lysergicsid

Overhaul Mammalian Breeding

I'll keep it brief, but why not make mammals breed, grow and operate like real life? There are two major changes that would facilitate this:

1) Lactation

The mother, after giving birth, should feed the baby through lactation until it becomes a juvenile. This could be as simple as just making the baby follow the mother, and if the baby is close it will be fed at the expense of the mother's food stat (animation not necessary). The mother will eat more to account for food provided through milk.

2) Multi-gestation

When cats, dogs and many other mammals give birth, they have litters (e.g. 6-8 babies at once). Why not make wolves, sabertooths, purlovias, etc give birth to higher numbers of offspring? If that's logistically a problem, you could even just make the rate of twins and triplets way higher in mammals that have litters. Either way it would give more of a parallel to real-life mammals.

1 minute ago, lysergicsid said:

I'll keep it brief, but why not make mammals breed, grow and operate like real life? There are two major changes that would facilitate this:

1) Lactation

The mother, after giving birth, should feed the baby through lactation until it becomes a juvenile. This could be as simple as just making the baby follow the mother, and if the baby is close it will be fed at the expense of the mother's food stat (animation not necessary). The mother will eat more to account for food provided through milk.

2) Multi-gestation

When cats, dogs and many other mammals give birth, they have litters (e.g. 6-8 babies at once). Why not make wolves, sabertooths, purlovias, etc give birth to higher numbers of offspring? If that's logistically a problem, you could even just make the rate of twins and triplets way higher in mammals that have litters. Either way it would give more of a parallel to real-life mammals.

Like the lactation part but would have to disagree with the litter size. On high pop servers with people already popping out thylas like tic-tacs, upping the rate of twins, triplets would be a nightmare. The server I play on has bases filled with thylas. That's all they do is breed thylas and NEVER use them. They log on the feed and that' it. 

A 2 day maturation on those is why I'm thinking they breed them, but they aren' that great outside of running some caves. No one on rag traverses the map on a thyla regularly. And to say you do is bs. You hop on a wyvern and fly from red to green. 

So TLDR: upping the rate of twins triplets on mammals isn't a good idea. Lactaton from the mother is 100% solid idea

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BigRed1227 said:

Like the lactation part but would have to disagree with the litter size. On high pop servers with people already popping out thylas like tic-tacs, upping the rate of twins, triplets would be a nightmare. The server I play on has bases filled with thylas. That's all they do is breed thylas and NEVER use them. They log on the feed and that' it. 

A 2 day maturation on those is why I'm thinking they breed them, but they aren' that great outside of running some caves. No one on rag traverses the map on a thyla regularly. And to say you do is bs. You hop on a wyvern and fly from red to green. 

So TLDR: upping the rate of twins triplets on mammals isn't a good idea. Lactaton from the mother is 100% solid idea

Thanks for the constructive reply BigRed1227.

Yeah, I agree with you that the structure of most official servers (and some unofficial) would not accommodate the litter idea. It would also probably be more ammo for spammers to reach server pop cap and cause issues for other tribes.

Edited by lysergicsid

On 3/13/2018 at 12:58 PM, lysergicsid said:

Thanks for the constructive reply BigRed1227.

Yeah, I agree with you that the structure of most official servers (and some unofficial) would not accommodate the litter idea. It would also probably be more ammo for spammers to reach server pop cap and cause issues for other tribes.

I do provide constructive criticism every now and again 😉

I hope that the kibble rework will allow players to finally get rid of the massive farms they have. Cap is a real thing on consoles. On rag, 500 dino limit per tribe, 70 player slot per server. That is 35k dinos that should be allowed to be tamed/bred. But wc put it at 5500 total for a server. Not including rafts which count as 10. Any structure built on a platform dino now counts as 19. 

I get the reasoning as it effects server performance but so does tail wagging and stationary dino movements. Tail wags should be eliminated or reduced a great deal, head following animations shouldn't exist. The only thing that should happen is the eating and pooping animations on unridden dinos.