Easiest creature to raise?

AnnabelTamara

Just now, AnnabelTamara said:

What is the easiest dino/ creature to raise? Thinking time wise and availability/ ease of collecting what it eats wise. How long between feeding and how often you have to actively care for it.

Depending on what tames you have at your disposal for raising such creature, I would find that wyverns are one of the easiest to do because wyvern traps are often easy to come by and wyverns require milk only ever few hours. 

Megatherium IMO.  They can eat meat or berries and they have jacked up imprinting.  They get 100% imprint when they are only at 60% maturation.  They have really high weight, so during baby phase you can put a ton of food on them relatively quickly.  The only 'difficult' part of raising them is that they require gestation versus incubation.  You need to breed them many hours before you're ready to start handling them as babies.  This is easier than incubation in that you don't need air conditioners, but more difficult in that you can't 'pre-cook' a baby megatherium to hatch on demand.

As far as their utility once they're done, they have a lot of uses.  They do great damage and get a berserker buff for a good period of time after killing an insect.  Nothing in the wild really aggros to them except larger carnivores and alpha dinos.  They can gather meat, berries, fiber, hide and thatch.  They have amazing base weight and I am 90% sure you can shoot a weapon off them while riding.  Upgraded saddles from supply drops for them are also relatively common.

Finding a breeding pair is also pretty easy.  They are common spawns and tame with near-kibble level efficiency from giant bee honey.  Hardest issue is carrying them to base, which requires a wyvern or quetz.

13 minutes ago, Brayn said:

Megatherium IMO.  They can eat meat or berries and they have jacked up imprinting.  They get 100% imprint when they are only at 60% maturation.  They have really high weight, so during baby phase you can put a ton of food on them relatively quickly.  The only 'difficult' part of raising them is that they require gestation versus incubation.  You need to breed them many hours before you're ready to start handling them as babies.  This is easier than incubation in that you don't need air conditioners, but more difficult in that you can't 'pre-cook' a baby megatherium to hatch on demand.

As far as their utility once they're done, they have a lot of uses.  They do great damage and get a berserker buff for a good period of time after killing an insect.  Nothing in the wild really aggros to them except larger carnivores and alpha dinos.  They can gather meat, berries, fiber, hide and thatch.  They have amazing base weight and I am 90% sure you can shoot a weapon off them while riding.  Upgraded saddles from supply drops for them are also relatively common.

Finding a breeding pair is also pretty easy.  They are common spawns and tame with near-kibble level efficiency from giant bee honey.  Hardest issue is carrying them to base, which requires a wyvern or quetz.

You can definitely shoot off of them, they're great for caving (if you can get them into the cave, I only go to the chitin cave) because they take the hit from centipedes and not much agros them.

3 hours ago, AnnabelTamara said:

What is the easiest dino/ creature to raise? Thinking time wise and availability/ ease of collecting what it eats wise. How long between feeding and how often you have to actively care for it.

If you're looking to get started with breeding, I'd recommend starting with small creatures with short gestation/incubation and maturation times. My introduction to breeding was with dimos, and I found it to be a really good learning curve.

10 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

Rock drakes are the easiest in the game by a wide margin, like wyverns but namless venom is much simpler to get than milk and they only take 4 imprints that are always cuddles for 100%.

Except for the fact that rock drake eggs are a million times harder to get than wyvern eggs.  You literally need a rock drake to make getting rock drakes easy, you can get a wyvern on scorched super easy by just having a pteranodon.  Then when you need milk you kite a alpha wyvern out of the trench into a pack of rexes or whatever and profit.

Vultures are super easy raises. 1hr 30 min egg timer, 2hr 30 minute baby timer. eat spoiled meat. 

Once they are Juvie you can fill a trough with half spoiled and half raw meat and it will naturally replenish itself. If you fill two troughs, one like mentioned, one with all raw meat, you only need to show up for imprints. 

13 hours ago, RipRavage said:

Except for the fact that rock drake eggs are a million times harder to get than wyvern eggs.  You literally need a rock drake to make getting rock drakes easy, you can get a wyvern on scorched super easy by just having a pteranodon.  Then when you need milk you kite a alpha wyvern out of the trench into a pack of rexes or whatever and profit.

OP didn't ask about acquiring the eggs or parents just what dino was easiest to raise, i answered that question.  FYI you can get drake eggs easy enough with just a Karkinos or spino.

I would suggest Argentavis as of next TLC  the become mobile smithy. Easy to medium raise but decent weight when imp and level can go well over 3k. Dire bears are pregnancy but with high weight and easy tame (carno kibble) also high weight so can get more meat on quicker, meat in trough when juve also veggies in inv as back up for when meat spoils. All dinos have 8 hour care time. Both suggestions are 2 day raise.

2 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

OP didn't ask about acquiring the eggs or parents just what dino was easiest to raise, i answered that question.  FYI you can get drake eggs easy enough with just a Karkinos or spino.

I addressed this in another thread, but I prefer to use a spino to get impregnated early on, then use the reaper to get eggs.  Even a level 80 reaper (lowest it can be with +75 levels) will wreck the drake trench solo with no danger (other than the one spot on the map where reapers get stuck in a floating state).  Couple that with the fact that reapers have their leap to get around easily in the trench.

To the OP, easiest to raise, by a HUMONGOUS margin, is the rock drake.  Doesn't need any food for several hours after birth, when it does need food, you just farm ~10 nameless venom with practically any decent carnivore in the blue zone.  4 "E" presses throughout the 4 days will get 100% imprint every time.  Next up is the reaper king.  As someone else mentioned, have your inventory completely full upon birth, don't use a pheromone, claim it on birth and it'll eat you taking all the meat into its inventory.  At this point, leave it alone for the next 7 hours and 45 minutes.  At that time, it dings juvenile and is ready to come into your barn with the rest of your dinos.  The window for imprinting is pretty generous too with about a 5 hour total window at 100%.  (by comparison, a glowtail has about a 30 minute total window).  After that, I would say wyverns are next, but it's a pretty dramatic difference from reapers and a whole different world from drakes.

1 hour ago, ryanyyyy11 said:

dodo is ur best choice...

Except it isn't. Even at 9.9% they only will hold a few pounds meaning at max one stack of berries. This means you need to literally stand there hand feeding the thing through the bulk of it's baby stage. It doesn't take much less time than any other small dino. It's really not that good of a baby to raise and they have absolutely no benefit by being raised so don't waste your time. Something like an anky or doed (other than the fact its a mammal and has gestation instead of eggs) will be actually a much easier baby than a dodo would. After the first 10-15 mins they will have enough weight built up you can just fill up their inventory and ignore them for a little while. 

Depending on the availability of your resources:

Wyverns are pretty easy. Same as Drakes. They don’t eat much and only need to be fed every few hours. 

Bears are super easy to raise on berries. They don’t eat much. 

Small carnivores like wolves/raptors are also quite easy. 

Barry’s aren’t awful it just depends on your ability to gather large fish quantities. 

Archived