Alpha Dragon (Island)

W4D

52 minutes ago, W4D said:

Grabbing unconscious people is fixed but that's not my problem. I need the trophy for the Tek Cave. And the megaloceros tactic doesn't work anymore because the dragon doesn't stay on your megaloceros, you don't have enough time to kill it.

Oh it works.  If you need to swap out "tanks" just get a different deer under it.  They last a long time with veggie cakes.

We did it a few weeks ago with a slightly less conventional method. There was only two of us.

10 rexes and 10 theris, theris were loaded with cakes. We went into the fight with the arritude of nuke it down with the rexes and once they die we will finish it off with the theris.

We got it done and lost six of the rexes and one theri.

we beat it couple weeks ago using 2 theris and 1 mammoth. The mammoth took care of the minions and with the 2 theris we walked under it like some do with deer. The 8 players not riding the theri stood far back with 298% shotguns and blasted it. On its third landing we killed it. However the mammoth rider got killed but we just did it for trophy, so no real loss as we all have engrams already.

7 hours ago, GGSDubSt3pz said:

we beat it couple weeks ago using 2 theris and 1 mammoth. The mammoth took care of the minions and with the 2 theris we walked under it like some do with deer. The 8 players not riding the theri stood far back with 298% shotguns and blasted it. On its third landing we killed it. However the mammoth rider got killed but we just did it for trophy, so no real loss as we all have engrams already.

and what happened when you woke up? :P

2 therezino riders + 1 mammoth rider + 8 people with shotguns (think 280% or 285% is maximum, not sure) = 11 people

13 hours ago, OttoGrunf said:

and what happened when you woke up? :P

2 therezino riders + 1 mammoth rider + 8 people with shotguns (think 280% or 285% is maximum, not sure) = 11 people

shotguns were 298% dmg and we had 10 players. The mammoth rider fired on dragon too once he got minions killed. We also did Tek cave yesterday with 6 players but without dinos. I like to try out ways that are not shown in every youtube video. We practise them on a private server with stuff similar to what we have on official and then we do it there. On legacy we even killed alpha dragon with pikes after we ran out of ammo?

I play on a unofficial dedicated server where wild dinos deal 3x damage, yet also take 3x more damage (faster, more furious PvM fights). You'd think the Alpha Dragon would be a cakewalk there due to his main danger (Firebreath, which inflicts a 20% Max Health DoT) not scaling with the damage multipliers, and him receiving 3x more damage, but nope.

Me and a tribemate (so 2 people) took in 18 Rexes (30k Health/800%+ Melee, 130+ Armor Saddles), 1 Yuty and 1 Daeodon with 140k Food. The Dragon (Alpha) managed to kill 6 Rexes, the Daeodon, and almost killed all the other dinos (one Rex was even down to 116 Health) before we took him down. He probably would have wiped us had i not been firing on him with a 260%+ Pump-Action Shotgun from the back of the Daeodon.

The fight was ALOT closer than i had expected it to be. I expected that the Alpha Dragon would've been easier than the Alpha Broodmother with our server settings, but nope, the Alpha Broodmother only managed to kill 2-3 Rexes when we did her. I had heard reports that the Devs messed something up with the Dragon and ended up making him harder when they tried to nerf the direct damage of his Firebreath by 50%, but i sure wasn't expecting that nasty of a buff.

I've ran alpha Dragon once, and we used 1 yuty, 1 pig, and the rest theri riders (like 7/8).

All the theris were born with at least 350 melee, and after leveling, you want 20k health and the rest into melee. Theri riders brought 30-50 cakes for their theri, as to heal when their health started getting low. all asc saddles of course, even though that doesn't matter with the fire breath. We tried to go for each theri has a mate boosted partners, but you can only do so much with so many people. Although, I plan to run it again with everyone on their own, imprinted theri. Or even try it with rexs, since if you aren't using AI, you don't need to worry about the lava.

We did use shotguns, but honestly, with the dragon in flying stage, I feel maybe assault rifles might do better, since the shotgun spray won't be as effective. once the dragon took off, we hopped off and shot the crap out of it. One person stayed on the theri to protect yuty and pig from ads. Some even suggest to bring 1 rex rider, as to more easily kill the ads with the rex's height.

As only so many theris can fit under the dragon for the DPS session as it lands, taking turns on which theris need to brunt the force of the flame breath. Rinse and repeat with each landing/flying phase...

1 hour ago, megaHammer said:

I've ran alpha Dragon once, and we used 1 yuty, 1 pig, and the rest theri riders (like 7/8).

Have you ran it since the v278 update? The devs intended to nerf the direct damage of the Dragon's Firebreath by 50% with that update (which would've made him somewhat easier), but they ended up messing something up and the Dragon became even harder. https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/305709-v278-dragon-boss-on-island-now-harder/

Good lord, so many people not reading that the Op is looking for info from the latest patch, when it was rumored to be bugged to do more damage instead of the intended less (this is pretty much confirmed from many other posts).    I'm also very interested in this info.

If you're posting about your experience from months ago or such it's not helping the discussion.

1 hour ago, Daedros said:

Have you ran it since the v278 update? The devs intended to nerf the direct damage of the Dragon's Firebreath by 50% with that update (which would've made him somewhat easier), but they ended up messing something up and the Dragon became even harder. https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/305709-v278-dragon-boss-on-island-now-harder/

I ran it around February 20th or so. Can't tell you an exact date. It was definitely after the TLC 1 update patch, as I didn't want to bring my VDAY rock drake to the island because I had to go find a drop to do it and not use the transmitter (hence why we ran alpha drag...), so yeah, after the update.

Also need to mention that we lost 3/4 theris and the yuty by the end of it. I did notice the cake problems, but since it was my first run on alpha, I can't speak for the fire breath change.

19 hours ago, OttoGrunf said:

hahahaha sure hahahaha

Well it had only like 5%hp left all dinos died and we ran out of ammo so we ran below it cause there is a safe zone. The dragon cant hit whats below it. Me and my mate died but the rest made it and piked the rest of the hp down. Dragon is actually easy with a big team and using the strategy to have something stand below it. But it surely is not something i would grind for element.

Archived