"When I was a newbie..."

Cowgirl

I just want to hear the most hilarious stories from when you were a newbie. They can be because you were naive and adorably ignorant to the ways of ark, or anything funny! (those ones just amuse me the most)  For instance, when I was a newbie, and kibble had just been added a week or two prior I found a mammoth I wanted to tame. I had the eggs but I needed veggies and jerky. So I set to work making the jerky, I said something like "I doubt it will take that long to make the jerky!" ahahahahaha!!!! Oh how naive I was xD Also you should have seen me flip a lid when the dodos that I had had for like a month and a half suddenly started laying eggs!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DJRone89

- Trying to knock out an alpha Raptor with a club.

- Repeatedly killed by flying bugs because we didn’t realise spears were a thing.

First hour playing and ate a bunch of those blackberries and didn't understand why I blacked out. Then I started reading tooltips.

First time in the swamp I suddenly found myself flying through the brush and swampy trees, dying for what I thought was a bug. My friend said a little croc grabbed me ran off, while laughing at me.

I got millions of these crazy ark stories even ones from doing trades on here.

But when I was a noob after playing the game for a few weeks or so, i had amass a large army of fighting dinos. raptors, trikes, carnos, 1 rex and 1 spino being the best ones. I would take them all out to kill things around my base. was great fun for a noob. so one day i saw a titan near my base and so i brought out my fighting army to fight it thinking it would be like fighting a low lvl bronto. well i think u all know what happened. :(

On my first day I tried taming a parasaurus, but didn't know how to make it eat narco berries. So I just punched it to stay asleep, losing all efficiency.

Also, I refused to use any electrical stuff for a long time. It wasn't until I had a huge base on official legacy SE (craftet all that clay in mortar and pestle) that I first used fridges and stuff. I just always thought it wasn't really necessary.

3 hours ago, Finall said:

On my first day I tried taming a parasaurus, but didn't know how to make it eat narco berries. So I just punched it to stay asleep, losing all efficiency.

Also, I refused to use any electrical stuff for a long time. It wasn't until I had a huge base on official legacy SE (craftet all that clay in mortar and pestle) that I first used fridges and stuff. I just always thought it wasn't really necessary.

I was the same way, I didnt have electricity for like 9 months at least! But oil was a lot harder to get back in those days! 

When ark just came to consoles I was affraid to play single player but I gave in. I swam to herbivore island built a platform from foundations had no walls, no worries from predators we ll a stego fell on my platform and I attacked with my biggest carnos and it aggro'ed the stegos above most of my stuff was destroyed. Learned walls are your friend.

My first few hours in Ark were spent on the beach, taming dodos and a dilo. Then, up ahead I saw a raptor chomping on a carby. It had a lovely red glow to it ( :o ), which I thought looked cool :) As I approached, I saw it was "only" a level 4, so figured me and my little army could take it on no problems ;) After 5 deaths (and losing all of my tames), I decided to look up on the wiki exactly what the "alpha" meant in front of it's name...

Ah the perils of being a noob. I was a true noob as Ark is the first console game I've gotten into since the GameCube was a thing. I didn't know what the hotbar was so was constantly opening up my player menu to get items and such. That was a royal pain. I also couldn't walk and look around at the same time. My husband laughed at me endlessly for that. 

More directly related to Ark, carnos do NOT like being petted and if you're an idiot trying to take down a level 100 bronto with a slingshot on foot, you deserve to die by hilariously being flung off a cliff into the mouth of a waiting megalodon.

I too was 1 of those guys who didnt know how to drink water so i would run to the river, dive in, and get the fruit out before the piranha shredded me.  My first encounter with a theriz...I notice a bird rex and kinda avoided it but eventually i ended up close enough that i realized it wouldnt aggro like carnos.  I tamed a dilo dodo and sarco with a slingshot and built a thatch house relatively close to it.  In the middle of the night while im around my fire, my dodo goes flying and my sarco engages Mr squwakie pants.  Im like whats going on and see my sarco die.  As it rushes me my mind rapidly goes thru a process while being attacked.  im like why are you doing this, what i do to you, bring it you piece of crap!...Dead...Screw you Mr squwakie pants! lol

2 hours ago, wasser510 said:

I`ve wasted hundrets of narc arrows on an alpha carno because i wanted to tame it :D

(Had only Trike + Dodo at this point)

I did the same thing on alpha Raptor! :/

I didn't realize you had to forcefeed the narcotics and narco berries, and was getting mad that I kept losing the tame and all the resources I put in it's belly.

There was a bronto stuck halfway up a cliff, and I was out for revenge. For during an earlier session, on my non-dedicated with a friend, he had attacked a bronto because it was level four and he was level ten. He was used to MMORPG levels, thinking a level ten could easily defeat a level four, and we all know it doesn't quite work that way. So, back to the lust for revenge and greed for all the resources I was going to get. (That precious hide!)

I clambered my way up the cliff, managed to get above it, and drew out my new bow. Arrow after arrow went flying toward the behemoth. After several bow repairs and a break to make some more arrows, it was really bloody, and I was excited about what other treasures a monstrosity like this would drop. And then, the last arrow went flying toward it, impacting with a thunk, and . . . .

The bronto shot into fleeping space!

I was like, "But . . . but . . . mah treasure!"

4 hours ago, TheGalaxyReaper said:

Back when I first started playing I didn't know how to drink water so every time I was thirsty I would run my character in a river to fill my water. This continued for several weeks until I got my first tribemate who eventually saw me and ask "tf you doing". Haha

Back in the earliest of days that was the way to drink water! It was soooo annoying because there was always the chance of piranha, AND you could be dying of dehydration and be ALMOST under the water but not, and if you couldnd find a place (cause you couldn't lay down in the water back then either) that allowed you to fully submerge you would just die, press E was loved by all lol

1 hour ago, TheDrizzle404 said:

Pressed "e" while flying hundreds of feet in the air without a parachute because it's right next to "w." Oh wait, does it count if you still do that to this day?

Yes, yes it does!

The same goes for trying to write in chat but forget to open it. Usually ends with dismounting or whistle "follow all" :(

2 hours ago, BipedTadpole said:

Ah the perils of being a noob. I was a true noob as Ark is the first console game I've gotten into since the GameCube was a thing. I didn't know what the hotbar was so was constantly opening up my player menu to get items and such. That was a royal pain. I also couldn't walk and look around at the same time. My husband laughed at me endlessly for that. 

More directly related to Ark, carnos do NOT like being petted and if you're an idiot trying to take down a level 100 bronto with a slingshot on foot, you deserve to die by hilariously being flung off a cliff into the mouth of a waiting megalodon.

That's another thing newbie me did! I tried to kill a low lvl bronto that was near my base with a spear. Well at that point I only had one bed, and I didn't know about the cooldown, so I figured I would just die as many times as it took to kill this beast. The second time I died the bed didn't pop up as an option, i had no idea what was going on and nearly had a panic attack thinking I had lost everything by breaking my game somehow xD

Archived