"When I was a newbie..."

Cowgirl

42 minutes ago, Chudz66 said:

There was a bronto stuck halfway up a cliff, and I was out for revenge. For during an earlier session, on my non-dedicated with a friend, he had attacked a bronto because it was level four and he was level ten. He was used to MMORPG levels, thinking a level ten could easily defeat a level four, and we all know it doesn't quite work that way. So, back to the lust for revenge and greed for all the resources I was going to get. (That precious hide!)

I clambered my way up the cliff, managed to get above it, and drew out my new bow. Arrow after arrow went flying toward the behemoth. After several bow repairs and a break to make some more arrows, it was really bloody, and I was excited about what other treasures a monstrosity like this would drop. And then, the last arrow went flying toward it, impacting with a thunk, and . . . .

The bronto shot into fleeping space!

I was like, "But . . . but . . . mah treasure!"

ahhh yes those used to do that so bad. It was SOOOO annoying back when only 3-4 animals dropped prime meats. now mind you back in those days not only did few animals drop prime, BUT there was no kibble, the collection rates were half what they were now, and even still they had it to where they dropped less, so brontos were your best bet, but 7-8 times out of 10 the thing would fly away.... (but even if you got it you were VERY LUCKY to get 2 prime meats from a bronto)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Chudz66 said:

There was a bronto stuck halfway up a cliff, and I was out for revenge. For during an earlier session, on my non-dedicated with a friend, he had attacked a bronto because it was level four and he was level ten. He was used to MMORPG levels, thinking a level ten could easily defeat a level four, and we all know it doesn't quite work that way. So, back to the lust for revenge and greed for all the resources I was going to get. (That precious hide!)

I clambered my way up the cliff, managed to get above it, and drew out my new bow. Arrow after arrow went flying toward the behemoth. After several bow repairs and a break to make some more arrows, it was really bloody, and I was excited about what other treasures a monstrosity like this would drop. And then, the last arrow went flying toward it, impacting with a thunk, and . . . .

The bronto shot into fleeping space!

I was like, "But . . . but . . . mah treasure!"

Hahahahaha, oh god i would of been so PO'ed lol.  Funny thing is as a noob you didnt realize you did all that work for nothing special and then you lost it anyways xD

1 minute ago, Snapshot said:

When I first started I had no idea what I was doing so I just started running around punching dinos cause I hadn't read up on how to tame stuff. I learned very quickly a level 4 turtle will beat a level 10 human every single time.

Not if you got a spear or 3...Or like 10 for when your spear breaks and the next 1 insta breaks.  Theres a noob story right there too lol

Brains a bit fuzzy on the early days but some memories are:

1. 'Oh boy, I cant wait to hit the higher levels to start learning engrams that are not primitive.' Didnt know Blueprints were a thing, and started to get worried when hitting the higher levels (high 50s for example) and still hadnt unlocked better than primitive hide armour.

2. Used to think it was better to keep tamed dinos on wander so made a big massive pen to keep them all happily wandering. 

3. Still unsure on what happened when logged out of the game. Logged out of my single player midair on my argent once. Got a surprise upon logging back in.

Another newbie mistake I made.  

I would join the first tribe that invited me, and it took me awhile to realize that they were just asking me, so they could take all my resources and tames. I soon found myself doing nothing but standing around waiting on tames, feeding narcotics/narcos.  

Also, I can't tell you how many times it took me to learn to select "Ignore Group Commands" .. I must have screwed up my base and dinos order about 100 times before I realized that commanding parasaurs and dodos along with raptors to attack something was really dumb.

23 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

2. Used to think it was better to keep tamed dinos on wander so made a big massive pen to keep them all happily wandering. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Plus I thought they needed to be on wander, so that they could graze for food and not starve.

Finally I realized that YouTube videos could be useful.

Back when the Chalicotherium first came out (I’d been playing the for a year and 1/2), I went around looking to tame one, assuming it was just a regular k.o. tame. And sure enough, there was a beautifully colored level 60-something. So I wander up to it, just to get a good look before I tranq it...

Well, you can guess what happend next lol.

22 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Plus I thought they needed to be on wander, so that they could graze for food and not starve.

Finally I realized that YouTube videos could be useful.

Life became so much simpliar once I put all my dinos off wander. Youtube and the wiki quickly became my go to, to learn how to play :D

For my first few months playing ark I played solo, and when I was still a level 10 beach bob, I was strolling along the beach, gathering resources (like you do) and I saw just beyond the treeline a therizinosaurus. Since they had been added relatively recently I hadn’t read about them or anything, and went closer, because stupid dinosaur nerd me expected it’d be passive or at least neutral, as real life therizinos weren’t aggressive. I was DEAD WRONG. After it aggroed and attacked me (putting me at like half health) I attempted to flee but was killed almost instantly.

Later, when I got to early metal age, I decided that my fiber shortage was a big problem and I was gonna have to tame a gigantopithecus. With two stacks of mejoberries in hand, I sailed my trusty raft to the swamp river I knew would lead me to the redwoods. I believed my raptor would be able to protect me once I got there, but I kept getting stuck on trees and eventually my raptor died to a titanoboa I eventually killed, and I decided to continue on foot, as the redwoods were within sight. However almost immediately once I stepped into land I was ambushed clever girl style by a pack of (then unnerfed) troodons, and I died before I could get to my raft. And then I learned the sickle was a thing.

That same raft remains in the swamp to this day, and I occasionally stop by to visit it while flying around with tek armor.

2 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

Hahahahaha, oh god i would of been so PO'ed lol.  Funny thing is as a noob you didnt realize you did all that work for nothing special and then you lost it anyways xD

Heh, yep on that. Though, at that point I was still in the, "I'll never have enough hide," phase. This was followed by the, "What the heck am I going to do with all this hide?" phase. Then after finding a Rex saddle BP, I went full circle and found myself back in the, "I'll never have enough hide," phase.

I watched a bunch of YouTube Videos prior to playing the game, but they were mainly building videos, and I decided I would hop in a server, play solo, and build a little base.  I found a raft that I could claim, so I'm like a level 5 rolling around on this raft.  I made a taming raft out of it and for my first tame I figure I will get on of these therizinos that have killed me twenty times.  So, I have no idea how to tame anything, but I get one in my boat, knock it out with a slingshot, and hit YouTube.  Of course it wakes up and kills me because I am standing there in the boat next to it.  I knock it back out, then spend the next 3 or 4 hours hand gathering berries to both feed it and keep it knocked out.  With that being my first tame, I assumed that's how all of them went, so I pretty much decided to quit the game.  Thankfully I watched some more videos and got a couple apps and just realized I was a noob.  Although it sucked, I think it is cool that my very first tame was a theri, and I used a slingshot and hand gathered berries to do it.

19 minutes ago, Boshek77 said:

I watched a bunch of YouTube Videos prior to playing the game, but they were mainly building videos, and I decided I would hop in a server, play solo, and build a little base.  I found a raft that I could claim, so I'm like a level 5 rolling around on this raft.  I made a taming raft out of it and for my first tame I figure I will get on of these therizinos that have killed me twenty times.  So, I have no idea how to tame anything, but I get one in my boat, knock it out with a slingshot, and hit YouTube.  Of course it wakes up and kills me because I am standing there in the boat next to it.  I knock it back out, then spend the next 3 or 4 hours hand gathering berries to both feed it and keep it knocked out.  With that being my first tame, I assumed that's how all of them went, so I pretty much decided to quit the game.  Thankfully I watched some more videos and got a couple apps and just realized I was a noob.  Although it sucked, I think it is cool that my very first tame was a theri, and I used a slingshot and hand gathered berries to do it.

That is a really cool story though! A good one to tell the friends!

Not my own story but my cousins first day on the demo for Xbox one he knew you could tame dinosaurs so the first thing he did was run up to a turtle and punch it. It did not end well. When I first started playing he told me to never punch a turtle then told me the story. We still laugh about it today.
I remember when I started my cousins and I worked for hours and we built ourselves a nice thatch hut, when a TRex came by and started attacking. They ran inside I was already there and I was putting stuff in a box. We sat there thinking we were safe until the walls broke and there it was right in front of us. It killed us several time before we were able to kite it over a cliff. I also veggie tamed a 150 theri on official on a non event day because our previous one died and we didn't have kibble. 12 hours later well it would have been if it hadn't woke up. Re farmed all the narcotic because like an idiot I had it all inside the Theri. That's all I did that day. Swore I'd never do it again. Few weeks later it died again. Then we did 2 so we could breed them.

7 hours ago, CypherKadel said:

Not my own story but my cousins first day on the demo for Xbox one he knew you could tame dinosaurs so the first thing he did was run up to a turtle and punch it. It did not end well. When I first started playing he told me to never punch a turtle then told me the story. We still laugh about it today.

That is actually exactly how I tamed my first turtle! Only I started dying (obviously) and I started running for home, we fought it out right outside my base and my animals (at the time I had like 4 dodos and a parasaur) came running to save me RIGHT AS I DIED! I was so sad, like "Nooo they will all be killed!!!" But it was fate, I KOd him right as he killed me and they didnt kill him and he didn't kill them and I still have them all xD

day one.  I have been playing games my whole life so I thought I would spawn in at the north just because it said hard! 30 sec later I try medium. 30 more sec later I try easy.

anyway, took me 5 minutes to figure out how to get wood/thatch. I eventually needed hide. I tried to kill a turtle with my stone hatchet. that didn't work. I moved on to a parasuar. I chased that thing all the way up the beach, into the swamp on the east coast. I died without ever getting it.

Guest DJRone89

- Didn’t realise you could access your creatures inventory while mounted.

- Didn’t realise you could organise engrams in folder view.

- Didn’t realise the search bar existed on your player UI.

- Didn’t realise you could craft normal engrams on a crafting station if you had the blueprint.

1 hour ago, DJRone89 said:

- Didn’t realise you could craft normal engrams on a crafting station if you had the blueprint.

Thanks for that inventory tip. You just made harvesting a ton easier for me.

3 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

omg I think I went 9-10 months without knowing about F. When I did discover it, I found it because of one of those on screen tips and I thought it was new, I talked to my friends and they told me how it opens the inventory of a pet while mounted xD (Also didn't know about gamma for like 4 months!)

Guest DJRone89
31 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

omg I think I went 9-10 months without knowing about F. When I did discover it, I found it because of one of those on screen tips and I thought it was new, I talked to my friends and they told me how it opens the inventory of a pet while mounted xD (Also didn't know about gamma for like 4 months!)

I’m on Xbox, but back when we played legacy, one of the guys asked why we kept landing our flyers and said “just press X”. We still bring it up from time to time because it’s hilarious.

2 of what I Iisted, I found out when I moved to unofficials, months later lol.

P.S. Thank you for making this thread :D

I often reminisce on my early days compared to how I play now. Raft building has definitely come a long way.

Archived