine ended up waking up and I had to KO it again and retame, without any narcs and on raw meat. Also I didn't have hide armor and it was close to the water so I was constantly cold/freezing and had to keep a fire going the whole time. I now always have a significant amount of fortitude on any character I play because of that memory.

Also way back in the day, the lack of taming calcs and everyone being new/having no stockpiled narcotics meant if you were solo or in a very small tribe any big tame was often practically a server event as any players around you would pitch in to help gather meat while you/your tribemates frantically farmed enough narcoberries by hand to keep your carno/rex asleep (spinos weren't in game yet). Early game servers were absolutely littered with "taming foundations" - a single thatch foundation with a mortar, usually with a campfire and maybe a sleeping bag. Reminding people to remove those was a constant source of irritation. Taming pens weren't a thing, and almost no one even used spike walls (because most of us didn't have enough hide to spare).

Built myself a huge metal base...3/4s of the way through the build frogs came out. That's right, I built in metal before quetz or frogs, on the original gather rates. On the bright side I was the only person on the server with no fear of gigas when they were released, lol.

It was PVE but animals set to aggressive wander would still chase players/tamed animals, leading to a particularly persistent turtle annoying myself and my neighbors for weeks as nothing decayed back then, nor were there claim timers. We had to wait for the thing to starve as nothing in the area spawned that could kill it and no one had birds to kite with.

Speaking of, there was a time when anyone could access an unconscious animal's inventory even if they didn't KO/tame it. While this could lead to huge amounts of griefing, on my server it led to people being narco fairies--if someone passed by a taming animal with no player in sight they would often help by feeding it narcos if it was close to waking or leaving food for it so it stayed down and kept taming. My very first tame (a turtle) was only successful because of someone else's generosity.

My server had a "city" of untribed players spread out all over the area around the then-green, now red obelisk. Wild animals could and would hit other players/tames/structures and could aggro on them even if you were offline if someone else happened to annoy something in the area. Someone accidentally a bronto and ran back to their base, thinking that would be safe or something. You can imagine how that went, since most of the houses were just thatch noob huts...it wrecked a significant part of the "city" and killed quite a few tames before wandering away.

To be honest I kind of miss those crazy, chaotic early days when no one knew what they were doing and you really looked up to the people who had early rexes, because that was an actual achievement back then.

On a raft mission, south east passing herbivore island. My tribe mate exclaimed at the size of 'bronto' he could see that had something like rocks on its back. We sailed closer and closer to have a look, but it didn't aggro on us with my tribe mate eventually jumping off the raft for a closer look.

Then he says "I'll shoot an arrow at it to see what it does..." followed by " F*** F*** F*** GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!"

We laughed all the way up the coast to the snow biome.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, Cowgirl said:

I just want to hear the most hilarious stories from when you were a newbie. They can be because you were naive and adorably ignorant to the ways of ark, or anything funny! (those ones just amuse me the most)  For instance, when I was a newbie, and kibble had just been added a week or two prior I found a mammoth I wanted to tame. I had the eggs but I needed veggies and jerky. So I set to work making the jerky, I said something like "I doubt it will take that long to make the jerky!" ahahahahaha!!!! Oh how naive I was xD Also you should have seen me flip a lid when the dodos that I had had for like a month and a half suddenly started laying eggs!

When I was a newbie, I swore up and down that GMs were controlling some wild dinos.  I would accuse them of controlling that friggin scorpion that always appears right as you are about to finish taming something.

Love these topics. I'm a big one for trying to figure out things on my own so made many mistakes.  Took about a month to figure out that you didn't need to fully submerge yourself to get a drink.  Took about a week how to figure out how to tame anything then I tamed every dodo on the beach, but my biggest noob mistake was thinking I had to be in the menu for items to craft.  Would just watch you tube or something while waiting on 100"s of narcotic.  Finally after about two weeks I got started a bunch of narcotic and went to do something else before staring at the menu only to find most had crafted by the time I got back. Never admitted that one to any my tribe mates felt too stupid on all the time I had wasted.

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 10:53 AM, DJRone89 said:

I’m on Xbox, but back when we played legacy, one of the guys asked why we kept landing our flyers and said “just press X”. We still bring it up from time to time because it’s hilarious.

2 of what I Iisted, I found out when I moved to unofficials, months later lol.

P.S. Thank you for making this thread :D

I often reminisce on my early days compared to how I play now. Raft building has definitely come a long way.

One could say raft building has gone backwards :(

9 hours ago, Cymas said:

Way back in the day...

Bolas didn't exist and neither did most of the animals that are in game now, so raptors were actually a pretty big deal to tame as a newbie. But back then taming calculators didn't exist, and not knowing how to play/distribute player stats well, so mine ended up waking up and I had to KO it again and retame, without any narcs and on raw meat. Also I didn't have hide armor and it was close to the water so I was constantly cold/freezing and had to keep a fire going the whole time. I now always have a significant amount of fortitude on any character I play because of that memory.

Also way back in the day, the lack of taming calcs and everyone being new/having no stockpiled narcotics meant if you were solo or in a very small tribe any big tame was often practically a server event as any players around you would pitch in to help gather meat while you/your tribemates frantically farmed enough narcoberries by hand to keep your carno/rex asleep (spinos weren't in game yet). Early game servers were absolutely littered with "taming foundations" - a single thatch foundation with a mortar, usually with a campfire and maybe a sleeping bag. Reminding people to remove those was a constant source of irritation. Taming pens weren't a thing, and almost no one even used spike walls (because most of us didn't have enough hide to spare).

Built myself a huge metal base...3/4s of the way through the build frogs came out. That's right, I built in metal before quetz or frogs, on the original gather rates. On the bright side I was the only person on the server with no fear of gigas when they were released, lol.

It was PVE but animals set to aggressive wander would still chase players/tamed animals, leading to a particularly persistent turtle annoying myself and my neighbors for weeks as nothing decayed back then, nor were there claim timers. We had to wait for the thing to starve as nothing in the area spawned that could kill it and no one had birds to kite with.

Speaking of, there was a time when anyone could access an unconscious animal's inventory even if they didn't KO/tame it. While this could lead to huge amounts of griefing, on my server it led to people being narco fairies--if someone passed by a taming animal with no player in sight they would often help by feeding it narcos if it was close to waking or leaving food for it so it stayed down and kept taming. My very first tame (a turtle) was only successful because of someone else's generosity.

My server had a "city" of untribed players spread out all over the area around the then-green, now red obelisk. Wild animals could and would hit other players/tames/structures and could aggro on them even if you were offline if someone else happened to annoy something in the area. Someone accidentally a bronto and ran back to their base, thinking that would be safe or something. You can imagine how that went, since most of the houses were just thatch noob huts...it wrecked a significant part of the "city" and killed quite a few tames before wandering away.

To be honest I kind of miss those crazy, chaotic early days when no one knew what they were doing and you really looked up to the people who had early rexes, because that was an actual achievement back then.

I used to "run primes" (what i called it) collecting primes and helping people tame, I was pretty good at it! I even got better once they did the type in the inventory, but omg I remember back before everything locked,  had a bunch  of stuff stolen, someone must have glitched into my base, I was so mad. Then this post everything locking chick was saying it was my fault for not locking my stuff I was like dude this was BEFORE locking...

1 hour ago, DizzyDo said:

Love these topics. I'm a big one for trying to figure out things on my own so made many mistakes.  Took about a month to figure out that you didn't need to fully submerge yourself to get a drink.  Took about a week how to figure out how to tame anything then I tamed every dodo on the beach, but my biggest noob mistake was thinking I had to be in the menu for items to craft.  Would just watch you tube or something while waiting on 100"s of narcotic.  Finally after about two weeks I got started a bunch of narcotic and went to do something else before staring at the menu only to find most had crafted by the time I got back. Never admitted that one to any my tribe mates felt too stupid on all the time I had wasted.

Back when I was a newbie I had watched youtube for like 2 weeks prior to getting Ark to see if it was something I really wanted, well you DID have to fully submerge back then! It sucked! Piranha!

I first started breeding with Dimos. The first time I started with a few males and a few females. Had a 3x3x3 sealed raft build I was breeding on parked in the Herbivore island bay on a PvP server. It ended up working out perfectly for breeding small stuff, but I didn't realize that babies were born on wander since they auto-follow the moment you claim them. I logged off and wasn't able to get back on for another 2 days.

When I logged back in, the roof of my raft had a hole in it, and there were like 50+ dimos flying around inside with some babies and juveniles meandering around. I looked outside and there were a couple dozen dimos sitting on the beach. A tribe on the server said had tried to raid the raft, but when they broke in it was apparently like a bunch of bats flying out of a cave in a horror movie. Since it was a hyper-PvP server (like 15x all, monthly wipes) apparently there were like 400+ unclaimed dimos that were still breeding in the wild and dropping fertilized eggs everywhere. They ended up needing to wipe all dimos on the server. It was beautiful.

Archived