Turret Hard Cap Active

Frak

So its active, turrets are hard capped at 100 .... how about some feed back from everyone's servers now that everyone has reduced their numbers or been wiped cause they didn't ....... Did it do what it said on the tin? 

Certainly from my point of view on what was stated as one of the worse offending servers, ping has dropped slightly at some points in the day but the rubber banding and horrendous lag has not, if anything it has got worse.

yall are looking at the overall server lag problem. Thats not what they were fixing guys, they were fixing the fact that the server CRASHED/became unplayable when someone tried to raid a base with 1000 or more auto turrets on it. 

it wasn't a fix for all of the server lag, still need to better think dino tame limits and use bigger base pieces and have a base piece limit to help with that issue. :)

get it? They fixed constant crashing during a raid not server lag altogether. 

ohh and so far my play on ORP servers, even going as far as doing bosses i have not needed/ made more than 35 turrets for a base. Also haven't been successfully raided, although we've also only had to stop one good attempt at raiding our base. Soo it has not affected me any in terms of defence. 

2 hours ago, MikeLitorus said:

yall are looking at the overall server lag problem. Thats not what they were fixing guys, they were fixing the fact that the server CRASHED/became unplayable when someone tried to raid a base with 1000 or more auto turrets on it. 

it wasn't a fix for all of the server lag, still need to better think dino tame limits and use bigger base pieces and have a base piece limit to help with that issue. :)

get it? They fixed constant crashing during a raid not server lag altogether. 

ohh and so far my play on ORP servers, even going as far as doing bosses i have not needed/ made more than 35 turrets for a base. Also haven't been successfully raided, although we've also only had to stop one good attempt at raiding our base. Soo it has not affected me any in terms of defence. 

I'm pretty sure you are wrong. Go read the post's they did about it again.

Even if you are right we recently had a mega try and raid our server only for the lag to be so bad the server crashed and then rolled back to just before they pulled all their tames out the ob and they lost them all. Great fix......not

2 hours ago, Jamage007 said:

Lag is maybe a little better on my server but its still really really bad. I had a feeling the turret nerf would do jack and I was right.

Based on the no data available you've decided that what you already determined would be the result prior to the change is actually the confirmed result after the change? Interesting. 

38 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Based on the no data available you've decided that what you already determined would be the result prior to the change is actually the confirmed result after the change? Interesting. 

Based on the data that my server is just pretty much just as laggy as it ever was and speaking to other players and from doing trades on other servers It sure seems that way. I would love them to prove me wrong but im kinda used to being let down by Wildcard now.

we stayed below turret limit since the first soft limit rolled out and it didn't change anything it made it even worse. Because now if you want to have a solid base defence you have to spread your base in a very big areas and spread loads of medium sized turret towers. Having to claim bigger areas with loads of structutres causes even  more lag. The idea of the turret limit might work for small or medium sized mid game tribes but not for endgame alpha or mega tribes. The size that big tribes bases have now grown to is just too much for the servers. It only needs one big tribe on a server to make it hell a laggy when they are around their base and in most cases there is minimum 2 big tribes on one server. This also leeds to a different problem that many people seem to complain about on this forum: bigger tribes wiping of smaller tribes of their servers. Most of the big tribes dont wipe small tribes just because its fun or they gain anything from doing so. No, its simply because they dont want any other bases to cause more lag on their servers, thats why they wipe small tribes early stage, so they dont waste a lot of time building up to than be wiped.This might have gone a little of the topic now, but 1 man tribes or small tribes need to start understanding why bigger tribes are doing so. More bases means more tames and structutres and that equals more lag. Either team up with already grown tribes or you will probably find yourself beeing wiped every week. Anyways back to the actual topic: lag won't disappear because of turret limit especially on big bases.

We have friends across multiple clusters and ALL of them have seen almost NO improvement in the lag, either during full-on raids or with 3 people on.    Raids still cause servers to crash or lag to the point of being unable to move.   Low-pop times are now experiencing rubber-banding like we haven't seen in months.

This game is still in early access., as far as I'm concerned. 

16 hours ago, Jamage007 said:

Based on the data that my server is just pretty much just as laggy as it ever was and speaking to other players and from doing trades on other servers It sure seems that way. I would love them to prove me wrong but im kinda used to being let down by Wildcard now.

Believe it or not, "me and some people I traded with agree that the turret cap didn't help" isn't the kind data used to determine whether server performance changed or stayed the same. Seems to me you expected disappointment and went out looking to be disappointed. What a surprise that you came out the other side disappointed without having any more actual data than you did before you left.

I guess we'll see for sure if WC releases any before/after server performance comparisons. 

1 hour ago, LouSpowells said:

Believe it or not, "me and some people I traded with agree that the turret cap didn't help" isn't the kind data used to determine whether server performance changed or stayed the same. Seems to me you expected disappointment and went out looking to be disappointed. What a surprise that you came out the other side disappointed without having any more actual data than you did before you left.

I guess we'll see for sure if WC releases any before/after server performance comparisons. 

willing to bet that won’t happen. wild card tends to make sudden changes without double takes. they only look at player feedback when it comes to adding new things to the game, not restricting things. they would rather us suck it up and accept whatever changes have been made.

2 minutes ago, Demigod said:

willing to bet that won’t happen. wild card tends to make sudden changes without double takes. they only look at player feedback when it comes to adding new things to the game, not restricting things. 

The reason game developers don't typically consult with players about "nerfs" is because people don't like or want nerfs. There's nothing to discuss. Most players don't favor balance over convenience...and that's why developers from all games rarely consider the "plz don't nerf!" feedback.

Sometimes developers will realize that the nerf was a bit much and roll the nerf back, but that's rare.

2 minutes ago, Demigod said:

they would rather us suck it up and accept whatever changes have been made.

Yes. That's exactly what video game developers want players to do after nerfs.

People see what they want to see, most of the time.  If you are a cynic that thinks WC are unscrupulous bounders that can't get anything right you relish anything you feel proves your point.  So of course every change just "proves me right".

I will wait for some actual data from WC.  Mean time, I have still experienced lags and rubber banding, but the last large battle with a big base being taken out did not crash or roll back the server, and it was still playable.  From my own subjective experience it was better than the last time that base was attacked.  But since I don't have access to meaningful measures I have nothing but my opinion to offer.  You know, just like the rest of us players.

If they look at the numbers and it made no difference they will raise or remove the cap.  But it would be pretty silly to think nothing changed as they were working from actual performance analysis of the servers.

I am hoping they next look at how to improve the performance of the massive amounts of tames, and maybe large structures as well.

If WildCard paid attention to these forums or even cared one iota about feedback, TRH or someone else would respond to this post.  TRH went out of his way to discuss this change on reddit.  It's no stretch to expect them to come on here and similarly discuss/defend the change.  The silence is pretty damning here I'm afraid and considering I haven't seen even one post from someone who actually plays on official servers describing a noticable increase in performance, I'd have to believe the change had minimal impact.

I would guess the biggest performance suck is that servers database and querie every structure and tame ever placed on a map and never delete said entries from the database even after those structures/tames are killed or destroyed as the major cause of the lag and performance issues... but fixing that would require more than a band-aid.

3 minutes ago, Brayn said:

If WildCard paid attention to these forums or even cared one iota about feedback, TRH or someone else would respond to this post.  TRH went out of his way to discuss this change on reddit.  It's no stretch to expect them to come on here and similarly discuss/defend the change.  The silence is pretty damning here I'm afraid and considering I haven't seen even one post from someone who actually plays on official servers describing a noticable increase in performance, I'd have to believe the change had minimal impact.

I would guess the biggest performance suck is that servers database and querie every structure and tame ever placed on a map and never delete said entries from the database even after those structures/tames are killed or destroyed as the major cause of the lag and performance issues... but fixing that would require more than a band-aid.

I think this wins some kind of record for number of assumptions and wild guesses in two paragraphs.

13 hours ago, Yster said:

I cant even place 100 turrets.. 

Untitled.thumb.jpg.55aecfceffeec944ec5ee1ae68d94043.jpg

Look at your other turrets and you will probably find some that show over the 100.  The calculation is by radius from the turret you are looking at, so it might have been deactivated due to exceeding 100 from one of the other turrets radius.  Think of a venn diagram.

7 hours ago, BoboOfTheFriendlies said:

Look at your other turrets and you will probably find some that show over the 100.  The calculation is by radius from the turret you are looking at, so it might have been deactivated due to exceeding 100 from one of the other turrets radius.  Think of a venn diagram.

some shows 24 / 100 and still give me the error.. surely it should pickup the 100 turrets before it deactivates?why would  some pick more than other or not pick up all the turrets at the same time.. 

If enemy player turrets count towards the 100 turret cap, wouldn't it just be easier to place a generator and turrets down close an enemy's base and deactivate their turrets as I activate mine?

if I can place species X on a paracer and manually water them, I should be able to walk into a enemies base as my turrets will count to their cap, and the more I have with me the less they will have ?

1 hour ago, Hobgobblin247 said:

Pardon my thinking but if you don't like the direction the developers are taking the game, you don't have to play it? Am I wrong? 

So jog on son..

if youre on a PvP server and a solo player with a few C4 and a lvl 55 stego wipes you because youre 100 turret limit wassnt as the developers promised.. it sort of sucks. 

also your comment was rude and uncalled for.. we want purely what was promised.. 

8 hours ago, BoboOfTheFriendlies said:

Thats the problem with current system: if at one place you have more than 100 turrets - a random turret in radius deactivates (source: v278 patchnotes/TLC phase 1 thread), even if it is on outskirts where the current limit is much lower.
Imo, how the system should work: if at any point there is more than 100 turrets in range - deactivate turret that has this check being performed on.

As it is now it creates a vicious cycle - you place a turret on outskirts where the limit is well under 100 and somewhere else another turret goes offline, because central cluster of turrets might have gone over the limit.

@TheRightHand

Archived