keep losing everything!

tarntg

On 3/16/2018 at 12:26 PM, TBoa said:

Dude pull out your map and head to the island that’s in the bottom right corner (SW) I think the east 1 or east 3, spawn point gets you real close to it. there isn’t a single aggressive Dino that spawns on that island. go there build a base make some narc tame a few dinos.  (pteradons are good early mounts just bola one when it lands and shoot it in the head) 

I would like to add something, while this is by far the easiest spot, if you plan on using rafts to move to and from there, know that there is a water creature called leedsichthys that spawns rather commonly around that island that takes pleasure in sinking your rafts, so be careful, and don't head out that way if you see a massive whale of a fish swimming by.

The best beginner spot to setup on on the island map is a lil island in south2 spawn.  The river forks around it and the ocean is on the other side.  Theres a large rock formation that forms a lil tunnel on it.  Easy access to trees, bushes, just a lil hike northeast is a bunch of metal nodes and the hunter cave is down a beaten path to the west for chitin, obsidian and crystal.  Theres some oil close to your island in the ocean, a simple water based tame will allow you to get the oil easily.  In the 30s you should have stone buildings.  Stone is immune to all animals except the titan(rare and not hostile), the giga(Doesnt spawn anywhere near here), and the dunkle(cant leave the water).  As for dino lvls, the games default sets wild dinos max lvl to like 34.  If your playing solo or on your own server youll have to change the difficulty to 1.  Youll also have to check the max difficulty box to get the dinos to what they are supposed to be.  The loot you get out of drops will also be better like this.  If your solo or private server youll want to uncheck the single player settings box because it makes your tames and exp gain to strong.  The higher difficulty actually makes the game easier.  Tamed higher lvl dinos receive way more lvls and the lvls you put into your dino by experience are worth more on higher lvl dinos.  Tamed lvls are percentage based on the stats it has once tamed.

Guest DJRone89
6 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

Stone is immune to all animals except the titan(rare and not hostile), the giga(Doesnt spawn anywhere near here), and the dunkle(cant leave the water).

This information is incorrect. You missed out Therizinosaurs and more importantly, all alpha predators.

Guest DJRone89
Just now, invincibleqc said:

The Chalicos, Deathworms and the Golems as well.

OP is on The Island. Didn’t feel the need to mention SE creatures, but you may be wrong about the Chalico as I’m 99% sure they can only damage wood. Chalicos throw a mud boulder, not a rock boulder like the Rock Golem.

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

OP is on The Island. Didn’t feel the need to mention SE creatures, but you may be wrong about the Chalico as I’m 99% sure they can only damage wood. Chalicos throw a mud boulder, not a rock boulder like the Rock Golem.

Unless it was changed, they used to. They are even still listed on the wiki: https://ark.gamepedia.com/List_of_Creatures_That_Can_Damage_Structures

50 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

This information is incorrect. You missed out Therizinosaurs and more importantly, all alpha predators.

Crap ya i forgot about them.  Theriz almost never wander to the island i mention and alphas only have 1 or 2 raptor spawns not even within render range.  I always forget the theriz because i just cant see it hurting stone lol.  Im also 99% certain that the chalico cant hurt stone, but the devs are constantly changing things so you never know.

Guest DJRone89
10 minutes ago, Onimusha759 said:

Crap ya i forgot about them.  Theriz almost never wander to the island i mention and alphas only have 1 or 2 raptor spawns not even within render range.  I always forget the theriz because i just cant see it hurting stone lol.  Im also 99% certain that the chalico cant hurt stone, but the devs are constantly changing things so you never know.

Wild therizs don’t headbutt thankfully but alphas have a habbit of just appearing out of no where if you’re aren’t careful, especially after alpha spawns were made more frequent on that map.

However, render distance on SP is much easier to maintain because outside forces can’t interfere and kite something that would have just stayed in stasis.

On 16/03/2018 at 10:34 PM, RipRavage said:

Where you spawn does not affect creature level, but there are areas that you should avoid because they are dangerous, like the redwoods or any swamp.  Near red obelisk there are swamps which have tons of titanboas and kaprosuchus, which are dangerous for low level players.  Build yourself a raft house like I said in my previous post that way you can explore the island from relative safety, alphas generally wont follow you too deep into water.  You can increase the difficulty slider to 1 if you want to get dinosaurs with a max level of 120, but you will have to console command a dino wipe with "destroywilddinos".  If you want anything higher you will have to overidemaxdifficulty in the ini file.

Consider downloading the Dododex app onto your smart phone if you have one, or just use the page

http://www.dododex.com/

I know you are new, so here is a resource spawn map for the island so you can know where to go to get stuff like metal and pearls.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Resource_Map_(The_Island)

Also, learn to make taming rafts, they are better than static traps in that you can move them out of dangerous areas after you have KOed a creature.  As you can see from the video below, even gigas can be tamed using rafts.

Thank you so much for the advice I'll definitely try it later cause I'm halfway now building a new base. Also I've seem others doing leedsichthys proof raft so living on a raft sounds pretty much perfect lol

On 16/03/2018 at 10:49 PM, RageQuitter said:

It doesn't affect difficulty level but if you're close to red then you're in an area where raptors, therizinos, carnos & alpha raptors spawn plus you'll see sarcos and maybe the odd baryonyx & spino between Craggs Island and the swamp, things are a little easier if you move to the footpaw which is the thin strip of land around 77 lat 37 lon or the beach around 81 33, worst spawns you'll usually find there are dilos, well apart from pegos & ichthyornis.

Just keep at it and you'll learn what dinos spawn in certain areas which make it easier to plan things early game, unless you decided to go online that is, then you usually find someone has already built where you planned on settling.

everything you mentioned up there i've seen lol. Got killed by all them except for the spino. I actually spawn on that thin strip of island and its not safe at all

12 minutes ago, tarntg said:

everything you mentioned up there i've seen lol. Got killed by all them except for the spino. I actually spawn on that thin strip of island and its not safe at all

I've never had any issues spawning on South 1, in single player anyway, tend to avoid spawning in that area online unless it's a clean server, sometimes a spino will spawn on the left side of the strip of land as you look north, if it does then I'll usually set up on the beach opposite Craggs Island or on the rocky area around 80 30.

Nowhere is truly 100% safe apart from herbivore island but then you have to look out for leeds, especially if you're taking tames over on a raft, been sunk a few times around there, plus I'm not too keen on building on there, as soon as I put a foundation down it seems to be a magnet for every bronto, trike & stego on the island to come stomping around xD

You could also try doing an explorer note run, there's plenty in the south of the island and you can easily get to level 60 in a hour or so once you learn where they are, I like to do that then kill myself and spawn in north 2 area then start from there.

Like I said in my last post just keep at it and you'll gradually learn, everybody starting as a new player had rough starts as it's the nature of the game, in a few weeks time you'll only be getting killed if you do something stupid :D

37 minutes ago, RageQuitter said:

I've never had any issues spawning on South 1, in single player anyway, tend to avoid spawning in that area online unless it's a clean server, sometimes a spino will spawn on the left side of the strip of land as you look north, if it does then I'll usually set up on the beach opposite Craggs Island or on the rocky area around 80 30.

Nowhere is truly 100% safe apart from herbivore island but then you have to look out for leeds, especially if you're taking tames over on a raft, been sunk a few times around there, plus I'm not too keen on building on there, as soon as I put a foundation down it seems to be a magnet for every bronto, trike & stego on the island to come stomping around xD

You could also try doing an explorer note run, there's plenty in the south of the island and you can easily get to level 60 in a hour or so once you learn where they are, I like to do that then kill myself and spawn in north 2 area then start from there.

Like I said in my last post just keep at it and you'll gradually learn, everybody starting as a new player had rough starts as it's the nature of the game, in a few weeks time you'll only be getting killed if you do something stupid :D

The location i mentioned has all resources available in reasonable range and no large predators spawn there unless you go a ways up stream.  The theriz dont seem to like crossing the river and carnos almost never roam there.  You may get a sarco but they arnt really dangerous out of the water.  All you really have is a bunch of wild dodos walking your beach laying eggs for you, which sets you up for the pteradon and dolphin.

4 hours ago, tarntg said:

Thank you so much for the advice I'll definitely try it later cause I'm halfway now building a new base. Also I've seem others doing leedsichthys proof raft so living on a raft sounds pretty much perfect lol

I'm happy to help, Just remember eventually you can unlock the motorboat, which takes little damage from standard leedsichthys and can have a lot more structures on it.  Even if you do settle down it is always good to have a nice portable raft base so you can move around the island when you are taming different creatures in different regions, it sure beats throwing sleeping bags down, and you can always work on grinding other stuff like metal on your ship while you are waiting for long tames like gigas to finish.

Guest DJRone89
3 hours ago, covenantgrunt said:

Ark is about the experience, the journey rather than the destination. If you put too much value on things Ark is not a fun game to play. You will lose your stuff frequently, whether brutal soul crushing PvP in officials or frustrating bugs in friendliest PVE servers.

OP is playing on singleplayer so they can only really relate to the bugs which occur on all game modes. Plus they can edit settings to enjoy a PvE experience without limiting themselves to the restrictions on official, such as anti-grief measures, building in caves etc.

My stepfather tried joining my tribe but all his stuff was on tribe owned...he now can't get back in his original tribe so he's going to lose a yrs worth of stuff. Is they anyone that can help. Maybe a moderator can put him back in or is there a way he can do it himself. Oh ya we play on an official server so not sure what to do.

2 minutes ago, Xjmonster said:

My stepfather tried joining my tribe but all his stuff was on tribe owned...he now can't get back in his original tribe so he's going to lose a yrs worth of stuff. Is they anyone that can help. Maybe a moderator can put him back in or is there a way he can do it himself. Oh ya we play on an official server so not sure what to do.

If its on singleplayer or dedicated you or an admin can use commands

8 hours ago, Triggor said:

Download some mods that keep your inventory on death, and that drop revivable graves for your Dinos, they are useful

Might as well play in god mode that way.  I dont promote cheating but 1 mod id be happy to see in game is the tek binoculars.  Anyone on console cant get mods, so people like me are poop outta luck til someone makes it standard

If you're using your dinos there is not much you can do other than being paranoid all the time unless its a dino like a rex that can generally take on everything. If they are dying in your base you can keep them in a pen. If on single player and if you're in a fairly safe area away from tall dinos and aggressive flyers you can just build some ceilings on top of pillars that are 3 or 4 high and keep you're tames on passive and break the ramp everytime you need to leave.

Archived